Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I haven't played 5 yet, but in 4.1, Fencer was a class you had to get good at, and there were occasional situations where you were just SOL, whereas a Ranger was effective everywhere and could just be picked up and used well.

A good Fencer player would absolutely make everyone else look like chumps a lot of the time though, at least until he dashed right into a point blank ant spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm one of those people who thought fencer was slow and always went back to ranger or air raider until I watched that video about jump dashing and it's like night and day, holy poo poo fencer is fun.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fencer is just generally incredibly good all-round. The main benefit of Ranger over them is ease of use, mostly, which is kind of a crappy benefit. At least Wing Diver can fly around with insane mobility and Air Raider has the BIG AOES, Ranger is just kinda there. Being boringly effective.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fencer's good, sure, but those giant gently caress-off guns are actually weaker than ranger guns. when it comes to sustained dps, everything is weaker than ranger guns.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In 4.1 at least, Fencer winds up lagging a bit behind Ranger in the AoE and anti-air departments.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Aside from the dps thing, which remains true in 5, Rangers can actually use buildings for cover. Fencers are too slow walking to poke their head around a corner to take a shot and their fast movement option throws them huge distances, frequently into being stuck somewhere as they slowly turn around. All of their big guns require them to plant their feet in order to fire too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can use one dash to leave cover, and another to go back in. it works the same as ranger rolls, only over a larger distance. i do this a lot when fighting frogs.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
yea in 4.1 a lot of the lancer's ultimate woes were over the fact it did no damage

a good third of it's weapons were gimmicky coop ones that were also use impaired. their main thing was spamming the rockets, which was weird to aim, or the reflector on high difficulties. and... that's it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HAILs are trash compared to Mortars, NC Hand Cannons, or Gallics/35mm Battle Cannons.

Fencer's other big 4.1 niche is the Vulcan Hammer. On Hardest or Inferno, absolutely nothing is better against red ants or dragons than a Fencer standing in their path and swinging a pair of Vulcan Hammers nonstop.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Quicksilver6 posted:

Heard a “we have to crack down on illegal immigrants” joke :whitewater:
It was funny as hell, along with the ICE jokes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my big problem with fencer is that they have no good options for popping turrets on constantly moving giant enemies like the walking fortress. all their long range guns have relatively slow, arcing projectiles which makes aiming at tiny moving targets quite difficult unless you can stop to aim. one way is to do it with one artillery and a shield, but artillery really works best when you double up. there's no ideal solution.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Sorta disappointed that EDF 5 seems to have the same exact levels as 4.1

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

I really don’t want to be hearing that poo poo, especially with the recent headlines.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
related to 4.1

air raider starting out is very painful, as is customary. are any of the weapon types like 4.1's fast-reloading death explosion Whale? the gunship stuff I got reload on their own but not f a s t

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
so far from the replies, it seems that after mastering the fencer, the only things a ranger may be a bit better at are: sustained dps (i am doubtful of the level of advantage when i see a fencer constantly wrecking poo poo compared to me), aoe damage (same), anti-air (this one i might believe a little bit) that they can peep around cover easier (fencer can still do this with dashes), and that fencers may have some trouble with distant small targets on ufos. which, ok if true, but i can name like a thousand things i as a ranger have trouble with destroying compared with fencer, and these things show up over and over again on every mission, not just a handful like the guns on a mothership.

honestly i should just give it up with the ranger and play fencer i guess. seems like the ranger is the boring pick-up-and-play newbie class, not completely terrible or anything but like another poster said "boringly effective," which sucks since ive been playing edf for a while before there were classes and it just feels weird to play anything else.

Damo fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 14, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ranger's the newbie class in that it can handle any situation. what enemies are you having trouble with?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The first brick wall I hit was the red drone/saucer level, maybe 20-25 or so. I used an air raider, with shields, sniper, and ez turrets which I'm fairly sure did next to nothing. I also did it on easy :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
red drones are just assholes in general. i saw a guy use a beacon gun with a naegling once, and that seemed to work pretty well.

it was pretty sweet to see those jerks trying to run away while being followed by like 50 amped up missiles.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Damo posted:

is it just me or is the fencer just extremely op. it makes me wonder what the point of the ranger is when you could just have another fencer.

i always play ranger and my friend plays fencer. for a class whose upsides are 4 loving weapons that do devastating damage and give poo poo loads of options, 2 support slots, and the highest armor, while downsides are supposed to be "he slow" and "hard to aim precise" he sure seems to zoom around the map at mach 5, sometimes literally flying around -- just a million times more mobile than me. and, he is still able to aim precise as gently caress and destroy anything and everything way faster then me with his superior damage. he is always able and ready to take out any type of threat, or at least more prepared for anything than i could ever be with his 4 slots compared to my 2. he is always more ready to take out ships (super fast), any type of enemy, long range, short range, tank, evade trouble effortlessly, literally everything better than I can do. he practically never dies. if I bring one wrong weapon out of my 2 i am basically useless sometimes. seems like that class has actually no downside from my perspective.

it was like this in 4.1, it's still like this in 5. i mean ranger can still bring some stuff to the table but it seems useless in comparison. i was hoping that would have changed in 5 but the dynamic so far still seems to be there, even with the ranger buffs.

am i just bad or something? i really want to just play ranger, as the time i tried fencer i was immediately turned off. but it seems like , when i watch him do his thing, im just kicking myself in the dick for no reason. i honestly cant think of something i can do better than a fencer, other than call up vehicles now which i am not familiar enough with yet to factor in. he can do more damage from distance (like way loving further than my snipers), do more damage close up, do more damage to ships, more mobility, more survivability, better everything.

For the record, I beat the console release on Hard and played through 80% of the campaign on Inferno with Ranger as my secondary class.

Fencer weapons are lovely rear end garbage jokes compared to Ranger weapons. At equal levels a Fencer can bring Dexter Shotguns that recoil your cursor to the moon every time you fire and do roughly half the damage of an on-level Slaughter shotgun being used by the Ranger, or the Fencer can bring their 6-barrel Arcane lockon missiles that fire half as many missiles at a much slower rate than a Ranger using a Fork launcher; so on and so forth.

The benefit of Ranger is that you have the best, strongest, and easiest to use weapons in the entire game, period. Wing Divers have short range murder and aerial mobility, Fencers are tanky and fly around like Gundams, Air Raiders blow up half the map, but literally no one has weapons even approaching how flexible and powerful Ranger weapons are. You're capable of handling more situations with a Slaughter/Assault Rifle than a Fencer is capable of handling with all four of their weapon slots, especially since Fencers are restricted in loadout if they want to be able to move. You'll never be able to remotely match his mobility, but if you could, Fencer would be kind of trash because the weapons simply do not compare.

As a Ranger, the most important weapon in your arsenal is the Slaughter shotgun. It works at surprising ranges, hits insanely hard, punches through crowds with no damage dropoff, and is genuinely just a fantastic all around weapon. Assault rifles are also important; each has their own quirks that make them useful in different situations, like the G&M having punchthrough at the cost of being semi-auto, or the Minion Buster deploying microbombs, or the Raven having insane RoF but lower damage, etc. Rocket Launchers are largely rear end. Missile Launchers, on the other hand, are fantastic; Emeralds and Forks are great weapons with a lot of flexibility. Grenades are absolutely devastating but hard to use. Sniper Rifles are good in stages that demand long range precision, which is a niche that most classes struggle terribly to fill.

If your friend is truly able to solo multiplayer maps effortlessly while you flail around and die, either he's a godly player or you guys could probably stand to crank the difficulty up.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
i dont think he can solo the maps, but when we play, most of the time whether we win or lose seems to depend on him. perhaps though the contribution i give is less flashy and apparent but just as if not sometimes more important to provide him with the leeway he needs to give the big killing blows to poo poo. we are playing on hard so far, and i am not flailing around and dying or anything, in fact i rarely die unless everyone else is dying, i just feel weak when i see him zooming around avoiding damage easily and just pounding poo poo into dust, while also being able to nuke poo poo from far away seemingly at a whim.

i appreciate your take on the ranger and makes me feel better about them. a lot of what you said reminds me why i like the class. there are a wide array of effective and powerful weapons and they aren't annoying as gently caress to use, which as i alluded to earlier, turned me off to the fencer when i tried it.

oh and the shotgun does own, very very much.

Damo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 14, 2019

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

ah dang, anyone have any ideas how I can remap the keys for this? I don't have a numpad :(

edit: nevermind. I used my keyboard that was hooked up to my work laptop. Tried mapping a mousebutton to numpad 8 but turns out I needed numlock on for that to work.

