Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Neat. I did not catch that at all, but it's nice to be validated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

how is DNC at lvl 80? I think about alt DPS jobs and then I go lie down.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So far this expansion is like if Heavensward consisted of nothing but the interesting and good parts.

I hope that they find ways to still have the job quest characters show up at some point, now that they're mostly gone. Since I haven't finished the MSQ I don't know what the level 80 individual quests consist of, but I'll be sad if all my buddies like Sigurdu, Jacke/Oboro, etc never show up again. I also liked all the crafting quest series a lot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

So uh, not even to HW yet but the Domans have shown up, and I gotta ask, is there anything that connects this Doma with FF6 or is it just a straight up reuse of the name?

You're going to find the game is full of references to other FFs. Doma, the Crystal Tower, Ivalice, etc. They often share a lot of themes, names, and characters, but they're never tied to the original game. They're just references that get blended into the FFXIV universe.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You're going to find the game is full of references to other FFs. Doma, the Crystal Tower, Ivalice, etc. They often share a lot of themes, names, and characters, but they're never tied to the original game. They're just references that get blended into the FFXIV universe.

The only exceptions are when literal actual characters from other games show up, like Gilgamesh and the FF XI/XIII/XV events

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DrNutt posted:

So uh, not even to HW yet but the Domans have shown up, and I gotta ask, is there anything that connects this Doma with FF6 or is it just a straight up reuse of the name?

FFXIV is a love letter to all previous Final Fantasies.

Just like every other Final Fantasy, to some extent or another, but since it's an MMO, there's a lot more of it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also it kind of forms a limitless pool of hooks to draw from. I could give a poo poo about fighting a samurai demon thing but if he's named Gilgamesh and spouts catchphrases from FF5 I'm on it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

jokes posted:

Also it kind of forms a limitless pool of hooks to draw from. I could give a poo poo about fighting a samurai demon thing but if he's named Gilgamesh and spouts catchphrases from FF5 I'm on it.
FF12 also used references to older FF games to draw players into an unfamiliar world. The DQ games are the masters of this, but they're just generally real good.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In unrelated news, while shoveling a bucket full of attribute materia that I forgot I had into Mutamix's mittens, I discovered that if you luck out and get a grade improvement that VI's become... VII's. This is probably a downgrade in every way that matters, at least if you're starting with materia that could actually do things. :downs:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Alder posted:

how is DNC at lvl 80? I think about alt DPS jobs and then I go lie down.

Real fun, pretty easy, everyone loves you for it

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

jokes posted:

I thought for sure his dad was gonna be revealed to be a version of Cyan, and Cyan mistakenly thought Hien and Hien's mom were killed by Garleans, spurring him to rebel and Yotsuyu takes his place because of a failed rebellion or something.

I thought I had it allllll figured out.

e: Because in FF6, Cyan was certainly going to die without the intervention of other FF6 characters.

Adding to the other posters, (Stormblood leveling) Shun (Hien's name in childhood) is the Japanese version of Owain, Cyan's son.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah. The skill floor is really high, as long as you're using the appropriate combo and hitting whatever buttons light up and using your standard dance on cooldown and you'll do fine, but there's still enough going on at 80 that it keeps you busy and there's a lot of room for optimization. It also makes the black mage in your party Very Happy to tango.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm sure I'll get used to it more as I practice, but now that I've got the Tech Step+Devilment+Flourish Burst Phase I find myself somewhat overwhelmed trying to squeeze out as much as I can from that burst window. Fance Dancers, Saber Dances, and Procs, oh my!

Still its fun, but I have a hard time telling how effective I'm being since I'm too lazy to figure out parsers.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm halfway through Shadowbringers but I've been really impressed how this doesn't feel like a distraction or digression, this post-apoc isekai adventure expac.

I got invested in the story of this world really quick and so much of the music is just fantastic. Was worried for a hot second that Heavensward would be remembered as "the good expac" but I was instantly and immediately sold on shbingas during the cutscene after you clear the first levelling dungeon.

Holy poo poo does it feel good to be the Warrior of Darkness

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you want to have a fun time, read the comments on this review - https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/12/ffxiv-shadowbringers-review

quote:

I just don't get it. What qualifies as a great 9.5 game anymore? This?
How does this compare to Everquest, WoW, and other GREAT MMO's of the past?

Everything about it is just....weird. Maybe I'm not weebish enough. The only FF game I ever came close to finishing was X and the original NES games.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
shadows: brought, now I can finally read the black boxes and they'll stop taunting me with their information

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never clicked the screenshots so I didn't know what they were, so no.

I was curious. My friend and i both took that shot before we knew about the trend. I wonder how many other people just happen to take them.

