Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Or this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NkR14DVssA

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I'm amazed by how easily Tennant still slips into the role... and how the Muppets can still make an audience laugh with joy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Have they ever done the idea of a show about the Doctor existing somewhere in universe? Like Stargate did with Wormhole Xtreme?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Senor Tron posted:

Have they ever done the idea of a show about the Doctor existing somewhere in universe? Like Stargate did with Wormhole Xtreme?

The closest thing I can think of is the Greatest Show in the Galaxy, which featured a character based on obsessive fans of Doctor Who (the TV show).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Senor Tron posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but there's a Tom Baker story where he shows up on a planet he once visited years earlier (though it was never in an episode) where he fixed the super computer that was running the society, only he discovers that something went wrong and the computer became convinced IT was the Doctor and it completely fucks up the society who now worship the Doctor as a God, and when he comes face to "face" with the computer it has an existential crisis.

There's also a sadly missing William Hartnell story where a race of aliens who are capable of viewing things happening anywhere in the universe have been excitedly following the Doctor's adventures and become superfans, but their idyllic society is built on the exploitation of the "savages" as an energy source for their utopia. It leads to a pretty great section where the Doctor gets drained of all his energy but it basically overwrites the mind of the guy who did it with a version of the Doctor's personality which proceeds to completely sabotage their society while helping the companions find the now mindless Doctor who unlike the savages is already beginning to restore his mind and is pretty pissed about the whole thing.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Plus this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvAAP75WMp8

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Make the Agent Carter/Doctor Who crossover you cowards :mad:
God dammit, J-Ru. Now I'll never be satisfied until I see this!

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

Moffat had intended to bring the Peter Cushing movies into canon in Day of the Doctor by having the movie posters on the board of info about the Doctor, but they weren't able to get the rights sorted in time. IIRC Moff's idea was that Ian and Barbara had written a book or whatever about their time with the Doctor and their stories were then adapted into those movies.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Senor Tron posted:

The TV show Doctor Who canonically exists in Doctor Who (Remembrance of the Daleks, In the Forest of the Night).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Senor Tron posted:

The NAs that had the Professor X concept.

Ah yeah:

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Professor_X

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 14, 2019

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So driving to church this morning, 1st Wave, the new wave channel on SiriusXM, actually played “Doctorin’ the TARDIS.” The kiddo just looked at the radio with an expression of utter shock and asked me the heck it was.

“The 80’s and a lot of cocaine,” I told her.

Still, we laughed, she hummed along, and I got to introduce her to INXS with the next song.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

a version of the Doctor's personality which proceeds to completely sabotage their society

FirstDoctor.txt

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

CobiWann posted:

So driving to church this morning, 1st Wave, the new wave channel on SiriusXM, actually played “Doctorin’ the TARDIS.” The kiddo just looked at the radio with an expression of utter shock and asked me the heck it was.

Still, we laughed, she hummed along, and I got to introduce her to INXS with the next song.

It's no Jon Pertwee "Who is the Doctor", that's for sure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Now, will Cousin Brucie play The Go Go's 'I'm Gonna Spend My Christmas With A Dalek'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuBJ5H9m3Sc

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

New rumor for S12: CYBERMEN

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

eeeeeeee :dance:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Redesigned as well

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Davros1 posted:

Redesigned as well

Please keep the sing-song voices :pray:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

Now play Doctor In Distress for her and try to explain THAT poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

At some point in their life, every young Who fan has to learn about Ian Levine. Question is, is she ready for the talk?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I can't wait for Doctor Who to do Cyber-men as social media or something equally topical for 2011.

EDIT: I should clarify that it is not a rumor, it's just the first thing that came to mind with that spoiler. Probably because it's totally what I'd do and I'm a hack.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I'm not a collector or anything, but I would kill for any of the Muppets-as-Doctors puppets.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CobiWann posted:

It's one of those things that's a guilty pleasure these days, what with the Gary Glitter backing track.

Thank gently caress for the White Stripes knocking that track out of most sporting arenas.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I can't wait for Doctor Who to do Cyber-men as social media or something equally topical for 2011.

EDIT: I should clarify that it is not a rumor, it's just the first thing that came to mind with that spoiler. Probably because it's totally what I'd do and I'm a hack.

They did that, you just forgot because the story that did it only started there, and then went in wild directions afterwards.

The 3W group and the overall concept at play in Dark Water was playing on social media, just indirectly. Profiles remaining as memorials, and then using the dead to sell a message or product. An automated advertisement using your dead friend's Facebook profile to sell you something, or a celebrity's sponsored endorsement going out after their death, ultimately isn't all that different to what 3W was pulling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

what with the Gary Glitter backing track.

I didn't know this and now I feel dirty, ugh.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

She's my stepdaughter - her Dad gets to handle THAT talk.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So BF is teasing something Noble ... Donna Noble.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1150515203378954245

My guess is it's going to be about that year Donna spent looking for the Doctor after she chose not to go with him after "The Runaway Bride".

(Also, because Catherine Tate had mentioned earlier this year that she was doing The Donna Noble Adventures for BF)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Donna Noble, Jack Harkness, and Charley Pollard in...Doctor Hunters!

"They've all lost the Doctor--can they find him?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Donna: Is he the Doctor, he doesn't look like the one I remember.
Jack: Mine either, what about you, Charley?
Charley: He looks like him, but I often run into his doppelgangers, let's ask him.
Eight: Haven't the foggiest, sorry. :unsmith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Donna: Is he the Doctor, he doesn't look like the one I remember.
Jack: Mine either, what about you, Charley?
Charley: He looks like him, but I often run into his doppelgangers, let's ask him.
Eight: Haven't the foggiest, sorry. :unsmith:

Seriously? You honestly think that would be Donna and Jack's reactions after seeing this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 15, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's the wrong gif!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
But alas they still can't fix Donna's lovely ending

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:mad:“If she remembers who I am, she’ll die!”

<Donna walks in>

:v:“Hi Donna, I’m the Doctor, remember me?”

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Davros1 posted:

Seriously? You honestly think that would be Donna and Jack's reactions after seeing this:

I'm, like, 95% straight, but Paul McGann is a very, very attractive man. Both classic and (possibly even more so) current versions, to be honest.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Everyone's gay, both literally and figuratively, for Eight

The_Doctor posted:

:mad:“If she remembers who I am, she’ll die!”

<Donna walks in>

:v:“Hi Donna, I’m the Doctor, remember me?”

She'd promptly slap him, berate him, chew him up like a wet rag, and then invite herself along for another crazy ride through time and space

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

But alas they still can't fix Donna's lovely ending

Big Finish fixed Peri's lovely ending (several times) and she got to travel with the Doctor again to boot.

I'm confident they can sort out Donna with no problem.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
they loving ruined all the Peri goodwill Piscon Paradox set up with the later six and peri stuff. just awful

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

How often do Big Finish do sales?

The titles are a bit pricy for me, but I've enjoyed what I've listened to so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They used to regularly do sales (and after a period of time they'll permanently discount earlier titles) but I haven't bought anything for awhile so not sure if they've become more rare.

A bigger issue is that they used to not do currency conversion on digital sales so a £20 title would be 20 of whatever another country's currency was, which was pretty helpful given the pound used to be so strong pre-Brexit (and is still pretty powerful post-Brexit too) and a conversion would up the price pretty significantly. They announced that was ending though I'm not sure if the date has come and gone yet.