Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

series 9 was also about characters evolving but people either don't see past the facade of "the hybrid" or dislike the plot because clara and the doctor's codependence is a depressing thing to watch develop.

The hybrid stuff was terrible, sorry. I know you like Clara more than most but I was pretty bored with her at that point, and really really bored with Moffat's mystery tease bullshit.

I know there was some of that in series 10 but at least the Master in a box thing was pretty obvious and didn't take up much time , and it also involves the Master so is therefore good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

series 9 was also about characters evolving but people either don't see past the facade of "the hybrid" or dislike the plot because clara and the doctor's codependence is a depressing thing to watch develop.

I liked series 9 but the arc totally functioned as a mystery for most of the story and the "subversion of expectations" at the end IMO detracted from the evolution of the characters and the focus on the Doctor and Clara's dysfunctional and yet very pure relationship.

EDIT: This is all IMO anyway, it's not like I'm a critic or an authority and you don't really have to agree with my subjective lens and interpretation of Moffat's writing style.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

extremis is cool though

I did like Extremis.

I actually liked Pyramid At The End Of The World even if it had some flaws (most notably not doing anything useful with the resolution of Extremis).

Lie of the Land is also an episode of Doctor Who.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I loved Series 10, and by the end I was basically begging Capaldi to stay another season, which is probably how I would have felt if I was watching Eccleston's season in real time.

There is only one thing in this cynical world that will make me scream and laugh like a child, and it's if Eccleston pops up on DW again.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

stratofarius posted:

I loved Series 10, and by the end I was basically begging Capaldi to stay another season, which is probably how I would have felt if I was watching Eccleston's season in real time.

There is only one thing in this cynical world that will make me scream and laugh like a child, and it's if Eccleston pops up on DW again.

Same on both points. I was really happy when Eccleston briefly popped up in the Day of the Doctor even though it was just re-used footage. I was also disappointed that we didn't get to properly see War regenerate into Nine, although I do respect Moffat for not doing that without Eccleston's consent.

I'm not into Big Finish, but I'd be really happy just for Eccleston to do something with them. He has done a couple of little fan things here and there, so it's not completely without hope...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

When BF released The Ninth Doctor Chronicles, they said they contacted Eccleston about working with him. Apparently his response was he wasn't interested at the time, but he wasn't going to close the door on doing it in the future.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the actual nixon-era silence thing is great and then the silence ends up being a stupid puzzle box

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

the actual nixon-era silence thing is great and then the silence ends up being a stupid puzzle box

This is one of my least favourite moments in the whole silence saga. Moffat can be great but he needs someone to tell him when his ideas are stupid and bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gr7RAFYUS4

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

marktheando posted:

This is one of my least favourite moments in the whole silence saga. Moffat can be great but he needs someone to tell him when his ideas are stupid and bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gr7RAFYUS4
More than that, he needs somebody to tell him when it's a bad idea because he'd already done it better.

How many libraries of dead people did he write? Three?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RattyBurvil/status/1148909126203904001

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I remember watching Season 6 as it aired. What happened to the Silence was like a micro version of what happened to the Daleks over the years- going from spooky and frightening to 'okay. we get it. please stop.'

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I've been rewatching the Matt Smith years on and off and one thing really strikes me about the Silence arc: once you know the reveals of Time Of The Doctor, Kovarian's sect officially become the dumbest fuckers alive. Their radical plan to save the universe from being destroyed in the Second Time War results in them not only creating the very crack they want to prevent from being opened, but causing the end of the universe twice while the man they're trying to kill rushes around and fixes the universe-ending fuckup they created.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

docbeard posted:

Lie of the Land is also an episode of Doctor Who.

Not content to merely insult my intelligence, Lie of the Land also tried to beat up my mother.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FreezingInferno posted:

I've been rewatching the Matt Smith years on and off and one thing really strikes me about the Silence arc: once you know the reveals of Time Of The Doctor, Kovarian's sect officially become the dumbest fuckers alive. Their radical plan to save the universe from being destroyed in the Second Time War results in them not only creating the very crack they want to prevent from being opened, but causing the end of the universe twice while the man they're trying to kill rushes around and fixes the universe-ending fuckup they created.

Also the Silence being confessionals makes zero sense. You forget that you told them your sins?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Also the Silence being confessionals makes zero sense. You forget that you told them your sins?

They look in a mirror during the confession while listening, I guess.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

I mean, if the objective is to have something to hold over the confessor's head (it is) then it's an advantage if they don't know what it is they confessed to/that they confessed at all!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HD Textless Third Doctor titles and end credit sequence in celebration of Season 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeXVrBaLMWs

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

stratofarius posted:

I remember watching Season 6 as it aired. What happened to the Silence was like a micro version of what happened to the Daleks over the years- going from spooky and frightening to 'okay. we get it. please stop.'

It was pretty funny that Moff managed to wreck his shiny new villains in their very first story by having the Doctor own them so hard that they couldn't function as a threat any more.

