Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Hakarne posted:

So I started out and so far it seems perfectly... fine. It's pretty but honestly it just feels like generic MMO #129807 complete with killing flies and hornets and whatever the gently caress to start. I want to give it a fair shake though - is there a certain point I should get to (or things I should try) before deciding it's just not for me? So far I've logged in for like 20 minute bursts 3 or 4 times and it's inoffensive to play but I have like 0 desire to stay on for any length of time.

The A Realm Reborn bits are kind of rough due to the developers having to crunch super hard to fix a bad game, but the game plays better around level 35-40 when you've got your job and your first couple job actions and the story picks up around that time.

Some trimming across the last two expansions has made early levels in most classes a lot more simplified for the sake of the lategame, but if you manage to stick with it until the end of ARR and get into Heavensward I think it's worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Ruining a shard wasn't enough. They needed to cause an event on the source as well to trigger that imbalanced aether to return to the source. The 13th probably went fine, but without anything on the source to correspond to it, the 13th just kinda withered away as the void.

Drowning the first in light was part 1 of a 2 step plan. They simultaneously needed an event that matched, like the Black Rose calamity. It had aetheric properties similiar to light imbalance, so it would have worked as a trigger.

I guess that makes sense but then what were they planning to do about The Void, their whole Rejoining plan is kinda hosed unless they can find a way to fix/rejoin it. Or maybe they just figured 12 was good enough?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I guess that makes sense but then what were they planning to do about The Void, their whole Rejoining plan is kinda hosed unless they can find a way to fix/rejoin it. Or maybe they just figured 12 was good enough?

That's basically it. They can't do anything about it, but it's as good as needs to be. And we kinda kick rear end with 8/13, so they're probably right.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Wouldn't know, I've had them since ARR.
So weird to hear about people that have inventory left for glamours from back then. I only started hoarding stuff when the glamour dresser was added. Leveling crafting means that I only have 12 item slots left across my inventory/saddlebag/retainers.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Again, dick move teasing me with this but not letting me actually do it.

They'll probably be safer if they're not at full strength.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Nessus posted:

Question about a post game dungeon. Yo what the gently caress is up with the Twinning, am I just bad at video games all of a sudden. This first boss was wild and by wild I mean "I kept wiping to the same mechanic despite my best efforts, and since I was the healer this lead to a chain failure as there was no rez." Is Akademia easier? It would be one thing if it felt like I was learning the fight, but it's not even tense, it's more like in the 10-20% zone of the boss I will get smeared by adds even if I avoid cracking a tube. :(

EXDR The mechanics are straightforward but it's an unforgiving fight. Positioning's key. Any overlap of AoEs or too many adds can cause a wipe. As a healer, hang towards the center/back - gives your party members room to maneuver while you avoid the tankbuster cleave. For my bit, Akademia is easier - fewer overlapping AoEs with more common mechanics. Final boss can get hairy if folks overlap thunder or fail to pick up orbs.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Alright, thanks all. I'll plug away at it and if it doesn't catch my fancy by like level 60, well hey I probably got my money out of it by then and at least it kept me busy. It's not like it's bad by any means, more like wading in the shallow end of a nice pool. But when you're used to swimming laps it's hard to just float there for a while waiting for something interesting to happen. :v:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

ARR is definitely kind of simple and seems kinda too long for what it does to people who've played a bunch of mmos before, but I can definitely say a lot of the people I've seen get into it as their first real mmo have really appreciated the "hey, listen, we're going to take this very slow so you don't get overwhelmed" nature of it a lot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ruining a shard wasn't enough. They needed to cause an event on the source as well to trigger that imbalanced aether to return to the source. The 13th probably went fine, but without anything on the source to correspond to it, the 13th just kinda withered away as the void.

Drowning the first in light was part 1 of a 2 step plan. They simultaneously needed an event that matched, like the Black Rose calamity. It had aetheric properties similiar to light imbalance, so it would have worked as a trigger.

Its also possible that egging on Thordan was also an attempt at causing an imbalance on The Source. Lahabrea just royally hosed it up because he never thought a primal would/could eat him.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 14, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Hakarne posted:

So I started out and so far it seems perfectly... fine. It's pretty but honestly it just feels like generic MMO #129807 complete with killing flies and hornets and whatever the gently caress to start. I want to give it a fair shake though - is there a certain point I should get to (or things I should try) before deciding it's just not for me? So far I've logged in for like 20 minute bursts 3 or 4 times and it's inoffensive to play but I have like 0 desire to stay on for any length of time.

The first time you get a trial is exciting. Hell Titan is still pretty hype even though the fight is pretty simple nowadays. I'd say see how you feel about it when you get about that far, and know that it gets even better from there. That said, the lead-up to Titan is a bit maddening, as well as the leadup to Garuda. Like as much as people say that HW is really good, which it is, there's still a lot of neat moments on the way there, like every Primal trial is still pretty cool. ARR just suffers from more padding than its expansions.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its also possible that egging on Thordan was also an attempt at causing an imbalance on The Source. Lahabrea just royally hosed it up because he never thought a primal would/could eat him.

Thordan himself was going to go all godking of ishgard and wage war on the dragons, garleans, and presumably everyone else, and behind that he was goaded into waking up the warring triad although his initial plan was to drain them of all their energy. It's unclear if Lahabrea was counting on that or it was just a mess Elidibus had to clean up.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I get the feeling that the Ascians kinda have put the 13th shard on the backburner, and they're gonna plan to rejoin it later when they figure something out. But meanwhile, they have all these other unruined shards to rejoin, so they are working on that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hakarne posted:

Alright, thanks all. I'll plug away at it and if it doesn't catch my fancy by like level 60, well hey I probably got my money out of it by then and at least it kept me busy. It's not like it's bad by any means, more like wading in the shallow end of a nice pool. But when you're used to swimming laps it's hard to just float there for a while waiting for something interesting to happen. :v:

I'm having a similar experience although it sounds like I'm almost to the good bit. I'm level 30 and have basically just been bouncing between main quest NPCs for a while now. I like how many small dungeons there are at low level though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Chalks posted:

I'm having a similar experience although it sounds like I'm almost to the good bit. I'm level 30 and have basically just been bouncing between main quest NPCs for a while now. I like how many small dungeons there are at low level though.

XIV has dungeon design down to a very simple but effective formula— three bosses each dungeon, with a small amount of trash in between. There’s the odd outlier but that’s the general rule, and as a result dungeons are nice, concise, and fast while still having neat encounters in them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nuebot posted:

:shepface: In my desire for all the pets and such possible I'm faced with the sightseeing log. I'm looking over this thing and oh boy is this going to be rough. I found one earlier but apparently you can only activate it at 8AM to 12PM server time if it's cloudy. So I guess that's going to be a long term goal.

I have noticed a fun thing, any time I'm running about and find someone else riding a fat chocobo we almost always stop and just stare at one another before going on our way. The secret kinship of fat birds I guess.

This weather -> real world time calculator may help you. Unfortunately, it is not yet updated for Shadowbringers, but for all the rest of those ones with stupid weather requirements (which I believe are exclusively ARR anyways?) it will serve just fine.

https://super-aardvark.github.io/weather/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 14, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Clarste posted:

Game sucks until 50. Actually, until quite a bit after 50 (because of some quest congestion).

That's really not the most helpful thing to tell a new player, but it is absolutely and unfortunately true.

No one's gonna say ARR is the best part of the game or anything but this is still an exaggeration, else the game would've already died years ago back when level skips weren't a thing and hell, 50 was all people had. Obviously the quality of the expansions makes it look a lot worse in hindsight but that's not really the viewpoint a beginner would look at it from anyway.

It's flawed, goes on for too long for its own good due to some unnecessary padding, but you'd think it was 1.0 the way some people talk about it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
For some reason, while all the normal people are off leveling side jobs or farming EX primals or having sex or whatever, I've decided to spend all of my money rapid-fire leveling my crafters to 80. CUL, GSM, and ALC down, with WVR, LTW, BSM, ARM, and CRP sitting at 76 until I get around to them. Somewhat hilariously, a level 76 WVR or LTW or whatever can quite comfortably HQ the level 80 crafter gear. You don't even need a bunch of starting quality!

