Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Because You need 999 ABP to be able to dualcast?

grind in a good ap spot then, dont take random fights that suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

derra posted:

Why fight anything that isn't a boss? Time has Teleport, Return, and Comet (level independent damage). Gravity is not bad for trash if you insist on fighting, but just attempt running, Return if you fail to run for a bit, then try running some more.

Zeninage damage isn't level independent, and also costs money.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Cannoneer + Chemist is such a broken combo.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1142102835280134151

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1143277566767353856

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1146446066247753728

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1147588209238519808

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1149310826043645953

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1150136539172786176

Given that I'd never played this game before, it was great to see what each job could offer.

The only jobs I job faired were for the 5th run.

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1147607683329138689

E: uh is there a way to make the forums not parse my twitter URLs so that this doesn't take up the whole page?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Given that I'd never played this game before, it was great to see what each job could offer.

FFV newbie of the year, IMO.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

After farming in bal basement a bit, and settling on !throw on my summoner, most fights in w2 were: thief steals (or has !escape/!smoke to run away), ninja/sam attack the rare stuff that is going to live or if there is just one enemy, and then the summoner goes and 1-shots almost every encounter. Sometimes menu'ing to switch to thunder/fire rod as needed.

So moral of the story so far is that if you've got a magic class and pull ninja, give them throw and spend a tiny amount of money to absolutely blow a ton of things out of the water.

Then on bosses I also have the samurai use giltoss, and between that and duel twin lances on the ninja I really had no hints of trouble.

edit: At least on the snes version, double air blades don't appear to be any stronger than a single one. On one hand, boo, on the other hand, at least I don't need to choose between !throw on random encounters and air blade syldra on harder/bosses. Also my thief now can do damage!

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 14, 2019

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So I did stupid things over the last couple weeks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Cleans really well, but I bumped it and somehow it recreated the mess and started again?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

FeyerbrandX posted:

So I did stupid things over the last couple weeks.

Take Om Ni.

Take Ni Om

I'll REEEEE SEEEET
THIS BATTLE RIGHT NOOOOOOW

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

Run 2: Team A-Button (Knight/Mystic/Ranger/Ninja). Everyone was Lv 35 at the end. Really, the whole run was characterized by my party (a) having a bunch of sharp, pointy weapons, and (b) being able to take like five turns for each of the enemy's.

Did the Void once but had a lot of trouble on NED, so I went back out and grabbed the Chicken Knife and powered it up, and that basically fixed the problem. I Break Bladed that one part of NED and Rapid Fired the rest, over and over. Basically, once the second part fell, the others did pretty much right after. But not before the last part got pissed and Meteored everyone but Krile. I either had to try to revive and rebuild the team, or to take my chances and hope the last part was down enough that she could finish the job in one last go. And, well, she finished the job. That scrappy lil' girl did it. I've got a hat to eat.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Huh, interesting. Does that mean Chemist buffs running out when you switch weapons was also fixed?
Nope, still happens (Elemental Power/Magic Element Up for the 1st player is 0x0201EC06 set to 80, I didn't bother checking Resists. 0201EBDC is the one you can check with elemental equipment and changes on that !Mix [I'd have to look how it checks it but it's not important, I think it just skips it]).

ZypherIM posted:

edit: At least on the snes version, double air blades don't appear to be any stronger than a single one.
It triggers a flag (it's bitwise) so you either have the bonus or you don't.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Third run down. This one was kind of tedious. I barely used !Catch at all, just cometed or rodded everything to death. Not super tough but slow enough to be annoying.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Aerdan posted:

:toxx: 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. :toxx:

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

Run 5 down just in time for Awful Summer Jam 2019! That makes every class and the RNG was nice enough to give me all Triple Crowns, too! I've mentioned it before but I've been wanting to do that since like the second year I've participated, so I'm very thankful for the incentive to pull it off! There's a few other things I want to do (including a Randomizer run) so I'm not quite done with FFV yet!

Job Fair tweets.
Total Job Fair amount: $18

OMG, poor Shinryu. Just keep missing on the Knight and eating Sword Dances. I think technically it hit Blink(1) off once.

