Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just want to highlight ACrAB, who is my favorite side character in Vigilantes. Just look at that scuttle!

I can't remember her real name, but she's a crab and a cop, so she's ACrAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Kanos posted:

Alternatively, this arc has been heavily centered around the idea that quirks can evolve and change dramatically in scope in emotional and/or physical extremis. Maybe Shigaraki's quirk had already manifested - as indicated by his mysterious allergy - but was something completely innocuous(like Bakugo's mom's skin oil quirk) or difficult to notice, so they assumed he was quirkless or hadn't manifested yet. Then the shock trauma of getting beaten by his father and hitting a breaking point forced an evolution and things spiralled from there.

(It's probably AfO related, though, given that AfO was in position to scoop him up and weaponize him almost immediately after the disaster.)

Is this alternative not actually the primary reading of this? He has a quirk that involves his skin, after all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Prowler posted:

Is this alternative not actually the primary reading of this? He has a quirk that involves his skin, after all.

I'm pretty sure most people assume that AfO had something to do with the whole mess, given AfO's ability to steal and grant quirks as well as to forcibly activate quirks and the extremely suspicious rapidity with which AfO scooped up Shigaraki to be his new daddy after he happened to murder his entire family by accident.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Remind me, is Nana dead by this point in Shigaraki's flashback?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Most likely. All Might should be a few years from returning from America?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Almost certainly. All Might was still a teenager when she died, and he's in his late 40s or even his 50s right now.

Meanwhile, Shigaraki's 20, maybe 21.

If Horikoshi isn't doing anything odd here, she died before Shigaraki was even born.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

When Shimura is talking about playing hero with other kids, he mentions getting to be All Might, so presumably All Might is back in Japan and Nana is long dead.

^also that

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think what important to bear in mind when it comes to how MHA treats the students of UA is that the series borrows heavily from the sports genre. UA is essentially a school based around training the next generation of top athletes. When you look at it from that perspective of course the schools main focus is on strength, ability and effectiveness. You wouldn't expect a sport academy to not push their students towards being The Best and so you shouldn't expect anything different from UA. Especially when you take into account that a Hero needs to be effective (in action and in using their often quite dangerous powers) and be able to handle a crisis. If they can't, its not just a poor reflection on themselves but it can also put people in danger. So its actually more extreme than if it was just training for a sport, with much higher stakes. Mediocrity should not be tolerated.

I think that peoples perceptions get mixed up because there's also the added element of the ethics of the superhero genre thrown in. So any kind of self-centered motivation is judged harshly in that context. But I think the series has made it clear that in order to be a top hero you HAVE to have that competitive drive to be the best. In order to be an Olympic athlete you need an obsessive drive to get there and in order to be a top hero you also need an obsession with self-improvement. That's why Deku, Bakugo and Todoroki are so much more effective than the rest. It's not just their quirks being strong, its their motivations to keep getting better. All Might flat out says that you need that aspect to get to the top. So that's why the series doesn't portray those aspects as bad, because they just aren't.

Also no moment with the villains thus far has made me Actually Emotional like most of Deku's fights have managed so he's still a better main character than Shigaraki in my eyes. It's just that he's currently overcome a lot of his obstacles so there's not as much tension for him atm.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Robocop style highway fight where they stole those anti quirk things, killed a hero, and crippled Overhaul made me feel some emotions, excitement being the main one.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

I mentioned that no one criticized Eraserhead for threatening to kick people out for not having mastered their quirk, because literally everyone in the school agrees only students who are already strong belong there.

You don't get to go to the best school in the country when you only read on a kindergarten level.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Also no moment with the villains thus far has made me Actually Emotional like most of Deku's fights have managed so he's still a better main character than Shigaraki in my eyes. It's just that he's currently overcome a lot of his obstacles so there's not as much tension for him atm.

I think the Overhaul arc really damaged how I feel about Deku and that perception hasn't really recovered since. This arc has absolutely been the most i've cared about the "main characters" for a long time.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think the Overhaul arc really damaged how I feel about Deku and that perception hasn't really recovered since. This arc has absolutely been the most i've cared about the "main characters" for a long time.

I'm one of the few people around here who actually liked the Overhaul arc(most of my problems I have with it were a result of Horikoshi dying and being unable to finish chapters), so I'm not sure how it would have hurt Deku. I think the problem is that he hasn't been involved in any real high stakes situations for a long time. I loved the Gentle arc, it was a good breather after how dark the Overhaul stuff got, but since then all we've gotten from Deku is Aoyama's little side story(which hasn't resulted in anything for the poor guy) and the 1A vs 1B arc(which was 90% meaningless fights with the only important bits being the stuff with Shinso and learning a bit more about One For All).

He needs another big emotional arc just like we're getting here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem with the constant pursuit of strength and being better than your peers is that it's boring in addition to being kind of iffy in terms of what it suggests about this world's politics. Despite countless attempts to convince us otherwise, people like Superman because of his purity of spirit, and removing it just makes him more generic. For a series nominally about superheroes there's shockingly little thought about what actually makes a good one, focusing instead on endless pursuit of strength not as means to help more people, but to become the bestest and strongest. Bakugo as a character is just this, and the series not only clearly agrees with his viewpoint, it constantly forces the story to adjust to him. How many arcs so far have revolved around the class having to one-up other aspiring heroes, including each other? It's goddamn repetitive even if it was good, which I don't think it is.

But that's just me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I'm one of the few people around here who actually liked the Overhaul arc(most of my problems I have with it were a result of Horikoshi dying and being unable to finish chapters), so I'm not sure how it would have hurt Deku. I think the problem is that he hasn't been involved in any real high stakes situations for a long time. I loved the Gentle arc, it was a good breather after how dark the Overhaul stuff got, but since then all we've gotten from Deku is Aoyama's little side story(which hasn't resulted in anything for the poor guy) and the 1A vs 1B arc(which was 90% meaningless fights with the only important bits being the stuff with Shinso and learning a bit more about One For All).

He needs another big emotional arc just like we're getting here.

I am writing way too many words about this but I legitimately really hate his fight with Overhaul and I think it just made me dislike one of the central hooks of Deku's development and I don't think that hook is ever going to go away.

Like for ages we'd been told Deku really needs to stop breaking his bones. He'd been making some progress but never to any great extent, he learnt how to go full cowl only to immediately break all his bones again in his next one on one fight with a villain. Then he learned how to kick instead of punch, only to immediately break all his bones again in his next major one on one fight with a villain. This by itself is just super annoying and it makes me unable to believe Deku will ever really overcome this, and in the Overhaul fight the context behind him breaking all his bones feels super drat inconsistent with the entire narrative they're telling about Deku's self injuries.

In the Overhaul fight Deku needs to break all his bones faster and harder than he has ever broken his bones before because if he is not destroying himself at an extremely rapid rate a child will unconsciously erase him into nothingness. I know the story is trying to sell it as Deku being willing to kill himself to protect this kid but to me it comes off more like "Man, good thing Deku is so good at breaking his bones otherwise he would have no chance of defeating this incredibly boring villain.". And even though this is the hardest he has ever broken his bones he gets off far healthier than usual so he doesn't even need to deal with Recovery Girl's no healing ultimatum.

If this was any other shonen I wouldn't care too much because of how they usually portray their heroes injuries, but with Deku it's pretty much made me kinda dislike him. Now he's going to get a set of dangerous new quirks he also doesn't know how to control and I have little confidence they'll be handled in a good way considering how mishandled his development about simply learning how to punch without killing himself has been.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
My main problem with the Overhaul fight is that LeMillion should have won before Deku even got there, but since Deku's the main character that's not what happened.

Mirio's part in that last fight was extremely compelling as a thesis on what makes a good hero, and all Deku's part in that fight did was cheapen it. Overhaul going "WELL ACTUALLY, THIS WASN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM" as soon as Deku shows up just makes it seem like Mirio wasted his time and should also be dead.

The whole arc feels like it should be about Mirio and his friends, but 1-A is also around for some reason. I'd have enjoyed it more if it were a side-story about the "big 3" to show us what actual hero work is like, sort of like this current arc is a side story about the VA.

e: I mean really think about it, if 1-A weren't there you could have cut the length in drat near half and not have lost out on anything. Hori could still redeem things a bit and do something with the tragedy of a great hero losing their quirk, but as of right now I don't trust that Mirio isn't just sitting in storage until we can have him show up at *just* the right time, quirk restored.

