Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

el oso posted:

What's the best way to play SH2 these days on PC?

http://www.enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I made it to the final chapter of The Sinking City, if ever there was a game that would be 100% better if it wasn't open world, it's that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cyberdud posted:

New chapter of Visage is out. And it nailed Something Awful thread darling Youtuber John Wolfe pretty good. He's usually pretty resistant to those things. (except in VR)

(Spoiler alert for the best kind of jumpscare)
https://twitter.com/JohnWolfeYT/status/1147662266751492096

And then later in that same video the game decides to stop trying to be scary and just go full comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-roC3wV3DeM&t=2905s

What a way to destroy any and all tension lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The part with the ghost grandpa pulling the knifes from his chest and stabbing you with them is some primo horror imagery.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

New chapter of Visage is out. And it nailed Something Awful thread darling Youtuber John Wolfe pretty good. He's usually pretty resistant to those things. (except in VR)
Wait, I mean, I've seen him mentioned, but do people here actually like the guy? Because, well..

@JohnWolfeYT posted:

Oh my god so many SERIOUS 🧐replies, this is a JOKE

Lighten up, not everything has to be an opportunity to prove to the world you’re “right” lol
lol, yeah, for a guy who literally picked "harshly critical'' for a brand name, the guy is just hilariously poo poo at taking it. As in full "no you shut the up, I'm internet famous and plebs don't get to disagree with me" public meltdown and five minutes of angry ranting in the middle of a recording. Like. the type where you sort where you almost think it just has some kind of joke at his own expense, except he just keep doing it and it's always about the stupidest poo poo. Just, you know, the type of self-important dumbass goons are usually on like white on rice.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 13, 2019

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

He's one of the most acceptable YouTubers. I don't go digging for Twitter drama though

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

As in full "no you shut the up, I'm internet famous and plebs don't get to disagree with me" public meltdown and five minutes of angry ranting in the middle of a recording.

what are you talking about

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it's kind of hard to just not hear it when a guy starts going off on a big angry rant about that one time someone told him in a comment that they disliked the movie avatar and literally says "yeah, well, are you famous for making an internationally succcessful movie that made millions of dollars? No? Then shut the gently caress up, who do you think you are that your opinion matters."

And then you just kind of can't take the guy seriously anymore ever again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

lol, yeah, for a guy who literally picked "harshly critical'' for a brand name, the guy is just hilariously poo poo at taking it. As in full "no you shut the up, I'm internet famous and plebs don't get to disagree with me" public meltdown and five minutes of angry ranting in the middle of a recording. Like. the type where you sort where you almost think it just has some kind of joke at his own expense, except he just keep doing it and it's always about the stupidest poo poo. Just, you know, the type of self-important dumbass goons are usually on like white on rice.

The context of that tweet was him posting about thinking it was funny that rotten tomatoes was saying that lion king is good but then saying lion king isn't good and nobody really caring what RT said, then I guess that thread turned into people arguing over whether it's good or not when all John was doing was just posting a funny pic

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it's kind of hard to just not hear it when a guy starts going off on a big angry rant about that one time someone told him in a comment that they disliked the movie avatar and literally says "yeah, well, are you famous for making an internationally succcessful movie that made millions of dollars? No? Then shut the gently caress up, who do you think you are that your opinion matters."

And then you just kind of can't take the guy seriously anymore ever again.

What?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that was kinda my own reaction, too. I mean, what the hell even?

VVV Hey, I believe you. I'm sure the guy is a perfectly pleasant person to be around for a few hours if you just sort of bump into him somewhere. Really, though, most people are. Right up until you spend enough time around them to actually get to know them. Then all bets are off, though.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 13, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really don't give a poo poo about Twitter drama, especially about something as nonsense as movie reviews. From his videos and a brief meeting I had with him at Pax South, he's a swell guy

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FirstAidKite posted:

And then later in that same video the game decides to stop trying to be scary and just go full comedy

What the gently caress?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

John Wolfe is good because he is willing to poo poo on his lovely fans, and refuses to pretend his followers are his friends.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pathologic 2 is pretty good.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Edit: Oh God I definitely posted in the wrong thread.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 14, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

FirstAidKite posted:

You know, if you wanna be Evil Dead, just start that way.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I wonder what my appliances say about me when I'm not home

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I want to like Visage but it's been very so-so, certainly this chapter. It has some really good, startling horror imagery and certain creepy moments show the developers have an idea what they're doing but (this chapter in particular) there's some really blatant homages to P.T and Silent Hill it's trying to make just for an indulgent reference. Going "oh I remember this when it was in another game" completely removes the immersion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FirstAidKite posted:

That is thousand times more entertaining than another cookie cutter lovely "horror" game that takes place inside a suburban house composed of Unity prefabs. Props to the devs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The problem, as always, is reading the youtube comments and people say some pretty rude poo poo. Kravin gets it worse for being gay and anxious. There was one game Kravin was playing (forgot that name) that literally sits the player in a chair to show them pictures of real dead bodies and then cuts to a picture of John calling him a human being and Kravin just nopes the gently caress out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If it was always as serious as talking kitchenware I might play it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FirstAidKite posted:

Lmao sorry this is pretty tight even if it goes on a little too long. More horror games need intentional comic relief IMO, it's something I don't really remember seeing outside of like occasional "darkly humorous" journal entries laying around and poo poo . It's a good break from scares and it also softens you up for the next one -- it's a trick that movies learned really early on but I'd love to see more games lean into it, even if the execution here isn't great

edit: like basically IMO you have only a few ways to have direct power over the player/viewers reactions . You can TRY to make them feel sad, or make them feel joyful, or make them feel introspective or whatever, but it's not always gonna work and it's not going to work on everyone . Horror games have figured out that you CAN however directly force most people to jump with a well-implemented scare or make them cringe a little with a gory or disturbing image. What I havent seen taken advantage of very often though, is making somebody laugh, which is really powerful and underrated . It's an involuntary physical reaction you can induce in players if you do it right and that in and of itself makes it a really meaningful tool. Again, the implementation here isn't perfect, but yeah props to the devs for going for it

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 14, 2019

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Humor and Horror are easy to intertwine. You can't maintain a good level of tension throughout an entire multi-hour experience like a game, so a little variety is great. Even classics of the genre have goofy moments, like SH2s "killin' a person ain't no big deal" or everything involving Jack in RE7.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Alan Wake's 'flaming eye of Mordor' scene comes to mind. :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Dark Pictures: Man from Medan is up for preoder on Steam, $30 and it's out in 6 weeks. Looks pretty good and since I never got to play Until Dawn I'm excited to try this out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So a heads up on man of medan. It's sounding like it's a 4 hour game but it can do in some wider directions than until dawn did.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ineffiable posted:

So a heads up on man of medan. It's sounding like it's a 4 hour game but it can do in some wider directions than until dawn did.

I really like Until Dawn and Hidden Agenda.

Most people in this thread have probably already played Until Dawn but HA was really fun and handled branching paths quite well.

We've only played through it three times but we have yet to hit the same ending and even the middle bits are different enough that it's been fun. It also had multiplayer built in. Instead of controllers it linked to smart devices. The QTEs were done as a group and as long as one person succeeded you got the well done scene, plus the person who did it first got a veto chip.

Veto chips were used during voting sections. For the choice sections for where the story would go next it was a group vote. If you had a chip you could just say gently caress you and take control of the vote. You could be counter chipped

There was also a pvp mode which I'm a little fuzzy on but everyone had their own goal to pull off and had to sway votes accordingly

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
I like John Wolfe and usually watch his stuff but he does have issues with being "wrong" sometimes and he does say some dumb stuff.

He would probably come across better if he just relaxed about it but yeah reading his YouTube comments probably doesn't help with that at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ineffiable posted:

If it's really high quality, $30 ain't too bad for a 4 hour experience. I don't mind something shorter if it's really well done and if it has a lot of replayability. They also said they want to do a new entry in the series every 6 months so hopefully they can keep to that and we'll be getting two new titles a year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't know how streaming works but don't you have to? Or do the view counts tell you everything you need to know?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

If it's really high quality, $30 ain't too bad for a 4 hour experience. I don't mind something shorter if it's really well done and if it has a lot of replayability. They also said they want to do a new entry in the series every 6 months so hopefully they can keep to that and we'll be getting two new titles a year.
First result on Googling Man of Medan gave me "seven sequels planned," and... well, I've made my opinion on that kind of thing clear before. 30 bucks for four hours isn't much above an equivalent amount of cinema tickets and 28 hours of game would normally be plenty by any measure, but at 7 * 30 = 310 dollars? At least I'm assuming you'll be paying that much every time and that there will ultimately be some kind of connected storyline that requires it.

And you just know know that some people will want the "full experience" and throw out hundreds of dollars on a series that probably would've been published all at once a few years ago, and for a fraction of the price.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Man of Medan is the first game in what the devs call Dark Pictures anthology. I doubt theres any connecting story beyond common themes like in Black Mirror or Love, Death and Robots anthology

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The phrasing in the article I saw made it sound more connected, but fair enough. It wouldn't surprise me if there turns out to be some kind of metaplot you need to Collect Them All in order to follow, though. That's like marketing 101 these days. If a franchise can get away with it at all, they typically at least try.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 16, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

The phrasing in the article I saw made it sound more connected, but fair enough. It wouldn't surprise me if there turns out to be some kind of metaplot you need to Collect Them All in order to follow, though. That's like marketing 101 these days. If a franchise can get away with it at all, they typically at least try.

Remember how at the beginning of the year you were telling everyone that there was only one plotline through RE2 remake and there were no a/b games?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/24/man-of-medan-dark-pictures-anthology-hands-on/

quote:

As the name suggests, The Dark Pictures Anthology isn't a game, but rather a new interactive horror series -- think Tales of the Crypt or The Twilight Zone. Each game within the anthology will be set in the same universe, but entirely self-contained, the intention being that you could play the stories in any order you choose. Supermassive has committed to making four games so far, with three of them actively in development. The first title is Man of Medan, which will be released some time in 2019, and after that the intention is to release a new game every six months.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

Remember how at the beginning of the year you were telling everyone that there was only one plotline through RE2 remake and there were no a/b games?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/24/man-of-medan-dark-pictures-anthology-hands-on/
I'm pretty sure what I said was something to the effect of "it has been reported that Leon and Claire will be less different than they used to and there won't be an immediate relationship like A and B where what you do in one will actually have even just a minor effect on the other." And what do you know, I was completely right. Nothing you do in one scenario affects the other at all and they're practically the same except for some minor differences in the middle. I've played the game for twenty hours now. Loved it to hell, but suprise me it didn't.

Seriously, are you honestly still pissy about that? Because that's sad.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 16, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think people are just tired of your constant doomsaying

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm a big believer in the idea that if you expect the worst, then you either get a pleasant surprise or at least the satisfaction of having been right all along.

What can I say? It tends to work out for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm pretty sure what I said was something to the effect of "it has been reported that Leon and Claire will be less different than they used to and there won't be an immediate relationship like A and B where what you do in one will actually have even just a minor effect on the other." And what do you know, I was completely right. Nothing you do in one scenario affects the other at all and they're practically the same except for some minor differences in the middle. I've played the game for twenty hours now. Loved it to hell, but suprise me it didn't.

Seriously, are you honestly still pissy about that? Because that's sad.

Actually you said

Cardiovorax posted:

supergreatfriend is pretty definite about it that it won't. He quoted something about them deciding to forego it in exchange for making the main campaign a better and more complete experience.

Because a guy who plays videogames for YouTube and doesn't work for Capcom knew what he was talking about

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ferrous posted:

I like John Wolfe and usually watch his stuff but he does have issues with being "wrong" sometimes and he does say some dumb stuff.

He would probably come across better if he just relaxed about it but yeah reading his YouTube comments probably doesn't help with that at all.

There was a part where i was watching his visage thing where he just talked and talked about how the lighter thing was wrong and the way he talked about it was really dismissive, but as someone who's never watched his stuff before I kinda just wanted to turn it off when he did that.

Also good grief man SCREW IN SOME FUCKINGLIGHT BULBS THEY'RE RIGHT THERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

That sounds amaze and I think it’s going to make my wife even happier than me.