Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This is my first attempt at making a vertical level.

Pipe Jumping. For an extra challenge I added some red coins.
WT5-8PQ-X5G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish I could rename courses because on day 1 I made "Head in the clouds" and I've seen it like 3-4 times in endless, and I think some goons even used it :v:

It's a common phrase so not surprised but I keep perking up with "wait did I get my own level???"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Swing n' Smash Tower

It's a pretty standard course like my one box one. It centers around the grabbers and the spikey smasher things

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

They're not wrong.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Here's a tougher course for y'all, not kaizo or anything but aiming for late stage mario.

Icicle Islands

WWQ-28T-2JG

Here are my three government mandated reviews.

Arid Ascent by Straight White Shark
I liked the concept of using the floating bullet bill launchers to help you ascend, but I got stuck when there were multiple launchers in a row. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to try to chain them or land on top of the launchers but I couldn't finish it regardless.

Fun in the Heat by Cheesetriangles #27
This is a nice early world mario 3 style level. Not really much to say except that I enjoyed it.

Luigi's Circuit 0.5 by Kirios #231
Mario Kart level, i feel like if you've seen one you've seen em all but i did like the p switch bit.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Any suggestions on a good stylus now that my cheap rear end one broke?

(Besides stop uploading so many freaking levels, Lobster?)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Lobster posted:

Any suggestions on a good stylus now that my cheap rear end one broke?

(Besides stop uploading so many freaking levels, Lobster?)

I've been using this one. Should be pretty durable.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

J-Spot posted:

I've been using this one. Should be pretty durable.

Thanks, looks good!

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Let's get cookin'

Kinda kicking myself not remembering that the poison mushroom was not compatible with my setting selection. But I think I found a suitable replacement for one of the "bad ends".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In a twist from the usual garbage and nonsense I find in New Courses, I'm going to post a couple I actually liked!

I was already tempted to like it based on the description, but it's just a simple-yet-challenging castle stage themed around grinders. Tough yet fair.

And this one feels like a regular old SMB1 level to me, themed around Piranha Plants (the fire-breathing ones in particular). While the enemies and theme are SMB3, the layout of it all screams SMB1 to me.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Made a level based more around an aesthetic over a mechanic and I think the result is a nice little course from easy to normal difficulty. There's also a speedrun route for those interested.

The Down and Out

Plebian Parasite fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 13, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Plebian Parasite posted:

Made a level based more around an aesthetic over a mechanic and I think the result is a nice little course from easy to normal difficulty. There's also a speedrun route for those interested.

The Down and Out

Too many Goombrats and too easy to miss the power-up at the start. Feels bad, man. :smith:

Edit: vvv I wish we could give a difficulty rating.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 13, 2019

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

It would be cool if people could like or boo levels on random acts of mario (or just leave comments even)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I don't know if I like the idea of liking and booing levels but it would be great if target difficulty were an option on the spreadsheet. If you know you're not the audience for a super expert level you could just stay away.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

J-Spot posted:

I don't know if I like the idea of liking and booing levels but it would be great if target difficulty were an option on the spreadsheet. If you know you're not the audience for a super expert level you could just stay away.

Maybe just liking levels or choosing not to; and leaving comments would be nice. I don't know if "target" difficulty is what we want because creators aren't always the best judges of a level's difficulty. Maybe it starts in a difficulty chosen by the creator but then goons can rank it from there?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

J-Spot posted:

I only boo levels that are full of low-effort troll poo poo. Stuff like pick-a-pipes that softlock you if you choose wrong, etc.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Too many Goombrats and too easy to miss the power-up at the start. Feels bad, man. :smith:

Edit: vvv I wish we could give a difficulty rating.

try it again

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Also played this. At first, I didn't get that I was supposed to follow the banzai bill down the hole and it despawned on me, but I only made that mistake once and it's right at the beginning so that's totally fine. Love the concept, although I'm not sure I feel like the builder outfit did a lot for me. I broke into the locked treasure chamber and got duly rewarded, very nice.

Thanks! Builder Mario was originally required to get all the red coins but I decided to make it possible to just get them as Super Mario to be less punishing. Builder Mario is quite useful beyond just demolition though; the hammer can actually kill ghosts and dry bones, so it can be useful in a pinch for clearing out an area.

Pakled posted:

I only boo levels that are full of low-effort troll poo poo. Stuff like pick-a-pipes that softlock you if you choose wrong, etc.

