Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Animated Nerd posted:

Once you've worked somewhere with a strong union, you'll never want to be without one. I can't imagine going back to the conditions that I worked under at my non union gigs. The way that companies have turned them into a boogeyman is one of the most insidious things ever.

But Unions don't actually care about you the employee and just want to line their pockets. That's why (employer) has an Open Door policy so you can go in and discuss your problems directly with the people causing your problems it's a win/win!

And going back a bit I don't discuss my pay rate with most people, not because it's in the handbook as a Don't, but because most people I've worked with get mad at me instead of the management that signed the paperwork. It's not my fault I've been here 3 years and make 20 cents less than someone who has been there 6. But somehow it always becomes my fault.

Edit: also got to hear the bosses theory about minimum wage yesterday. According to him it was created as an entry level wage for teenagers to learn with and that if we lower it vs raising it the economy will bounce back.

My take is that he's wrong and the thing should provide a goddamn living wage and that even if they lower it all these companies are still going to replace employees with robots and computers because they're cheaper to fix, don't ask for time off, don't take breaks, and don't have emotional baggage.

Len has issued a correction as of 11:59 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

But Unions don't actually care about you the employee and just want to line their pockets. That's why (employer) has an Open Door policy so you can go in and discuss your problems directly with the people causing your problems it's a win/win!

And going back a bit I don't discuss my pay rate with most people, not because it's in the handbook as a Don't, but because most people I've worked with get mad at me instead of the management that signed the paperwork. It's not my fault I've been here 3 years and make 20 cents less than someone who has been there 6. But somehow it always becomes my fault.

Edit: also got to hear the bosses theory about minimum wage yesterday. According to him it was created as an entry level wage for teenagers to learn with and that if we lower it vs raising it the economy will bounce back.

My take is that he's wrong and the thing should provide a goddamn living wage and that even if they lower it all these companies are still going to replace employees with robots and computers because they're cheaper to fix, don't ask for time off, don't take breaks, and don't have emotional baggage.

It's a lie. The minimum wage was explicitly created to give a single person working full time the ability to survive.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tashilicious posted:

It's a lie. The minimum wage was explicitly created to give a single person working full time the ability to survive.

That's what I thought but I didn't want to post it in here and then find out i've been under the wrong belief for years.

Same manager also says only 5 people turned in guns during the Australian take back program which is uh...factually untrue

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If there was a guaranteed income / Star Trek post-scarcity situation, there are still some jobs that I would do but no way I would do them 40 hours a week

On the other hand, a lot more people would make art / music / games / food and the world would be way the gently caress cooler

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Just show them pictures of war crimes. I'm talking little kids blown to bits, people being burned alive. Just the sickest war pics there are, then tell them that they will see this every day and you will never get the smell of rotting corpses out of your memory

...and the sergeant came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said "You're our boy". Didn't feel too good about it.

Tashilicious posted:

I've seen it argued both that this is true and that this isn't true regarding the intent of minimum wage and I get the feeling different people pushed it for different reasons and there wasn't really a consensus one way or the other at the time

Howeve in practice it's never really been enough for that. Here it is adjusted for inflation:

When it started it was the equivalent of just four dollars an hour in 2018 dollars

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

bike tory posted:

I'd love my job if it were only the 24hrs/week I'm meant to work but I end up doing 30-35hrs/week and it's killing me.

I'm only personally familiar with Illinois labor law, but assuming you're working in the US, most states would consider someone working 30-35 hours per week to be full time. If you're hired for part-time work and are treated as such (i.e., health benefits and such) while being made to do full-time work, your employer could very well be violating state statute. Especially if they are a "small business", under-reporting their full time equivalents might be an attempt to dodge FMLA and other worker protection requirements.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

How does that make sense even in crazy corporate logic :psyduck:

"Ok so the people you're in charge of managing and making do the best job they can are all doing terrible, buuuut we already allocated money for the raises so I guess you can just have them"

the midwestern gas station kwik trip does this, basically each store gets an allotted raise budget and you're supposed to give people reviews accordingly, so the more good reviews, the lower the raise everyone gets to the point of being hilariously useless, but if you give bad reviews mostly and a couple good reviews you can get people more money, and if you save money I think you get a bonus as the manager.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

cakesmith handyman posted:

Are they in or forming a union?