Also, same with the Weeping Angels. Great first appearance, but then every subsequent one was just piling on extra bullshit in lieu of actually finding something new to do with them. The whole "image of an angel becomes an angel" thing in particular annoys me to an irrational degree. They really should have stayed as a one-off villain.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 11, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I should watch Blink again

One of the few episodes of any series I've ever watched that actually unnerved me

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Pluto finally aired something outside of the loop of the classics (although the Silurians’ evil electric kazoo will never not amuse me) and they hit Logopolis. I’ve always loved this one, if only for all the crazy turns it takes. Baker puts in a fantastic grumpy Doctor performance, Adric is probably at his best as precocious student, and the Logopolis music is amazing. I’ve been humming it all day.

And materializing at the bottom of the Thames will never not be a bizarre story beat, but it finally made sense to me that the water was supposed to flood everything BUT the console room. They just described it very badly.

God bless Doctor Who.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Voting Floater posted:

The whole "image of an angel becomes an angel" thing in particular annoys me to an irrational degree.

This part upsets me more than anything else about the Angels, who otherwise end up being fairly consistent and interesting monsters, because this is him cramming in an entirely different interesting monster idea.

A creature that reproduces through depictions of them is an awesome idea, and one that'd be really interesting to play with in a show that stretches time periods especially. You'd be able to explore how they proliferated differently in certain eras based on how they could best get people to depict them; some animal beast in caveman times so that they put them in cave paintings. Associating themselves to famous figures so that people drawing folkloric heroes also draw them. Come the Renaissance, posing as something divine so that they weasel into Catholicism's art. In the modern day where everyone has smartphones it suddenly becomes easier than ever. And that's without getting into the notion that writing is also a depiction, which is a crazy story idea by itself.

But that story can't work if it's the Angels, because the Angels already have their thing, and this is a totally unrelated extra bit for them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Vinylshadow posted:

I should watch Blink again

One of the few episodes of any series I've ever watched that actually unnerved me

Midnight for me. One of the handful of episodes of any show that ever truly freaked the hell out of me, aside from a couple Tales from the Crypt episodes.

My wife teases me for it. "How can not seeing something be scary?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Gubzter/status/1149639150414336005

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I sort of liked the hybrid stuff as it sort of tied in to the plot of Engines of War and, to a lesser degree, Doom Coalition. In Engines of War, the Daleks are planning to turn the Doctor into a Dalek hybrid to help them win the war, something that is prophecied by the Cloister wraiths who first show up there and later in Heaven Sent. In Doom Coalition, the whole end game of the antagonist is to use a clock to calculate a fixed point in time when Gallifrey as a civilization ends, which also ends up happening in Heaven Sent, whether the hybrid is Me or the Doctor it doesn't really matter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Pfft, we've known since 1996 that the Doctor is half-human. :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sorry, I forgot due to an explosive case of amnesia!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Finally got round to watching American Gods. It's very uneven but DW-wise my main takeaway was

1) Ian McShane would make an amazing Doctor (it's a pity he doesn't like sci-fi)
2) Crispin Glover is giving off some 11 vibes in this

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I can never take Ian McShane totally seriously when hes supposed to be threatening. There is a small part of my mind just going "C'mon dude, you're Lovejoy the roguish antiques dealer".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I can never take Ian McShane totally seriously when hes supposed to be threatening. There is a small part of my mind just going "C'mon dude, you're Lovejoy the roguish antiques dealer".

He'll always be, first and foremost, Al cocksucking Swearengen to me. And that's plenty threatening

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I'm pretty sure he doesn't count because American, but I've always thought Mandy Patinkin would make a good Doctor.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
imagining Ted Danson playing the Doctor the same way he played Michael in season one of The Good Place gives me life.

And then when the plot twist happened there was a glimpse of him as the Master which was also good!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Flight Bisque posted:

imagining Ted Danson playing the Doctor the same way he played Michael in season one of The Good Place gives me life.

And then when the plot twist happened there was a glimpse of him as the Master which was also good!

He's very 11 in the 1st season, and it's not just the bowtie.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I still want Haley Atwell, but I fell so much in love with Jodie's portrayal that I can wait. When it came time to change my name, I almost went with Jodie, but then I remembered that it's best not to name yourself after people who are still alive because... well, imagine naming your kid after Graham Linehen or something only to find out he's a massive git.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Hayley Atwell and Ted Danson sound like amazing Doctors.

I've always wanted them to do a Doctor-less episode where we get a glimpse of other Doctors. Make it like a 'three stories' episode, with three different actors taking on the role.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Make the Agent Carter/Doctor Who crossover you cowards :mad:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The entire female cast of Bletchley Circle for me, kthnx.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Make the Agent Carter/Doctor Who crossover you cowards :mad:

I feel like they should just make an audio series where each Doctor crossovers with some other fictional property.

What I'm trying to say is I wanna see one of the Doctors interact with the Muppets.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor is completely unfazed by the muppets and their craziness.. except for Gonzo, who even she admits is something weird she's never encountered before.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

stratofarius posted:

I feel like they should just make an audio series where each Doctor crossovers with some other fictional property.

What I'm trying to say is I wanna see one of the Doctors interact with the Muppets.

Something something surprising improvement in effects budget...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

stratofarius posted:

there's always this