My philosophy on Like is pretty simple. Did I have fun on your level? You get a like.

Boo is more complicated. My gut reaction to hating a stage is to Boo it, but I don't like doing that when I feel like effort was put in. I usually only Boo if I see design elements that are lazy or blatantly unfair. This is usually more of a problem in Endless mode than when I play Goon courses though. Most goons put in clear effort on their maps.

Rock My Socks! posted:

It would be cool if people could like or boo levels on random acts of mario (or just leave comments even)

Feel like that would encourage people fishing for maps that are already highly rated. With Random Acts everything is equal until you put the code in, which I think is ideal for the sites states purpose.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Putting difficulty in the hashtag field is a good use.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It just struck me that even that guy that has played over ten thousand courses has only played roughly half a percent of what was available several days ago.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I was on vacation, but I still managed to work on a jam level.

In the belly of the desert beast rests great riches. Mario goes treasure hunting inside the:

Cave of Wonders
MTK-1K5-R2G

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 13, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw a few Japanese players giving their levels a out-of-four stars ranking on difficulty. Not sure how to put star icons like that but it's a good idea.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a few Japanese players giving their levels a out-of-four stars ranking on difficulty. Not sure how to put star icons like that but it's a good idea.

On the input text screen, click the globe icon on the bottom left and then scroll all the way down and select Symbol.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I still had a lot of trouble after the first checkpoint. Lobster Bad At Mario strikes again.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What are some ways to put permanent/semi permanent lighting in a nighttime ghost house? I'm working on a concept level and I want it for atmosphere but don't want it to be miserable to play.

As an aside I wish you could manually choose music for levels!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

What are some ways to put permanent/semi permanent lighting in a nighttime ghost house? I'm working on a concept level and I want it for atmosphere but don't want it to be miserable to play.

As an aside I wish you could manually choose music for levels!

POW blocks are good for lighting small areas permanently. Lava bubbles, fire bars and burners will all provide temporary lighting, as will fireworks and sparklers from the effects menu. The shock effect will light the whole screen temporarily and a super star will light everything as long as you have the star.

e: Oh and the fire flower is good for lighting a small area ahead of you temporarily.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Does any one know a good way around this. I made a hard level and uploaded it. But I also want to upload an easier version without the autoscroll and enemies, so I took the hard version in the course maker, hit save as, saved it in a new slot, made my changes, changed the name, passed the clear checks, but when I go to upload it says the course has already been uploaded :( Is there a good way around this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone taking advantage of the conditional fire flower/leaf/cape/etc, where it's a mushroom unless you're already big? I feel like every level I've played just flat out gives you the end power up even if you're small, and there might be a bit more strategy in keeping that for the better players.

In case anyone's unsure how to get it, you longpress on a fire flower or whatever non-mushroom power up you have in the play area, and select the mushroom with the arrow.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dbhjed posted:

Does any one know a good way around this. I made a hard level and uploaded it. But I also want to upload an easier version without the autoscroll and enemies, so I took the hard version in the course maker, hit save as, saved it in a new slot, made my changes, changed the name, passed the clear checks, but when I go to upload it says the course has already been uploaded :( Is there a good way around this?

If you take down the uploaded course, you can then upload both versions

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Sam Faust posted:

If you take down the uploaded course, you can then upload both versions

Aw man I was afraid of that. Thanks.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Dbhjed posted:

You have to save a backup copy before you do the initial upload. Once it has been uploaded the level is forever stained.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Dry Dry Dunes Dig
9J7-36W-81G

Difficulty: Normal

Took a crack at making a puzzle room/red coin stage and trying out different design elements. Has some generous checkpoints, the puzzles have been tested rigorously and should always function (to the extent the MM engine reliably functions) and in any Mario state. Resetting the room via the pipe is a good idea if you feel stuck.

Puzzle Spoilers:

Twisters: Really like the idea of using a Twister to bypass an obstacle by otherwise not trying to move/ascend in them! Just staying centered seems to be the only reliable thing about them! Just stay centered without using B at all.

Thwomps: Idea is to block the Thwomps with each other. Would be a good level concept as the primary limitation here was space but I liked how the first one almost never fails to give you an idea of what's up and the second one is pretty safe to experiment on timing with, although Big Mario seems to have easier triggers on Thwomps than Small Mario. Can also be Damage Boosted or Shellmet'd but an OK proof of concept.

