Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Wheeee posted:

People were almost universally hype for the Switch from day one, the only people who thought it was a lovely Android tablet were the sort of dumbasses who can't comprehend the reason behind the Switch Lite.

Once audiences got their hands on it, sure. But there were critics unsure about the Switch. Especially since its launch schedule looked very iffy and sparse.

bushisms.txt posted:

Holy poo poo, the top 50 splatoon music in Tetris 99 almost brought me to tears. So good, I miss og splatoon so much.

Yeah, I'm really glad they went with the Splatoon 1 soundtrack instead of the awful one they made in 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Martian Manfucker posted:

Is Bloodstained still rough on the Switch?

Yes. Thé first patch is expected for this week.

Random thought: Switch Pro sounds lame. Call it Super Switch or maybe that would be better for the next generation.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

robot roll call posted:

I want DQB2 even though I stalled out in the second area of the first one, the QoL improvements look great. But I've got Mario Maker, Judgement, Marvel Ultimate Alliance if its actually decent...too many fuckin' games! poo poo!

Yeah this is me too. I just finished the demo and played well beyond where the save carries over. I want more, but with MUA this coming week and Fire Emblem next week, I don’t think I’m gonna pick it up just yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's it though. The not-so-secret audience of the Switch Lite is Pokémon kids. The next Pokémon is a Switch title, not 3DS, so the kids need a portable-enough, rugged-enough, cheap-enough system for Christmas to play it on.

Yeah, except in that case it's still the parents buying it, and out of a regular Switch they get something multiple kids can share in front of a television as well as be portable.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd agree that if you're an adult that can afford $299 (minus applicable discounts) for an OG Switch that should be the default option. However, there are some people who really only want the features of a Switch Lite and being able to play 99% of the Switch game library (including 100% of the single-player/online-multiplayer titles they actually care about) on a $199 device provides sufficient value to them.

Yes, I know and have acknowledged this. It's why the argument against it is "you're not getting the value you think you are out of it", not "it's a bad device". It's functionally gonna do what you want, but for the price you're paying you'll almost certainly get more out of a regular Switch in the long-run.

OhFunny posted:

Random thought: Switch Pro sounds lame. Call it Super Switch or maybe that would be better for the next generation.

You're wrong; it should be called the Switch On! :pseudo:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 14, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
A Robot Named Fight is a bit rough on the edges, but it seems passable. Plus it was $2.
The controls and animations feel sort of bad to only slightly off, while unlocking items for later feels wrong to me. But I've only played for 15 minutes and died once to the rough angle shooting controls against the second boss I found. Will keep playing, but it's 100% indie-ghetto Super Metroid and that's still a decent formula.

Unlocked the Splatoon skin in T99 in like 30 minutes. Never got higher than 10th place, but was reminded I need to play this superb game more.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Andrigaar posted:

Unlocked the Splatoon skin in T99 in like 30 minutes. Never got higher than 10th place, but was reminded I need to play this superb game more.
It might be because I actually kind of understand the game now but it felt way easier to unlock.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Araxxor posted:

Especially since its launch schedule looked very iffy and sparse.

Did it really? In comparison to what? I thought it probably had one of the best modern console launch windows. Mostly carried by Zelda obviously.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if the switch lite was dockable it would make sense, but it only took one hardware revision for nintendo to go against their own marketing strategy

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why limit yourself simply because it's only slightly smaller and not that much cheaper? "BUT ITS SIZE!!" can only get it so far, and it simply doesn't for what you're getting at its price point.

Why buy a $100 dock I don't want and won't use?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, I know and have acknowledged this. It's why the argument against it is "you're not getting the value you think you are out of it", not "it's a bad device". It's functionally gonna do what you want, but for the price you're paying you'll almost certainly get more out of a regular Switch in the long-run.

What possible value can I get out of paying more for features I don't want? I don't want a dock, I don't want removable joycons. I really don't want to play local multiplayer. I'm positive I only want to play handheld or I would have already bought a Switch. I just don't understand. What am I going to miss out on? If I'm overlooking something, no one has mentioned it in this thread since the Switch Lite was announced.