On the whole I didn't hate the arc, but it felt like the same kind of tire-spinning that you find in every Shounen filler movie/arc.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 13, 2019

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The Meta Liberation Army arc feels...a bit random. Can't see it as anything more than a way to give the villains quick power-ups without biting into the main cast yet.

Also, Shigaraki somehow fighting animeHulk for days on end is sub-Dragon Ball stuff. He's just a guy who disintegrates things by touch; how is he not more shattered than Deku ever got from being punched and trampled by a murderous powerhouse? For -weeks-, with only 3 hour pauses? I know it's shounen, but still.

Or maybe I'm just cranky because I liked crazy, dissociative Twice.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Arist posted:

The problem with the constant pursuit of strength and being better than your peers is that it's boring in addition to being kind of iffy in terms of what it suggests about this world's politics. Despite countless attempts to convince us otherwise, people like Superman because of his purity of spirit, and removing it just makes him more generic. For a series nominally about superheroes there's shockingly little thought about what actually makes a good one, focusing instead on endless pursuit of strength not as means to help more people, but to become the bestest and strongest. Bakugo as a character is just this, and the series not only clearly agrees with his viewpoint, it constantly forces the story to adjust to him. How many arcs so far have revolved around the class having to one-up other aspiring heroes, including each other? It's goddamn repetitive even if it was good, which I don't think it is.

But that's just me.
I agree with this 100%, this is a Shonen thing that just doesn't port over well to superheroes IMO. This especially makes Deku and Bakugo's idolizing of All Might seem kind of ridiculous, because it feels like they totally missed the point.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Sephyr posted:

He's already forgotten which Twice is the real one, even though all the copies are wearing the same mask and the real one isn't. Crazy Twice hasn't gone anywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sephyr posted:

The Meta Liberation Army arc feels...a bit random. Can't see it as anything more than a way to give the villains quick power-ups without biting into the main cast yet.

Also, Shigaraki somehow fighting animeHulk for days on end is sub-Dragon Ball stuff. He's just a guy who disintegrates things by touch; how is he not more shattered than Deku ever got from being punched and trampled by a murderous powerhouse? For -weeks-, with only 3 hour pauses? I know it's shounen, but still.

shigaraki being borderline-indestructible has been established from his first appearance, to be fair

snipe shot him like ten times and his reaction amounted to "well this is annoying"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

But that's just me.

Yeah but people also hate Superman because of how easy it is for him. I don't, but some are turned off by that. He didn't have to struggle to get his powers, he just gets them from the sun and his stories mostly start after he's already at his peak in terms of capabilities. MHA is a story about young people training to become strong heroes. It makes sense that it focuses on the aspect of trying to get to the top rather than what to do when you're there (although that is also looked into). I maintain that this is easier to see if you view the series partially as a sports manga. It's just that instead of smug rivals you have like, y'know, murderers. The point though is that the competitive angle is big part of the series and well, I personally like it.

Also All Might does elaborate on what makes a great hero here:

https://www.mangareader.net/boku-no-hero-academia/120/16

You need to both want to help people and strive for constant victory and improvement because you can't save anyone if you lose and the reason you're fighting in the first place is to save people. Bakugo is praised somewhat because his obsession with being the best hero actually is praise-worthy and is going to make him a great hero who saves a lot of people. But he is criticised strongly for how much of an rear end in a top hat it makes him. This is also highlighted with Endeavor who has done a lot of good hero work but his obsession also made him a goddamn monster and is going to blow up in his face when the Dabi reveal happens.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kind of weird how we've kind of skipped right to the final confrontation between Shigaraki and Re-Destro while Dabi, Compress, and Spinner are all still fighting in the background. Guess they're not going to get their own big moments like Toga and Twice.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

All for One raised Shigaraki as his ace in the hole against All Might so I would assume that he made sure he was at the peak of physical conditioning even if he looks and acts like a loser neet.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hes got that comicbook supervillain resilience going for him.

I have to admit after a very strong start the manga lost me with overhaul arc. Like other posters said Horikoshi stumbled on a good premise but seems wholly uninterested im exploring it and the implications that follow, and for how much he idolizes and takes cues from western comics it really makes me think of that one meme.

