Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
oh yeah i'll agree with that. that seemed like a sequence that was someone at id's baby and they refused to let it go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Which sequence are we talking about exactly? He (iirc) spent most of the game punching things and being told to go punch power conduits etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The writing in doom 4 was great, but lots of it they were smart enough to hide in the corners and let you run past if you weren't interested. Some people don't know how much there is about the night sentinels and argent and all that, and I think that's cool. Things you can choose to investigate if you want, or things to notice on re-plays.

But then they still have some forced cutscenes. We discussed in the Doom 4 thread many times how it'd be nice if they'd let you just like Press F to give the NPC the finger and skip the cutscene. If you wanna watch it, you can watch it. If you wanna skip it, you can skip it. Seems ideal, right?

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!
Most of DOOM 4's cutscenes are like a five second animation of you breaking a thing while Hayden tries desperately to get a full sentence out before you run off to break more of his things. There's the one time Hayden locks you in a room to force you to listen to his spiel about how he only has mankind's best interest at heart when opening the gate to hell but there are load screens that are longer than that segment so it never really bothers me. Maybe Eternal will fix it by letting you skip it or perhaps even not even having an obligatory minute long bit where you're stuck in a room doing not much of anything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Serephina posted:

Which sequence are we talking about exactly? He (iirc) spent most of the game punching things and being told to go punch power conduits etc.

The one where you're forced to stand in robotman's office and listen to him monologuing at you, I'd assume.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
More shooters should take a cue from Postal 2: Paradise Lost, where there's a long-winded explanation as to what's been going on around Paradise in the last 11 years, but if you don't care/are in a hurry/whatever, you can just kick the guy delivering the exposition and he'll go "fine, no backstory for you, bitch" and skip straight to the end.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
alternatively: don't take any lessons from postal games

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
We have a new beta up for Blood FS: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1010750/discussions/0/1640916564839813299/

quote:

• Sprite links and how they're handled on level load is now correctly accurate,
  • Earth zombie accuracy behavior fix. They immediately go into search state when woken,
  • Ghost sight check accuracy behavior fix (does not use eye-height offset when calling hitscan),
  • Napalm damage type accuracy fixed. Now uses hitscan type,
  • Tommy Gun Alt-Fire attack now uses the correct vector type. Vector type 3 now identified as BV_BULLET_WIDE,
  • Gillbeasts now take flare/fire damage on land,
  • Speed optimizations when writing save games,
  • Sounds now precached on startup,
  • Correct logic for changing AI targets and kin (incorrect randomization weight),
  • Miscellaneous General Engine Improvements.

(Yeesh that first comment in the thread is ridiculous)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The writing in doom 4 was great, but lots of it they were smart enough to hide in the corners and let you run past if you weren't interested. Some people don't know how much there is about the night sentinels and argent and all that, and I think that's cool. Things you can choose to investigate if you want, or things to notice on re-plays.

But then they still have some forced cutscenes. We discussed in the Doom 4 thread many times how it'd be nice if they'd let you just like Press F to give the NPC the finger and skip the cutscene. If you wanna watch it, you can watch it. If you wanna skip it, you can skip it. Seems ideal, right?

Katana Zero literally has this dialogue feature. Its incredible.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ETPC posted:

alternatively: don't take any lessons from postal games

yeah

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Holy moly I finally gave Quake a proper go and beat episode 1. This game is so fun. Or at least episode 1 is, I don’t know about the rest yet.

But yeah, the music is good, the shooting is fun, the weapons feel meaty. The level design was mixed but overall I enjoyed it more than, day, doom episode 3

Speaking of doom, this game weirdly makes me appreciate what that game has going on all the more.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

The best thing about Doom 4 is that it has actual secrets and rewards you for moving around the map looking for them. But at cross purpose to that (and I absolutely hate this) it has a strong tendency to lock you into a fight. Even if there are probably sound performance reasons for doing this it is just irritating.

The combat is punchy but it’s also samey: the fixation on locking the player in with waves of enemies makes encounters feel invariant. They did a pretty commendable job of modernizing the look and feel of the bestiary (the imps are the only conceptual fuckup imo — they are way too prone to run away launching the player into an irritating yakety sax sequence) but the new monsters are pretty forgettable and the enemy AI overall isn’t top tier. The art is decent to great. The maps are well made. The writing is fairly dire and there could stand to be a lot less of it — the codex stuff is ok but the main plot is junk.

It’s good enough that it grabbed people, but it could have been a lot better. I don’t know that 5 will improve on its flaws either. But it deserves credit for being a Doom game where it’s fun to kill demons. Doom 3 couldn’t do that so this was not a no-brainer.

Yeah this about where I'm settling on it, with only about 2 levels left to go. Most of the bits and pieces feel really good in isolation, but when put together they don't quite mesh together right. Like each enemy by itself has the right mix of behaviors, animations, and sound cues, but when put all together into yet another conveniently circular arena with platforms suddenly half of them are loving obnoxious and you tend to get blindsided too often because their AI just lets them go anywhere they want. I get not wanting the game's focus on verticality to hobble the AI, but you get chased down in pretty ridiculous ways by Pinkies and Mancubi when I don't think you really should.

It also makes encounters not feel like they're meaningfully designed; with minimal control over the player's coordinates at any given time they can't really sell memorable "oh poo poo" moments because, say, spawning in a pair of Barons will lack the proper impact because I could be staring at a wall in some arbitrary corner picking my nose and they reach me at varying times based on the map layout.

Plan Z posted:

The worst part about Doom 4 are those challenges that make you play a level in a way that's less fun than just going through it.

The big problem with them is that there's no consistency. There's a bunch of "contrive the perfect scenario where you can kill 5 zombie with one explosive barrel" type poo poo right next to a bunch that are just "find some secrets, stupid" (even though finding secrets already gives progress towards weapon upgrade points so it's weirdly redundant) right next to a handful of "do something actually kinda cool and please enjoy these contextual animations we spent so much time on" but then also right next to "repeatedly kill X enemy type with fiddly Y glory kill animation 5 times". One is for straight-up playing a Doom-themed Bejeweled easter egg...because...reasons.

I'm also glad they don't dump every single mechanic on you at once, instead drip-feeding them over the first handful of levels, but once you do get your hands on all of them it's immediately apparent that they overdesigned this stuff. Way too much time faffing around worrying about challenges, weapon upgrade unlock conditions, and basically everything about runes. Runes were a bad idea, because inevitably some are just throwaway filler that nobody would ever use once better options present themselves (pickup vacuum) whereas others completely change the game for better or worse (speed after glory kill, infinite ammo from high armor, armor from glory kills) but since you can only have 3 equipped they can't actually design anything with them in mind.

Edit: Oh, and the Cyber Demon fight sucked. :cmon: The Hell Guard fight or whatever they're called was a lot better.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 13, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rocket Pan posted:

We have a new beta up for Blood FS: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1010750/discussions/0/1640916564839813299/

Nice, thanks for continuing to push these out.

Okay I have to ask, though--are you meant to "Pistol (Pitchfork) Start" Blood levels? I've been doing that for the most part, but I haven't figured out how to force it except to die and then let the game reload the level.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nice, thanks for continuing to push these out.

Okay I have to ask, though--are you meant to "Pistol (Pitchfork) Start" Blood levels? I've been doing that for the most part, but I haven't figured out how to force it except to die and then let the game reload the level.

Can't say for certain, but while technically viable it's not explicitly expected of the user.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

gently caress shamblers

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

gently caress shamblers
You can bait Shamblers in much the same way that you can bait Revenants in Doom 2 - get up close, then step away when they launch into their melee attack animation, then step back once they miss, etc. (The Copper mod makes this less effective by slowly increasing a chance of having the Shambler just zap your rear end instead)

Also, Shamblers only take half-damage from explosives, so use the Super Nailgun or the Thunderbolt where you can.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

In fact it's way, way easier to bait Shamblers than Revenants because the Revenant punching animation is way quicker than the Shambler's slow-as-hell tearing animation. Like, I can semi-consistently bait a Shambler into a melee loop, I can't say the same about Revenants as yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My ideal Doom 5 doesnt tie anything to exploration but keeps secrets filled with weapons/armor/health, or at the very least let me backtrack through levels quickly.

It also makes some other changes but thats the big one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you only use the bookmarks section to check your favorite threads, then you prob. didn't see this: Amid Evil is the Games forum's Game of the Month and as such has a nice sticky thread.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah okay beat DOOM and the final levels are just not very good. The secrets are almost entirely phoned in, the already thin plot has devolved into nonsense ("blow up the AI core to tear open yet another portal to hell" said the robot man...but oh don't worry I kept a backup just in case that only I, the Doom Slayer, know about because reasons), and the encounter design takes a really noticeable step down. Instead of maps becoming more open and more complicated, the exact opposite happens with far more cramped areas that are hard to parse and/or navigate and powerups are so frequent as to make most fights a joke anyway.

