Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Like I said on YouTube, Daria totally holds up. It's not nearly as amazing as it was back then, but it still hit a ton of still relevant high notes. I rewatched a bunch of episodes a couple of years ago--it is missing the licensed music, unfortunately.

Also, there's a planned spin off starring Jodie (Tracee Ellis Ross) that was recently announced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Wow, you just Skeeted on in here with that hot take.

That said, of the OG Nick Toons, Doug is almost my least favorite. He wins by not being Ren & Stimpy, however, because John K is a garbage person.

Rocko's Modern Life or GTFO

I like the way you think, since I’d rank all three of these shows the same way

heck, Rocko’s Modern Life has withstood the test of time the most gracefully of all three shows imo (because it’s good for kids to learn that the world of adulthood is frequently ridiculous, arbitrary and fickle)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

Mysterious Cities of Gold, and all y'all kids can get the hell of my lawn!

This goon knows what's up.

(It took me an unflattering number of years to learn how the name Esteban is actually supposed to be pronounced.)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

SatansOnion posted:

I like the way you think, since I’d rank all three of these shows the same way

heck, Rocko’s Modern Life has withstood the test of time the most gracefully of all three shows imo (because it’s good for kids to learn that the world of adulthood is frequently ridiculous, arbitrary and fickle)

Have you seen the updated Rocko's Modern Life trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuF9aZxoipE

It's great :allears:

Prowler posted:

Like I said on YouTube, Daria totally holds up. It's not nearly as amazing as it was back then, but it still hit a ton of still relevant high notes. I rewatched a bunch of episodes a couple of years ago--it is missing the licensed music, unfortunately.

Also, there's a planned spin off starring Jodie (Tracee Ellis Ross) that was recently announced!

I was one of those girls who was called Daria in high school. I guess I'm the misery chick?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I was one of those girls who was called Daria in high school. I guess I'm the misery chick?

That's more, I dunno, Beavis and Butthead Daria? Daria in her titular series is a realist. A sane voice in a sea of extremes. Sure, her observations are generally pessimistic and negative, delivered in layers of sarcasm and wit, but it's all a facade.

I mean, Daria is literally surrounded by idiots and people steps away from needing various types of hospitalization and therapy. From their perspective, of course she would be a "misery chick."

Edit: Also, that trailer came out quite a long time ago, and it's kinda fallen off the radar since the Arnold one came out....

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I had heard about Rocko’s Modern Life coming back, but didn’t dare follow too closely out of fear that something I particularly enjoyed once turned into warmed-over garbage (or, as in the case of John K., hot runny splattery noxious garbage straight from the rear end in a top hat of a real top-tier rear end in a top hat)

that trailer goes a long way to reassure me that this new material should be pleasantly watchable, at least

Hey Arnold wasn’t bad at all but it was sort of after my time, I suppose, and its setting and tone didn’t hook me with over-the-top surrealities the same way Rocko’s O-Town did as a child

so thanks Dirt Road Junglist for passing along that link!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rugrats was always my nicktoon of choice.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't think Doug was anyone's favorite Nicktoon. It's not bad, but it seems to have not struck as much of a chord with kids of that era as some of the other Nicktoons did.

I didn't really like Rugrats growing up, and I didn't get why that was the most glamorous Nicktoon. But thinking back on it, it was deeper than I thought. One episode was an adaptation of Cool Hand Luke.

Even before John K. was exposed as a creepy scumbag, I didn't get the appeal of Ren & Stimpy, not even the earlier episodes. It relied a little too much on grossout humor even then.

Rocko's Modern Life was my favorite Nicktoon growing up, and watching it again when it was on Netflix made me appreciate it in a whole new light. I did a double take when they made a Scientology joke in a Season 3 episode (the one where Rocko has to pay off a $500 pizza delivery bill).

I stopped watching Nickelodeon not long after Hey Arnold came out, but watching some of those episodes as an adult made me realize I missed out. Whereas Rocko was unabashedly cynical about society, Hey Arnold was sincere and down-to-earth.

Ahhh! Real Monsters was meh.