Danith fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 14, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Damo posted:

i dont think he can solo the maps, but when we play, most of the time whether we win or lose seems to depend on him. perhaps though the contribution i give is less flashy and apparent but just as if not sometimes more important to provide him with the leeway he needs to give the big killing blows to poo poo. we are playing on hard so far, and i am not flailing around and dying or anything, in fact i rarely die unless everyone else is dying, i just feel weak when i see him zooming around avoiding damage easily and just pounding poo poo into dust, while also being able to nuke poo poo from far away seemingly at a whim.

i appreciate your take on the ranger and makes me feel better about them. a lot of what you said reminds me why i like the class. there are a wide array of effective and powerful weapons and they aren't annoying as gently caress to use, which as i alluded to earlier, turned me off to the fencer when i tried it.

oh and the shotgun does own, very very much.

It's really easy in EDF multiplayer for one or more players to stand out in this way and be the team carry, but don't let it diminish others' contributions. As a career Air Raider with tons of experience with every map, I usually know optimal strategies and equipment to bring to trivialize really dangerous stuff - but while I might be able to kill an infinite number of froggos or blow up half the map or win kaiju battles for the team singlehandedly, I'm often completely helpless against something as simple as a couple of spiders jumping behind me or a few drones buzzing about that could easily kill me and gently caress the whole team's strat up.

Similarly, while your friend might be a rockstar who solves a lot of problems and rarely takes damage, everyone else is important to his success; every bug you kill or enemy you distract helps him enormously, because not even fencer mobility feels like enough when you're being chased by every enemy on the map with no help in multiplayer.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've played through the first 45 missions on hard so far with friends, and I've been finding great success with ranger. If anything, I am the one who can handle situations that the others can't. I don't have the experience to compare to something like a end-game kitted out fencer (the videos I see are ridiculous), but at the moment I feel like I am the one doing the carrying. When other classes have a hard time getting firing angles into dropships, taking down walking fortress turrets at extreme range, defending against a horde of red ants in the face, or dealing with a huge swarm of drones, ranger is there constantly contributing.

I can definitely second those Slaughter shotguns. They are beastly, and one comes with me on probably 90% of missions. The other slot is typically a sniper rifle, rocket launcher, missile launcher, or other such thing depending on the level and what I feel like trying out.

I am interested in trying out fencer, but I feel like that is going to be a second class for me. One my crew is armored and geared enough that they can carry my rear end for a bit while I gear up fencer, then maybe it will be time. Until then ranger will be there putting in the work.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Nalesh posted:

I just wish you could make it so that it didn't pick up health packs.

Press Num8 at the very end of the level. Keep it off otherwise. Then you get all the drops but still get the challenge of having to dive for health packs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Playing in the goon discord is funny because it's always 3 people playing air raider and 1 person matrix dodging spritefalls

Turns out that while air raider is a lot of fun, he's also really rear end at taking out transport ships, or most things in the sky with most loadouts

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
how do you know which weapons can pierce? at least for ranger

also are rocket launchers like the grant m3x series really not good? i feel like they are kind of a cornerstone weapon for the ranger to use. i also dont tend to use much assault rifles since i feel like in that range a shotgun is more useful anyway, and i dont see the point of bringing a shotgun and assault rifle both. i usually bring a shotgun and some sort of explosive, usually grant rocket launcher.

perhaps im just bad at rangering and use bad weapons. i know the slaughter shotguns own but beyond that i guess im at a loss. i never really used missile launchers too much. i started using the fork and emerald lately and they seem pretty good. i guess missile launchers could replace rockets if their damage is better, which it seems for some of them, and their reloads are generally pretty fast i guess. aoe isnt as big though i think. missiles are just less directly satisfying since you dont launch poo poo right at their face. i suppose i never paid enough attention cause rocket launchers are fun

anyway, teach me the ways of weapons, ranger masters

Damo fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 14, 2019

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Earth Defense Force 5: You will not be disappointed by the amount of the death gratuity.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Any tips for an aspiring Air Raider? I played him a bit back in 4.1 but that was a while ago now and with 5 out i've got the urge to blow everything up again. Playing through Co-op with my brother as an Wing Diver.