The Spider Mastermind fight also sucked and they hosed up the kill in the most obvious way possible (don't have Doomguy pull the trigger, have ME, the player, pull the trigger :argh:). The ending was also the most obvious thing ever and it blows that the Macguffin was set up well in advance and then just became more "see you in the sequel suckerrrrr" material.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 13, 2019

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks all for the recommendations! I'm a longtime console gamer but haven't had a PC that can play current stuff in well over a decade. Really excited to dig into the mod scene again. Plus there's some Doom TCs I've missed out on like 2063 :)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm playing Sunlust on UV and what's annoying me about the map designs is the heavy usage of situations where the player is in a very small arena but with a ton of monsters, which can lead to just getting pinned in a corner and murdered. Variants with a small but dangerous count can work out, like in the lava pit on Gear Up where a column pops up in the middle of the pit and a Revenant/Archvile spawn and you have to do a column dance while managing both of them (or just suck up the Archvile rezzing the Revenant). But then you hit poo poo like the room on Oneira where you have flanking ledges of imps, a Cyberdemon, and Hell Knights on the floor, but the Hell Knights are very difficult to get to infight with the Cyberdemon and Imps without, again, risking getting pinned in a corner and beaten to death.

The author also seems to like the usage of resilient flanking elements in areas with cover (thinking the BFG room in Oneira for example, with the Cyberdemon/Barons at the BFG platform and flanking Hell Knights) which makes it a pain in the rear end to clear the flanking element and secure cover without potentially taking a ton of damage.

The Imp/Chaingunner/Pain Elemental Room at the end of Cave Culture also combined the worst elements of both I think.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Doom4's pacing was thrown to the ground and shot in the back of the head execution style by the totality of its RPG/upgrade mechanics, challenges, runes, and mandatory secret hunts.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

treat posted:

Doom4's pacing was thrown to the ground and shot in the back of the head execution style by the totality of its RPG/upgrade mechanics, challenges, runes, and mandatory secret hunts.

Thank you for reminding me to never, ever 100% video games.

Doom 4 felt fine but I basically just did secret hunts when I felt like it and only did challenges for weapons I used all the time (really, just the shotgun).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The only thing I bother finding on repeat playthroughs in doom 4 are the energy pods for +max whatever. And I guess the rune trials. Both of those are always barely hidden though, and they're the ones that give meaningful rewards.

I do wish I could just start with aerial mobility rune, though.

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: Oh, and the Cyber Demon fight sucked. :cmon: The Hell Guard fight or whatever they're called was a lot better.
The cyber demon was way better than the hell guard, the swipes are fun to dodge and the falling missiles are tricky. Hell guard I felt like I was just circlestrafing and shooting.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I would have liked Doom 2016's challenge stuff if it unlocked gameplay mutators and cheats instead of actually contributing to your game progress. As it is, they can be tedious but they also feel somewhat mandatory since it affects how quickly you can upgrade.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The Kins posted:

You can bait Shamblers in much the same way that you can bait Revenants in Doom 2 - get up close, then step away when they launch into their melee attack animation, then step back once they miss, etc. (The Copper mod makes this less effective by slowly increasing a chance of having the Shambler just zap your rear end instead)

Also, Shamblers only take half-damage from explosives, so use the Super Nailgun or the Thunderbolt where you can.

Oh my god thank you!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you're going to do the melee baiting trick you are obligated to use the super shotgun :madmax:

koren
Sep 7, 2003

haveblue posted:

If you're going to do the melee baiting trick you are obligated to use the super shotgun :madmax:
Axe in quake and punching with berserk pack in doom.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm playing Sunlust on UV and what's annoying me about the map designs is the heavy usage of situations where the player is in a very small arena but with a ton of monsters, which can lead to just getting pinned in a corner and murdered.

[...]

But then you hit poo poo like the room on Oneira where you have flanking ledges of imps, a Cyberdemon, and Hell Knights on the floor, but the Hell Knights are very difficult to get to infight with the Cyberdemon and Imps without, again, risking getting pinned in a corner and beaten to death.

The trick is not to shoot anything, but instead to rub up against the cyberdemon to wake him up and then and lead his rockets into the idle hell knights, removing the threat of projectiles and monsters boxing you in from behind while you take out the cyberdemon & largely ignore the imps. In encounters where everything has its back turned to you, there's a often some leeway for dismantling the worst parts of a trap without firing a shot just by smartly waking up monsters for infighting or to clear an escape route. Almost every encounter in Sunlust, especially in Ribbiks' more strictly controlled maps, has a specific strategy that's reliably repeatable if you can figure out the correct set of steps.

