Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Tamarind is what they use in South Indian curries where North India would use lemon juice. That's pretty much all I know, but I've succesfully used several jars of tamarind following that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Tamarind is used in all sorts of stuff. One easy way to use up a lot is to make a chutney, like this or this. Tamarind is also a key ingredient in sambhar. As for Thai food, though, I always make my own Thai curries. Usually I use the recipes from Bhumichitr's Thai Vegetarian Cooking, but there are also good recipes in McDermott's Real Vegetarian Thai. If for whatever reason you want to buy pastes, I have heard that most (or all) of Thai Kitchen pastes are vegan.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
A lot of Malaysian food uses tamarind, but I have only ever seen it in seafood dishes.

Made a stirfry tonight

Veges are diced onion, carrot and wombok with seitan, flavoured with black bean, garlic, rice wine and finished with sesame oil.

Quick and tasty, love me some black beans.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the tips, y'all. I've been making dino.'s daal for years as a regular part of my rotation, but for whatever reason (laziness) I've never tried to make my own chutneys or sambhar. Time to get on that. I'll have to look into putting together my own Thai curry pastes as well — those two books look rad for digging into Thai cooking but they'll have to wait, as I spent all my extra money on an Instant Pot and a carbon steel wok. :science:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Spicy Braised Tofu

recipe is here https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dubu-jorim

After checking the Korean thread apparently the author makes generally pretty bad food, but this one was simple and tasty. I made the smaller blocks because my large frying pan is not flat and cooking large items in it is a bad idea.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I made this cauliflower curry yesterday and it was wonderful. I used fresh parsley instead of coriander because that's what I had, and it was still very flavoursome. It's good as a side or just to have on its own.

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 14, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
While we're recommending recipes, this potato and bell pepper curry is something I hadn't eaten before I moved to India, and it's good stuff.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i have started making a very simple five minute sandwich as of late which is: shiitake and grape heirlooms cooked in a bit of coconut oil, spring mix, artichokes and a bit of hummus on bread. takes no time at all and it tastes so loving good, so, so loving good. mushrooms need to be free imo though

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I find my local Asian market has insanely cheap mushrooms.

Deffo gonna try that sammich this weekend.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Made a nice little mango Thai curry last night.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Cooked with some chickpea tempeh because it was going suuuuper cheap.

Would not recommend,heavy flour consistency even after frying.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Just wanted to say that using dollops of hummus on homemade pizza is almost indistinguishable from goat cheese and made my life whole again.

I've never liked the super processed fake cheeses but an uncreamy pizza just feels . . . off to me so this is life-changing.

Combined with olives, capers, sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers and finished with fresh cilantro and chili oil it's beautiful.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Segue posted:

Just wanted to say that using dollops of hummus on homemade pizza is almost indistinguishable from goat cheese and made my life whole again.

I've never liked the super processed fake cheeses but an uncreamy pizza just feels . . . off to me so this is life-changing.

Combined with olives, capers, sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers and finished with fresh cilantro and chili oil it's beautiful.

Ever thought to make your own fermented cheese? It’s really easy.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

coolanimedad posted:

Ever thought to make your own fermented cheese? It’s really easy.

I'd like to know more!

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'd like to know more!

2 cups cashews
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegan yogurt or some other fermented fluid
Soak the cashews, either roasted or raw (I prefer roasted) minimum of 6 hours. Drain. Purée with the salt. After forming a paste, add the yogurt. Be sure not to blend it too much to avoid killing the culture. Transfer to sterile container. Age at least a day, much better two, even 3 if it’s cool. I add MSG and rock salt after it cultures. It stays good forever pretty much in the fridge. I use it every day. No need for all the gross fake cheese goop. Miyoko Schinner has a book, Artisan Vegan Cheese, if you want to branch out more. She has meltable ones (lots of oil in them basically) - i never cook with mine, I just top things I’ve made with it. You can use other nuts, mix and match, etc, to your hearts content. Blanched almonds can be a kind of ricotta or even brined as feta. Sunflower seeds are good. Cashew is the gold standard though. I make it in huge amounts and it never lasts long.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Awesome post, thank you. My local groceries only carry the vegan shreds that don't melt and taste chalky, so making my own cheese looks to be a good option.

Now I just need to find a source of semi-cheap cashews.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

coolanimedad posted:

2 cups cashews
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegan yogurt or some other fermented fluid
Soak the cashews, either roasted or raw (I prefer roasted) minimum of 6 hours. Drain. Purée with the salt. After forming a paste, add the yogurt. Be sure not to blend it too much to avoid killing the culture. Transfer to sterile container. Age at least a day, much better two, even 3 if it’s cool. I add MSG and rock salt after it cultures. It stays good forever pretty much in the fridge. I use it every day. No need for all the gross fake cheese goop. Miyoko Schinner has a book, Artisan Vegan Cheese, if you want to branch out more. She has meltable ones (lots of oil in them basically) - i never cook with mine, I just top things I’ve made with it. You can use other nuts, mix and match, etc, to your hearts content. Blanched almonds can be a kind of ricotta or even brined as feta. Sunflower seeds are good. Cashew is the gold standard though. I make it in huge amounts and it never lasts long.

drat this sounds good, thank you!

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

COOL CORN posted:

Awesome post, thank you. My local groceries only carry the vegan shreds that don't melt and taste chalky, so making my own cheese looks to be a good option.

Now I just need to find a source of semi-cheap cashews.

Amazon has a huge planters tub of 3 lb for like 16$

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

coolanimedad posted:

Amazon has a huge planters tub of 3 lb for like 16$

They sure do, thanks for the heads up!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

My first time cooking from the Veganomicon. Made the Greek tofu Benedict and it's DELICIOUS.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
Dino insists that tofu is good so it must be true but I’m so reluctant to risk the $ on a press

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

coolanimedad posted:

Dino insists that tofu is good so it must be true but I’m so reluctant to risk the $ on a press

Do it. You'll use it forever and it's so much easier than stacking books or plates in the sink.

Vegonomicon was my first vegan cookbook. Pretty much everything in there is great, though they can be a bit overly fiddly sometimes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

coolanimedad posted:

Honestly, I’ve been leaning more towards the Chinese and Korean tofu recipes. None of them want you to press the stuff, because firm tofu is already pressed. The contrast between the inside and crispy outside is quite delightful.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Don't buy a tofu press. Like dino says, make Chinese and Korean food instead. Some examples:

http://500sandwiches.com/post/84432075201/bears-paw-tofu

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/tofu-soup/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/braised-tofu-with-chinese-mushroom/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/cold-tofu-liangban-tofu/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/home-style-tofu-tofu-stir-fry-recipe/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/vegetarian-mapo-tofu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/veganrecipes/comments/75pvkh/twice_cooked_tofu_回&%2338149;&%2335910;&%2333104;/?st=jcf1vzt5&sh=893b8abd

http://mycookinggallery.blogspot.com/2017/11/silken-tofu-with-pickled-mustard-greens.html

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/17/china-best-kept-food-secret-fuchsia-dunlop-jiangnan-recipes-sea-bass-prawns (the 2 breakfast tofu recipes)

http://omnivorescookbook.com/recipes/green-onion-tofu-salad

https://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2012/04/cold-spicy-sweet-tart-nutty-noodles.html

https://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2018/03/easy-cantonese-hotdish.html

https://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2016/09/totally-homey-totally-amazing.html

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/sweet-and-sour-crispy-tofu/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/vegan-kung-pao-tofu/

There are hundreds of other wonderful tofu recipes you can find and not a single one of them needs a press. And the ones above are just Chinese - Korea has its own set of recipes to check out.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Adding to the list of recipes Dubu Jorim is a pretty good (and easy to make) Korean tofu dish. It's basically just pan fried tofu seasoned with spicy sauce.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dubu-jorim

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Guys/gals, I'm sitting on a proverbial mountain of huge zucchinis and summer squashes that have been gifted to me by well-meaning neighbors. What should I do with all of these gourds? I'll probably make some vegan zucch bread to tackle the zucchs, but I'm at a stand still with the squash.

Also, dino. (and others), I've ended up with a bag of Urad Dal that I thought had been called for in one of your book's recipes but actually wasn't. :downs: Can I use it like any other dal, or do you have suggestions for using it?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Keret posted:

Also, dino. (and others), I've ended up with a bag of Urad Dal that I thought had been called for in one of your book's recipes but actually wasn't. :downs: Can I use it like any other dal, or do you have suggestions for using it?

Yes! You can use it make a basic tadka dal. Growing up I mostly had Urad in the form of Dal Makhani, you can substitute the butter with something a little more vegan. I'm very lazy and like to my dals in the slow cooker.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/255181/slow-cooker-dal-makhani/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Keret posted:

Guys/gals, I'm sitting on a proverbial mountain of huge zucchinis and summer squashes that have been gifted to me by well-meaning neighbors. What should I do with all of these gourds? I'll probably make some vegan zucch bread to tackle the zucchs, but I'm at a stand still with the squash.
I love zucchini butter. Great for spreading on bread and it goes through zucchini pretty fast. You could make it with squash instead. Most zucchini recipes can be squashified since zucchini is a squash.

Keret posted:

Is it whole urad dal (black) or split urad dal (white)? Whole urad dal can be used like brown lentils, more or less. White urad dal is usually used as a spice or ground up to make a better.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Keret posted:

Boiled urad daal is slimy and I hate it.

That said, if you have a butt ton of urad daal, make you some medu vada. It’s so crispy and tasty.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Keret posted:

Massive amounts of ratatouille? If you use more squash and less aubergine you don't have to use insane amounts of olive oil either

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I really like squash in a Thai red curry.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Veganism - flower power. In fact this is not even all of them as I had many more in my giant Joyce Chen wok as the photo was taken.

Master level difficulty recipe
As many blossoms as you can fit in the wok
1 tablespoon olive oil
Lots of garlic
Salt/pepper
Heat oil, throw in garlic, throw in blossoms til they wilt, season to taste
I got maybe 60-70 flowers for 5$

coolanimedad fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 11, 2019

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I recently bought on a whim a bag of TVP because why not I guess. After making it up it smelt a bit funny and didn't really have a strong flavour, but this stuff is actually good, but I imagine is almost entirely dependent on other flavours to make it OK.

Anyway, I made black bean and TVP tacos with pico de gallo and chipotle sauce:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah TVP can be fried up and flavored however to give a nice crispy crunchy texture to tacos or chili or whatever. It rules

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
My Indian grocer has soya wadi but I am always so skeptical of fake meat stuff and adai is so perfect... I’ll have to try sometime.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, it's just shredded and dehydrated soybeans.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Indians don’t tend to use it as a meat substitute, because vegetarian Indians are raised to think meat is gross. Instead, it’s its own thing. You cook it hella low and slow.

First step is to rehydrate in boiling water. The. Drain off the water and squeeze out the liquid. I like the Trinidadian version. They start with a really fair amount of oil, and fry off some curry powder. Then you add onions and garlic, and cook those down until soft. Then tomatoes, garam masala, and soy sauce. Cook that whole thing down. Then add the rehydrated wadi to it, and cook over low heat for a couple of hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so. Add ground red chilies to taste, and adjust salt as necessary.

If is was a fake meat thing, nobody in my family would go near it, but because it was just a thing with a cook texture and lots of flavour, we all love the stuff.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
I’ll pick some up. I’ve seen some Trinidadian recipes but I never went tried any because of the word “curry powder”. Worth exploring? Have you guys ever read A House for Mister Biswas? Totally amazing book. It’s a comedy Bildungsroman by the immortal V.S. Naipaul about an Indian growing up in Trinidad.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
One of the few things that surprised me when I moved to India was how popular soya is. I don't think I've ever seen it in America outside of weird vegan restaurants and even that it's pretty uncommon. Meanwhile in India, street food vendors are selling it in Delhi. It's a lot like tofu I guess. In America nobody knows wtf to do with it except try to badly imitate meat, and elsewhere in the world they treat it like an actual food and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So is it just used interchangeably with other legumes or do they different things with it?