I didn't bother figuring out that the Status Equipment glitch didn't work before I finished but thankfully I got this after quite a few tries. No Dancer shenanigans here, everyone used Thundagas on reflected Searches. Black Mage had Equip Shield for the Fire Shield and Maelstroms caused many wipes (didn't bother shield swapping because Black Mage's speed was a problem and I'd occasionally miss the reflect in time. I did swap dagger to a Thunder Rod and back though). 4x reflected Thundagas does a ton of damage so this was about the 3rd or 4th reflect pattern due to healing and whatnot.

Sword Dances (and Flare plus an ending Magic Lamp) made short work of Neo Exdeath, along with a Ribbon and two Aegis Shields.

With this party I could also kill the True Superboss:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Run 3: Knight, Thief, Ninja, Chemist

Power Rod, followed by slowly plinking him to death while using !Image and the Genji Shield. Easy.

Hit him with Kiss of Blessing, then cover cheesed all his attacks while slowly chipping him down Scrolls for 2K a hit. Probably should have put Knight in the back to reduce damage if a hit came through between Guards (the added Haste on Kiss of Blessing is a bitch) but by the time I noticed I did not have the turns needed to swap rows.

Thanks, Enkibot.

Admittedly, I could have routed things out so that Ninja and Chemist had a magic job to back them up and boost scrolls/mixes, but Chemist can solo a run as it and I needed Knight/Thief/Ninja for a very important mission:

:black101:

Up next: Red Mage/Black Mage/Bard/Samurai

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, probably not doing that again.

Not because of Enuo, who for all his grandstanding turned out to be fairly manageable, but because the Sealed Temple itself is a tedious place to traverse. I don't know if Square lost all of its good level designers, if they rushed out the bonus content, or if there's simply no way to challenge high-level parties without it coming across like a grind. In any case, navigating a giant maze filled with repetitive and far too frequently occuring random encounters and containing lots of pointless treasure chests (Who gets excited about finding a Blitzshot?) is not my idea of fun. Especially since you have to backtrack quite a few times to complete everything. The bosses were a decent challenge though.

None more than Neo Shinryu, who took me a few attempts. His insane speed (double-turning hasted characters) and varied attack pattern made it very hard to react. I initially tried !Combine for Slow Cannon, but Slow doesn't seem to really do anything in the fight, which makes me assume that every time Neo Shinryu switches from vulnerable to invulnerable, he loses the debuff. So I went with four Mixers instead. Once you have all buffs in place, it's just a matter of keeping your health up. The Force Shield was a great help too, until the dragon switched to physical attacks, at which point the Genji Shield and Mini combo guaranteed victory.

Speaking of the Force Shield, Omega Mark 2 was surprisingly disappointing. Aside from higher stats and the Barrier Change gimmick (which Cannoneers don't care about), he seemed to be an exact clone of the original one. Meaning I could apply the same strategy with no issues.

Class breakdown:

Thief was mandatory of course, but even if you didn't require Sprint, I'd still want one for the bonus dungeon. The combination of a guaranteed escape skill and back attack prevention cuts down on the tedium by a lot. I probably wouldn't have presevered if I had to fight everything in my way. And since !Mix and !Combine don't care much about your stats, the Thief was an excellent support unit as well.

The Beastmaster was the other required class and probably the weak link of the team. !Release at this stage only helped through releasing Crystelles for Mighty Guard, and !Control is generally too slow to help in random encounters. Still, I made good use of the Dragon Whisker in the Neo Shinryu fight, and even in the worst case the class was still doing okay with !Combine.

Chemist is easily the strongest class to have for the bonus bosses, and probably the only one that allows you to clear Neo Shinryu at a sub-50 level, barring some Freelancer shenanigans. Double HP, Protect, Shell, Haste, Reflect, Death Protection, and being able to reach level 99 was extremely important in most fights. I could also cheese Archeodemon by casting Reflect on him and Lifeshield on my party, rendering his entire gimmick moot.