Space control is in my opinion is the most interesting and unique element of Doom's combat. It applies to almost every kind of map, from really tightly balanced puzzle encounters like in sunlust to macro-scale encounters in slaughtermaps and is probably one of the most important skills to develop as a player. It's something players are constantly training, from the more fundamental level of being confident enough to stand your ground against a cluster of revenants and cyberdemons without fleeing out of a room or wildly circlestrafing into the unknown, to the handling of more extreme slaughtermap situations. Shaping larger mobs by simultaneously herding them around like a sheepdog, keeping your movement path and escape routes clear, being wary of snipers from outside of the main brawl and dodging projectiles, while figuring out how to defang an encounter is an absolute joy that you don't really get in other games.

You can also think about the success of doom 2's bestiary in terms of how different enemies constrain how a player interacts and moves around in a given space and how they synergise in different combinations. Hitscan enemies force you to run to cover or use other enemies as cover and viles put a hard limit on a specific moment a player must be standing outside of its line of sight. The classic combination of the revenant and vile works well in my mind because it's the tension between the need to outmanoeuvre a revenant's homing projectile while being constrained in your options by the line of sight of an active vile. It's kind of shocking as to how these modern retro-oriented fps games never come close and end up with the two enemy archetypes of "fiend from quake that charges straight at you" and varieties of "fires projectiles in straight line at player" most of the time.

Doom is quite good, really. Sunlust is one of the better things to come out of it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rocket Pan posted:

Can't say for certain, but while technically viable it's not explicitly expected of the user.

Yeah that’s what I figured. I’ve actually been having a pretty good time figuring my way through each level on Well Done with the “Pitchfork Start” angle. The cultists can be a little bullshitty but since I can’t accumulate an arsenal from level to level, I end up paying more attention to the levels to find secrets and give myself the upper hand in initial fights when you can be super under-armed.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Thanks for updating this again :)

Are the video-related crashes fixed now?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

The Early FPS Megathread - Rub up against the cyberdemon to wake him up

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

manero posted:

The Early FPS Megathread - Rub up against the cyberdemon to wake him up

To defeat the cyberdemon, rub it until it wakes up

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tulip posted:

Thank you for reminding me to never, ever 100% video games.

Doom 4 felt fine but I basically just did secret hunts when I felt like it and only did challenges for weapons I used all the time (really, just the shotgun).

I did 99% of the stuff but by the end I had managed to miss a single lore scrap and needed to farm a handful more kills to get one last weapon upgrade and I just couldn't bring myself to put myself through that nonsense just for two cheevos. :effort:

I don't hate Rune Trials in theory but straight up sucking the player out of the level and through a load screen to go in and then another to go back is just the stupidest loving thing you could do to just take a great big dump on pacing. On top of half of them being boringly easy and the other half being tedious in place of difficult.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

John Murdoch posted:

I did 99% of the stuff but by the end I had managed to miss a single lore scrap and needed to farm a handful more kills to get one last weapon upgrade and I just couldn't bring myself to put myself through that nonsense just for two cheevos. :effort:

I don't hate Rune Trials in theory but straight up sucking the player out of the level and through a load screen to go in and then another to go back is just the stupidest loving thing you could do to just take a great big dump on pacing. On top of half of them being boringly easy and the other half being tedious in place of difficult.

also if you fail a trial and have to redo it, it needs to do the whole loading screen over again because reasons

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Yessssss my children, you are becoming illuminated. You are beginning to see my glorious vision. Soon the world will understand, just as they learned of HL2 and Doom3 before it--that Retard4 too is a bad game!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
All games are bad, we are all going to die, heaven isn't real. Also Plutonia is garbage for idiots

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's actually very good and you can just ignore all the collectibles besides the stuff that is just right there along the way if you aren't the kind of player who enjoys finding them

calling it "Retard4" makes you look like a tool and a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Convex posted:

All games are bad, we are all going to die, heaven isn't real. Also Plutonia is garbage for idiots

:hmmyes:

koren posted:

Space control is in my opinion is the most interesting and unique element of Doom's combat.

my potentially hot take is that this is what I loved most about heretic, specifically the liches who had a decent variety of ways you needed to fight them

And it's also the worst part of hexen: the wendigo being the only major variant on "straight at you" that isn't a boss