I can get 2 - 5 more games instead!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GoodBee posted:

What possible value can I get out of paying more for features I don't want? I don't want a dock, I don't want removable joycons. I really don't want to play local multiplayer. I'm positive I only want to play handheld or I would have already bought a Switch. I just don't understand. What am I going to miss out on? If I'm overlooking something, no one has mentioned it in this thread since the Switch Lite was announced.

Can you say with absolute 100% certainty that this will always be the case and will never, ever, change for you? Never gonna have friends over one night, never ever gonna find a game you might want a nice big screen to play on? Because for even a shred of doubt you may as well just spend the extra on a regular Switch.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
If DQB2 had released in May or early June I would have got it, but like many others it just didn't make the cut in a 30 day span of MM2, MUA3 and FE:TE.

Also the Switch Lite sucks because there's no Satisfye Grip for it yet.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

bushisms.txt posted:

It might be because I actually kind of understand the game now but it felt way easier to unlock.

I forgot to look in on the Gameboy skin until like 10-15 minutes before the event ended, so I thought it would take an hour or two.

That said, the Gameboy skin is so much better than the Splatoon one :cry:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you say with absolute 100% certainty that this will always be the case and will never, ever, change for you? Never gonna have friends over one night, never ever gonna find a game you might want a nice big screen to play on? Because for even a shred of doubt you may as well just spend the extra on a regular Switch.

Yes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

$100 is a lot of money for most people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

$100 is a lot of money for most people.

And the regular Switch's price has dropped pretty close to the Lite's on several occasions if you keep an eye out for a decent discount.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CharlestheHammer posted:

The switch light isn’t any more accessible than the old switch. It’s just slightly cheaper

By definition this makes it more accessible to people who might not otherwise be able to afford a Switch.
The same way easier difficulty options make DS style games more accessible to gamers that aren't gud.

No war but the class war.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's been years since I've had a console set up in my house. I've been to friend's houses where they're playing Switch and I don't play with them. I'm 100% not interested in that kind of game. I'll always prefer to pull out a single player game over playing multiplayer. I don't have to be playing the same game to bullshit with friends who are playing Mario Party or Smash.

I bought a connector cable for my PSP and set it up for the novelty once. It's been in a box. Before that, I bought the LCD screen for the PSOne Slim, just so I could sit the thing on my while roommates used the TV.

I've been playing games long enough I know exactly what I want.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And the regular Switch's price has dropped pretty close to the Lite's on several occasions if you keep an eye out for a decent discount.

And now there's a cheaper version of the Switch that will get it's own discounts and bundles.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

And now there's a cheaper version of the Switch that will get it's own discounts and bundles.

Yeah, this, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Switch Lite for $150~ on black friday sales, probably lots of bundles too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GoodBee posted:

It's been years since I've had a console set up in my house. I've been to friend's houses where they're playing Switch and I don't play with them. I'm 100% not interested in that kind of game. I'll always prefer to pull out a single player game over playing multiplayer. I don't have to be playing the same game to bullshit with friends who are playing Mario Party or Smash.

I bought a connector cable for my PSP and set it up for the novelty once. It's been in a box. Before that, I bought the LCD screen for the PSOne Slim, just so I could sit the thing on my while roommates used the TV.

I've been playing games long enough I know exactly what I want.

Fair enough :hmmyes:.

Mister Facetious posted:

By definition this makes it more accessible to people who might not otherwise be able to afford a Switch.
The same way easier difficulty options make DS style games more accessible to gamers that aren't gud.

Except it's not as cheap as it makes out to be, because that price does not exist in a vacuum. In Australia the regular model has already dipped as low as $360AUD-ish on a few sales, and often hits the $380-370AUD mark. The cost of the Lite is $330AUD. By the time the Lite's getting bundles and discounts, you'll probably be able to get a regular Switch at (or slightly cheaper than) the current retail price of a Lite. On paper, the math does not work in its favour.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

On paper, you’re being weird as hell about this

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Mister Facetious posted:

Honestly only knocking 1/3 of the price off but selling them 1/2 a system is class war as gently caress. The spirits of the robber barons are pleased.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Klisejo posted:

Honestly only knocking 1/3 of the price off but selling them 1/2 a system is class war as gently caress. The spirits of the robber barons are pleased.

Actually the OG Switch is 398g while the Lite is 277g so you get 70% of the OG Switch for 1/3rd off.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Klisejo posted:

This just proves that the OG Switch is an incredible deal.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

I forgot to look in on the Gameboy skin until like 10-15 minutes before the event ended, so I thought it would take an hour or two.

That said, the Gameboy skin is so much better than the Splatoon one :cry:

Agreed, but the Splatoon music is better so its a toss up for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm of the specific age range where the GB skin is incredibly nostalgic, but the :woomy: noises whenever you clear a line combined with the hype Splatoon music is p. good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

American McGay posted:

I'm of the specific age range where the GB skin is incredibly nostalgic, but the :woomy: noises whenever you clear a line combined with the hype Splatoon music is p. good.

The best part of the Splatoon skin is the block-placement noise is that immensely-satisfying long-drop-into-ink "PLUNK" sound.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of the Splatoon skin is the block-placement noise is that immensely-satisfying long-drop-into-ink "PLUNK" sound.

I've been playing this with just the speakers, gonna try headphones now.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

ponzicar posted:

You need a TV switch, a bed switch, a pooping switch, and a travel switch.

What about a bed-warmer switch, I hear fans endlessly parrot about how they only play games lying in bed, this would sell like hotcakes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ka0 posted:

What about a bed-warmer switch, I hear fans endlessly parrot about how they only play games lying in bed, this would sell like hotcakes.

idgi do you think that people only say they play it in bed because other people say that?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
For a non-switch lite question, what's the general view on resident evil 4 on the switch versus the Wii version? I gather the latter has better (ie motion) controls which the new port lacks. Considering that I'm one of those who uses the thing docked 90pc of the time, is there any reason at all to spend an extra £10-15 for the switch version instead of just picking up a Wii copy?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Austen Tassletine posted:

For a non-switch lite question, what's the general view on resident evil 4 on the switch versus the Wii version? I gather the latter has better (ie motion) controls which the new port lacks. Considering that I'm one of those who uses the thing docked 90pc of the time, is there any reason at all to spend an extra £10-15 for the switch version instead of just picking up a Wii copy?

Well the Switch version is in HD which makes it worth it more imo. It’s a shame it doesn’t have gyro aiming but the game wasn’t designed for that anyway so it’s not a huge loss. I’d still play it on Switch over the Wii version.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IMO, the motion control versions actually make the game kinda worse, because the original was built around slow analog aiming and the enhanced speed of just being able to point at poo poo ends up making it way too easy. The upshot is that it makes certain weapons a lot more viable, like the vanilla Handgun and its terrible waver on analog, so I guess it has its upsides. Never don't play RE4 if the option is there though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chalk me up for the Wii version is slightly worse but that there is no version of RE4 thats a bad game and if there was a version sans QTEs I would buy copies to hand out like religious pamphlets

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The Lite has a reduced feature set to sell it at a lower price point, but I'd be willing to pay $299 for a Switch Lite that could dock. Reduced sizes are cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

If you want a Switch Lite, Harvey Norman's taking pre-orders for all three colours for $298AUD.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

:rip: a bunch of hours due to DQB2

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Sorry to drag it back to Hollow Knight chat but bugger me the game is really good.

Yeah there's hard bits, and a bit of backtracking here and there, but it never feels unfair (well not yet anyway - I've got one last seal to break on that thing you encounter near the beginning).

I wonder if the folk that didn't like the game did so purely because of how hard it is compared to a typical metroidvania. Like sure, i've found things frustrating, but after looking up some tips online I see where i was making mistakes and manage to progress.

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 14, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Wii version of Resi4 is the best game ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barudak posted:

Chalk me up for the Wii version is slightly worse but that there is no version of RE4 thats a bad game and if there was a version sans QTEs I would buy copies to hand out like religious pamphlets

I went to a bookstore once to buy a copy of The Little Prince, when I got there a guy was picking up the last copy, well the last copies, he was buying all ten copies. I asked if I could have one, and he gave it to me, explaining this was his go-to gift for literally everything: birthdays, weddings, christenings, welcome gifts, thank-you gifts etc. If there was a moment that needed a gift this is what he gave. So he'd always keep a stack of books handy in his car.

QTE-less RE4, would the equivalent of this.