Seems to be the plan

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

the midwestern gas station kwik trip does this, basically each store gets an allotted raise budget and you're supposed to give people reviews accordingly, so the more good reviews, the lower the raise everyone gets to the point of being hilariously useless, but if you give bad reviews mostly and a couple good reviews you can get people more money, and if you save money I think you get a bonus as the manager.

And just think. My fiancees sister believes her state job sucks because she's guaranteed a flat raise each year and can't bargain her way to a better one.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In a lot of places it's legal to pay workers aged 14-17 less than minwage, so the "it's for kids" argument holds p much zero water

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In the UK you don't get the full minimum wage until you're 25. There's multiple bandings from there down with each lower age bracket getting progressively less money.

There's also an insultingly low "apprentice rate" that's less than half the minimum wage; naturally this is abused to gently caress by clubs and bars etc hiring "apprentice glass collectors".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Len posted:

Even if it was true, why are teenagers worth less then adults anyway? Plenty of teens get jobs to help their family so I don't see why they should be considered worth less then someone else just bc of age

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Even if it was true, why are teenagers worth less then adults anyway? Plenty of teens get jobs to help their family so I don't see why they should be considered worth less then someone else just bc of age

Because you're only a person when you're a fetus and military age. The between times don't matter

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not a Children posted:

In a lot of places it's legal to pay workers aged 14-17 less than minwage, so the "it's for kids" argument holds p much zero water

Yeah there is an explicit set of laws herebto give teenagers an even lower minwage

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Yeah my state was like that and back then when the economy was good enough for teenagers to find jobs with regularity (and not get pushed out of it by hordes of un- and under-employed adults) I remember interviewing for a job that wanted to pay me less than min. wage so I noped out of there and found a job that at least treated me like an adult for the same labor I would have done.

I'm within the upper limits of the millennial age range and it's really kind of weird to think that the high school summer jobs I had back in the day don't really exist for people in my area anymore. A lot of my younger family are struggling to get their first job so they can have experience for whatever job they actually want. I feel like I can't keep blaming the '08 recession ten years later, but it really screwed up a lot of things and not everywhere has recovered from it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's almost like right wing ideology isn't coherent or based on evidence and instead is based on gut feels and saying whatever excuse/argument floats to mind at any given moment and then getting angry when rebuffed.

quote:

I feel like I can't keep blaming the '08 recession ten years later, but it really screwed up a lot of things and not everywhere has recovered from it.

Yeah I mean I can cite you reams of numbers showing that millennials will literally always be hosed because of it and will basically never "do better" than our parents' generation (in aggregate obv).

That notion of "save as early as possible because the compound interest really adds up and starting at 20 vs 30 vs 40 makes huuuuge differences" is true but comes with the corollary of if you can't start saving early then you'll forever be behind the ones who did. Meanwhile Millennials are now in their 20s and 30s with gently caress all assets or savings and yeah the 07/08 global economic meltdown is a major contributor to that.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Jul 12, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

T-man posted:

Honestly I like my job, and if I could do it for 10 hours a week, and maybe spend 10 hours a week picking turnips or fixing cars or whatever else breaks the routine for a while and spend the rest of my time relaxing and having fun I'd probably be in a much better place psychologically and so would basically everyone else on the planet. G'luck parecon people.

honest to God, I could do my job in 10 hours. Three out of four hours i spend at the office are literally wasted but they insist i be here for 40 hours so :shrug:

i just fired off an email asking to work remotely 60% of the time, so that wasted time should go down if approved.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

honest to God, I could do my job in 10 hours. Three out of four hours i spend at the office are literally wasted but they insist i be here for 40 hours so :shrug:

i just fired off an email asking to work remotely 60% of the time, so that wasted time should go down if approved.

If you can work from 10 miles away you can work from 1000 miles away.

And by you, i mean your outsourced replacement.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

awesome ive been looking for that picture

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

That notion of "save as early as possible because the compound interest really adds up and starting at 20 vs 30 vs 40 makes huuuuge differences" is true but comes with the corollary of if you can't start saving early then you'll forever be behind the ones who did. Meanwhile Millennials are now in their 20s and 30s with gently caress all assets or savings and yeah the 07/08 global economic meltdown is a major contributor to that.

what's fun is watching the investment business actually panic a bit and prop up a bunch of FIRE influencers since its kind of hard to get new clients when you have huge cohorts of people with no money to invest

because anything but paying people more, even if its kills our business

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Geshtal posted:

I'm only personally familiar with Illinois labor law, but assuming you're working in the US, most states would consider someone working 30-35 hours per week to be full time. If you're hired for part-time work and are treated as such (i.e., health benefits and such) while being made to do full-time work, your employer could very well be violating state statute. Especially if they are a "small business", under-reporting their full time equivalents might be an attempt to dodge FMLA and other worker protection requirements.

ty for your concern but I'm not forced to work those hours, it's more like that's what I need to put in to consider myself doing a good job. I'm a teacher, so doing it for the kids and all that

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I guess they were really close to the line if saving 5 days of salary made the difference between profit and loss!
IANAAccountant, but my guess is they were using a method of accounting that counts future salary and benefits as a liability. So, getting rid of that liability increases shareholder equity in the immediate-term.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Thanatosian posted:

IANAAccountant, but my guess is they were using a method of accounting that counts future salary and benefits as a liability. So, getting rid of that liability increases shareholder equity in the immediate-term.

I'd imagine it's a projections trick. "We were profitable even with the dead weight we just cut, so that means we'll be even more profitable next quarter!"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

I'd imagine it's a projections trick. "We were profitable even with the dead weight we just cut, so that means we'll be even more profitable next quarter!"

The thing about firing the worst-performing 10% of your employees is that it's much easier to sabotage other people's performance than it is to improve your own.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that Welch clever-layoff-strategy is just never going to die

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Powershift posted:

If you can work from 10 miles away you can work from 1000 miles away.

And by you, i mean your outsourced replacement.

i write for a living. im surprised i have a job with benefits at all at this point. i just asked for a raise lmao

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Those wax figures are melting. Someone turn on the AC.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animated Nerd posted:

Once you've worked somewhere with a strong union, you'll never want to be without one. I can't imagine going back to the conditions that I worked under at my non union gigs. The way that companies have turned them into a boogeyman is one of the most insidious things ever.

Some of the management were complaining recently that the only thing preventing them from firing the guy they don't like is the union.

Yes, assholes, that's the point. Or at least, it's a major part of the point.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Moridin920 posted:

It's almost like right wing ideology isn't coherent or based on evidence and instead is based on gut feels and saying whatever excuse/argument floats to mind at any given moment and then getting angry when rebuffed.

Yeah I mean I can cite you reams of numbers showing that millennials will literally always be hosed because of it and will basically never "do better" than our parents' generation (in aggregate obv).

What I'm discovering in interacting with the comfortable post-work crowd (retirees and those on pensions and so on) is that they basically have their adolescent experiences imprinted on them as their current worldview. They grew up in an era when a single job could conceivably support themselves and a family without a horrifying existential struggle to go with it, and that now the kids just aren't trying hard enough. When I tell them that we're still out there doing the drat thing, but that the thing is no longer enough to live off, I'm told that I just can't think like that, that's a victim's mentality. Apparently one's ability to succeed in the world is -in their minds- entirely separate from any external influence, so if we're failing it's just totally our fault. These drat kids today (:argh:) broke the economy, because they're just lazy with bad priorities (and definitely for sure somehow held the levers of power that determined the world they'd grow up in when they were children!) or similar crap.

It's one thing to read that this is basically how boomers think, it's another to have it said to your face in so many words.

zxqv8 has issued a correction as of 07:42 on Jul 13, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbh it's kind of understandable, I can barely wrap my head around the cost of living increases for just the last 10 years

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Shame Boy posted:

Here it is adjusted for inflation:

When it started it was the equivalent of just four dollars an hour in 2018 dollars

Oooh look at that, it was the best in the late 60s early 70s, what a surprise

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why is there a guy who dropped a bucket of ramen on his head there?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

spankmeister posted:

Why is there a guy who dropped a bucket of ramen on his head there?

He looks like the result of Ron and Harry mucking up the Fusion Dance.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

He looks like the result of Ron and Harry mucking up the Fusion Dance.

gently caress lol he does

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I can't unsee it now

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

zxqv8 posted:

Apparently one's ability to succeed in the world is -in their minds- entirely separate from any external influence, so if we're failing it's just totally our fault.

This is how poo poo like The Secret propagates. It's hard to think of the world as this giant mess of interlocking parts, easier to imagine a cosmic slot machine that dispenses rewards based on adherence to the ideology imprinted on you as a child

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Humans are dumb.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 11:19 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Panhandlers. We don't get many in my suburban town, not due to population or anything, mostly weather. On one hand these people are often scammers with houses or whatever, but on the other hand capitalism fucks people into really poo poo situations so I understand it.

I just don't know if I'm supposed to give them money :(