Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fidgit posted:

I just saw that James Desborough interviewed David Guyll about YRPGIS. I listened to it long enough to hear the softballs Desborough pitched him. Also, if I wanted to prove that I wasn’t a regressive creep, I’d probably not go on Desborough’s cast.

They're both gamergaters, so the only people they're capable of kidding about not being hateful regressives are each other. I'm guessing Desborough is trying to position himself as some regular alt-right TG news presence because he made sure to interview that guy who was banned from the UK con after running the rapey Tales from the Flood game. It was all softballs and "how do you feel about being cruely victimized by the SJWs?"-tier questions, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Nuns with Guns posted:

They're both gamergaters, so the only people they're capable of kidding about not being hateful regressives are each other. I'm guessing Desborough is trying to position himself as some regular alt-right TG news presence because he made sure to interview that guy who was banned from the UK con after running the rapey Tales from the Flood game. It was all softballs and "how do you feel about being cruely victimized by the SJWs?"-tier questions, too.

He also forgot to censor the face of the guy he was interviewing in the thumbnail, inadvertently doxxing him before someone else pointed it out. As though inviting him on couldn't have been a big-enough screw-up...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Libertad! posted:

Say what you will about Dragonlance, 95% of the novels don't center around an old wizard's sex life. :dong:

My introduction to the series was through the Twins trilogy so I'd have to disagree there. Maybe. I read it 25 years ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Desborough thinks he's so close to the cusp of launching a full-tilt RPGGamerGate on the same scale he can taste it, not realizing that nobody cares and there certainly isn't anybody with enough charisma to galvanize such a thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bruceski posted:

My introduction to the series was through the Twins trilogy so I'd have to disagree there. Maybe. I read it 25 years ago.

Twins was more about how much sex Raistlin wasn't having, and how much of a bitter incel he was 'bout his chadly brother getting the girl instead. :v: That's his whole character arc really. "Went Evil because my crush hooked up with my dumb jock brother."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reene posted:

Does reading Dragonlance give you brain worms or do you need brainworms to get through Dragonlance?

as someone who read Dragonlance as a teen, and even read one book from the series earlier this year, I'm pretty sure the brainworms were already there beforehand

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
you know how in shadowrun you have that incredibly uncomfortable mechanic where certain metahuman phenotypes have stat caps on things like intelligence.

And then you have Gully Dwarves.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
the chronicles consistently use the term hauberk where they should say halberd. I mean okay sure, I'm not going to go all list of glaive-guisarme and everything, but a hauberk's a type of armour

like, "the guard levelled his hauberk at Caramon" and that word doesn't mean what you think it does and the mental picture is ridiculous

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

The most I've been exposed to regarding Dragonlance growing up:
- I'd had a few of the old comics I'd picked up from a Salvation Army like, 25 years ago (specifically, I remember one having AD&D 2e stats for Sturm Brightblade in the back of it)
- the old, obtuse-as-gently caress AD&D Heroes of the Lance game on the NES
- a shithead ex-friend always wanting to make tinker gnomes and/or Kenders a thing in whatever D&D game we played after classes back in high school
- that one meme floating around on the chans about how Kenders are poo poo

Gotta say, glad I never bought into all that bullshit. I mean, looking back there were a couple of cool things about the setting, such as the three different moons and how they affect magic, or the various knight orders, stuff like that. But man, that doesn't even begin to make up for the rest of it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MollyMetroid posted:

the chronicles consistently use the term hauberk where they should say halberd. I mean okay sure, I'm not going to go all list of glaive-guisarme and everything, but a hauberk's a type of armour

like, "the guard levelled his hauberk at Caramon" and that word doesn't mean what you think it does and the mental picture is ridiculous

No, that couldn't be ri...

(checks the collector's editon of the chronicles that, uh, someone must have left here)

:stare:

:catstare:

Hahahahahahaha holy fuckin' poo poo.

e: The one I found has dudes lowering their hauberks threateningly and yeah that sure is an image.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 13, 2019

Dec 26, 2012

MollyMetroid posted:

This confused the hell out of me as a kid in the opposite way because I saw the word in Dragonlance first and then read other books where it cropped up.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Who woulda thought the animated movie featuring Kiefer Sutherland as Raistlin would somehow age the least badly?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fidgit posted:

I just saw that James Desborough interviewed David Guyll about YRPGIS. I listened to it long enough to hear the softballs Desborough pitched him. Also, if I wanted to prove that I wasn’t a regressive creep, I’d probably not go on Desborough’s cast.
Oh so has he quit denying it's him, then?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Oh so has he quit denying it's him, then?

Did he ever? All that happened after he got called out that I saw was he set his main twitter account to private and then deleted the blog, which is basically the same as hiring a pyrotechnics crew to spell out "IT WAS ME" in fireworks across the night sky.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bruceski posted:

TBF, Raistlin is a young wizard.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Twins was more about how much sex Raistlin wasn't having, and how much of a bitter incel he was 'bout his chadly brother getting the girl instead. :v: That's his whole character arc really. "Went Evil because my crush hooked up with my dumb jock brother."

I had it backwards then, I remembered it as sad justifiably-persecuted priestess being enamored with the bad boy wizard and trying to seduce him into not being evil.

E: Man, didn't she wind up going back in time and being so fed up with the clergy being hedonist pricks that she begged the gods to send the Cataclysm and gently caress everyone?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 13, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Liquid Communism posted:

To be a bit fair to Raistlin, another wizard cursed Raistlin to always see people as the dessicated corpses they'd eventually become because extending the twisted logic of a D&D setting to their dumbest extreme wasn't restricted to just Dragonlance's deities.

It was supposed to teach him humility and the value of life, but all it did was make everyone look inhuman and unsexy in his eyes, and gave Raistlin a hefty grudge against the wizard organization to boot.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I read... one or two Dragonlance books? They never caught my interest.

But I do distinctly remember Raistlin getting super awkward and het up about an elf queen because she's immortal and thus doesn't look like a corpse to him, and he could barely handle it. That was in middle school so I basically found every instance of sexuality in books weird and uncanny anyways, so I can't say whether it was as awkward as I remember it being.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Kai Tave posted:

Did he ever? All that happened after he got called out that I saw was he set his main twitter account to private and then deleted the blog, which is basically the same as hiring a pyrotechnics crew to spell out "IT WAS ME" in fireworks across the night sky.

Yeah when he was called out he claimed that he took the screenshot for someone else on a discord server, which must have been where the mysterious author behind the blog got it from, because they were blocked - as if that was somehow acceptable.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I read... one or two Dragonlance books? They never caught my interest.

But I do distinctly remember Raistlin getting super awkward and het up about an elf queen because she's immortal and thus doesn't look like a corpse to him, and he could barely handle it. That was in middle school so I basically found every instance of sexuality in books weird and uncanny anyways, so I can't say whether it was as awkward as I remember it being.

No, it's pretty awkward any time Raistlin encounters a woman his curse doesn't work on. The uncanny sexuality in the books is probably another product of Tracy Hickman's devout mormon beliefs. Like how the kender were his way of justifying thievery even though stealing is wrong.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

fidgit posted:

I'm stupid enough to have this going in the background, and it's mostly boring nothing. I can't believe this thing is 45 minutes. Highlights:

• It's legitimately interesting to learn how his name is pronounced ("Gwill"). Des assumes Welsh, David says he was told it was French. If only they could just make the whole stream about this sort of thing, but I know what puzzle box I've got here.

• The screenshot he shared that somehow mysteriously via someone who lives in the same town wound up on YRPGIS was because he just thought this Twitter bullshit was, you know, interesting, and he wanted to show his non-Twitter friends what it was like and somehow this couldn't be done by having them just go to the website because they didn't want to have Twitter accounts so he had to share a screencap in Discord. He just happened to be looking at Gnome's timeline, specifically a part about body-shame and body-positivity with a selfie in it. What a coincidence!

• A weird cringey dig at Anita Sarkeesian, including some pretty rote lying, with a fine veil of "wow who even remembers her? by the way have you heard about this current news item about her?"

• It's weird how everyone just assumes his politics because he never talks politics on the internet, and it's weird how everyone thinks he's a GamerGater but boy they sure make a lot of sense and sure he liked some GG tweets and whoa what's all this Nazi talk can't we just get along and play games.

• He can't be a misogynist because his wife co-creates stuff with him and once she told him to draw bigger boobs, and also he has a daughter.

• Following the previous Des asks if he's racist, and he makes a jokey "my black friend" reference and then proceeds directly and without irony into an actual "my black friend" story. (was racism supposed to be a part of all this?)

• And then on to "my trans friendbrief acquaintance" but with an immediate caveat about "please don't shove your agenda down my throat, let's just game."

• Maybe the initial incident is a crazy mistake but everything after that is probably a coordinated harassment campaign.

That's 30 minutes done, then apparently the last 15 minutes is Des talking at streamchat and I'm not putting up with that.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Razorwired posted:

Who woulda thought the animated movie featuring Kiefer Sutherland as Raistlin would somehow age the least badly?

That makes sense since the movie was rank poo poo when it came out and has remained unchanged.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I got into Dragonlance when I was like... 13? At the time it was kind of groundbreaking in that it was the first proper "D&D novel" I can think of. It was published before Forgotten Realms, before Gord the Rogue... and so it got people into a world through fiction when there wasn't an equivalent other than Lord of the Rings, and Dragonlance is a hell of an easier read. For all the issues with the novels - which are profound - they're a lot easier to read than Tolkien's prose. And so you got this world that was evoked in a way other D&D settings generally hadn't been up until that point. (Also those covers were pretty great.)

I tried rereading Dragons of Autumn Flame as an adult, though, and I couldn't get past chapter 3. The cringe was just too great for me to overcome.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man I'd forgotten all about Raistlin's curse. The morality in Dragonlance is so hosed up. I just remembered that the reason he got the curse in the first place was because his ambition was go great he straight-up murdered an illusion of his brother because Camaron used magic, and Raistlin hated that his brother could do something that was "his".

Raist didn't know it was a fake. Oh, and Camaron was watching. Raist was still "Neutral", though.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
whole thread full of people who've forgotten what it felt like to be 14 years old and crying because you just read Sturm's death scene.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man I'd forgotten all about Raistlin's curse. The morality in Dragonlance is so hosed up. I just remembered that the reason he got the curse in the first place was because his ambition was go great he straight-up murdered an illusion of his brother because Camaron used magic, and Raistlin hated that his brother could do something that was "his".

Raist didn't know it was a fake. Oh, and Camaron was watching. Raist was still "Neutral", though.

I always wondered if your alignment was really that tied to your robe color, though. It's clear that Raistlin was evil from the word go, but I recall from somewhere he chose the Order of Red Robes because his family would have freaked out if he'd joined the Black Robes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I always wondered if your alignment was really that tied to your robe color, though. It's clear that Raistlin was evil from the word go, but I recall from somewhere he chose the Order of Red Robes because his family would have freaked out if he'd joined the Black Robes.

Was dragonlance the one where if there weren't X Number of evil wizards in the world magic would force some to become evil?

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
Dragonlance was the one where the Silvanesti elves were favored by the gods of good despite their brutal caste system, xenophobia & enslavement of the Kagonesti

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Libertad! posted:

He also forgot to censor the face of the guy he was interviewing in the thumbnail, inadvertently doxxing him before someone else pointed it out. As though inviting him on couldn't have been a big-enough screw-up...

Dawgstar posted:

Desborough thinks he's so close to the cusp of launching a full-tilt RPGGamerGate on the same scale he can taste it, not realizing that nobody cares and there certainly isn't anybody with enough charisma to galvanize such a thing.

The only constant in the universe is how astoundingly dense Des is.

a computing pun posted:

whole thread full of people who've forgotten what it felt like to be 14 years old and crying because you just read Sturm's death scene.

Look, I couldn't cry, I was on a plane to Disney World and 14 is too cool to cry on a plane to Disney World.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It was always implicitly about alignment. Later on when Raistlin finally gives in to the evil voices in his head, his robes turn black anyway, but he was also a selfish dick before that happened.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

a computing pun posted:

When I was 14 years old I was crying over the horrible events of the Deptford Mice trilogy. Dragonlance didn't even move the meter after that.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

After Watership Down nothing in Dragonlance was tugging too hard at my heartstrings, but I liked the prequel book where Sturm, Kitiara, and a bunch of gnomes go to the fuckin' moon

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i never read dragonlance but all the guys who did thought Raistlin was the coolest motherfucker and a bunch of things are suddenly clicking into place

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was always implicitly about alignment. Later on when Raistlin finally gives in to the evil voices in his head, his robes turn black anyway, but he was also a selfish dick before that happened.

Doesn't Raistlin also travel back in time and cause the Cataclysm? I feel like that was the plot of the one Dragonlance book I read. Also, there was something about him finding just the right woman to overcome his incel shittiness. Thinking about that, hoo boy there is a lot of bad poo poo to unpack there if I remember it correctly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don't forget that Raistlin was just Doug Niles' excuse to be an incredible douche to the rest of the playtesting group for the Dragonlance modules. Then he got turned into darkcel god by the flurry of Weis and Hickman novels.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Not gonna lie, as an angsty teen boy who couldn’t get any dates, I was way into Raistlin. Thankfully, I’ve gained some emotional maturity since then, but there’s definitely a lot of yikes to unpack there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I always identified more with Caramon. I guess a character who completely self-sacrifices for the sake of the brother he loves despite the guy being lovely resonated in a way that I'm only now realizing was pretty telling of some anxiety/depression/self-image issues that weren't actually diagnosed until decades later.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Personally, I always felt sorry for Tanis.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
raistlin is purestraing boy teen nerd angst so being into raistlin at that age is pretty normal. the weird part is the author portraying him as right in any way.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

a computing pun posted:

gently caress, spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nuns with Guns posted:

To be a bit fair to Raistlin, another wizard cursed Raistlin to always see people as the dessicated corpses they'd eventually become because extending the twisted logic of a D&D setting to their dumbest extreme wasn't restricted to just Dragonlance's deities.

It was supposed to teach him humility and the value of life, but all it did was make everyone look inhuman and unsexy in his eyes, and gave Raistlin a hefty grudge against the wizard organization to boot.

That was later. Caramon slamming ham with Raistlin's crush is what sent him into the Test with such a lovely attitude that they cursed him like that.

The bit in Twins with the Priestess was about him 'sure you can change me' gaslighting her until she opened a portal into hell so he could go beat up Takhisis and become a God.

Edit: God, I keep remembering worse things. Lord Soth. Everything about Lord Soth, but especially the bit where he is redeemed by realizing it was hosed up to murder his wife and child to conceal that he'd been boning down with. Not doing anything about it mind you, just after centuries going 'huh, my bad'.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 13, 2019