Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

its a fairly common english phrase tho?

Yeah. I think it's a common expression in a lot of languages since the "eyes are the window of the soul" etc. We have a similar one in Portuguese too. And I've seen it a lot in English books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Welp, I've gone and preordered it. :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
can't wait for my free byleth in heroes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Koth posted:

Something bad happens to Dmitri during the timeskip that causes him to go all angrymans and "the nobility must be destroyed."

Yeah Dimitri rules

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone got the source of this recent leak on hand?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Join Golden Deer so you can teach Claude how to smize.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I'm probably going to just play the game three times in a row

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A surefire way to make myself hate the game I'd otherwise love by the hundredth hour

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly I'm probably going to just play the game three times in a row

...Wait, is everyone just going to play one route this whole time here

cheetah7071 posted:

A surefire way to make myself hate the game I'd otherwise love by the hundredth hour

....I play every FE game except revelation multiple times

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've played most FEs a ton of times. I think FE1 is the only one I haven't played multiple times, and most are at at least three. But I usually space them out. Playing Conquest->Birthright->Revelation in Japanese in a row then doing it again in English a few months later contributed a ton to my disdain of Fates because the flaws get exposed mor easily with scrutiny

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Tae posted:

...Wait, is everyone just going to play one route this whole time here

Hey, I'll play all the routes.

...and probably burn out before I finish any route but hopefully I actually pull it off this time.

And also maybe get around to finishing Birthright too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Anyone got the source of this recent leak on hand?

These aren't leaks, they're previews from reviewers.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I will probably burst through the first route, then do a slower route immediately and maybe take a full break before starting the third. Which if the DLC is good I might pair up with that

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I, too, will marathon all three routes and then be so burnt out I won't be able to play the game again until the next FE comes out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'll play however many routes there are within the first month of iit being out probably, but the route you do first obviously frames how you view everything else about the game so it's still a pretty important decision. If say, Hubert is a massive rear end in a top hat on Blue Lions/Golden Deer route, then that's gonna be your main impression of him, as a random example.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of said preview, this looks like about the right level of arrogance for an imperial heir.

Also, the game appears to use set seeds for the class exams, since the GameXplain guy said

quote:

"And I did a bit of save scumming to try to retake the same course over and over again. Restarted about 5 or 6 times, never passed despite like a 68% chance"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i'm going to love this game so much and play it so much, time permitting, that i'm gonna be unable to ever pick it up again by the time i'm done with it, a la awakening at release

also i guess we have the title screen cinematic? dunno what can be gleaned from this that we don't already know

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/beetle_crab/status/1149910240638525440

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that comic sucks a lot, holy gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its got everything from 'lesbians exist solely to mock gay men' to 'gay old men are disgusting' to 'no woman could ever want to gently caress an older woman' truly it is the pinnacle of the discourse

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Every other preview says there's major decisions within each route, arg, so it looks like 8 playthroughs minimum at this point, assuming it's not fake choices like awakening.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I do appreciate Sothis being in the gay baby jail. Stop it already with child characters "that are in reality 1000 years old" being romance options.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Every other preview says there's major decisions within each route, arg, so it looks like 8 playthroughs minimum at this point, assuming it's not fake choices like awakening.
I mean they can be major choices without drastically altering the route. Like the plot could be overall the same but you could recruit one teacher or another, for instance. That'd be a major choice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I do appreciate Sothis being in the gay baby jail. Stop it already with child characters "that are in reality 1000 years old" being romance options.
i mean so far none of her dialogue or actions have made her seem like she acts like a kid like, say, nowi did, so she just comes across as a tiny adult to me

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

its got everything from 'lesbians exist solely to mock gay men' to 'gay old men are disgusting' to 'no woman could ever want to gently caress an older woman' truly it is the pinnacle of the discourse

i. didn't get the first part from that comic. i read that as "the wlw options are all good and there's more of them."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i appreciate sothis being very openly contemptuous of byleth in the scenes we've seen of her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

i. didn't get the first part from that comic. i read that as "the wlw options are all good and there's more of them."
im insanely mad that people are acting like the lesbians are getting the promised land when i can date neither catherine nor shamir, and instead i get 'evil empress that must be put to the blade', 'evil bishop that must be put to the blade,' 'lisa imai,' 'ruri hoshino,' and 'a side character from an early 2000s yuri manga who gets called onee-sama by one of the antagonists and acts as a humanizing trait for her'

like idk there's obvious issues with the lesbian options too but people are utterly refusing to engage with them because they're slightly better in some ways. overall im not really mad about the options at hand considering my expectations but idk why the people who are mad are pretending the disparity is this stark.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 13, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ofc if i do criticize the lesbian optiosn someone's gonna say 'yuri is for men' or something so i guess there's no winning and FE shouldn't have gay options, ive decided

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dude I’m literally a wlw too you don’t need to rant at me.

We don’t even know that those other two even ARE the other options, the previous leak mentioned Manuela as an option who IS an older woman.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i was explaining why the image made me mad, and also i really doubt its manuela considering that the person with a preview copy referred to the two other f/f options as 'spoilers' but then showed gilbert and alois fine, indicating they don't consider teachers spoilers, and manuela is just a teacher.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
jfc shippers can be nutso

In other news, menu music is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJTC02-apk&t=102s

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So since only Byleth gets S Ranks, and since there doesn't seem to be any limits on Supports, do we think that there might not be paired endings for the rest of the army this go around?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

rannum posted:

So since only Byleth gets S Ranks, and since there doesn't seem to be any limits on Supports, do we think that there might not be paired endings for the rest of the army this go around?
Previewers were saying that some characters, including students post-timeskip, have existing relationships and marriages within the story so it wouldn't make sense for their supports to be strictly romantic

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

i was explaining why the image made me mad, and also i really doubt its manuela considering that the person with a preview copy referred to the two other f/f options as 'spoilers' but then showed gilbert and alois fine, indicating they don't consider teachers spoilers, and manuela is just a teacher.

if manuela won't spank me with her conductor stick this game is homophobic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IGN wiki has everyone's base stats and proficiences/weaknesses. Hopefully they have growth rates soon too, but you can mostly intuit those based off bases.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I was not expecting "spoiled and doesn't like to put in effort" Hilda to be good with Axes and Heavy Armor, but I am extremely down for this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not sure if Shamir was a guest in one battle I saw, but if she was permanent there, the level requirement to recruit her isn't that high if it's pre time skip.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheFireMagi posted:

I was not expecting "spoiled and doesn't like to put in effort" Hilda to be good with Axes and Heavy Armor, but I am extremely down for this
Yeah there's a few really solid beats like that. Annette has an axe proficiency too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Some characters look really pigeonholed while others are wide open developmentally.

Also I feel real bad for the ones that lack hidden talents and crests. Mostly because some of the crest effects are loving crazy powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

Yeah there's a few really solid beats like that. Annette has an axe proficiency too.

I am HERE for axe mage.

But seriously, considering the limited charges mages have (I think a saw a screenshot where Thunder had 8) it might be very useful for magic users to be able to use melee weapons as well, depending on how long the maps are.