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
stoop kid's gonna leave his stoop

Prowler
May 24, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

I don't think Doug was anyone's favorite Nicktoon. It's not bad, but it seems to have not struck as much of a chord with kids of that era as some of the other Nicktoons did.

I didn't really like Rugrats growing up, and I didn't get why that was the most glamorous Nicktoon. But thinking back on it, it was deeper than I thought. One episode was an adaptation of Cool Hand Luke.

snip

It's not often I agree with every single point in someone's post. I liked Doug--it was unique, bizarre, and had heart. I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to watch it, either.

Rugrats, I felt, achieved higher success because its appeal spanned a larger age group--especially over time. My younger (female) cousins loved it, so I guess I was slightly outside the demographic for it growing up.

Edit: Thinking about it for about five seconds more: Rugrats had multiple strong, female characters, and I agree, there's probably a lot about the show I dismissed because, I mean, it was Rugrats.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 14, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Prowler posted:

It's not often I agree with every single point in someone's post. I liked Doug--it was unique, bizarre, and had heart. I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to watch it, either.

Rugrats, I felt, achieved higher success because its appeal spanned a larger age group--especially over time. My younger (female) cousins loved it, so I guess I was slightly outside the demographic for it growing up.

Edit: Thinking about it for about five seconds more: Rugrats had multiple strong, female characters, and I agree, there's probably a lot about the show I dismissed because, I mean, it was Rugrats.

Rugrats had heart, a sense of adventure without requiring any actual "villains" only people. It was magical in only the way a child's imagination can make anything magical regardless of the mundane truth.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Doug is oike plain vanilla ice cream.
Hes not a very compelling protagonist when comparef to the characters that surround him, like Arnold has this weirdish sort of figuring it out maturity to him.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Doug sucked and i hated it. being kinda boring and okay is a sin when up against superior shows like Rocko and Rugrats

Eek the Cat had some good eps too... like the shot for shot remake of Apocalypse Now

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Doug sucks and Grandma Party gets sad about it when we call him out for it in the Discord.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Doug sucks and Grandma Party gets sad about it when we call him out for it in the Discord.

Eat faster has only watched the episode of Jimmy with him in it. But he's watched it 8 times. I'm not kidding.

Mr. Dink rules. So does Doug's hot dad.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

GrandmaParty posted:

Eat faster has only watched the episode of Jimmy with him in it. But he's watched it 8 times. I'm not kidding.

Mr. Dink rules. So does Doug's hot dad.

It's at least a top 15, top 20 episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dash Rendar posted:

Doug sucked and i hated it. being kinda boring and okay is a sin when up against superior shows like Rocko and Rugrats

Eek the Cat had some good eps too... like the shot for shot remake of Apocalypse Now

Eek was often the thing I half paid attention to while waiting for Terrible Thunder Lizards to start. Doug was often too awkward to watch sometimes because it hit too close to home for me on some things (I had a purple skinned neighbour who called me Douglas, okay).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I remember liking Rugrats the best when I watched Nickelodeon as a kid, but then it got dropped from our cable and I had to pivot to Cartoon Network instead, which I ended up liking more overall.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Rocko's Modern Life > Doug. Rugrats was great as well, especially Reptar on Ice.

Non cartoon wise, the best Nick show will always be Pete & Pete

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 21 is up!

Lord give me strength, Drkeiscool made me want to feel young and cool again. I failed to impress him despite how much he wants to be my son.

I had two goals: make him think I'm cool and not talk about cum socks. Failed at both.

We start out in the arena which is pretty straightforward murder town but then we get to my favorite city in the entire game.

And oh my god, those fluffy sheep. They're adorable.

Calm Valley is probably my favorite place in this game so far. And that's hard, because I've enjoyed a lot of it.

I actually wish it was a little bigger.

Commentary On

No Commentary

The paternity test denial is from the best paternity test of all time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ys4IZqYM00

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 15, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Brass instruments can have spit valves but not all of them do- I've played French Horn for a long time and my horn doesn't have one, but I've seen other models that do. It's mostly a convenience thing for cleaning while you're playing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

C-Euro posted:

Brass instruments can have spit valves but not all of them do- I've played French Horn for a long time and my horn doesn't have one, but I've seen other models that do. It's mostly a convenience thing for cleaning while you're playing.