Claws: Wanted to take a crack at making one of these after the Story Mode stage. Came out about as finicky as the real deal. Another concept that'd benefit from more space.

P-Switch: A classic punishment for the greedy. Fit better thematically when original stage draft was for gathering coins in general but drat goal stages don't allow checkpoints.

Snake Blocks: Really happy with this one. Good fun to set up the routes, the outcomes and the environmental hints. Even accessing the right block without touching the others is a small matter of patience and observation. Hardest part is decorating around the paths which block almost everything but semi-solids and one-ways.

Shells: I like how it came out and it roughly boils down to "kick each shell the right direction in the right order and you'll solve it" but it's also generous enough to just let you reload and kick until you get it down. Outcomes are like 90% reliable but CAN be altered by how fast Mario is going when he bumps into the Shell.

Ended up feeling a little more rough draft than I'd like but better to add stages with honest intent and gain experience. It's really hard to make a big involved coin hunt without checkpoints. Also dang I wish the desert tileset had a few not-orange things to decorate with. Pipes and Vines end up your only real options for a little visual shake-up.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 13, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone taking advantage of the conditional fire flower/leaf/cape/etc, where it's a mushroom unless you're already big? I feel like every level I've played just flat out gives you the end power up even if you're small, and there might be a bit more strategy in keeping that for the better players.

In case anyone's unsure how to get it, you longpress on a fire flower or whatever non-mushroom power up you have in the play area, and select the mushroom with the arrow.

It's a good idea to do this unless you want a player to have a specific power-up and nothing else at a specific point, and in that case, find an alternate way of presenting the power-up. It just looks wrong to have a mushroom come out of a ? box when you're already big.

Does having a fire flower/leaf/whatever make the level easier but not completely break it? Use a conditional power-up, because that's how a real Mario game would do it.

Do you need a player to be big at a certain point, but don't want to be too generous? Have a mushroom out in the open, because it's not contrary to standard Mario power-up logic. If getting hit can make the level unwinnable, have the mushroom coming out of a pipe so it infinitely respawns, or if this is a more cruel sort of level, provide a convenient pit for the player to off themselves.

In my latest level, which I designed as a beginner stage, only the second power-up is always a fire flower, because I want the player to be able to try out the fire flower here regardless of how they've done in the level up to this point—it's immediately followed by three koopa troopas and a buzzy beetle to show what you can and can't kill with fire. All the other powerups are conditional.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

The approach I take to level making is make something abstractly without much thinking and build around it. These homing Bullet Bills seemed like a good fit in addition to the objective of collecting all the coins to reach the exit. It’s moderately tough, and you’ll learn over a few plays better routes to take.

By the way, does anyone know of a better way to upload screenshots? Right now, I upload to Facebook as a private post from Album on mu Switch, go to Facebook on my phone, save the picture, edit it, upload to imgur and post it here.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

NofrikinfuN posted:

POW blocks are good for lighting small areas permanently. Lava bubbles, fire bars and burners will all provide temporary lighting, as will fireworks and sparklers from the effects menu. The shock effect will light the whole screen temporarily and a super star will light everything as long as you have the star.

e: Oh and the fire flower is good for lighting a small area ahead of you temporarily.

Thanks! Playing around a bit I think I'm gonna ditch the night ghost house because it causes more pain than gain.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hint for night levels: Wigglers. Be amazed at your flashlight buddies.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Found a really good racing level: 9QQ-WYN-8MG. Not mine!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rock My Socks! posted:

You can already like them, there's a heart and all but I guess it could be clearer that it's actionable. :negative:

I have been thinking about comments/reviews (since they get lost in the thread) but I'm worried it could attract abuse/spam since it's all unauthenticated, and I doubt anyone wants to register a new account anywhere in the year of the lord 2019.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 13, 2019

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...

Good Sphere posted:

By the way, does anyone know of a better way to upload screenshots? Right now, I upload to Facebook as a private post from Album on mu Switch, go to Facebook on my phone, save the picture, edit it, upload to imgur and post it here.

Outside of saving screenshots to an SD card and using some sort of card reader, I think one of these Facebook/Twitter workarounds is the only way to go, unfortunately.

Sometimes, the best thing about the Switch is the dead-simple interface and UI. Sometimes, the worst thing about the Switch is the dead-simple interface and UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Man, the hitboxes on the creeper plants really need some work.