Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

theblackw0lf posted:

No because heads of corporations hoard profit for self-enrichment, which is one reason why minimum wage laws exist.

I highly doubt the Warren campaign has enough money to pay for all the people they would want in their fellowship program.

Again, if you make it all paid, you limit participation.

Also campaigns use the fellowship to also see who who would be the best paid organizers, in part by seeing how much of an effort they put in and their success in that effort. Were you able to build up a neighborhood team? How successful were you in growing that team, plugging people into roles, getting people to make vol recruitment calls? How many one on one meetings with vols did you have? All of these questions are pretty important for a campaign to see to determine who the campaign should then hire to field.

If you make all that paid you are limiting how many people can participate in such a program. That's just a fact.

Let's say you want 3,000 people in your fellowship program, each putting in 30 hours into the program each week. You pay a $15 living wage for those hours.

So that's $450 a week for each person, or roughly $1,800 per fellow per month.

$1,800 x $3,000 = $5,400,000 per month

So you would have to be raising 5.4 mill a month JUST to cover your fellowship program. That doesn't involve all your other expenses.

If you don't have enough money to actually pay all the people you want to have then you don't get all the people you want to have. If it were any other situation you'd likely understand how absolutely hosed the idea that workers should be made to slave away for free until their boss decides that they're worthy of a salary is, but since you're a lib with no principles it suddenly becomes OK when your team is doing it because of "participation". It's no different from any other employer having unpaid interns on the pretense that the experience is reward enough. And that's really hosed up.

Calibanibal posted:

Oh well its just performative so let every clown put on their little show? I don't agree with that. That's just a waste of my time (I hate the circus)

You should be grateful. It's why you get to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

Oh well its just performative so let every clown put on their little show? I don't agree with that. That's just a waste of my time (I hate the circus)

Right now you're being a sad clown.:qq:

It's almost as if...rudeness is...called for?:thunk:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gently caress👏🏾Off👏🏾House👏🏾Democrats👏🏾

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I know I'm angry and earnest posting but

gently caress YOU

gently caress YOU YOU TOOTHY SACK OF poo poo, using cancer as a way to smokescreen to keep people from getting healthcare. People are dying from treatable cancer right now because they can't afford care. Drop dead you old racist gently caress.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm a little surprised this isn't getting much discussion in USPOL considering it should be topical for that thread. the dem leadership is being unbelievably lovely to AOC and minorities everywhere and then trying to use the native american identity of a representative that voted for trump's concentration camps to block off any discussion

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Condiv posted:

i'm a little surprised this isn't getting much discussion in USPOL considering it should be topical for that thread. the dem leadership is being unbelievably lovely to AOC and minorities everywhere and then trying to use the native american identity of a representative that voted for trump's concentration camps to block off any discussion
It’s an incredible one-tweet summary of what lying, disingenuous, manipulative scumbags they are, and the teens calling it out here finally got me to donate to Gravel.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Breakfast All Day posted:

I know I'm angry and earnest posting but

gently caress YOU

gently caress YOU YOU TOOTHY SACK OF poo poo, using cancer as a way to smokescreen to keep people from getting healthcare. People are dying from treatable cancer right now because they can't afford care. Drop dead you old racist gently caress.

its super hosed up

your son is dead, and you're being emotional and hysterical and petulant about it? Give me a break, there are people who are dying right now that can be saved. I can't trust someone like Joe to lead this country if he doesn't have the manly stoicism that Hillary Clinton lacked due to being a woman if he's so loving hung up and damaged over the tragic loss of his son that it affects his mental acuity to make the tough decisions. Being way too emotional, save me the histrionics thanks

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

a little weird posting

but of course the idea of cure for cancer is kind of a crapshoot cause it's never coming given how cancer works

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Berke Negri posted:

a little weird posting

but of course the idea of cure for cancer is kind of a crapshoot cause it's never coming given how cancer works

its literally one of those pie in the sky promises compared to say, idk, free healthcare, tuition free college?

also hi Berke been a while, hope you're doing alright. Don't want to eat a 3fer again just for saying hi :rolleyes: so with that said, Joe Biden is pandering to an emotional appeal in the worst way, and establishment democrats, especially career politicians like him who have done enough work to shape America culturally, socially and economically for the last 40 years, tout to be pragmatic? That's a bunch of malarkey. They seriously do not have any direction other than holding onto power for privilege and convenience while wonking it out with people's livelihoods and separating families through mass incarceration, meritocratic based education system and concentration camps. The jig is clearly up and they're fighting to maintain the status quo :tif: :centrism:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Lastgirl posted:

its literally one of those pie in the sky promises compared to say, idk, free healthcare, tuition free college?

those are actually extremely feasible while curing cancer is definitely out of our spectrum at the moment (some forms are treatable, what beau biden had was basically hosed and you are hosed)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Berke Negri posted:

those are actually extremely feasible while curing cancer is definitely out of our spectrum at the moment (some forms are treatable, what beau biden had was basically hosed and you are hosed)

exactly, the problem with democrats now is that they worship incrementalism, but its turned into inertia because they've conceded and bargained one time too many. To cure cancer, in this hypothetical scenario, you would have to pool resources and have a global army of researchers and scientists which would cost far more money and time and resources than free college and healthcare, and ironically if you had free college, you would create more doctors, scientists and researchers in America as well so its just what the gently caress Joe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

free college and healthcare would also dramatically lower rates of preventable cancers, so

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT0CES2qkNc

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Lastgirl posted:

exactly, the problem with democrats now is that they worship incrementalism, but its turned into inertia because they've conceded and bargained one time too many. To cure cancer, in this hypothetical scenario, you would have to pool resources and have a global army of researchers and scientists which would cost far more money and time and resources than free college and healthcare, and ironically if you had free college, you would create more doctors, scientists and researchers in America as well so its just what the gently caress Joe

yeah i mean doing all that wouldn't really prevent much because most cancers are genetic and we're all ticking time bombs

definitely should have a candidate (unlike biden) that's actually pushing for more universal healthcare. everyone gets sick, or dies, but shouldn't be a financial crisis over it

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Curing cancer costs money
The things that cause cancer in the first place make money
We will not be stopping cancer any time soon

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

free college and healthcare would also dramatically lower rates of preventable cancers, so

its very ironic, and in the bad way

Berke Negri posted:

yeah i mean doing all that wouldn't really prevent much because most cancers are genetic and we're all ticking time bombs

definitely should have a candidate (unlike biden) that's actually pushing for more universal healthcare. everyone gets sick, or dies, but shouldn't be a financial crisis over it

i think you would have to accelerate technological advancements in the medical field that can only be achieved in your wildest dreams (it can be done to a degree) before you think about addressing the biological aspect. Things like gene splicing or altering your DNA out of the sci-fi novels. Scientists have computer mapped out new amino acid chains that have never existed in nature for example because of the unique protein folding structure which has enormous upsides and downsides, just one of many potential examples. Things like engineering out genes that cause cancer in the human population would be feasible in an egalitarian society in a century or so, given the exponential rate of development if we aren't all going to catch on fire in the next 2-3 decades. Nice to think about, still pie in the sky because if this happens in a late stage hypercapitalist society, its even more hosed up.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Booourns posted:

Curing cancer costs money
The things that cause cancer in the first place make money
We will not be stopping cancer any time soon

i mean yeah, carcinogens can cause things, but its not like beau biden got brain cancer cause he smoked too much or ate bad food or drove too many cars

edit:

Lastgirl posted:

i think you would have to accelerate technological advancements in the medical field that can only be achieved in your wildest dreams (it can be done to a degree) before you think about addressing the biological aspect. Things like gene splicing or altering your DNA out of the sci-fi novels. Scientists have computer mapped out new amino acid chains that have never existed in nature for example because of the unique protein folding structure which has enormous upsides and downsides, just one of many potential examples. Things like engineering out genes that cause cancer in the human population would be feasible in an egalitarian society in a century or so, given the exponential rate of development if we aren't all going to catch on fire in the next 2-3 decades. Nice to think about, still pie in the sky because if this happens in a late stage hypercapitalist society, its even more hosed up.

yeah i mean that'd be great

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 13, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Things like Dems trying to steal the election from Katz, and this whole crazy attack against AOC are important for thinking about the presidential election. They are clear signs that the Democratic establishment is going to do anything they can to stop Bernie, even if it means destroying the party. When Bernie is the nominated candidate, there's going to be Democrats just flat out endorsing Trump.

We gotta be ready for this, because it's gonna become crazy ugly.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Life has been crazy ugly the past 2 and a half years every day if youre thinking it's just now well....

that said I'm all for AOC, i trust my bartenders more than politicians so if you combine the two well,

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Berke Negri posted:

Life has been crazy ugly the past 2 and a half years every day if youre thinking it's just now well....

I am referring specifically to the Democratic primary elections.

Life has been crazy ugly for a lot longer than the past 2 and a half years every day if youre thinking it's just since Trump was elected well....

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah it's only until trump got elected i ever thought this country maybe wasn't right

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Lastgirl posted:

its super hosed up

your son is dead, and you're being emotional and hysterical and petulant about it? Give me a break, there are people who are dying right now that can be saved. I can't trust someone like Joe to lead this country if he doesn't have the manly stoicism that Hillary Clinton lacked due to being a woman if he's so loving hung up and damaged over the tragic loss of his son that it affects his mental acuity to make the tough decisions. Being way too emotional, save me the histrionics thanks

David Cameron (the last UK prime minister) had a kid who died. And he used it (the tragic death of his child) whenever he faced criticism about his party starving the NHS of funds.

Dead kids* are catnip for politicians.

*and pigs in the UK, since David Cameron hosed a dead pig.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

S/o to lastgirl for being a real one itt

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Majorian posted:

Right now you're being a sad clown.:qq:

"Great troll in thread, Calibanibal, go and see them."

"But doctor, you took the bait."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If someone opposes paying all campaign workers, I gather they’d probably also oppose overtime for campaign workers since that too would reduce the total number of workers the campaign can hire.

Sanders is the only campaign with a collective bargaining agreement mandating overtime for hourly employees, for those curious.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It seems like Joe's attempts to tie himself to the Obama administration aren't insulating him from attacks after all. In fact, they're now drawing in attacks, as protesters demand he answer for the sins of the Obama administration.

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1149779380152995843

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Things like Dems trying to steal the election from Katz, and this whole crazy attack against AOC are important for thinking about the presidential election. They are clear signs that the Democratic establishment is going to do anything they can to stop Bernie, even if it means destroying the party. When Bernie is the nominated candidate, there's going to be Democrats just flat out endorsing Trump.

We gotta be ready for this, because it's gonna become crazy ugly.

If what you're saying is right, and I think it is, then we have to grapple with the likelihood that the DNC would deny Bernie the nomination irrespective of how many delegates he gets. They can still technically go the "smoke filled room" route. If they're already comfortable losing to Trump rather than letting the Sanders wing take over the party, why would they nominate Sanders at all? Of course, it's still worth it for us to support Sanders and making the party brass reveal themselves as frauds if indeed that's what they're going to be. But let's not imagine a scenario in which Sanders gets nominated while the party establishment defects to Trump; such a party establishment would rather eschew the typical nominating process and install an establishment candidate by committee.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Trabisnikof posted:

If someone opposes paying all campaign workers, I gather they’d probably also oppose overtime for campaign workers since that too would reduce the total number of workers the campaign can hire.

Sanders is the only campaign with a collective bargaining agreement mandating overtime for hourly employees, for those curious.

The situation is different because campaigns aren’t for-profit businesses. People are there because they want to be, not because they’re desperate to go on living. Thus, exploitation is of less concern.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

The situation is different because campaigns aren’t for-profit businesses. People are there because they want to be, not because they’re desperate to go on living. Thus, exploitation is of less concern.

No I get the argument people are making that wage exploitation is OK if its for a political campaign, but that would also apply to overtime payment, vacation days, breaks, limits to shift lengths, etc.

Like if it is good to not pay one worker it clearly follows that underpaying another worker is good too.

Sure is a shame that the consultants making $100,000+ a year can't afford to get paid a little less, but luckily the hourly workers can make up the slack!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ogmius815 posted:

"people who work on campaigns don't need money and this, to me, is a good thing"

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ogmius815 posted:

I somehow doubt Bernie's hairstylist is there "because they want to be"

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
The Biden and Warren campaigns are just vying to capture voters who supported Hillary Clinton 2016 for Clinton's bold pro-using slave labor stance

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

No I get the argument people are making that wage exploitation is OK if its for a political campaign, but that would also apply to overtime payment, vacation days, breaks, limits to shift lengths, etc.

Like if it is good to not pay one worker it clearly follows that underpaying another worker is good too.

Sure is a shame that the consultants making $100,000+ a year can't afford to get paid a little less, but luckily the hourly workers can make up the slack!

This argument proves too much though. By this logic, campaigns should have to pay everyone who works on their behalf. Where is the line between a staff member and a volunteer? I’ve worked on campaigns where I put in almost full time work (especially at the end) and had a fancy title and specific responsibilities. Should that not be allowed? Keep in mind this was a ballot measure for a local issue and nobody on the campaign made any money.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Ogmius815 posted:

This argument proves too much though. By this logic, campaigns should have to pay everyone who works on their behalf. Where is the line between a staff member and a volunteer? I’ve worked on campaigns where I put in almost full time work (especially at the end) and had a fancy title and specific responsibilities. Should that not be allowed? Keep in mind this was a ballot measure for a local issue and nobody on the campaign made any money.

That's not what happened though these "fellowships" are positions with set schedules and requirements that volunteers are not expected or bound by

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ogmius815 posted:

You should be able to join a union that can help you find correct compensation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

The line between a staff member and a volunteer is easy: does the position have employee like requirements? Such as required hours, required work tasks, or the like.

Warren's fellowship requires a time commitment, volunteering for Warren does not. See the difference?

Also donating your time like you did with that campaign is an in-kind contribution, specifically because the law recognizes that your labor has value. This fellowship program is a loophole to avoid that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

A volunteer is someone that you can ask to do something, a staffer is someone you can tell to do something, hth. And if you're doing work where someone can tell you to do something you should get paid, but do go in inventing increasingly tortured justifications for why screwing over workers is actually cool and good if you can convince them that they want to be there. I'm sure that that can't possibly lead to any horrific abuse, no sir.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

A volunteer is someone that you can ask to do something, a staffer is someone you can tell to do something, hth. And if you're doing work where someone can tell you to do something you should get paid, but do go in inventing increasingly tortured justifications for why screwing over workers is actually cool and good if you can convince them that they want to be there. I'm sure that that can't possibly lead to any horrific abuse, no sir.

It's on brand both for Warren, who thinks that capitalism is cool and good, and Biden, who is an exploitative patriarchy elemental composed of pure goyan saturn devours his child energy, though

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

The line between a staff member and a volunteer is easy: does the position have employee like requirements? Such as required hours, required work tasks, or the like.

Warren's fellowship requires a time commitment, volunteering for Warren does not. See the difference?

Also donating your time like you did with that campaign is an in-kind contribution, specifically because the law recognizes that your labor has value. This fellowship program is a loophole to avoid that.

Well, that’s my point. This is something like the legal difference between an employee and a contractor. I think there’s room for volunteer positions on campaigns and not for profit organizations that come with concrete commitments and expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Well, that’s my point. This is something like the legal difference between an employee and a contractor. I think there’s room for volunteer positions on campaigns and not for profit organizations that come with concrete commitments and expectations.

Right and the Warren and Biden campaigns are using a legal loophole to expand the definitions of volunteer to cover positions that are clearly internships.

Now you can again, say that labor exploitation is OK so long as its at a non-profit. But you have to recognize it is labor exploitation.