Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nessus posted:

Question about a post game dungeon. Yo what the gently caress is up with the Twinning, am I just bad at video games all of a sudden. This first boss was wild and by wild I mean "I kept wiping to the same mechanic despite my best efforts, and since I was the healer this lead to a chain failure as there was no rez." Is Akademia easier? It would be one thing if it felt like I was learning the fight, but it's not even tense, it's more like in the 10-20% zone of the boss I will get smeared by adds even if I avoid cracking a tube. :(

i dont think the other instance is notably easier than that one, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nessus posted:

Question about a post game dungeon. Yo what the gently caress is up with the Twinning, am I just bad at video games all of a sudden. This first boss was wild and by wild I mean "I kept wiping to the same mechanic despite my best efforts, and since I was the healer this lead to a chain failure as there was no rez." Is Akademia easier? It would be one thing if it felt like I was learning the fight, but it's not even tense, it's more like in the 10-20% zone of the boss I will get smeared by adds even if I avoid cracking a tube. :(

Serious question: Did you ever actually get your AF set?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Serious question: Did you ever actually get your AF set?
Yeah me and Urianger are in matching dresses now.

It could very well just be that I'm drunk on sleep debt due to sleep disturbances. I wasn't having major problems healing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like HW is still on top story wise.

I liked the first and third acts but the big middle of ShB really dragged for me, I think because of the lack of a strong or dynamic villain. Like Vauthry is initially presented as the head of a bunch of hedonists on an island waiting for the end of the world but then it turns out he's...sort of the lynchpin of the entire Ascian/Light scheme? But he doesn't really have a plan or a goal or anything he's just hoping all the other Lightwardens don't die. I liked Raj'it's design but you can only kick somebody's so many times before they stop being scary; with the dragons one always felt like they were about to roll over and blow up Ishgard. The Sin Eaters never really do anything other than explode.

I was also confused about Minfillia in the story--so she's basically been possessing little girls Ascian style and running them at Sin Eaters until they die for the last hundred years?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nessus posted:

Question about a post game dungeon.

It's a very high damage fight. You should be trying to get everyone up to full after each major mechanic check until you're completely comfortable with the damage output. Make sure that you're sufficiently spread for the swords, and don't try to move until they've all gone off, as it's easy to accidentally run into another sword path. When the green circles appear, spread yourself at the edges as much as possible, and burn shields on yourself if you're having trouble keeping sufficient distance.

porfiria posted:

I liked the first and third acts but the big middle of ShB really dragged for me, I think because of the lack of a strong or dynamic villain.

I'm curious, here: do you consider either Nidhogg or Thordan more compelling or dynamic villains than Ran'jit or Vauthry? If so, why?

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 14, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

porfiria posted:

I liked the first and third acts but the big middle of ShB really dragged for me, I think because of the lack of a strong or dynamic villain. Like Vauthry is initially presented as the head of a bunch of hedonists on an island waiting for the end of the world but then it turns out he's...sort of the lynchpin of the entire Ascian/Light scheme? But he doesn't really have a plan or a goal or anything he's just hoping all the other Lightwardens don't die. I liked Raj'it's design but you can only kick somebody's so many times before they stop being scary; with the dragons one always felt like they were about to roll over and blow up Ishgard. The Sin Eaters never really do anything other than explode.

I was also confused about Minfillia in the story--so she's basically been possessing little girls Ascian style and running them at Sin Eaters until they die for the last hundred years?

Vauthry doesn't need a plan or a goal. He's holding all the cards until the WoL shows up, and that interference is the only thing stopping him from just slowly gathering up every bit of the First's population until they're all either depressed slum-bound serfs high on meol or high society idiots also high on meol. The idea someone would hunt the Lightwardens until you do it is absurd because the only person who can handle that is Minfillia, and he has her too. It's part of the whole stasis thing - once humanity is no longer willing to fight the Light and just lolls uselessly in Eulmore, then the Ascians win. Him not doing anything is entirely the plan.