--------->Bigotry and oppression are bad
X-Men< ---- 👀"wow cool mutants!"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Radish posted:

All for One raised Shigaraki as his ace in the hole against All Might so I would assume that he made sure he was at the peak of physical conditioning even if he looks and acts like a loser neet.

We've had students and heroes whose actual power is to be mega-armored and resilient (like Red Riot) being broken by generic strong-guy thugs in a few hits.

I don't care how many sit-ups AfO made his pupil do each day, being wailed on by a titan for a full work week should cause more than light bruising.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I understand I'm probably in the minority here but where this comic is losing me a bit is the severe disparity in graphic violence now than from the start. Like the first few years where I got really hooked had no indication I was going to be seeing a lovable pet dog trying to console its owner after he was abused by his father only to be horribly disintegrated and then that crying child butchering his family by accident and experience extreme horror and trauma next week. That was always implied (the shattered Shigaraki memory was early) but it's really the visuals that is off putting to me. Maybe they won't show it but the implication with this arc is that they are (with all the random mooks getting killed) or if the actual act isn't shown we will see the immediate results.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hes got that comicbook supervillain resilience going for him.

I have to admit after a very strong start the manga lost me with overhaul arc. Like other posters said Horikoshi stumbled on a good premise but seems wholly uninterested im exploring it and the implications that follow, and for how much he idolizes and takes cues from western comics it really makes me think of that one meme.

--------->Bigotry and oppression are bad
X-Men< ---- 👀"wow cool mutants!"

Yeah I'm feeling this as well. You still kind of see sparks of it but then there's the training class A vs B arc where they spend a volume almost killing each other for no reason other than to prove which class is best, even when they are in real danger.

Sephyr posted:

We've had students and heroes whose actual power is to be mega-armored and resilient (like Red Riot) being broken by generic strong-guy thugs in a few hits.

I don't care how many sit-ups AfO made his pupil do each day, being wailed on by a titan for a full work week should cause more than light bruising.

Bakugau who has so real resilience power (other than withstanding his own explosions) was thrown through walls by All Might. People in the comic are just naturally more tough than in reality because it makes for cooler fights which I can understand.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 13, 2019

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I suspect we’ll see the House That Dad Built disintegrated but not mom and pup.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
We're probably not going to see the graphic disintegration. Like, unless it decides to step things up from even the Overhaul arc, discretion shots and cracking and whatnot are probably the worst we'll see.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Roland Jones posted:

We're probably not going to see the graphic disintegration. Like, unless it decides to step things up from even the Overhaul arc, discretion shots and cracking and whatnot are probably the worst we'll see.

Remember that time in this very arc where it showed Shigaraki disintegrating his way through some guy's face?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Radish posted:

I understand I'm probably in the minority here but where this comic is losing me a bit is the severe disparity in graphic violence now than from the start. Like the first few years where I got really hooked had no indication I was going to be seeing a lovable pet dog trying to console its owner after he was abused by his father only to be horribly disintegrated and then that crying child butchering his family by accident and experience extreme horror and trauma next week. That was always implied (the shattered Shigaraki memory was early) but it's really the visuals that is off putting to me. Maybe they won't show it but the implication with this arc is that they are (with all the random mooks getting killed) or if the actual act isn't shown we will see the immediate results.

Yeah I'm feeling this as well. You still kind of see sparks of it but then there's the training class A vs B arc where they spend a volume almost killing each other for no reason other than to prove which class is best, even when they are in real danger.

Bakugau who has so real resilience power (other than withstanding his own explosions) was thrown through walls by All Might. People in the comic are just naturally more tough than in reality because it makes for cooler fights which I can understand.

I feel like the Class A vs B Arc was less about who is the best narratively, and more just a way to expand on the characters Horikoshi has but hasn't done much with. Whilst there is an underlying narrative of working to be the very best Hero, which given the characters is fine because that's what they want, the story isn't close to over and there's been plenty of signs that the broken nature of hero society is going to be looked at, it already is looked at in passing every time it comes up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Remember that time in this very arc where it showed Shigaraki disintegrating his way through some guy's face?

