Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Balon posted:

I like this Doctor Korpse guy.

Same, he's a new character, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Boris and Bruno are as old as Felicia! They were the crew she assembled in her first appearance to break her dad out of jail back in ASM 194.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally watching the cartoonist kayfabe interview with Scioli about FF: Grand Design. I don’t think this is going to be as tight as Piskor X-Men take, but man I’m just really excited to see what crazy poo poo Tom comes up with. His stuff about Nathaniel Richards and the Illuminati sounds nuts.

Only 80 pages (20 panel pages though, drat).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes is Deep Dive: The Writer. Always assume someone is an obscure character you haven’t heard of.

Haven’t read the second issue yet, but I did notice the Carnage symbiote creeping into the logo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Vulpes is Deep Dive: The Writer. Always assume someone is an obscure character you haven’t heard of.

Haven’t read the second issue yet, but I did notice the Carnage symbiote creeping into the logo.

This one had foot notes pointing that out.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

vulpes you should start a war with gail simone over whether or not milo thurman is still canon

Alaois fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 13, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

wait what? I keep looking because I love little things like that, but I can't see anything Carnage-y. Like, is it just because the outline is red?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Heh, he's already done a FF tribute so why not do the real thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

TwoPair posted:

wait what? I keep looking because I love little things like that, but I can't see anything Carnage-y. Like, is it just because the outline is red?

Ah. It appears to be a subtle variant, meant to get mixed in with the regular ones.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

I think this is an issue with Tom King, you know, one that I think plays out in interesting ways in his better stuff and really embarrassing ways in his worst, about what kinds of vulnerabilities are allowed to show up in the veneer of masculinity, and which perimeters of masculinity have to be safeguarded by the writer at all costs. I think part of what caught peoples' attention about King at first was precisely that he even ventured into that territory at all-- both Vision and to a lesser extent Mister Miracle are all about wounded or damaged masculinity-- but perhaps as time goes on it's easier to see to what extent his conception of this topic is sort of pathological overall (see Heroes in Crisis).

And I think this is an issue that's endemic to superhero comics and has been for a long time-- if a man is allowed to be shown dropping their guard, it's in the purpose of serving tragedy. But Claremont, you might agree, is fascinating in large part because in his ultra-horny approach to superhero comics, men are also privy to eroticized gaze, they can also drop the veil because it feels good and because they love and desire other desirable people too. Throwing Lois Lane and Catwoman in a hot tub is a treat for an imagined straight adolescent male reader, a figure that I think DC and Marvel have over the decades developed a pretty fixed conception of-- throwing Bruce and Wayne in a hot tub is for a reader or an author that I think the broader culture of comics has more difficulty imagining.

I think about this a lot because I feel that despite decades of snarky commentary on the queer subtext of superhero comics, there have not been a lot of good queer superhero comics, and I believe a lot of that comes down to the hosed up ways of approaching vulnerability touched on above? I bounced off of Aaron's Avengers pretty early on, but what you're describing sounds really interesting.

Here's the opening of the issue, for some context.

And here's a page from later that follows up that vibe a little more:

Relatedly, I really love what Aaron's been doing with She-Hulk. The issue before this was a focus issue where she tries to reconcile her old, bubbly personality with her new Savage Hulk vibes, and comes to the conclusion that she enjoys feeling free to be ugly and not feeling like she's having to present an idealised version of herself to the world. It's a really refreshing take on the character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's a nice line from Carol at the end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/okjonblair/status/1150068916661694467?s=20

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ah. It appears to be a subtle variant, meant to get mixed in with the regular ones.

oh, neat!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Seeing how this usually happens when a good miniseries has a neat gimmick, who or what is the next life story?

The X-men would be DAUNTING

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All of them are too insecure to fully skinny dip except Hulk. :3

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I like that ghost Rider is both wearing a shirt and got called out on it

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Alaois posted:

vulpes you should start a war with gail simone over whether or not milo thurman is still canon

I didn't know that was a thing?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I didn't know that was a thing?

Early on in her solo book, during flashbacks to her childhood in Project Armageddon, the doctors refer to her as "the Thurman girl" which in my eyes means it's no longer her married name and Milo is out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alaois posted:

Early on in her solo book, during flashbacks to her childhood in Project Armageddon, the doctors refer to her as "the Thurman girl" which in my eyes means it's no longer her married name and Milo is out.

Maybe Milo took her name, you don't know

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Maybe Milo took her name, you don't know

His name was Milo Thurman before they were married!

This was during the 90s when seemingly nobody actually knew Domino's real name, and I'm actually curious long it was after that first solo miniseries it was before the name "Neena Thurman" was first used.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Seeing how this usually happens when a good miniseries has a neat gimmick, who or what is the next life story?

Fantastic Four would be good, specially since the kids could be useful for a "new generation" kind of deal in a very organic way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I feel like Captain America would lend itself to that well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I feel like Captain America would lend itself to that well.

Do you start in the 40s and have the 50s one be about one of the replacement ones, or skip straight to him being unfrozen?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Do you start in the 40s and have the 50s one be about one of the replacement ones, or skip straight to him being unfrozen?

Oh you definitely start in the 40s and incorporate the best retcon of all time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Alaois posted:

His name was Milo Thurman before they were married!

