Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Which setup wizard are you using? What port on the erx do you have connected to the modem?

You may want to make sure hardware offload is enabled https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading

basic setup, whichever the router suggests/top of the wizards list.

eth0 is wan and it does get an ip from the modem, but just veryyy slow or non functional. And by very slow I mean under 1mbps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

I moved the AP's to a different SSID and seemed to still be getting the same issue in mobile safari. Could the main router having both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands on the same SSID (with no band steering) be a problem?

Just to verify, when you said that each AP is on a different channel, you are using non-overlapping channels, right? (1, 6, and 11 on 2.4ghz, 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161 for 5ghz.)

If you want to see if it's just one band having the problem, having different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz would allow you to test that.

Do you have any other devices that might also be using 2.4ghz? Baby monitors, cordless phones, etc? Or a particularly old microwave?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Oovee posted:

basic setup, whichever the router suggests/top of the wizards list.

eth0 is wan and it does get an ip from the modem, but just veryyy slow or non functional. And by very slow I mean under 1mbps.

Have you upgraded to the latest 1.9.10 (including down from 2.x) because that's apparently a thing you have to do in 2019?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

H110Hawk posted:

Have you upgraded to the latest 1.9.10 (including down from 2.x) because that's apparently a thing you have to do in 2019?

Im at 2.* something, should I roll back to 1.9.1 then?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Oovee posted:

Im at 2.* something, should I roll back to 1.9.1 then?

Yes. Apparently "everyone knows this" but technology is awful garbage. (I had several people tell me this when I bought mine. But if you looked at the ubiquiti website you would never know it, nor should you have to.)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Just to verify, when you said that each AP is on a different channel, you are using non-overlapping channels, right? (1, 6, and 11 on 2.4ghz, 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161 for 5ghz.)

If you want to see if it's just one band having the problem, having different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz would allow you to test that.

Do you have any other devices that might also be using 2.4ghz? Baby monitors, cordless phones, etc? Or a particularly old microwave?

Yes, non-overlapping. No other 2.4 devices I can think of, the microwave isn't particularly old. I'm going to try putting an AP where the router is now and turning off its wifi to see if that solves it.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

H110Hawk posted:

Yes. Apparently "everyone knows this" but technology is awful garbage. (I had several people tell me this when I bought mine. But if you looked at the ubiquiti website you would never know it, nor should you have to.)

Downgrade to 1.9.1 worked, hooray and thank you.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I may buy TP-LINK Archer C7 but how is it to configure? I mean is its interface smooth and not crashy unlike some old routers I've touched?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Sininu posted:

I may buy TP-LINK Archer C7 but how is it to configure? I mean is its interface smooth and not crashy unlike some old routers I've touched?

I ended up getting a renewed C2300 for $70 just to future proof my purchase but an A9/C9 or A7/C7 would have been fine. Speeds are fine but not any better than an AC1750 device. I love the interface though. Easy and snappy. You’ll like it.

I’m fine with my purchase even if I am still going to get an ER-X at some point.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lambert posted:

Connect the NAS, computer and router to the switch - that way, Gigabit-capable devices can talk to each other at Gigabit speeds.

Really? This is the best news ever. I thought it was going to be a case of weakest link in the chain slows everything. Thanks!

Edit: I know that is technically still the case as the switch is the chain and everything else is branching off it, but that wasn't the outcome I was initially thinking it would be.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 4, 2019

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
That's WiFi where it's literally weakest common denominator.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Oovee posted:

Downgrade to 1.9.1 worked, hooray and thank you.

:toot:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
My folks needed wireless in their new house, so I bought them the AC1900 router from the OP. Since they're across the country, my sister tried setting up the router for them, but it's not working. Internet through the modem itself works fine, but not through the router. She sent me the following pic during setup; I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to networking and haven't ever dealt with this problem before. Any recommendations on why the router isn't getting an IP?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Starting from the basics, make sure that the Ethernet cable going from the modem to the router is plugged specifically into the 'internet' port on the router and not the other ports.

I want to say something about hooking it all up and then rebooting the modem but I'm not sure where I'm getting that from and not actually home to test.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Garrand posted:

Starting from the basics, make sure that the Ethernet cable going from the modem to the router is plugged specifically into the 'internet' port on the router and not the other ports.

I want to say something about hooking it all up and then rebooting the modem but I'm not sure where I'm getting that from and not actually home to test.

Yeah the latter is a thing, some modems will only talk to one MAC address and you have to power cycle or reboot them to get them to talk to another one (a router vs. say, a computer plugged directly into the modem).