I think the dragon thing is absurd. They're glorified dungeon bosses, and that's it. You at least get to see the sin eaters kill people, and they're an ever-present problem throughout the expansion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vermain posted:

It's a very high damage fight. You should be trying to get everyone up to full after each major mechanic check until you're completely comfortable with the damage output. Make sure that you're sufficiently spread for the swords, and don't try to move until they've all gone off, as it's easy to accidentally run into another sword path. When the green circles appear, spread yourself at the edges as much as possible, and burn shields on yourself if you're having trouble keeping sufficient distance.
Good advice about the shields, I haven't been internalizing that I have that move... think it would be better to do it in nocturnal sect?

porfiria posted:

There was a strong and dynamic villain! Though I can see what you mean, I felt like the ongoing pressure as well as the need, narratively, to do all this poo poo NOW - and also the fact that literally only you could tap the lightwardens and get rid of them - made up for a lack of unifying malicious presence.

As for Minfilia I believe she had been doing that, albeit as a field expedient because there was nothing else she could really do for the First. (Why didn't she work with the Exarch instead of Eulmore? Well, Eulmore seemed fine until Vauthry took over.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Australia gets dominos that delivers the drat game + 3 large pizzas and drinks a MSRP value, haircuts and we get jack poo poo

OTOH we can't get any of the merch/books/etc without steep re-shipping costs and I don't think we have a way of getting the black fat chocobo yet

Hell we had to wait like six months and order $30 worth of anime (before shipping) from some place that didn't have 90% of the anime licenses to get the maid stuff

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

I ran it like 20 times in DF and 75% of the time had 0 adds, with the rest being just one add, the other players in your group were/are being pretty bad at the mechanic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

aers posted:

I ran it like 20 times in DF and 75% of the time had 0 adds, with the rest being just one add, the other players in your group were/are being pretty bad at the mechanic.
Alrighty then, I'll mark it off as learning and actual difficulty rather than rank incompetence rooted in me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kwyndig posted:

Either is fine but you do want to fully charge for Queen.

Apparently that's not actually true-- Queen damage scales linearly with charge, so it doesn't really matter aside from lining it up with a buff window.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

porfiria posted:

you only fight Ranjit 3 times, and the first time he rear end slams you and forces all of you to run, and it's only through the intervention of the Exarch that you get away. Second time he beats the poo poo out of all of those bunny amazonians and even dropping him down a pit doesn't phase him much. Thancred nearly died just forcing him to actually try and drive him off. When you fight him at the end, you win for pretty much the same reason you can beat Zenos at the end of Stormblood, and it's heavily implied he isn't actually dead.

Sin Eaters felt like a way bigger threat than dragons to me. IIRC dragons don't show up in Ishgard proper outside of a couple of cutscenes? They keep showing up on that bridge leading into the city because they're very nice and always try to use the front door. You had to throw up a barrier to keep Sin Eaters out of the Crystarium, and they still eat a whole bunch of people outside of that shield, on top of an entire town, and the sidequests in the area all deal with that devastation. Compared to all of that, on top of the Tesleen scene, dragons seem like kind of a joke. Niddhogg probably could have just flown into Ishgard through the wards and dragonkillers from any direction and wiped out 90% of the population at will and chose not to because he just wanted Ishgardians to suffer with him. Sin Eaters would have just eaten everyone.

No wrong opinions and all of that, but I feel like yours is going to be not the popular one, mainly because your complaints sound like you skipped some cutscenes or something.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still pretty early on with my DNC, but should I be doing Standard Step whenever it's off cooldown or wait until the buff has almost run out?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

porfiria posted:

Vauthry doesn't need a plan. Vauthry's purpose, as far as the Ascians are concerned, is to just make sure the First stays as hosed as it is long enough for an appropriate disaster to be manufactured Source-side for a Calamity. The First is already primed for a Rejoining.

The Ascians don't want the First to completely fall to Light, but they also want it to stay unbalanced so it can be Rejoined. Vauthry is perfect for that because he maintains the status quo above all.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Either is fine but you do want to fully charge for Queen.

backwards

there’s talk that rook has some weird scaling that makes it so you want to have it full charged, but queen scales linearly and can be dumped whenever is most convenient for you

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rhonne posted:

I'm still pretty early on with my DNC, but should I be doing Standard Step whenever it's off cooldown or wait until the buff has almost run out?
Standard Step is the one that drops the 1200 potency AOE, isn't it? This should tell you what you need to know

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Here is my Gunbreaker Glam, though I haven't played the job much yet. I usually like to dress my character in the "iconic" style of a job (so for a blackmage that means blue robes and a yellow hat for example), and I decided the style for GNB is long coats and armored limbs.

Chest is from the Filibuster set from the late HWs dungeons leading into Stormblood. Arms and legs are cosmetic items from ShB's MSQ while the shorts and the goggles are just something I got off the marketboard.

The Filibuster coat owns and really suits gunbreaker in the tacticool department, My wife also did a similar glam.

Personally I didn't have much of an idea as to what I was going to do until I dropped the Wakasa Shin from Doma Castle and then it sort of fell together.

spoiled because it was taken in a later zone

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Rhonne posted:

You can pop it on cooldown, or at least that's what I do unless I'm dealing with mechanics, etc.

One thought on post-MSQ spoilers: when Emet-Selch is rescuing Shtola, he makes a comment about what the color of her soul was. Tall friend at the DMV notes that our/Ardbert's soul is a unique color and speculates whether Emet-Selch recognized us. He doesn't believe we are who we presumably are even after we have that flash of looking like a tall friend ourselves, though, but based on the above he should be able to see the color of our soul anyway. Was he just in denial the whole time, then?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhonne posted:

It takes about 3 GCDs (a bit less) to complete, so is worth about 355 potency per GCD - more than any other non-step.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

small bird pudding posted:

You can pop it on cooldown, or at least that's what I do unless I'm dealing with mechanics, etc.

One thought on post-MSQ spoilers: when Emet-Selch is rescuing Shtola, he makes a comment about what the color of her soul was. Tall friend at the DMV notes that our/Ardbert's soul is a unique color and speculates whether Emet-Selch recognized us. He doesn't believe we are who we presumably are even after we have that flash of looking like a tall friend ourselves, though, but based on the above he should be able to see the color of our soul anyway. Was he just in denial the whole time, then?

I think he does recognize who we are. He just briefly thinks we're totally rejoined, then realizes we're just "a broken husk, nothing more".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My read with that whole arclet was:
Emet-Selch saw us as incomplete people, "if I kill you I have not committed murder." The WoL, and perhaps the Scions, were showing signs of being further progressed than most and he was perhaps hoping we would choke down all that Light and would demonstrate that we were, perhaps, not quite a person, but more like one than the rest of the rabble.

When he sees us as a tall friend, he sees us as a person. He realizes that that was how he parsed us, to his horror and disgust.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Emet totally knows that you have part of an ascian soul tucked away in you, I forget if it's one of the optional times you talk to him or not but when talking about some stuff he gives a dismissive "but you wouldn't remember, would you now?" comment

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Emet totally knows that you have part of an ascian soul tucked away in you, I forget if it's one of the optional times you talk to him or not but when talking about some stuff he gives a dismissive "but you wouldn't remember, would you now?" comment.

Yeah, he knows we have part of an Ascian soul, it's just realizing specifically who that soul is eludes him until we rejoin w/ Ardbert and then he goes full on denial *because* of who we are.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Emet-Selch even calls the WoL "my new old friend" so I'm pretty sure he recognized exactly who the WoL used to be before the sundering. It's rather bittersweet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is the gear the bunnies in Raktika wear available yet? What is it?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Groggy nard posted:

Emet-Selch even calls the WoL "my new old friend" so I'm pretty sure he recognized exactly who the WoL used to be before the sundering. It's rather bittersweet.

