Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Warren's plan includes:

* Migrants who enter the US without papers would still be considered criminals
* Keeping ICE
* No promise of a pathway to citizenship using executive order (putting her to the right of even Harris)
* Increased DEA funding in South America
* Increased ad campaign spending to tell migrants not to try to come to the USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Warren's plan includes:

* Migrants who enter the US without papers would still be considered criminals
* Keeping ICE
* No promise of a pathway to citizenship using executive order (putting her to the right of even Harris)
* Increased DEA funding in South America
* Increased ad campaign spending to tell migrants not to try to come to the USA

Uh, seriously, say what you will about Warren, but portrayals like this have gotta be intentionally disingenuous. The alternative is something else altogether.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
warren plan includes bonus points on your application for citizenship scorecard as well as a generous (6 month) fast tracking of your application.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

warren will make ICE eco-friendly just like her plan to fix the military

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

generic one posted:

Uh, seriously, say what you will about Warren, but portrayals like this have gotta be intentionally disingenuous. The alternative is something else altogether.

I mean no, those are all actual elements of her plan. Her plan does a lot of “good” stuff, a lot of reverting to Obama norms.

But when Warren is acting like she’s going to grant citizenship to all undocumented immigrants these conservative caveats to her plan stand out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Gyges posted:

It would be nice if polls that ask respondents how closely they pay attention to politics, or how informed they are, followed up with general questions of fact to then gauge the quality of the respondents information.

I mean, I know someone who follows politics and the news very closely, but they do so through absolute garbage sources. I also know someone who thinks they are highly informed about politics because political news is currently highly pervasive in the culture. Neither one knows dick, but would respond to a question about how closely they're following things with "very".
Polls used to do exactly this! These are called “filter questions”. Of course, using filter questions tends to yield a smaller sample and less sensational results, so polling firms don’t do this anymore, because integrity is hard and gently caress it, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Polls used to do exactly this! These are called “filter questions”. Of course, using filter questions tends to yield a smaller sample and less sensational results, so polling firms don’t do this anymore, because integrity is hard and gently caress it, right?

Well what use is knowing the opinion of the educated 10% rather than the electorate at large?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Well what use is knowing the opinion of the educated 10% rather than the electorate at large?
Because those people are a, more politically engaged and influential (ie more likely to actually vote!) and b, people who are not engaged and less educated are far more likely to just make poo poo up, often based on the question wording and/or what they think the administrator “wants,” which gives you useless data. One study polled people about a fictitious issue and most people gave an answer even when presented with “don’t know” as an option. Even when they are reporting a position they’ve thought out to some extent, those positions are not durable and therefore not especially useful.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean no, those are all actual elements of her plan. Her plan does a lot of “good” stuff, a lot of reverting to Obama norms.

But when Warren is acting like she’s going to grant citizenship to all undocumented immigrants these conservative caveats to her plan stand out.

Let’s use your first bullet point as an example:

quote:

Migrants who enter the US without papers would still be considered criminals

That’s disingenuous because her plan calls for eliminating criminal penalties for crossing the border, and just leaving the civil penalty in place, which is pretty much the same thing that every progressive candidate has in their platform.

You see what I’m saying, right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Phone posted:

warren plan includes bonus points on your application for citizenship scorecard as well as a generous (6 month) fast tracking of your application.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/452954-warren-pledges-to-create-commission-to-investigate-crimes-committed-by-the

quote:

“On my first day, I will empower a commission in the Department of Justice to investigate crimes committed by the United States against immigrants,” she said at the progressive Netroots Nation conference.

Warren accused President Trump of looking the other way at abuse, but said she will not do so.

“To anyone out there who’s working in this system, understand you abuse immigrants, you physically abuse immigrants, you sexually abuse immigrants, you fail to get them medical care that they need, you break the law of the United States of America and Donald Trump may be willing to look the other way, but President Elizabeth Warren will not,” she said.

This isn't exactly heavy on details but I don't think I've heard anyone else saying they'd prosecute ICE officers

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Because those people are a, more politically engaged and influential (ie more likely to actually vote!) and b, people who are not engaged and less educated are far more likely to just make poo poo up, often based on the question wording and/or what they think the administrator “wants,” which gives you useless data. One study polled people about a fictitious issue and most people gave an answer even when presented with “don’t know” as an option. Even when they are reporting a position they’ve thought out to some extent, those positions are not durable and therefore not especially useful.

Either they should follow expert advice and then the poll is the wrong tool or they want to know public opinion as undereducated as it may be.

The idea that asking filtering questions is effective anymore is disproven so effectively by the recent Sierra Club poll that did use filtering questions, except half the population declared themselves climate focused voters.

So Joe Biden is the pick of “climate change voters” was the headline because filter questions like that don’t work for general topic polling like this.

generic one posted:

Let’s use your first bullet point as an example:

That’s disingenuous because her plan calls for eliminating criminal penalties for crossing the border, and just leaving the civil penalty in place, which is pretty much the same thing that every progressive candidate has in their platform.

You see what I’m saying, right?

It isn’t disingenuous because it is still a true statement. Under Warren’s best plan they’re still treated like criminals and they’re still subject to deportation hearings. That’s also basically a plagiarized line from the Vox coverage of her plan.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 14, 2019

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

It isn’t disingenuous because it is still a true statement. Under Warren’s best plan they’re still treated like criminals and they’re still subject to deportation hearings. That’s also basically a plagiarized line from the Vox coverage of her plan.

I’m not sure that’s how I’d interpret this part of her platform, but you do you.

quote:

Entering the country without authorization has always been a violation of civil immigration law, but thanks to a former segregationist Senator, it’s also a criminal violation. This additional criminal provision is totally unnecessary for border security, and for a century, it was rarely enforced. But since the early 2000s, it has been used to build and sustain a massive immigration detention complex

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

generic one posted:

I’m not sure that’s how I’d interpret this part of her platform, but you do you.

Right, that part says they’ll still be treated as people who have violated the law. Just with civil penalties like deportation.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Warren's plan isn't necessarily bad, but it's worse than Bernie's. Not a lot of detail on either, but Bernie also mentions DAPA in addition to DACA.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Right, that part says they’ll still be treated as people who have violated the law. Just with civil penalties like deportation.

Lemme ask you this: Do you understand that there is a difference between a criminal and a civil offense?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

generic one posted:

Lemme ask you this: Do you understand that there is a difference between a criminal and a civil offense?
Are you contending that people that have committed a civil offense aren't currently treated like criminals? Like if you get caught speeding you need to pay a fine or show up in court, and failure to do either leads to warrants and arrests. US immigration policy should have the goal of documenting people, not punishing people for being undocumented.
edit:
Like I would understand an argument of "It is good that undocumented migrants are forced to interact with court systems" (though it would be wrong), but not "Being forced to interact with a court system is not being treated like a criminal, because we invented a special court system we have named 'civil' and the words 'civil' and 'criminal' have different letters in them"

twodot fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 14, 2019

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

Are you contending that people that have committed a civil offense aren't currently treated like criminals?

The only contention I’m making there is that there’s a clear difference between a criminal and a civil offense. Under our current administration, folks who cross the border are charged with criminal offenses, which means jails and fines and an indifferent (at the least) justice system.

If crossing the border is decriminalized, and only results in a civil offense, it’s an entirely different picture.

Decriminalization of crossing the border is something that’s in every progressive platform. Warren’s is one of those. I suggested it was disingenuous to say she would continue prosecuting crossing the border as a criminal offense.

Bernie’s said the same thing, so has Castro, so has... well, Harris? Booker?

Maybe a couple of others.

generic one fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 14, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

generic one posted:

Sure. But to bring it back to what started this whole topic of conversation, there's a significant difference between "legalize 11 million" and "revert illegal immigration to being a civil offense rather than a criminal one" - a difference that she apparently doesn't see.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

generic one posted:

The only contention I’m making there is that there’s a clear difference between a criminal and a civil offense.
Sure, this is true, but the post you replied to said this:

Trabisnikof posted:

It isn’t disingenuous because it is still a true statement. Under Warren’s best plan they’re still treated like criminals
Civil offenders can be treated like criminals while there exists a clear legal difference between a civil and criminal offense. Like apples and oranges are very clearly different, but I mostly treat them the same. Asserting a legal distinction exists doesn't do anything to address the treatment of actual people which is what the post was about.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh, I don't want them filtered out. They're still people at least marginally engaged and somewhat likely to vote. I just want a follow up breakdown where we find out that X% of those who self report as closely following politics, or whatever, can/cant answer simple questions of fact and Y% of those who don't self report as such can/can't.

All the other categories, other than liberal/conservative, that voters are broken down into in these polls have some level of quantitative basis. Men think this, Rich people think this, High School only educated think this. But the segment of voters who make up the closely following/highly informed/whatever grouping is subjective as gently caress. Which is a problem, because the entire point of the question is to try and differentiate people who are like us and really paying attention and those who catch a soundbite or two on the TV when they're eating lunch at Zaxby's.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure. But to bring it back to what started this whole topic of conversation, there's a significant difference between "legalize 11 million" and "revert illegal immigration to being a civil offense rather than a criminal one" - a difference that she apparently doesn't see.

I mean, kinda? I told Trabisnikof that they’d posted a lot of that platform disingenuously, and that I was just gonna use that first bullet point as an example of how their loose interpretation was either blatant lying or just a lack of comprehension. Those are clearly two separate issues.

twodot posted:

Sure, this is true, but the post you replied to said this:

Civil offenders can be treated like criminals while there exists a clear legal difference between a civil and criminal offense. Like apples and oranges are very clearly different, but I mostly treat them the same. Asserting a legal distinction exists doesn't do anything to address the treatment of actual people which is what the post was about.

When we’re talking about decriminalization of crossing the border, I think we need to be really clear about what that means. Section 1325 is what Sanders, Castro, Warren, Harris, and even (to my surprise) Mayor Pete have supported repealing. Doing away with that poo poo would be a decent step in the right direction, at the very least.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

generic one posted:

When we’re talking about decriminalization of crossing the border, I think we need to be really clear about what that means. Section 1325 is what Sanders, Castro, Warren, Harris, and even (to my surprise) Mayor Pete have supported repealing. Doing away with that poo poo would be a decent step in the right direction, at the very least.
Absolutely, we should be very clear that civil offenders are treated like criminals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

generic one posted:

I mean, kinda? I told Trabisnikof that they’d posted a lot of that platform disingenuously, and that I was just gonna use that first bullet point as an example of how their loose interpretation was either blatant lying or just a lack of comprehension. Those are clearly two separate issues.

And you're wrong.

From Vox's coverage of the Warren plan:

quote:

Here’s a breakdown of what Warren is calling for:

Enforcement
At the forefront is a push to make illegal entry and reentry after deportation into the United States a civil offense, not a criminal one — reversing a law that has been on the books for decades but that was rarely enforced until the George W. Bush administration, when criminal prosecution of unauthorized immigrants for illegal entry became increasingly common. It’s a position Castro first adopted and then pushed other Democratic 2020 candidates to endorse as well.
Migrants who enter the US without papers would still be committing a crime, and they could still be deported. But as Dara Lind explained for Vox earlier this year, making crossing the border without papers a civil offense would have big ramifications, including ending the practice of family separation. “The Trump administration’s attempts at ‘zero tolerance’ prosecution of illegal entry were the legal basis for its widespread separation of families in 2018: Children were separated because their parents were being transferred to criminal custody for prosecution,” Lind writes.

(https://www.vox.com/2019/7/12/20690200/elizabeth-warren-immigration-proposal-2020)

Now are you going to accuse Vice of lying or lack of comprehension too?

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

Absolutely, we should be very clear that civil offenders are treated like criminals.

Yes, please, continue being an obtuse doorstop. That’ll absolutely allow for objective conversation without extremes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i don't think any candidate has come out in support of banning deportations, the correct platform

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Now are you going to accuse Vice of lying or lack of comprehension too?

It says right there in the section you quoted that only making it a civil offense would be an improvement, you dolt.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

generic one posted:

It says right there in the section you quoted that only making it a civil offense would be an improvement, you dolt.

And you said I was a liar because I correctly stated they would still be charged with a crime and treated like a criminal.

Your position here is getting more and more absurd.

edit: I get it it is "lying" if I say a bad thing about Warren's plans without also saying all the good things about it too.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

generic one posted:

Yes, please, continue being an obtuse doorstop. That’ll absolutely allow for objective conversation without extremes.
The whole contention is whether people will be treated like criminals, if you insist on lasering on minutiae that has nothing to do with how people will be treated, you're the one being obtuse regarding what the actual conversation is.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

twodot posted:

The whole contention is whether people will be treated like criminals, if you insist on lasering on minutiae that has nothing to do with how people will be treated, you're the one being obtuse regarding what the actual conversation is.

Trivial minutiae like “whether something is a crime or not.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

twodot posted:

There's a lot of points of contention, because there are a lot of lovely things about US immigration policy and treatment of immigrants. When someone zeroes in on just one particular detail - be it "children in cages", "path to citizenship", or "civil lawbreaking vs criminal lawbreaking" - it's usually as a way to avoid talking about the larger issues.

For example, Section 1325 certainly isn't great, but it played no role in whatsoever in some of our biggest abuses of immigrants, such as the mass deportations of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans in the 1930s and the 1950s, and getting rid of it won't stop Trump from mass-deporting people simply for being here illegally.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

i don't think any candidate has come out in support of banning deportations, the correct platform

Bernie's been using his mailing list to warn people in danger of being deported; while I'd like for him to outright say that he'll ban deportations, I think we can suss out his position pretty clearly from his actions.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
So her plan isn't then, as she represented herself to those protestors, to legalize immigration but to instead make minor changes to restore the white supremacist status quo to "good working order" as she sees it. No thanks. She's not a former Republican, she's a current Republican.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Ogmius815 posted:

It's just "whether a candidate means what she says" :rolleye:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

If something isn't a crime, but the people who do the something wind up being treated like criminals, then whether or not something is a crime is indeed trivial minutiae for the purpose of discussing whether people who do the something wind up being treated like criminals.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Majorian posted:

Bernie's been using his mailing list to warn people in danger of being deported; while I'd like for him to outright say that he'll ban deportations, I think we can suss out his position pretty clearly from his actions.

given sanders' has a long record of saying we need immigration controls in order to protect american workers and social programs im not really ready to suss out that he's secretly Candidate Open Borders

do think its great for his campaign to be helping people like that though

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

twodot posted:

If something isn't a crime, but the people who do the something wind up being treated like criminals, then whether or not something is a crime is indeed trivial minutiae for the purpose of discussing whether people who do the something wind up being treated like criminals.

Well, people aren’t generally locked in cages awaiting civil hearings. They generally aren’t separated from their children pending the outcome of civil enforcement actions. The existence of the crime has had real practical and legal consequences for immigrants and you’re coming off as ignorant of that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Well, people aren’t generally locked in cages awaiting civil hearings. They generally aren’t separated from their children pending the outcome of civil enforcement actions. The existence of the crime has had real practical and legal consequences for immigrants and you’re coming off as ignorant of that.
The question isn't "Does this have consequences?" it's "Are civil offenders treated like criminals?" and civil offenders are forcibly subjected to court systems, and legal consequences for their actions that violate government code, so if your contention that isn't being treated like a criminal because they don't have pre-trial detention (despite literal criminals having bail!?) then make it, but at least engage with the actual conversation.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

twodot posted:

The question isn't "Does this have consequences?" it's "Are civil offenders treated like criminals?" and civil offenders are forcibly subjected to court systems, and legal consequences for their actions that violate government code, so if your contention that isn't being treated like a criminal because they don't have pre-trial detention (despite literal criminals having bail!?) then make it, but at least engage with the actual conversation.

Personally, I’m fine with having a completely open border and letting anyone come who wants to, subject to basic security checks (I had that opinion long before the self-righteous left did, by the way; I vividly recall when Hillary Clinton was pilloried by Bernie supporters for momentarily seeming to call for open borders). However, there isn’t really much constituency for that policy. I think there are middle ground policies that allow for some border enforcement and immigration control without the disgusting human rights abuses that are presently occurring. A good first step would be to decriminalize border crossing (which would end the camps and the family separations). A good second step would be to loosen up the asylum rules so that it can granted to more people. A good third step would be to expand the number of immigrants that can legally come to the us. There are probably other good steps to take after that too short of open borders.

But while there are still immigration restrictions, some people will be “exposed” to the court system. That’s how it works.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Personally, I’m fine with having a completely open border and letting anyone come who wants to, subject to basic security checks (I had that opinion long before the self-righteous left did, by the way; I vividly recall when Hillary Clinton was pilloried by Bernie supporters for calling for open borders). However, there isn’t really much constituency for that policy. I think there are middle ground policies that allow for some border enforcement and immigration control without the disgusting human rights abuses that are presently occurring. A good first step would be to decriminalize border crossing (which would end the camps and the family separations). A good second step would be to loosen up the asylum rules so that it can granted to more people. A good third step would be to expand the number of immigrants that can legally come to the us. There are probably other good steps to take after that too short of open borders.

But while there are still immigration restrictions, some people will be “exposed” to the court system. That’s how it works.

Wait, what? Bernie attacked Hillary because she was for open borders? What kind of dumbass nonsense is this?

I mean, here's what actually happened on their debate on immigration:

https://time.com/4218850/democratic-debate-bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-central-america-unaccompanied-minors/

Not to mention that as the sole member of the Congressional progressive caucus in the Senate, Bernie was a signatory of fix96 in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Wait, what? Bernie attacked Hillary because she was for open borders? What kind of dumbass nonsense is this?

I mean, here's what actually happened on their debate on immigration:

https://time.com/4218850/democratic-debate-bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-central-america-unaccompanied-minors/

Not to mention that as the sole member of the Congressional progressive caucus in the Senate, Bernie was a signatory of fix96 in 2016.

I edited that because she didn’t actually call for open borders. She said something that sounded a bit like calling for open borders, and then a bunch of Bernie people freaked out because in 2016 protectionism was in vogue on the left.