Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The way I look at it is: nobody whose life is going well is out panhandling, "scammers" or not. My giving someone money is my affair, and how I feel about it is up to me. How they spend it is their business. I've done my best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Okay thanks, I gave her twenty bucks and she seemed appreciative (but reticent) so I'm hoping it did actually help someone in need. I honestly don't even care if they use it on booze and drugs, those are just an escape hatch for the hell world loving them, I just don't want to be conned by a dude who does this as his day job and returns to his McMansion or whatever afterwards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The rich panhandler is a myth.

Rich, useless layabouts are called landlords hth

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Okay I'll throw money at them out of guilt, thanks!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The rich panhandler is a myth.

Rich, useless layabouts are called landlords hth

See also farmers.

Know through a cousin a insanely richer "rancher" who just ones a ranch and lives in a Denver's penthouse partying and whining online about salt of the earth bs

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
It doesn't matter if an individual panhandler is 'scamming' you or not. As long as there are systems, formal or informal, to help people, some people will take advantage. It's not a reason to not help people. What's the worst case, you helped someone who "didn't really need it"? Give when you can and don't when you can't, that's all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

when i lived in the dorms I’d always offer to give the panhandlers food because i had no cash but i did have a meal plan. they always turned me down on that offer :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Len posted:

when i lived in the dorms I’d always offer to give the panhandlers food because i had no cash but i did have a meal plan. they always turned me down on that offer :(

that’s interesting. it’s not uncommon to see people panhandling around Starbucks or Subway here, asking someone to buy them a thing. the few who are generally outside the grocery store near me also seem pretty happy with a prepared sandwich or box of granola bars or whatever too. I wonder what the difference is.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Accepting random offers of food from strangers - many of whom are hostile to panhandlers - is a big risk

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yes that scamming panhandler really pulled one off on me, taking an inconsequential amount on my end to spend on food or drinks or drugs or gas without me being able to morally judge exactly how they used it, totally living it up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

Accepting random offers of food from strangers - many of whom are hostile to panhandlers - is a big risk

yeah, in a society that literally poisons unused food to spite the homeless i would say a little suspicion is warrented

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It’s like listening to the same people who whine about panhandlers whining about somebody using a social program while having the keys to a 15 yo used luxury car that only fools their peer group and is a total money pit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The other week at the drive through someone asked me if I'd buy them a burger so I got them a western double bacon cheeseburg.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

best pan handler i ever encountered was in montreal and he told me where i could drink cheap when iasked if he knew a place. best $10 i spent all night

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Did you know that lady using an ebt the other day was driving a 1996 BMW 318ti with fully oxidized paint, a total scamming welfare queen!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
My city has had a crusade against rooming houses for the past decade or so and the current government also lowered the welfare payouts slightly and for some crazy reason there's more panhandlers than ever.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
give people money if you can

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lancemantis posted:

Yes that scamming panhandler really pulled one off on me, taking an inconsequential amount on my end to spend on food or drinks or drugs or gas without me being able to morally judge exactly how they used it, totally living it up

Nah wasn't worried about that, I honestly have zero problem using money like that on drugs or alcohol, they're a product of a hosed up system regardless. I just hear the (presumably right-wing) tales of people making a billion dollars a day doing this as their dayjob.

But the point about there always being scammers taking advantage of things was helpful, I hadn't considered that's true everywhere (I'm extra cautious similarly about charitable contributions).

I know I'm getting the guillotine when the time comes, I'm just trying to figure out good ways of helping people since I can. Which is why it's easier to give a goon who lost his job a few hundred bucks because I "trust" him compared to some random panhandler I see in the same spot for years on end.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont really give people money often but I make $1200 a month so I have an excuse. i do frequently bum them cigarettes and if they ask me at work I'll give them a mess up pizza if its laying around. gave a chick half my lunch pizza once

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enfys posted:

that’s a good point. I usually give stuff still in the store package, when I don’t have cash, but I hadn’t thought of that aspect

why are people bad

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

500 good dogs posted:

Nah wasn't worried about that, I honestly have zero problem using money like that on drugs or alcohol, they're a product of a hosed up system regardless. I just hear the (presumably right-wing) tales of people making a billion dollars a day doing this as their dayjob.

But the point about there always being scammers taking advantage of things was helpful, I hadn't considered that's true everywhere (I'm extra cautious similarly about charitable contributions).

I know I'm getting the guillotine when the time comes, I'm just trying to figure out good ways of helping people since I can. Which is why it's easier to give a goon who lost his job a few hundred bucks because I "trust" him compared to some random panhandler I see in the same spot for years on end.

anyone who tells you that "oh they're secretly rich" poo poo you reply "if it's so lucrative then why do you work for a living, gently caress face?"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Nah I just see that poo poo online, I don't generally go places (e.g. family events) where there are chuds, and all of my friends and coworkers are at least AOC-fans in term of left-leanings.

Speaking of which, Mike Gravel just reached his donation count minimum for the debates so that'll be a thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Even if they're getting high on it, they probably need to get right more than I need $2 in my pocket.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Larry Parrish posted:

i dont really give people money often but I make $1200 a month so I have an excuse. i do frequently bum them cigarettes and if they ask me at work I'll give them a mess up pizza if its laying around. gave a chick half my lunch pizza once

that is very kind

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Peanut President posted:

anyone who tells you that "oh they're secretly rich" poo poo you reply "if it's so lucrative then why do you work for a living, gently caress face?"

"I have my pride" is the universal response.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Renaissance Robot posted:

hmm that's a tough one

how about "you're about to have my foot in your rear end"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
loving lmao if you have pride

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

That’s not very capitalist of you

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Animated Nerd posted:

Once you've worked somewhere with a strong union, you'll never want to be without one. I can't imagine going back to the conditions that I worked under at my non union gigs. The way that companies have turned them into a boogeyman is one of the most insidious things ever.

I can't stress this enough .

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

I used to struggle with this a lot since my family raised me on that belief. Always said venomous things whenever they saw homeless or very poor people. It's conditioning, man. Gotta break out of it.

If someone is trying to scam me out of a small amount of money, then, gently caress, they're in a life position where it seems like a good choice. Honest or not, if they could do something more profitable they would. There literally physically isn't a way to get rich doing this, unless you happen upon some incongruously generous rich people. Imagine the sheer time it takes to get any real amount of money if they ask people for small amounts. Even if everyone gave them something they'd likely still end up with less than a minimum wage for the amount of hours. Plus the outside conditions, and of course the fuckin' danger.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think most leftists realize that if something is a good idea, like food stamps, the fact that a percentage of people will take undo advantage of it doesn't make it a bad idea. You understand that at a national level. Apply the same concept on a personal level.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Subjunctive posted:

that’s a good point. I usually give stuff still in the store package, when I don’t have cash, but I hadn’t thought of that aspect

why are people bad

Because humanity is a blight.

I'm not sure if it's true or not but the rumor growing up was the chief of police put antifreeze out for stray cats to drink.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQeGBHxIyHw

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Mention "living wage" and we will alert every level of the company to crush you. This is in worker's best interest.

I am so loving angry right now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I absolutely detest the use of the word "associate". It's such a dehumanizing way of referring to your workers. It's like a dogwhistle for worker oppression.

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017
Former panhandler here, just wanted to chime in. I’ve had a lot of crappy jobs in my life and begging is still by far the most soul crushing. Mostly everyone looks through you like you’re a pan of glass, and a number of the ones who acknowledge you exist spew vitriol at you. You stop feeling like a person after a while. And if you’re doing it in a downtown area you'll make about a little less than minimum wage (you can make a lot more if you take a bus out to a shopping center in a wealthy suburb, but the clock is ticking until the cops show up).

If you can’t afford to give someone a buck, try to at the very least make eye contact with them and a small “Sorry, can’t today.” It will remind folk they’re still connected to humanity.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
It's darkly comical how hard they try to be "it's all in the best interests of the workers and we're not anti union and you have the right to organize" but the poo poo they're saying is so vile it can't be phrased nicely. Some people are vulnerable to organizing! You have to look out for warning signs! It is critical to report them immediately!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, panhandling is ludicrously dangerous and demoralising. If someone's doing it, it's very unlikely to be out of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

spankmeister posted:

I absolutely detest the use of the word "associate". It's such a dehumanizing way of referring to your workers. It's like a dogwhistle for worker oppression.

I have a job title of senior associate and I’ve decided just now that I’m going to start saying it like I’m in the mob. it sounds a lot cooler if it sounds like you’re doing organized crime.