Anyways, the level 80 crafter hat is a cute beret thing, and it's cute. Which is the only reason I'm really bothering to make this post, besides that it gives me an excuse to cry about how much of a pain the WVR and LTW hand-ins are.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ardbert being the First's shard of the WoL's soul is completely unsurprising since he uses the default WoL design from the intros.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Finished the Shadowbringers MSQ last night, what a ride.

I went into all the dungeons and trials blind, so I was totally caught by surprise at Hades' 2nd phase. Also when the opening song kicked in, so drat good :black101:

Bandwagon bandwagon

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

For anyone who like me is not a career healer and is a bad SCH, here's a good video about how to heal dungeons well as SCH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE1Ay8mmVB8

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

In case anyone was wondering what the Hrothgar flying armchair sit looks like.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 14, 2019

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hakarne posted:

I think it’s fair to say that if the Navel in the mid-30s doesn’t make you go “ok that was pretty cool” you can safely put the game down

bow down overdweller

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 14, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

World War Mammories posted:

I think it’s fair to say that if the 8-man fight in the mid-30s doesn’t make you go “ok that was pretty cool” you can safely put the game down

bow down overdweller

You don't get any 8-man fights until 49 (Cape Westwind)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I wouldn't call even Westwind a fight so much as a merciless Roe bullying session.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

You don't get any 8-man fights until 49 (Cape Westwind)

oops, you’re right, I forgot that there are three versions and the hard is 8-man. I’ll fix it

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As a side note on rejoinings and the 13th: We know multiple people from the 13th, including their Warrior, and it's entirely possible there are more out there. It's entirely possible when they saw the 13th was going to be lost they just grabbed the souls they cared about.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mulva posted:

As a side note on rejoinings and the 13th: We know multiple people from the 13th, including their Warrior, and it's entirely possible there are more out there. It's entirely possible when they saw the 13th was going to be lost they just grabbed the souls they cared about.

I suspect it's still possible to trigger a rejoining between the 13th and the Source, it would just require a lot more work than for the other shards. I got the impression the Ascians were leaving the 13th on the back burner because in the meantime the voidsent are useful weapons. We know the War of the Magi was a Calamity, and one of the major instigators of that was Mhach which ran their entire civilization on bound voidsent. I'm kind of surprised Emet didn't claim responsibility for Mhach or Amdapor in addition to Garlemald and Allag.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Don't overcap but save them for buff windows.

So save 3, pop that 4th on C/D and dumb em all afte rTHE BIG DANGE got it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So save 3, pop that 4th on C/D and dumb em all afte rTHE BIG DANGE got it.

Also if you're doing dungeons rather than trials or raids you get more value out of saving them for trash pulls, so if you really want to be a brokebrain psycho like me dont dump them on bosses

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Kanfy posted:

No one's gonna say ARR is the best part of the game or anything but this is still an exaggeration, else the game would've already died years ago back when level skips weren't a thing and hell, 50 was all people had. Obviously the quality of the expansions makes it look a lot worse in hindsight but that's not really the viewpoint a beginner would look at it from anyway.

It's flawed, goes on for too long for its own good due to some unnecessary padding, but you'd think it was 1.0 the way some people talk about it.

I think its a problem of Stormblood and now Shadowbringers making ARR retroactively feel worse than before due to skills being moved around/removed. A new player isn't going to notice this, of course, and Shadowbringers actually improved it in one aspect in giving more jobs their AoE skills at lower levels. But I can see how people can now view ARR in a very negative light from a gameplay perspective.

Realize that at 50 half the skills that I had have been removed or their function completely changed since ARR. Every physical DPS used to have two DoTs for instance. Shade Shift used to be called Perfect Dodge and it completely nullified one physical attack instead of creating a shield. Stuff like that. I'm not saying its bad that they removed or changed these things but the point I'm trying to make is that level 50 then and level 50 now feel completely different, and not always in a good way.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Every time i want to play this game Excalibur is locked and then i forget about it. oh well. the real new player barrier is Excalibur being locked

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Cythereal posted:

I suspect it's still possible to trigger a rejoining between the 13th and the Source, it would just require a lot more work than for the other shards. I got the impression the Ascians were leaving the 13th on the back burner because in the meantime the voidsent are useful weapons. We know the War of the Magi was a Calamity, and one of the major instigators of that was Mhach which ran their entire civilization on bound voidsent. I'm kind of surprised Emet didn't claim responsibility for Mhach or Amdapor in addition to Garlemald and Allag.

I don't really think the Ascians actually did those. If anything those might have been the times where Emet tried to live among mortals, and saw them horribly gently caress up. Allag's descent into madness and decadence and Amdapor and Mhach's mutual destruction with magi-nukes seems perfectly in line with his lines about mortal's greed and destruction of each other

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 14, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't really think the Ascians actually did those. If anything those might have been the times where Emet tried to live among mortals, and saw them horribly gently caress up. Allag's descent into madness and decadence and Amdapor and Mhach's mutual destruction with magi-nukes seems perfectly in line with his lines about mortal's greed and destruction of each other

The Ascians had to have been responsible for the War of the Magi, though, considering it was a fully fledged Calamity - the water one in between Allag (earth) and Bahamut (darkness).

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hey no one told me the game gives you 15 days of playtime when you reach level 30. :3:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
How many years have I waited for this moment...

For the one that stood alone against this fishing window...

For the one they called....

The Ruby Dragon...

*shadowbringers chorus kicks in with man yelling WE FIIIISH*

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Minrad posted:

How many years have I waited for this moment...

For the one that stood alone against this fishing window...

For the one they called....

The Ruby Dragon...

*shadowbringers chorus kicks in with man yelling WE FIIIISH*

I wish you luck, aspiring Grandmaster Caster.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Cythereal posted:

The Ascians had to have been responsible for the War of the Magi, though, considering it was a fully fledged Calamity - the water one in between Allag (earth) and Bahamut (darkness).

Bahamut wasn't darkness, Bahamut was everything iirc, at least all of the "basic" elements (lightning, water, earth, (lots of)fire, ice and wind).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bahamut wasn't darkness, Bahamut was everything iirc, at least all of the "basic" elements (lightning, water, earth, (lots of)fire, ice and wind).

The powerpoint presentations in ShB show Bahamut's calamity as dark red-black in color, the color of darkness. Darkness and light aren't elements per se, they're forces that act on the elements.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hakarne posted:

If nothing about the story or world grabs you or makes you interested to keep playing I say call it a writeoff and just stop because the gameplay is never not about walking from place to place to talk to npcs and hand them items and occasionally killing a couple of monsters that spawn.

I consider it way more of a single player visual novel with occasional group mmo combat than a more traditional mmo if you arent at endgame, and the people telling you to keep playing because its gets better trust me are leading you on if the story doesn't interest you at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cythereal posted:

Post MSQ
It didn't have to be. Emet explains that the shard imbalance effects any event of that nature, so the water aether might have just made the elemental's flood run rampant and catastrophic. In this case, though, three empires all developing magic of mass destruction and going to war? Sounds like Ascians. They even got the Machi to start tapping into their failed experiment, the 13th.

The ice calamity (5th) we know nothing about, but the aetheric imbalance may have just turned a regular winter into a fimblvetr.

Bahamut was darkness.

What we learn from Urianger's spiel about light and dark, is that light causes stagnation and the stopping of aether. Dark is the opposite.

When Bahamut was released, he caused a bit of localized destruction, but Eorzea and surrounding area's aether was completely hosed and went out of control. Ishgard is a perpetual winter. Mountains of aetheric crystals burst out of the ground. The Gridanian elementals lost most of their power. It was an aetheric calamity more than anything, which lines up with what we learned about the power of Darkness.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 14, 2019