This was during the 90s when seemingly nobody actually knew Domino's real name, and I'm actually curious long it was after that first solo miniseries it was before the name "Neena Thurman" was first used.

Neena Thurman and Milo Thurman, no relation. Marrying someone with the same last name saves a lot of paperwork.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 15, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/exclusive-announcement-new-marvel-comics-coming-this-october
Ghost Rider series by Ed Brison and Aaron Kuder

quote:

The Brothers Ghost Rider are back!

Johnny Blaze ain’t just the king of Hell—he’s the warden too. He’s the first line of defense between the demonic hordes trying to escape the joint and the lords of other hells making a play for his throne and all the power that comes with it—including a certain evil queen from his past! Meanwhile, Danny Ketch never wanted to be a Ghost Rider. Now that his brother’s in charge downstairs, Ketch must take on the duty of Earth’s Spirit of Vengeance full-time—no matter how much he’d rather be doing anything else...

Amazing Spider-Man: Full Circle (miniseries? one-shot?) by *breaths in* NICK SPENCER, JONATHAN HICKMAN, GERRY DUGGAN, AL EWING, CHIP ZDARSKY, KELLY THOMPSON, AND JASON AARON; ART BY CHRIS BACHALO, CHRIS SPROUSE, GREG SMALLWOOD, MICHAEL ALLRED, RACHAEL STOTT, VALERIO SCHITI, CAMERON STEWART, AND MARK BAGLEY

quote:

A summons from S.H.I.E.L.D. leads Peter Parker into a globe-spanning adventure that will test him as never before, one in which the future of all mankind lies in his gloved, webbed hands! Who is the mysterious prisoner in the steel box who keeps propelling the wall-crawler onward?

Nick Spencer and an all-star team of Marvel’s biggest writers and artists take up the challenge to create the wildest, maddest, most unconventional AMAZING SPIDER-MAN story of all! Guest-starring Nick Fury, Wolverine, and Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham!

Also details on the Marvel Zombies series, if those haven't come out.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I want this as a poster so badly.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.
Wow that's gorgeous.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Amazing Spider-Man: Full Circle (miniseries? one-shot?) by *breaths in* NICK SPENCER, JONATHAN HICKMAN, GERRY DUGGAN, AL EWING, CHIP ZDARSKY, KELLY THOMPSON, AND JASON AARON; ART BY CHRIS BACHALO, CHRIS SPROUSE, GREG SMALLWOOD, MICHAEL ALLRED, RACHAEL STOTT, VALERIO SCHITI, CAMERON STEWART, AND MARK BAGLEY

https://twitter.com/TomBrevoort/status/1151316284904235008

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/1151249317300076544
It's like DC/Kamandi Challenge, but condensed to one comic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That looks/sounds great. Nice to get some modern black costume action without Greg Land.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Life Story continues to be excellent. Was a real gutpunch, though, drat.

Unstoppable Wasp ended on a high note, although I was slightly triggered by the fact that Finesse was never previously established as a scientist.

And Captain Marvel continues to be great, too. I hope Chewie's gonna be OK from that last page, though. :ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Loki wasn't exactly Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asgard, but close enough.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why did Unstoppable Wasp have to end :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Finesse portrayal in Unstoppable Wasp, which was an otherwise drat near flawless series, always stood out to me. The idea of her becoming a villain, well, it's a bit disappointing, but ultimately not that weird and it's not like the Avengers Academy kids have had a great run of things or anything remotely like a support network lately.

But her being a cackling, condescending queen bee just reads like the sort of thing you'd write if you've never read the character in anything before, and that really doesn't seem like Whitley's style.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

But her being a cackling, condescending queen bee just reads like the sort of thing you'd write if you've never read the character in anything before, and that really doesn't seem like Whitley's style.

That is odd. Since Academy have we seen anything that would suggest she's grasped the whole socialization thing? (Of course one wonders if we've actually seen Finesse since Academy period.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

That is odd. Since Academy have we seen anything that would suggest she's grasped the whole socialization thing? (Of course one wonders if we've actually seen Finesse since Academy period.)

She was apparently in Infinity: the Hunt, which was apparently another 'teenage deathmatch' story that was published while Avengers Arena was still ongoing, because I guess Marvel really, really wanted to try and get some of that Hunger Games money.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Unstoppable Wasp ended on a high note, although I was slightly triggered by the fact that Finesse was never previously established as a scientist.

She watched a scientist perform an experiment* once so she mastered it. :v:

*what kind of experiment is irrelevant since we all know in comics no matter what field of science you specialize in, you automatically know every other one.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Secret Warps: Ghost Panther was really fun! I was really curious how I'd feel about it but it was a delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

She was apparently in Infinity: the Hunt, which was apparently another 'teenage deathmatch' story that was published while Avengers Arena was still ongoing, because I guess Marvel really, really wanted to try and get some of that Hunger Games money.

In the decade plus that Harry Potter was hot poo poo I don't recall Marvel ever trying to cash in on that. Doctor Strange as Dumbledore, Doom as Voldemort and a menagerie of guest stars as guest lecturers. Scarlet Witch, Magik, etc... You'd think a magic version of the Xavier School would be a no brainer.