It's Hythlodaeus that calls us his/her new old friend, not Emet-Selch.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I really like the Ronkan Visor of Healing (even though it clips with nearly every hairstyle), so I came up with a new glam for it.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Is the gear the bunnies in Raktika wear available yet? What is it?

It's drops from the level 75 dungeon.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Hey so I've got a lore question that's been bothering me for a while now: If drowning out the 1st with light was part of the plan then what went wrong with the 13th/The Void? I thought it was supposed to be what happened if dark won out in the end, but Emet calls it "useless" so I guess that means an actual dark-aspected shard would look completely different/actually have an (over)abundance of aether to work with?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Hey so I've got a lore question that's been bothering me for a while now: If drowning out the 1st with light was part of the plan then what went wrong with the 13th/The Void? I thought it was supposed to be what happened if dark won out in the end, but Emet calls it "useless" so I guess that means an actual dark-aspected shard would look completely different/actually have an (over)abundance of aether to work with?

It's simple if an element COMPLETELY takes over a shard, it's worthless. It just has to be mostly taken over. The 13th is all dead. The first is only mostly dead, which is still partly alive.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I started out and so far it seems perfectly... fine. It's pretty but honestly it just feels like generic MMO #129807 complete with killing flies and hornets and whatever the gently caress to start. I want to give it a fair shake though - is there a certain point I should get to (or things I should try) before deciding it's just not for me? So far I've logged in for like 20 minute bursts 3 or 4 times and it's inoffensive to play but I have like 0 desire to stay on for any length of time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hakarne posted:

So I started out and so far it seems perfectly... fine. It's pretty but honestly it just feels like generic MMO #129807 complete with killing flies and hornets and whatever the gently caress to start. I want to give it a fair shake though - is there a certain point I should get to (or things I should try) before deciding it's just not for me? So far I've logged in for like 20 minute bursts 3 or 4 times and it's inoffensive to play but I have like 0 desire to stay on for any length of time.

The thing about FF14 is that much of the 1-50 experience is designed with people who have literally no experience with the WoW hotbar MMO paradigm. So it is pretty baby steps. For a veteran this can be pretty dull. After that it can and does get pretty loving wild and it is very much the best storytelling experience in the genre without question.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, as far as gameplay goes, the game starts you off extremely slowly because it's designed to be babby's first mmo. The first ~30 levels are basically a tutorial.

Also, there's a shitload of cutscenes and dialogue, and the early story is kinda rough IMO. While there's some very good stuff scattered on your way to level 50, it doesn't start getting consistently good until after 50.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

I really like the Ronkan Visor of Healing (even though it clips with nearly every hairstyle), so I came up with a new glam for it.

How long did it take you to farm the darklight gloves? I took over 30 runs, those loot tables are crowded as hell.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hakarne posted:

it's not super helpful to say "keep at it, it gets better" but god if there's one game that's true about, it's this one

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

New shirt is good.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Hakarne posted:

HW is where it really picks up, but just as far as ARR goes then without spoiling anything I will say that there is a moment that takes place shortly after the second Primal fight that really sold me on where the game was going. This takes place around, IIRC, level 30 or so but it shouldn't take too long to get there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hakarne posted:

Game sucks until 50. Actually, until quite a bit after 50 (because of some quest congestion).

That's really not the most helpful thing to tell a new player, but it is absolutely and unfortunately true.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Ruining a shard wasn't enough. They needed to cause an event on the source as well to trigger that imbalanced aether to return to the source. The 13th probably went fine, but without anything on the source to correspond to it, the 13th just kinda withered away as the void.

Drowning the first in light was part 1 of a 2 step plan. They simultaneously needed an event that matched, like the Black Rose calamity. It had aetheric properties similiar to light imbalance, so it would have worked as a trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Algid posted:

How long did it take you to farm the darklight gloves? I took over 30 runs, those loot tables are crowded as hell.

Wouldn't know, I've had them since ARR.