Yeah, and the guy broke like pottery if I recall correctly; we didn't get very visceral with it, unless my memory is bad and I just glossed over it somehow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only things the bugged me about the Overhaul arc in the end:

1. Nighteye never once really acknowledged Midoriya outside of saying he managed to break his prediction.

2. Midoriya almost offering OFA to Mirio. That loving pissed me off, and I really think it's kind of out of character for Midioriya. He has self-confidence issues and is a super nice person but OFA being given to him is a really, really significant thing in terms of his relationship and connection to All Might. Like the move comes out basically right after this and in the movie All Might says that the bond of OFA is stronger than blood- and Midoriya almost gives it to this fuckin dude who proved he wasn't the real deal the microsecond he didn't let Midoriya escape with Eri in that alleyway. Mirio takes a bunch of lumps and loses his quirk but that never had to happen by the story's own admission. Mirio can take all the beatings and flagellate himself all day and pout about his quirk being gone but if he was REALLY like All Might in any way other than being a big cheerful outgoing dork (and that's only matching All Might's constructed persona meant to make people feel safe) then the arc never would've happened. When Mirio and Midoriya had that confrontation in the alley I thought it was a brilliant bit of writing at the time because it showed the stark difference that MATTERED between Midoriya and this out-of-nowhere wunderkind we're supposed to think is the best thing since sliced bread- but I dunno if that was even what Hori was going for now.

The only X-factor is that Nighteye didn't seem to like what he saw when he used his quirk on Mirio right before he died. I kinda took this as Mirio never getting his quirk back, or never becoming a full-fledged hero, or he dies, or he flips at some point for some reason.

That whole thing basically adds up to Mirio and Nighteye and the Overhaul arc in general feeling LIKE a typical throwaway movie arc. It isn't in the end because we have Eri (who is adorable and I'm happy is still part of the cast) and the quirk-killer bullets in play still (the bullets are mentioned in THIS arc, they haven't been forgotten)- but Nighteye just feels like he was dead meat the moment his quirk was mentioned. He's also a prick and it doesn't really matter to me that Mirio says he was cool off screen.

I don't really have much of a problem with the "I wanna be the best there ever was!" thing because All Might honestly is correct when he explicitly says there's a difference between people who "do their best" and those who DO throw themselves into being competitive in terms of squeezing out that extra milage. It is pretty boring as a motivator though like Arist says.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 13, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They're doing another popularity poll but this year and it looks like they're changing the way you submit votes. This year each postcard will require an official application slip, meaning you will need to buy one of either WSJ33 or Vol. 24 manga to apply each time you apply. Before you could just send in as many postcards as you wanted without any kind of application, so this way it'll be harder to send in mass votes for specific characters. It'll be interesting to see if the results of this poll will be significantly different from previous years or not.

There's also a new spin-off manga called "Team Up Missions". It's being done by Yoco Akiyama(one of Horikoshi's assistants who also has a manga of her own). The first chapter will be released on July 25th, then the rest of the series will continue Auguest 2nd. No information on what the plot or anything but Vigilantes turned out to be great, so I'll give this one a chance too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Knuckleduster loving rules.

I never knew Batman x Punisher was the superhero I wanted.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rhonne posted:

They're doing another popularity poll but this year and it looks like they're changing the way you submit votes. This year each postcard will require an official application slip, meaning you will need to buy one of either WSJ33 or Vol. 24 manga to apply each time you apply. Before you could just send in as many postcards as you wanted without any kind of application, so this way it'll be harder to send in mass votes for specific characters. It'll be interesting to see if the results of this poll will be significantly different from previous years or not.

There's also a new spin-off manga called "Team Up Missions". It's being done by Yoco Akiyama(one of Horikoshi's assistants who also has a manga of her own). The first chapter will be released on July 25th, then the rest of the series will continue Auguest 2nd. No information on what the plot or anything but Vigilantes turned out to be great, so I'll give this one a chance too.

What’s the name of her manga?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s the name of her manga?

Saguri-chan Tankentai.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rhonne posted:

Saguri-chan Tankentai.

Thanks!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

235 official translation: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-235/chapter/18605?action=read

235 trivia thread: https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1149786019769663488

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
Spoilers for ch 236 are coming out and it looks like Horikoshi's going all the way :stare:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I looked those up, and it went further than I expected. Wow.

Also, it looks like Decay was always terrifyingly powerful, and whatever was suppressing Shigaraki's memories may have been suppressing it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ok wow yeah.