...where does all the spit go? Do you honk your trombone and it all goes flying out all over the stage?

Because that's rude.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GrandmaParty posted:

...where does all the spit go? Do you honk your trombone and it all goes flying out all over the stage?

Because that's rude.

Nah actual brass instruments (saxophones are technically reed/woodwind instruments) have tuning slides that can be pulled out for emptying out spit. In the case of my horn it'll sometimes collect in the first noticeable curve in the piping after where my mouthpiece goes, so I can just take the mouthpiece out, tilt the horn backwards and it all comes out of that lead aperture.

Also it's (mostly) condensation from blowing hot air through cooler metal tubes and not entirely spit :gaz:

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I used to play tuba and you better believe those huge fuckers had spit valves. One time I forgot to empty it out for like a month, and when I finally remembered, the volume and pressure of fluid released was reminiscent of a solid morning piss.

:confuoot:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This episode has sheep in it doing things, so that's me satisfied.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Can you use the action button to get Jimmy's opinion on various areas? Some of them are great, like the outside of the Legs of the Giant.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mizuti posted:

Can you use the action button to get Jimmy's opinion on various areas? Some of them are great, like the outside of the Legs of the Giant.

This is one of those things I keep meaning to do.

I think what I may end up doing is going back to all previous areas and posting screenshots in this thread and then do it going forward.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Ayndin posted:

I used to play tuba and you better believe those huge fuckers had spit valves. One time I forgot to empty it out for like a month, and when I finally remembered, the volume and pressure of fluid released was reminiscent of a solid morning piss.

:confuoot:

jesus loving christ :gonk:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Some of those enemies in the arena make their first proper appearance later in the game. It's a nice preview of what's to come.

I think Calm Valley is the only instance in the game of using the Blob's overworld ability to provoke an NPC.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

wind instruments, especially brass instruments, are really gross in retrospect

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Raiad posted:

wind instruments, especially brass instruments, are really gross in retrospect

The trombone catches a shitload of spit at the bottom of the slide since it's too long to really push it all the way through. Ask me about dumping my spit valve all over a judge's shoe during a marching band competition.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bari saxes has a spit valve on the bottom of the upper loop.

On that note, it's the best of the wind instruments because it's some bari good sax.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

iospace posted:

On that note, it's the best of the wind instruments because it's some bari good sax.

Why do I love and hate you this much

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

iospace posted:

If anybody ever tries to dispute this, counterpoint:

https://youtu.be/__OSyznVDOY

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

thecluckmeme posted:

If anybody ever tries to dispute this, counterpoint:

https://youtu.be/__OSyznVDOY

Big band jazz is 100% my poo poo, for what it's worth.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

DiggityDoink posted:

Ask me about dumping my spit valve all over a judge's shoe during a marching band competition.

Hey SA user diggitydoink what’s this about dumping your spit valve all over a judge's shoe??

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 22 is up!

Screaming Marmot joins me in our quest to deworm a really ugly bird and also find a giant's gooch. The bird has been located but the gooch remains lost to science.

I did not talk about cum socks this time, which is a victory for me. However, Screaming marmot did stumble upon one of the worst phrases in the English language.

I also tried to pour milk on myself for Katherine but she stopped that in its tracks.

Lastly, I did talk to Kasey about Gribblenauts. He seemed interested if I could get the license.

Commentary On

No Commentary

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
On the subject of lying chat...didn't you say you were a lawyer?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

C-Euro posted:

On the subject of lying chat...didn't you say you were a lawyer?

No I said you were a lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Taking an ice cream sandwich in the shower sounds gross. It will get all soggy, and then not only will it be soggy but it will have shower water flavor which makes everything worse.

Speaking of people eating things in the shower, recently I learned about some trend where people are eating oranges in the shower? I guess you can just eat it like an animal and not worry about making a huge mess and orange + steam makes a good smell