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Garrand posted:

I had my sister double check the cable connections first thing, and she's done some permutations of booting the devices in order. She also tried doing it the way Spectrum advised, they had some suggested specific order.

The router brand shouldn't be an issue right? I know ISPs limit the models of modem that they will support, but I didn't think router brand should matter.

Rexxed posted:

Yeah the latter is a thing, some modems will only talk to one MAC address and you have to power cycle or reboot them to get them to talk to another one (a router vs. say, a computer plugged directly into the modem).

I'll double check that she's tried specifically rebooting the modem after connecting the router.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I would bet the modem has a sticky mac thing.

Verify modem goes to wan/internet port on the router. Unplug power to modem, plug back in.

If that doesn't do it call the ISP and ask for a modem reset.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If it's a sticky MAC thing, you could also simply have her enter the MAC address of the previously connected device in the WAN settings of that router (MAC address spoofing). Probably easier than calling the ISP.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Also if it's a modem that also does voip, you might need to use a pin to hit the reset button because power cycling doesn't work since those modems often have batteries that keep them on.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Turning off the router's wifi and replacing it with an access point seems to have resolved my issue. Now that I've got it up and running I'm quite happy with TP-LINK's access point offerings. I got two indoor AC1750 and one outdoor AC1200 AP's for just over $250.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I live in an apartment, and I need a router because I'm switching ISPs soon, The TP-LINK Archer C7 is on sale and it fits close to my basic needs.

needs: at least two wired connections to my ps4/desktop. being able to support multiple devices on top of that which includes a laptop, a tablet, 2 phones. at most my consumption will probably be streaming something in 1080p and playing games on my PC while also downloading any updates to my PS4.

how fast do routers get updated? is there a need to future proof routers? or do they come out with models enough where i should just buy the features i need now then get what i need in 3 years if/when i move into a house?

the Archer C9 is almost $40 more right now and has some nice things: beamforming, the usb3 port, and the faster wifi speed/processor. but not sure if i should splurge on that if that is probably not going to come to much use at the moment. and it seems like setting up a wireless distributed network is the goto when you have a place as big as a house? i think my mind is made up on getting the C7 given those reasons but seeing if that's a reasonable assumption.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

I live in an apartment, and I need a router because I'm switching ISPs soon, The TP-LINK Archer C7 is on sale and it fits close to my basic needs.

needs: at least two wired connections to my ps4/desktop. being able to support multiple devices on top of that which includes a laptop, a tablet, 2 phones. at most my consumption will probably be streaming something in 1080p and playing games on my PC while also downloading any updates to my PS4.

how fast do routers get updated? is there a need to future proof routers? or do they come out with models enough where i should just buy the features i need now then get what i need in 3 years if/when i move into a house?

the Archer C9 is almost $40 more right now and has some nice things: beamforming, the usb3 port, and the faster wifi speed/processor. but not sure if i should splurge on that if that is probably not going to come to much use at the moment. and it seems like setting up a wireless distributed network is the goto when you have a place as big as a house? i think my mind is made up on getting the C7 given those reasons but seeing if that's a reasonable assumption.

I think the C7 was replaced by the A7. I had a C7 and it was fine for about a year, and then the 5GHz wifi network would keep dropping untill I reset the router. If you mean updated as in newer/faster wired standards, most routers have been gigabit internet forever and there has been a lot of stagnation on going to a faster wirespeed for home use. Moving up to 2.5/5/10 gigabit routing gets pretty expensive. If you mean faster wifi standards, also not super fast. 802.11ac is the current standard, but 802.11ax is being finalized. Those are a bit of a fudgy thing though, because your hardware has to support the standard to take advantage of the updates. Most stuff is at least ac in some form, but pretty much nothing is ax right now. They are trying to make this a little less nebulous by using nice terms instead of IEEE codes. So 802.11ac is Wifi5, and 802.11ax is Wifi6. Guarantee most of your stuff is Wifi5, which the C7 is.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 9, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey yall, I'm having a pretty weird problem. We recently got gigabit internet and all was well for a few weeks. Without warning, our Nighthawk wifi broke.

That was ok, I switched over to the ATT provided router which actually has great wifi, surprisingly. The reach and speed rivals the Nighthawk.

The problem is that the wifi will hang about 50% of the time when requesting, for example, a new webpage/google search. It always eventually goes through but it can take between 3-10 seconds for the web page to resolve. It's not a game breaking issue but it's pretty annoying, especially when you are on gigabit that stuff just shouldn't be happening. And the devices connected through CAT5 are lightning fast and don't exhibit this problem at all.

This has been an issue on my iphone XS and iPad Pro, just to give yall an idea of the devices I'm using. Any ideas?

e: I should mention that this is not a range issue. It happens even when you're right next to the router on a wireless device.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 12, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What DNS servers is the ATT router handing out? What were you using with the nighthawk?

I bet ATT has their servers in there which are not great. Change the DHCP scope to pass out 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What Moey said, never use ATT DNS. Its utter trash.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oooh right the DNS servers. I think I actually did use those values on the Nighthawk (iirc that's the Google DNS?)

ATT doesn't let you change the DNS on the router, but my devices allow me to do so. After switching the DNS and testing it for a few minutes, it seems to be totally solved. Lightning fast. Thank you for your help and you as well GIR!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

8.8.8.8 is indeed google dns. You could also use 1.1.1.1 which is cloud flair and apparently the new hotness.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Maybe it's better, but the AT&T router works really well for a smaller number of wireless clients. After 10 it starts getting cranky. If that doesn't apply to you, you should be fine, but years ago I had to disable the wifi and use an access point to handle all the traffic and that situation was rock solid for years.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

KKKLIP ART posted:

8.8.8.8 is indeed google dns. You could also use 1.1.1.1 which is cloud flair and apparently the new hotness.

Quad9 (9.9.9.9) is also good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Maybe it's better, but the AT&T router works really well for a smaller number of wireless clients. After 10 it starts getting cranky. If that doesn't apply to you, you should be fine, but years ago I had to disable the wifi and use an access point to handle all the traffic and that situation was rock solid for years.

Holy crap, is that the same bug that affected OpenWRT/Asus routers for a while?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but are there any definitive guides for both attaching a FQDN to OpenVPN Access Server and getting an SSL set up on it? I currently have OpenVPN Access Server running on Debian 9

My google-fu here is not helping me much. The official docs explain how to set up SSL, but not much about DNS steps. To be clear, I'm familiar with how to do this on a normal web server (setting up Nginx and creating domain records), but I'm not sure if this is a different process.

https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resources/installing-a-valid-ssl-web-certificate-in-access-server/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I don't have experience with this particular software, but I can take a stab at it.

From the guide you linked, it sounds like you don't actually specify the FQDN in the application itself, only in the certificate and your DNS record. As long as your DNS is set up to point lookups for vpn.yourdomain.tld to <ip of server/A record> and have a trusted cert installed, you should be good.

e. I deployed the access server on my lab and you can set the Hostname under Network Settings to the FQDN.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 13, 2019

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ubiquiti question: if I am installing 2 APs at a location, other than using the app for initial setup, do I need a controller running to make the fun mesh stuff work?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

Ubiquiti question: if I am installing 2 APs at a location, other than using the app for initial setup, do I need a controller running to make the fun mesh stuff work?

You need a controller running only if you use a captive portal, otherwise the uaps will run fine without the controller. You lose all data about clients, logs, etc.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah I don’t care about all that Jazz, I just want 2 overlapping for coverage and thought you needed the controller for that for some reason

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What’s the term for the type of fiber-optic cable that goes from a fiber TP to a fiber ONT? My last house had a cable running to the phone box but this one has a wall bump with a jack for the cable. I want to make sure I get the right kind.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What’s the term for the type of fiber-optic cable that goes from a fiber TP to a fiber ONT? My last house had a cable running to the phone box but this one has a wall bump with a jack for the cable. I want to make sure I get the right kind.

There are many different types of optical cable connectors. Can you post a picture?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's a "TP"?

As the other person said there are a lot of different standards here and we want to make sure we're not talking past each other. I'm surprised you even need a fiber jumper for residential fiber.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Termination point. Turns out it’s a SC simplex fiber optic cable, so I’m going to have to wait until Monday for the office to open back up and hopefully they can get me a new one without charging me hundreds of dollars :smith: Even Microcenter only has the duplex.

The last house I was at had the cable running from up in the walls, this one has a little panel on the wall to put the cable in. And I don’t have the cable, so welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Termination point. Turns out it’s a SC simplex fiber optic cable, so I’m going to have to wait until Monday for the office to open back up and hopefully they can get me a new one without charging me hundreds of dollars :smith: Even Microcenter only has the duplex.

The last house I was at had the cable running from up in the walls, this one has a little panel on the wall to put the cable in. And I don’t have the cable, so welp.

Duplex is just two simplex and a plastic clip. Remove the clip.

You also need to know multimode vs singlemode. Though for your distance it probably doesn't matter. Google the wavelength (1310nm = singlemode fiber /smf).

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 14, 2019