The Black Stones posted:

I’m a scrub because I’m on PS4 and taking screenshots at the exact right moment is hard! I could edit a video but that’s way to much work.

Does the LB+start shortcut not work on ps4, like it does on pc?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

itskage posted:

It doesn't do anything, because there's a screenshot/video button on the controller anyway

It did work on PS3 though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So this cutscene with the Exarch after finishing the initial forays into Amh Araeng/Eulmore seems to be implying that the events causing Bahamut to be unleashed were somehow the result of dark aether overflowing in a shard and pouring back into the Source? Only way I can think to interpret this is something about the Ascians having been sent from that shard and then indirectly causing all the Bahamut stuff to happen. Lightwardens seem like the light equivalent to Ascians. Is this further explained later?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So this cutscene with the Exarch after finishing the initial forays into Amh Araeng/Eulmore seems to be implying that the events causing Bahamut to be unleashed were somehow the result of dark aether overflowing in a shard and pouring back into the Source? Only way I can think to interpret this is something about the Ascians having been sent from that shard and then indirectly causing all the Bahamut stuff to happen. Lightwardens seem like the light equivalent to Ascians. Is this further explained later?

Lightwardens are closer to really strong voidsent. Ascians are something else.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ytlaya posted:

The gist of that cutscene is not that aetheric imbalances create catastrophes from whole cloth, but rather that they amplify existing bad stuff to catastrophic levels. The Ascians work on two fronts: sowing strife and discord on the main world to keep bad stuff happening, and loving with the aetheric balance on other worlds to amplify that bad poo poo into calamities.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

So this cutscene with the Exarch after finishing the initial forays into Amh Araeng/Eulmore seems to be implying that the events causing Bahamut to be unleashed were somehow the result of dark aether overflowing in a shard and pouring back into the Source? Only way I can think to interpret this is something about the Ascians having been sent from that shard and then indirectly causing all the Bahamut stuff to happen.

A proper Umbral Calamity requires both an aetherial imbalance from a Shard and a major disaster that's magnified by that imbalance. The Ascians are working at all times to both set up the imbalance on the Shard and to destabilize the Source enough for a Calamity to happen. Bahamut was caused directly by the actions of those involved on the Source, and if van Darnus had just broken him out without that imbalance, it still probably would have been pretty bad... just "Shinryu ripping up the place" bad, not "natural disaster reshaping continents inside ten minutes" bad. Similarly, when they plugged in the Crystal Tower at the end of the Fourth Astral, what probably would have caused a major earthquake turned into a civilization-destroying earthquake because of the imbalance of aether.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
From reddit:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I took some very nice pictures of Kholusia on a clear sunny day.

Post-79 trial:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Nuebot posted:

I literally just realized that the Hrothgar are Ronso. Now I'm disappointed there's no world PVP so I can't kill them all.

Some say, on lonely Amh Araeng nights, you can hear someone chanting "Hornless, hornless" down at the old Mount Biran mines...

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just finished the MSQ last night, so let's jump on the bandwagon!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

itskage posted:

There’s a specific screenshot button. I find that it lags though. I hit the button and the system has to think about it for a second so if I wanna get the picture juuuust right I’m gonna have to watch that cutscene a bunch. Since as far as I can tell there’s no rewind option. I haven’t played around with it though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Post-MSQ musings, I know a lot of it is just so that things don't get too confusing but I wonder if the time difference between the shards and the source is related to a rejoining. So the reason time is currently in sync between the source and the first is because of how close the first was to rejoining the source.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Post-MSQ musings, I know a lot of it is just so that things don't get too confusing but I wonder if the time difference between the shards and the source is related to a rejoining. So the reason time is currently in sync between the source and the first is because of how close the first was to rejoining the source.

That does make a lot of sense, but we'd have to see how things are on some of the other shards to make sure.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What I still don't get about the ShB conflict is why they didn't just use the tower to try and complete Xande's plan to open a portal into the Void and see if that cancels out the excess light on the First, or why not try to sit the WoL down to read a copy of Necrologos before things got out of hand with the lightwarden absorbing.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
In important news, I think I have my 5.x glamour set figured out.

Yes, it's just the SCH AF4 set plus comfy socks and a nicer skirt. And the Omega Codex so I can trick people into thinking I'm actually good at this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

What I still don't get about the ShB conflict is why they didn't just use the tower to try and complete Xande's plan to open a portal into the Void and see if that cancels out the excess light on the First, or why not try to sit the WoL down to read a copy of Necrologos before things got out of hand with the lightwarden absorbing.

I am not really sure that adding a massive invasion of voidsent to a massive invasion of sin eaters is going to be in anyone's best interest.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

you really think provoking a war between voidsent and sin eaters won't have a massive, calamitous effect on the peoples of the first as both sides try to swell their numbers?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cabbit posted:

The gist of that cutscene is not that aetheric imbalances create catastrophes from whole cloth, but rather that they amplify existing bad stuff to catastrophic levels. The Ascians work on two fronts: sowing strife and discord on the main world to keep bad stuff happening, and loving with the aetheric balance on other worlds to amplify that bad poo poo into calamities.
This expansion confirmed the missing part of the equation, that it's Ascians all the way down. The prior (in-universe, at least) assumption was that Rejoinings were just a thing that happened to the Source if things got way the heck out of wack and some reflection had to pay the price for it, but that was almost backwards - it's when one of the Shards gets tipped way out of alignment that the Source is susceptible to a Calamity. The Thirteenth was an experiment gone wrong in haste (there was no great imbalance on the Source at the time, so all that Void energy collapsed in on itself and became a new paradigm for the shard.) And this meant the Ascians were nearly unstoppable in the long run, too - functional dimensional travel for non-Ascians was only discovered at great cost, and even then it took a very long time to become available. Emet-Selch, even with all his millennia spent trying to form a connection with the new mortality living on the worlds, still gravely underestimated their ingenuity.

I am sort of amused at the implication that the same fate that befell the Thirteenth could have happened to any of the subsequent ones. Imagine if the War of the Magi had involved Windsent and Lightningsent and Firesent and Earthsent and Icesent. :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just finished it. I like it much more than Shinryu

I think it's the best final trial of the 3 (or 4 if you want to count Ultima).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

On your topic,

First off, it would've probably killed everyone on the First; the Exarch might have done that if you'd actually died or whatever I guess, but at that point it's all theorycrafting alternate universes. Generally speaking FFXIV does not endorse the American-beloved trope of mandatory genocide. The entire plan ultimately was to get that Light away from the First, you wouldn't have solved our personal problem by cramming more darkness into us. They're not matter and anti-matter, the entire ascian murder thing "expends" the energy to gently caress up a fool rather than it just being a question of dropping a super Kamehameha on them.

My impression was that the First was hanging on largely thanks to the efforts of the Crystarium and, before Vauthry, Eulmore, which were maintaining the status quo Minfilia created by power-diving in and arresting the Flood. Fighting the sin eaters was at least stalling the decline even if it was a holding action due to the lightwardens. The Vauthry scheme was to get enough people living indolent and static lives in Eulmore, or focusing on entering those indolent and static lives, that the places they abandoned could gradually melt into the Light; eventually this would reach critical mass and the First would fully collapse.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Early on I thought that the ending of the game would involve dumping all of the First's excess Light into the Void and just seeing what happens

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hogama posted:

Emet-Selch, even with all his millennia spent trying to form a connection with the new mortality living on the worlds, still gravely underestimated their ingenuity.

Except of course He influenced every single part of the process that did it. The Allagan Empire, the summoning of Primals, the magitech of *his* empire, all of that is the work of the Ascians. Not people alone. They were able to use those disparate parts and a couple of centuries of work and really lock down time travel, but they didn't do it without Ascian 'help'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

On your topic,

First off, it would've probably killed everyone on the First; the Exarch might have done that if you'd actually died or whatever I guess, but at that point it's all theorycrafting alternate universes. Generally speaking FFXIV does not endorse the American-beloved trope of mandatory genocide. The entire plan ultimately was to get that Light away from the First, you wouldn't have solved our personal problem by cramming more darkness into us. They're not matter and anti-matter, the entire ascian murder thing "expends" the energy to gently caress up a fool rather than it just being a question of dropping a super Kamehameha on them.

My impression was that the First was hanging on largely thanks to the efforts of the Crystarium and, before Vauthry, Eulmore, which were maintaining the status quo Minfilia created by power-diving in and arresting the Flood. Fighting the sin eaters was at least stalling the decline even if it was a holding action due to the lightwardens. The Vauthry scheme was to get enough people living indolent and static lives in Eulmore, or focusing on entering those indolent and static lives, that the places they abandoned could gradually melt into the Light; eventually this would reach critical mass and the First would fully collapse.

My impression was that the plan for Eulmore was that between making everyone hopeless and dependent on Eulmore, and Vauthry's influence, the meol scheme would eventually hit critical mass and Eulmore if not all of Kholusia would be drowned in the Light as everyone morphed into sin eaters. Once Kholusia's gone, I think the rest of Norvrandt would fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetchingToaster
Jan 2, 2015

I'm late for the MSQ picture :bandwagon: but here I go: