Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
https://twitter.com/ComradeYouSpurs/status/1149672163579813888?s=19

e: man what the gently caress is going on with my club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bghayward/status/1149813958343139328

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
what an accomplishment

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 17, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I realize some people have it worse (rip newcastle) but god drat this sumemr is infuriating for a United supporter.

All spring long Woodward talked about preparation, long term strategy and poo poo, and then summer rolls in and what happens? The same old poo poo. Targets constantly shifting, no clear strategy, obviously no clear targets. We're in mid-July, less than a month away from the start of the season. Already into United's pre-season tour for which Ole wanted the whole squad ready, and United have signed two (2) players.

Hemming and hawing, faffing about thinking of preparing bids, spending weeks haggling over a few million quid and losing players to other clubs as a result. It's insanity! United supposedly spent weeks haggling over Maguire, but have now shifted their attention to some portuguese defender whom they're suddenly scouting. IN loving MID JULY! Right now next season is already looking like a disaster, because even if Wan-Bissaka and James turn out to be worldies, they won't plug up all the holes in United's squad.

Still need a veteran center back to partner Lindelöf, still need to sort out the midfield (which meant at least one player EVEN BEFORE HERRERA WAS LET GO), still probably need a striker, still need to shift out a bunch of deadwood, still need to resolve the Pogba situation, the Lukaku situation and the de Gea situation, all three of which might mean having to find very very high quality replacements on a very short notice.

It's hard to imagine much more incompetent leadership (again with the exception of and condolences to rip newcastle) ffs.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I would argue the United leadership has been more competent than the Arsenal leadership so far this summer.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Somehow Chelsea aren't having the worst offseason of the top six despite losing their best player and a transfer ban, which is really impressive

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I would argue the United leadership has been more competent than the Arsenal leadership so far this summer.

Fair point. It's a real loving comedy show over there.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This summer has been absolutely bizarre. It’s as though everyone suddenly went on vacation three weeks ago. They apparently made bids on three players and then just gave up or something. I’ve been wondering whether there are some serious financial problems that haven’t gotten out yet because what’s been going on seems inexplicable.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 13, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It's certainly possible they've both had no Champions League penalties in their sponsorships agreements trigger.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Excuse me are you not aware of our star signing Gabriel Martinelli???

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Rangers signed a defender from Bologna bringing our contingent to a really decent level defensively.

Now just need to sign Ryan Kent and a striker

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

€26m fee and an immediate loan back to Genoa

Ok now I get it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gigi Galli posted:

Ok now I get it.

Money laundering?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
If villa sign dubravka too, holy hell are we hosed this year

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Mandzukic going back to Bayern is a thing being rumored now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

kcer posted:

If villa sign dubravka too, holy hell are we hosed this year

wait what

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/1150111987889778690
is it really the case that Arsenal's finances are in bad shape, because that's what people on Twitter seem to say in response to this

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Yup. If we were going to make a bid like that, then either Auba or Laca would be going.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Looks like Delph may be off to Everton for a bit over £8m, nothing official though

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Berahino didn't turn up for his trial at Birmingham.

Football trial, not a criminal trial.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

trem_two posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/1150111987889778690
is it really the case that Arsenal's finances are in bad shape, because that's what people on Twitter seem to say in response to this

They’ve underperformed in every financial metric for about 5-6 years except for money spent, and it seems to all be hitting them now.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

BBC said Steve Bruce has been in talks with Newcastle.

RIP Newcastle.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I think Arsenal could potentially sign the right player for £80m if the selling club were open to installments. The problem is the current transfer strategy is open with a derisory offer and immediately piss the selling club off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Frankston posted:

BBC said Steve Bruce has been in talks with Newcastle.

RIP Newcastle.

Have you been under a rock for the last week?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Jose posted:

wait what

saw it on twitter before, the mail reckon he's unsettled and could leave

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The latest rumors in the Icardi to Juve situation is that Kean plus cash might be headed to Inter.

I'm upset

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal have apparently agreed to pay what Celtic want for Tierney. Wonder what took so long.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kcer posted:

saw it on twitter before, the mail reckon he's unsettled and could leave

Probably sell him after Darlow leaves too

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal have apparently agreed to pay what Celtic want for Tierney. Wonder what took so long.

they lost out on other poo poo so found the cheapest way to get something

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
The “big” clubs in Europa League contention should lean on their academy programs, the same way any other team might, except that they have a huge development investment advantage, so why havent they thought of this already?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Reprisal posted:

The “big” clubs in Europa League contention should lean on their academy programs, the same way any other team might, except that they have a huge development investment advantage, so why havent they thought of this already?

They have. Clubs pour a ton of resources into their youth systems, but there’s a lot of luck involved in picking a child that will grow into a player who can start for a big club. The championship and leagues one and two are full of players who were in the academies of big clubs. But getting the player who will not only be a pro but one of the 100 or so people in the world who can play for a big club is rare.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Clubs need to maintain their position which is why buying an established player makes more sense than trying to develop a player who will make mistakes and start off at a lower level. The cost of failure to reach trophy and league position targets is the managers job. Unless you’re a North London club where failure is ingrained, expected, and accepted.

It’s one reason people are happy with Lampard coming in with the transfer ban, the team will be forced to use some talent who have been there for years and want to play for the club.

Instead of wasting all our money on a donkey striker again.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
players like willock, saka, smith-rowe, nelson and bielek all have clear talent, but are also clearly not ready for the premier league. getting them to be useful at a premier league level as quickly as possible is the problem facing the club.

e: nketiah and a few others as well, but they are newer.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Should just go full FM and play the kids in europa league and league cup.

Genuinely believe loving around with Tierney is down to Sanhelli not understanding Arsenal can't do Barca transfer shithousery, same reason they lowballed Zaha hoping he would kick off and put a transfer request in.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"Shola" is trending on twitter now and it's a bizarre of newcastle fans and some sort of nigerian version of big brother?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
newcastle's first probable transfer and lol

https://twitter.com/S_McCormick95/status/1150337773100044296

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently this is happening:

quote:

United have agreed a world-record £80m deal for Harry Maguire. He is set to fly to Manchester for his medical tomorrow. United will pay £60m + £20m in add ons. #mufc [Sun]

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Maguire is having his medical with Man U tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It feels like he's got as much chance of being Phil Jones as he does of being Rio Ferdinand