Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

not really, I mean, 3.55 GHz at 78W sounds close to what Intel did on 14nm did like four years ago (not even modern 14+++ just the kind of thing a 5960X could have done). Back in the day when TDP actually meant a number that the chip would dissipate when boosting, not when everybody rated chips at baseclocks.

would 100% not be surprised if modern intel chips could do that either, HU rated the 9900K at 4.2 at 95W in a avx1 workload.

Ah yes, the 12 core 5960X 80W under full load "Paul MaudDib" special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arzachel posted:

Ah yes, the 12 core 5960X 80W under full load "Paul MaudDib" special

yeah, I mean, the 5960X at 3.0 GHz was really probably only pulling about 60W. how much do you think a 4690K was pulling at stock? take that number and add 4%.

those were the days when intel would rate a chip to boost to full clocks (which were not very high, granted) at full avx load. You gotta add the fudge factor on pre-coffee lake chips, you're not actually measuring the same thing there.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Avalanche posted:

Built a new rig with a 3900x last night. The clock speeds are really interesting compared to review samples and I'm not exactly sure what's so special about my setup if anything.

My chip can hit 4.65Ghz on 6 of the 12 cores in the default "Creator Mode" on Ryzen Master. With PBO enabled in creator mode, I get all cores to hover around 4.175Ghz under light load with occasional blips up to 4.2-4.65Ghz. I haven't seen anyone report clock speeds of 4.65Ghz yet.

With "Gaming Mode" enabled and PBO enabled which requires a restart, 6 of the 12 cores are straight up disabled/don't show up on monitoring programs after booting into windows. However, 6/6 cores will boost to 4.55Ghz and basically stay there under load.

Is this some kind of golden chip? Or did most reviewers just glance over Gaming Mode with PBO? It would be interesting to see benchmarks of a 3900x with 6 of the cores at 4.55Ghz compared to a 9900k intel chip as most games nowadays barely take advantage of 4 cores.

Do a run of geekbench and post a link to the result, I'd be curious to see the score and what it reports for clocks.

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah, I mean, the 5960X at 3.0 GHz was really probably only pulling about 60W. how much do you think a 4690K was pulling at stock? take that number and add 4%.

those were the days when intel would rate a chip to boost to full clocks (which were not very high, granted) at full avx load. You gotta add the fudge factor on pre-coffee lake chips, you're not actually measuring the same thing there.

"Leerlauf" means idle

e: not to be rude but this is the graph you were looking for:

cinebench is ~150W

eames fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 13, 2019

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

eames posted:

"Leerlauf" means idle

lamo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So has anyone figured out if the timings on 3600 memory matter at all? Because the only memory I can find in stock is cl18, cl16, or one 32gb kit of cl17, and nobody on any kind of budget can afford cl16

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

So has anyone figured out if the timings on 3600 memory matter at all? Because the only memory I can find in stock is cl18, cl16, or one 32gb kit of cl17, and nobody on any kind of budget can afford cl16

Timings matter but if you're on any kind of budget it's not really worth chasing 3600CL16 unless you buy Micron e-die and manually overclock.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

"Leerlauf" means idle

whoops, fair, wrong benchmark.

stock vs stock, we're still only talking 15W more than a 4790K though - outside the case. 152W complete system is 120W inside the case (after PSU efficiency loss) and you lose a couple watts to the motherboard/chipset/etc. It's really probably not far off 90W at stock.

like any chip, Intel benefits heavily from clocking way down. And intel rated those clocks way down. And at full AVX in those days too.

vvv fair, but let's not impugn the reputation of Haswell-E, at moderate clocks it at least matched any process GF could put out pre-7nm. That was the major point of my disagreement here. Stock vs stock, we're talking about 15W over the "completely normal" 4790K chip. For twice the cores. vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 13, 2019

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
So what was the point of posting this? 3900x is a 12 core with a massive IPC lead and undervolted draws significantly less power. You can probably guess how much more efficient it is than your "Intel could totes do this years ago" example.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

whoops, fair, wrong benchmark.

stock vs stock, we're still only talking 15W more than a 4790K though - outside the case. 152W complete system is 120W inside the case (after PSU efficiency loss) and you lose a couple watts to the motherboard/chipset/etc. It's really probably not far off 90W at stock.

like any chip, Intel benefits heavily from clocking way down. And intel rated those clocks way down. And at full AVX in those days too.

It's Cinebench 11.5. Look at the Theoretische Tests header.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arzachel posted:

It's Cinebench 11.5. Look at the Theoretische Tests header.

I thought cinebench 11.5 was the preferred test of the AMD thread?

(if you're going to compare the TDP of pre-AVX2 CPUs you probably don't want CB R20)

vvv yeah, that's kind of the point :v: vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 13, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I thought cinebench 11.5 was the preferred test of the AMD thread?

(if you're going to compare the TDP of pre-AVX2 CPUs you probably don't want CB R20)

Cinebench 11.5 doesn't use AVX instructions :ssh:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
How low does one IQ get to go fanboying Intel by this point

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Palladium posted:

according to rigorous third party tests, about 10% above AMD users :nsa:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Palladium posted:

I don't think Paul's a Intel fanboy, he just sometimes pulls a fishmech. I'm being a jerk and egging him on :v:

The Stilt has a cool chart on perf/W, where he underclocks and uses the built-in voltage curve.

quote:

Some of you might notice that Matisse's power efficiency seems to peak at 3.5GHz, despite the fact that semiconductors do not behave like that. The reason behind this was revealed by Vmin testing, which clearly illustrated that Matisse lacks fused V/F (voltage-frequency) curve below 3.4GHz. This means that below 3.4GHz frequencies the voltage is always at the same level, it is at 3.4GHz. The stock (fused) V/F curve appears to be extremely well optimized as well, leaving only the temperature factor on the table.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ugh, I hate this uncertainty with BIOS and B450 boards. The idea of flashing with a USB stick gives me the heebie jeebies. I could save about £100 and be reassured that I'll have a computer that works by just getting a 2600 and a B450, but it's not like the 2600 will have much resale value.

The X570s are so expensive though...Has anyone here bought one of the cheaper ones? I just want something that works reliably at stock and has decent sound.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I’m obviously missing something here, why are we comparing the power draw of the AMD 12 core part versus a intel 8 core part and then deciding that the 12 core power draw isn’t impressive.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
One DOA motherboard RMA later I am here, browsing internet on my new AMD junk

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Ugh, I hate this uncertainty with BIOS and B450 boards. The idea of flashing with a USB stick gives me the heebie jeebies. I could save about £100 and be reassured that I'll have a computer that works by just getting a 2600 and a B450, but it's not like the 2600 will have much resale value.

The X570s are so expensive though...Has anyone here bought one of the cheaper ones? I just want something that works reliably at stock and has decent sound.

I'm genuinely confused by AMD's decision to release a new major CPU without any low or mid-tier mainboards to put it in. :wtc:

I have no use for a X570 and shops want around 30€ to flash a B450. USB flashing it myself is not an option cause I need an ITX boards. So according to AMD I'm just supposed to wait till fall for them to release mid tier boards? Great company, great job

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

B-Mac posted:

I’m obviously missing something here, why are we comparing the power draw of the AMD 12 core part versus a intel 8 core part and then deciding that the 12 core power draw isn’t impressive.

Paul is just making GBS threads up the thread as usual, pay him no mind.

Chas McGill posted:

The idea of flashing with a USB stick gives me the heebie jeebies.
Hahaha dude USB flashing is miles better than the old way of flashing via floppy. The only thing to worry about is losing power while flashing with one these days.

Chas McGill posted:

Even the 'cheap' X570 mobo's are pretty good build quality and VRM-wise and are overkill for stock clocks. They tend to lack features though.

Opferwurst posted:

I'm genuinely confused by AMD's decision to release a new major CPU without any low or mid-tier mainboards to put it in. :wtc:
That is what X470/B450 mobos are for.

They really should've had B550 ready of course but mid/low tier options do indeed exist.

Opferwurst posted:

USB flashing it myself is not an option cause I need an ITX boards. So according to AMD I'm just supposed to wait till fall for them to release mid tier boards? Great company, great job
Oh well that explains it. Yeah if you want ITX form factor your options are gonna be real limited at best unfortunately.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 13, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Opferwurst posted:

I have no use for a X570 and shops want around 30€ to flash a B450. USB flashing it myself is not an option cause I need an ITX boards. So according to AMD I'm just supposed to wait till fall for them to release mid tier boards? Great company, great job

No, B550 is set for sometime 2020.

If you don't have a friend with a Ryzen CPU to flash your board for a beer and you can't find any shops that will flash a board for free if you buy it from them then you'll just have to wait a couple weeks until pre-flashed B450/X470 boards are available

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Opferwurst posted:

Order a 1600 or whatever from Amazon and send it back after you flashed your board. God bless the 14 day mandatory return period for online purchases.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What's AMD's rush to serve budget buyers? I suspect they predicted their poo poo would be in demand and priced accordingly. If you don't want to pay a premium or risk using new hardware, wait a few months. Maybe buy a 9700k.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The AMD Ryzen undersupply combined with the BIOS headaches is causing some people here in the DC/MD/VA region to go to Microcenter and... buy 9700k and 9900k processors and motherboards instead. Sounds like an AMD launch I guess.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anybody pick up a 5700? I would like to do some light gaming and the $350 mark seems decent.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ratbert90 posted:

Anybody pick up a 5700? I would like to do some light gaming and the $350 mark seems decent.

Unless your doing your light gaming on a higher end monitor I'd get a 1600/ti. That said, only blower 5700s are out so I don't think anyone is buying them, but they should be solid once a proper version is out, if not overshadowed by their bigger sibling.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

Unless your doing your light gaming on a higher end monitor I'd get a 1600/ti. That said, only blower 5700s are out so I don't think anyone is buying them, but they should be solid once a proper version is out, if not overshadowed by their bigger sibling.

I have 4k monitors, and my gaming is done via a VM with GPU passthrough, and Nvidia is a pain in the rear end when it comes to GPU passthrough. But yeah, good idea on waiting for a bit.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
On the topic of pre-flashed B450/X470 boards, MSI's flat out releasing newer boards with a "MAX" suffix that support 3000 series Ryzen out of the box...
The only changes from their original versions is the inclusion of a 32MB BIOS chip instead of 16MB. It turns out that supporting so many goddamned CPUs filled up their 16MB BIOS chip to the point where they had to cut back on features.. like RAID support, and a fancy graphical interface.

I, too, won't be buying anything until I know the board I buy (preferably X470) will work with a 3000 series chip right away. I can wait..

Edit: if AMD had any sense, they'd make BIOS Flashback a REQUIRED feature of all future Ryzen boards

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 13, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

The AMD Ryzen undersupply combined with the BIOS headaches is causing some people here in the DC/MD/VA region to go to Microcenter and... buy 9700k and 9900k processors and motherboards instead. Sounds like an AMD launch I guess.

Truly a slap in the face of GAMERS everywhere.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

HalloKitty posted:

Edit: if AMD had any sense, they'd make BIOS Flashback a REQUIRED feature of all future Ryzen boards

I half expect AM5 to have either this or a more elegant solution. It shouldn't be that hard to engineer, say, a common bit of silicon in each version of AM5's consumer IO chipsets that can handle bios flashing.

OTOH AMD gon AMD.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

K8.0 posted:

I half expect AM5 to have either this or a more elegant solution. It shouldn't be that hard to engineer, say, a common bit of silicon in each version of AM5's consumer IO chipsets that can handle bios flashing.

OTOH AMD gon AMD.

well they would have to actually be making a chipset and not repurposing their IO dies like X570 :v:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cygni posted:

well they would have to actually be making a chipset and not repurposing their IO dies like X570 :v:

That would require an expensive new asic. Not worth it unless you're intel and can make the money back

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd love to know why Frys isn't carrying these things

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Gamers nexus doin a live LN 3900x thingamabox right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCttTHFSwU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone probably bought them out and now Frys sells essential oils.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe they'll carry some by the time everyone else gets their stock

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Looking like 5700's have lots of potential for OC'ing. Can't wait for custom cards next month.
In the meanwhile I'm putting my build together later this evening. Using an RX580 from scavenged from my old computer.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
My 3700x + 450 Tomahawk build was a success, everything worked first try like a charm. The voltage of the CPU seems extremely high though, 1.5v almost with virtually no load.

Seems like a common problem with the new Ryzens, hopefully a BIOS update can tone it down to a more normal level, be careful for anyone trying to OC depending on your board you may be unstable very quickly. I'm not going to touch the stock settings myself until MSI releases at least 1 future BIOS revision.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Scorps posted:

My 3700x + 450 Tomahawk build was a success, everything worked first try like a charm. The voltage of the CPU seems extremely high though, 1.5v almost with virtually no load.

Seems like a common problem with the new Ryzens, hopefully a BIOS update can tone it down to a more normal level, be careful for anyone trying to OC depending on your board you may be unstable very quickly. I'm not going to touch the stock settings myself until MSI releases at least 1 future BIOS revision.

Awesome to hear it’s working for you. I had to pull my 3600 from my Asus b450and put the 2600X back in because the system was really wonky, sometimes it would work and sometimes it would poo poo it self. Im hoping another bios update will fix it. As for the voltage did you install the newest AMD chipset drivers from the AMD website and are you using the ryzen balanced plan?

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Re: idle voltages.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Does the problem persist with cpu-z, with no other apps monitoring the voltage?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 14, 2019