Also are you suppose to be switching the difficulty up a bunch or not? We've been going though the majority of the missions on normal so far and not not having a ton of trouble. How much harder are the harder modes and is it good for weapon drops?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Damo posted:

how do you know which weapons can pierce? at least for ranger

also are rocket launchers like the grant m3x series really not good? i feel like they are kind of a cornerstone weapon for the ranger to use. i also dont tend to use much assault rifles since i feel like in that range a shotgun is more useful anyway, and i dont see the point of bringing a shotgun and assault rifle both. i usually bring a shotgun and some sort of explosive, usually grant rocket launcher.

perhaps im just bad at rangering and use bad weapons. i know the slaughter shotguns own but beyond that i guess im at a loss. i never really used missile launchers too much. i started using the fork and emerald lately and they seem pretty good. i guess missile launchers could replace rockets if their damage is better, which it seems for some of them, and their reloads are generally pretty fast i guess. aoe isnt as big though i think. missiles are just less directly satisfying since you dont launch poo poo right at their face. i suppose i never paid enough attention cause rocket launchers are fun

anyway, teach me the ways of weapons, ranger masters

Piercing weapons have a [PT] for penetration before the damage. A few sniper rifles have it too, like the fang at level 10. I know I was using it to try and line up multiple frogs in the same shot. But yeah, a slaughter or similar comes with me on most missions.

I bring rocket launchers on some missions, but there are conditions involved. Namely, it needs to be heavily horde based, and it can't require much in the way of long-range precision work. A lot of the rockets are quite slow compared to EDF 4.1. Air raiders are very popular in multiplayer now, and they deal with huge masses of enemies better than you ever will. I do often find myself bringing a rocket launcher in underground missions. The sightlines are often shorter, there are plenty of walls and funnels for splash, and air raiders aren't cleaning up the poop.

I tend to bring sniper rifles somewhat frequently, because said air raiders often aren't great at dealing with dropships, sniping turrets on the underside of a mobile base, dealing with flyers, or other tricky precision work. If a mission has a big drone swarm I'll try and bring the fastest rifle that I think will still one shot them. Granted, once they get close the shotgun is even better.

Missiles are something I need to play around with more. The ones that lock on to a lot of targets seem very strong in single player, but when they aren't one-shotting stuff in multiplayer I feel like they lose a lot of appeal. I haven't played with the single-target multi-lock accessory thing much either. Maybe other people can fill us in on that.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 14, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Emerald with the +lock range and lock speed accessory is my bread and butter. It's great at both hordes and antiair, so long as you can stay at least 50ish meters from the targets. It's also decent against small groups of aliens, though it's a bit slow since it will tend to blow the arms off before doing real damage. Can't really use it to take out dropships or anchors, but at least you can thin the herd around them easily.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Wow. I was not ready for mission 62 and neither were the fencer NPCs I got with me on the mission. Too bad they refused to stay in the parking garage even after I found one. :stonklol:

Scalding Coffee posted:

ICE? I am guessing this is not about some Internal Combustion Engine?

Lexorin posted:

Sorta disappointed that EDF 5 seems to have the same exact levels as 4.1
Do you mean the general themes of the levels or what? I have not seen a single level that feels like a 4.1 level so far.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Oh my god in heaven I just got to the Europe levels

WHAT is this French accent, Jesus Christ

(I want him in every mission now)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they reuse some maps from 4.1, like the beach.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I remember doing mission 20 and going "wait, isn't this the map from Crimson?"

5 seconds later, there's a swarm of red ants charging at me.

Some things never change.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Oh, right. I forgot about that one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To be fair that beach has been in every EDF game, just with some improved decorations in more recent games.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
crimson redux was fine, but why the gently caress did they reuse the erginus intro mission? it sucked in 4.1, it sucks in 5, it's just intrinsically awful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Red Ant Beach is tradition, wouldn't feel right without it

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ninjewtsu posted:

Playing in the goon discord is funny because it's always 3 people playing air raider and 1 person matrix dodging spritefalls

Turns out that while air raider is a lot of fun, he's also really rear end at taking out transport ships, or most things in the sky with most loadouts

You fuckers will never blow up my ambulance bus, you can never defeat me, log off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

crimson redux was fine, but why the gently caress did they reuse the erginus intro mission? it sucked in 4.1, it sucks in 5, it's just intrinsically awful.

To show off how the new blood splatter tech gets incredibly silly with giant monsters.

Seriously, a single shot from a basic sniper rifle and every nearby building gets a new coat of paint. :v: