Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

S.D. posted:

I'm looking at the Ouro listing now, and Max's arc is split into 4 separate arcs - the three 'rescue' missions and the last one. You're looking for The End of Vengeance (Dark Astoria, Ch. 3), number 22.14.

Yeah, but if you start that, you begin with allies. I was hoping to run it without any. It's not a big deal, as I'm pretty sure there's no badge associated with it. Just thought it'd be neat to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, but if you start that, you begin with allies. I was hoping to run it without any. It's not a big deal, as I'm pretty sure there's no badge associated with it. Just thought it'd be neat to do.

Yeah, because you can skip to the end of Max's arc at any time, it globally remembers what parts you've done.

There is no badge for going without.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hakarne posted:

So uh... don't do pubbie Diabolique. Having people do simple things like "kill the loving green glowies" and "focus on the AV" is just too difficult a concept. Reading hard.

Pubbies can't handle anything more complex than BAF and LAM. I've been on *two* TPN runs that failed.

Then again, the people on Homecoming have done Really Hard Way, so they're not *all* buffoons.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My experience on Everlasting has been that there are some pretty patient and cool folks managing the iTrial scene but they're a bit overconfident in just how specced out the population is and their overall level of experience.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 13, 2019

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Pubbies love to run +4 at all times

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

John Murdoch posted:

My experience on Everlasting has been that there are some pretty patient and cool folks managing the iTrial scene but they're a bit overconfident in just how specced out the population is and their overall level of experience.

((Hello, can I get an invite? You'll see that I've only taken two powers from my primary and the default from my secondary, but they're fully slotted and I've taken every Power Pool in their place because they fit my character concept. Cool, thanks, the character name is Mewcifer Nyamaste, I'll just be a second while I set up the rest of my text macros.))

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well now I really hope the name Mewcifer Nyamaste is available.

e: Perfect, now to go "win" some costume contests.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 13, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Judgement posted:

((Hello, can I get an invite? You'll see that I've only taken two powers from my primary and the default from my secondary, but they're fully slotted and I've taken every Power Pool in their place because they fit my character concept. Cool, thanks, the character name is Mewcifer Nyamaste, I'll just be a second while I set up the rest of my text macros.))
This player understands the game better than any of us.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wonder if anyone is actually running an all power pool character on Homecoming.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

I've got a character named Liability, this would be a good gimmick to try

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

here comes the spunk posted:

I've got a character named Liability, this would be a good gimmick to try

Be a defender to really gently caress with people.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HPanda posted:

Be a defender to really gently caress with people.

Be a Defender to gently caress with competent people, but advertise as a Healer (because Aid Other) to gently caress with bad pubbies.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I have yet to see someone with only pool powers, but I have seen a crab spider with the full fighting pool and every medicine power.

When I asked why he said 'because I hate the backpack'

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Stats
I was talking about the stat logging programs to a few people.

First one is Herostats from days of old. It is currently being updated but everything may not be in there or be read correctly, but it is being worked on.
And newer stuff like Sentinels may not be all there. Though it does seem to read mine pretty well.
It lists damages per power, heals, will tell you when your speed boost expires on multiple people. and tell you how much inf you have made this hour.
Also, when they release a new version the old one needs to be uninstalled first, this may change soon.

Second is a newer program that the maker considers finished. Posted by a goon in the discord, but I forget who.
SNBR, it is a damage only meter.

As mentioned on their page you will need to enable logging.
Go into Options > Windows > Chat > Chat Logging -> Enabled.
And the logs may not be where it defaults to look for it. Mine is under my named folder in the CoH folder under logs. Just re-point it there and all should be good.

FYI these programs give me different numbers for damage. I cant say which one is correct or not.
Though in general, they both will tell you that X power does the most Y next and Z third together.
As far as I can tell.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/herostats/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/c2jgif/snbr_damage_meter_for_coh/

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

help i keep making alts

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dareon posted:

help i keep making alts
Sorry, there's no cure.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Eventually, once the poison runs it's course, you'll be left with several pages of characters and at best an inability to decide which one to play. If you find yourself staring at the selection screen for several minutes, or logging onto one only to immediately log back out because you don't really want to play that one anyway, don't bother seeking outside help. It's already terminal.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Be a Defender to gently caress with competent people, but advertise as a Healer (because Aid Other) to gently caress with bad pubbies.

Yeah seriously. A few weeks ago someone was spamming LFG with "Need Heal0r for Citadel". After ten minutes i offered my services as a fire/kin; I said I had one heal, and he said "insufficient". He then continued spamming 'need heal0r' for at least ten more minutes. Clearly this is someone who never played the original game, mostly likely he waddled in from WoW or some other game where healers are mandatory.

Stuff like that makes me want to roll a fender named "ChestyHeal0rGirl", emp/something with all heal powers and all the medicine pool powers, but all are slotted only with one endredux so as to be totally useless.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dareon posted:

help i keep making alts

This is what's known as Playing City Of Heroes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So i kinda fell off this for a couple months, downloaded that cream soda tequila replacement and i see there are now servers labeling themselves v2i1. Just curious as to whether anyone knows what the difference is between those and homecoming

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

site posted:

So i kinda fell off this for a couple months, downloaded that cream soda tequila replacement and i see there are now servers labeling themselves v2i1. Just curious as to whether anyone knows what the difference is between those and homecoming

Those guys are are running "vanilla", which is the game exactly as it was at shutdown, with none of the code changes that Leo 'n' friends made. Personally I think the new stuff makes the game a lot better, but YMMV.

EDIT: cohservers.com gives a listing of servers and what they're running.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 13, 2019

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

i got a friend who decided they wanted to be a melee sentinel. So they took the three powers from fighting and air superiority, and one of the epic pools that gives knockout blow. Really, really really feels like they are going for the 'Im Specul" award.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Is it possible for mods to reset the xp50 boost? I’m partially retarded and used it on the wrong toon.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

xxEightxx posted:

Is it possible for mods to reset the xp50 boost? I’m partially retarded and used it on the wrong toon.

Don't suppose you can choose to remove it by going under the "Powers" section of your bar and right-clicking it?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Gynovore posted:

Yeah seriously. A few weeks ago someone was spamming LFG with "Need Heal0r for Citadel". After ten minutes i offered my services as a fire/kin; I said I had one heal, and he said "insufficient". He then continued spamming 'need heal0r' for at least ten more minutes. Clearly this is someone who never played the original game, mostly likely he waddled in from WoW or some other game where healers are mandatory.

Stuff like that makes me want to roll a fender named "ChestyHeal0rGirl", emp/something with all heal powers and all the medicine pool powers, but all are slotted only with one endredux so as to be totally useless.

I'm trying to work out how that would be 'totally useless', and I can't see it.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I’m at work and all I wanna do is go home and play this goddamn game

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bloodly posted:

I'm trying to work out how that would be 'totally useless', and I can't see it.

OK not totally useless, but 50% less useful than an emp who isn't awful. Plus I don't take the powers that make an emp actually useful, like Fortitude and Clear Mind and rec aura. Gotta make room for the Presence pool and three travel powers!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
is there any like fan development going on of this game? Are we going to see weird and interesting changes to the new system or content made as a kind of quasi-legal OS project?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Any server that isn't running the pure vanilla client seems to be based off of a build that already had some custom stuff added to it, like I think a new trial that was never on live, a new city zone that was never finished, a couple powersets that were never released, and the Sentinel archetype. The largest of them, Homecoming, has also made a couple more changes from there, the biggest probably being a change to the way sniper abilities work (while out of combat you will always do the chargeup animation, in combat it will always be instant, damage scaling is increased.)

They've talked about making other various changes and the possibility of actual new content, but it's a really small team and the project exists entirely on donations, so we probably shouldn't expect anything wild.

I just want more placeable objects for my sewer base and I'll be happy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Impermanent posted:

is there any like fan development going on of this game? Are we going to see weird and interesting changes to the new system or content made as a kind of quasi-legal OS project?

There's already a ton of custom stuff, changed or added as part of I25 and onward.

I don't think there's a single part of the game that wasn't touched in some way.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

winterwerefox posted:

i got a friend who decided they wanted to be a melee sentinel. So they took the three powers from fighting and air superiority, and one of the epic pools that gives knockout blow. Really, really really feels like they are going for the 'Im Specul" award.

Man, I’m like the only goon (certainly the only one on WS18) that enjoys sentinels, and man that sounds awful. I mean, it can maybe work regardless (Aeric made a mostly melee only DP/nin blaster that rocks) because this game is incredible, but still.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

mastajake posted:

Man, I’m like the only goon (certainly the only one on WS18) that enjoys sentinels, and man that sounds awful. I mean, it can maybe work regardless (Aeric made a mostly melee only DP/nin blaster that rocks) because this game is incredible, but still.

And here's part of what makes CoX such a beautiful unicorn: he is totally able to do that and with IO sets can be as effective as a baseline SO scrapper and can solo some +1/4 content and live his dumbass dream.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

winterwerefox posted:

If you're a ranged person you can get a lot of melee or melee-like abilities. It's a lot more difficult if you're trying the other way about. Arcane Bolt is all there is. And sometimes you want specific animations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mostly I don't know why you'd want to do a "melee Sentinel," because that strikes me as missing the point. If you want melee and defense powers, why not just be a Scrapper?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

MechaCrash posted:

Mostly I don't know why you'd want to do a "melee Sentinel," because that strikes me as missing the point. If you want melee and defense powers, why not just be a Scrapper?

And would you ask George Mallory why he wanted to climb Everest?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I can see the line of thinking, to a degree. There might be a ranged powerset they like the theme of that doesn't have a melee equivalent, like water blast or dual pistols. Maybe they want to be a mostly punchy guy who occasionally pulls out an energy rifle to hose people down. And the game is so easily breakable that it'll probably work anyway. Now if they were to then start whining about how their weird theme build isn't viable in iTrials or whatever, that's when you can really laugh at them.

Maybe it's because I've been going into this weird corner of the community too deep, but if you really want to see some bizzarre attempts to twist the limited options of the game in truly mind blowing ways, the base building corner is pretty great. No in game support for something? Just pile up as many desks and bathroom stall doors (seriously) as you can until you can trick yourself into thinking "Yeah, that looks like a beach resort" if you kind of squint a little. Every building asset in the game warped and pounded to fit the shape of whatever highly specific theme the builder demands:

"I built a pipe organ!"

VoidTek fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 14, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I happened to have Fraps on when It was mentioned that Deathsurge was up.
So Plutonic Love(Corruptor) and my Scrub Bot(Sentinel) took it on.
Though you may find it kinda boring since we take nearly no damage from it.
But whatever, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHFnzgFEoJ8

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
What’s the best way to get enhancements at 50? I forgot all the specifics, just go up and find recipes?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

xxEightxx posted:

What’s the best way to get enhancements at 50? I forgot all the specifics, just go up and find recipes?

Use the Pines builder to design what you want, open the auction house /ah and buy what you need.
Enhancement sets can be bought in the auction house while IO sets can be bought at a crafting table or sometimes cheaper in the auction house.
Dude in auction house teaches you about that, info in first post about most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I skimmed the first few and last couple pages, but whatever happened to the City of Villains classes? I miss just running around the city with my robot pals.