As for Cannoneer, I think you could make the case for it being the best fourth class to take into the Sealed Temple. The Summoner gives you better defensive options through Golem and Carbuncle, the Time Mage more actions through Quick, but the Cannoneer has both excellent damage when combined with a Chemist and the only reliable way to slow. The ability to equip Shields (particularly the amazing Force Shield) also shouldn't be underestimated.

Now I don't know if I should attempt the Cloister of the Dead. I've never done it before, and a boss rush mode sounds like fun, but I'd probably have to farm some more monster ingredients, and I'm honestly kind of done with this team.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Run number two, complete!

Aerdan posted:

I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

No context allowed for foreign language runs, the only kind I can tolerate.

Big thanks to the thread for help on this. My Thief-Mystic Knight-Ninja-Samurai Upgrade team was only just barely able to scrape by this fight. I belatedly realized that the Gengji Helm protected from Confuse too, but not Blaster. Ah well. Rare steals are...obnoxiously tedious, but not exactly impossible.

Speaking of which, I decided to try and grind for Mirage Vests anyway- gave up in disgust after an hour of not getting any and just went back. Very first try, I win, to my great shock. I didn't think I was even getting close because Shinryu wasn't hitting me with Zombie Breath under 20,000 HP. This one also goes for the last survivor toxx pledge, but I couldn't find that one in the second post and it might be closed now? I don't remember. Mine definitely isn't though. I think two people announced they're trying for it? No Krile playthrough, if you really want the challenge.

After all that NeoExdeath was stupidly anticlimactic. Like, why even bother with with Break Sword and Magic Lamp when GP Toss takes him down so fast anyway? Being level 43 might have had something to do with that of course.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't know which I like better.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Samuel Clemens posted:

None more than Neo Shinryu, who took me a few attempts. His insane speed (double-turning hasted characters) and varied attack pattern made it very hard to react. I initially tried !Combine for Slow Cannon, but Slow doesn't seem to really do anything in the fight, which makes me assume that every time Neo Shinryu switches from vulnerable to invulnerable, he loses the debuff. So I went with four Mixers instead. Once you have all buffs in place, it's just a matter of keeping your health up. The Force Shield was a great help too, until the dragon switched to physical attacks, at which point the Genji Shield and Mini combo guaranteed victory.

The thing is that Neo Shinryu is made of three parts; the part that you actually attack, the part that exists to eat Rapid Fire hits, and the part that attacks you.

It looked like Slow does nothing because while the part you attack is vulnerable to it, the part that actually attacks couldn't give less of a poo poo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

Run 5 down just in time for Awful Summer Jam 2019! That makes every class and the RNG was nice enough to give me all Triple Crowns, too! I've mentioned it before but I've been wanting to do that since like the second year I've participated, so I'm very thankful for the incentive to pull it off! There's a few other things I want to do (including a Randomizer run) so I'm not quite done with FFV yet!

Job Fair tweets.
Total Job Fair amount: $18

Five triple crowns with no duplicates is a nice touch.

Doom Goon posted:

:golfclap:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

2nd run done, more fun than the first. Rapid Fire Dual Wield Chicken Knife is a hell of a drug.

Project Demi is also delightful, I wish there were more hacks like this for old rpgs.

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Another Butes if that's still a thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aerdan posted:

I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

You got it, baby. (I forgot to get any screenshots of lines though)

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

Dragoon/Ranger/Samurai/Mime was definitely my 'hold A' team and hoooo boy did it take some farming to triple crown, thanks pyramid. I honestly expected to be 99 for the time I left it but 95 was good enough to eke out the Omega win.

NED died to :homebrew: pitifully quickly because his defense wasn't doing anything to mitigate Zeninage at that point.

Omega was a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I beat it accidentally and missed my first screenshot because I wasn't expecting that configuration to work. :argh: I ended up using Bone Mail to help protect my CK !Rapid Fire Krile, because she had the best damage output, !Jumping Bartz at first to keep safe from Encircles so he could soak later retaliations, and just... lucking out with Omega favoring its Mustard Bomb retaliation.

Shinryu just got blitzed as I wore Coral Rings and as many Fire Shields as possible. Almost as easy as NED, honestly.

edit: So Winner is a subset of Popular but... what exactly are the rules for a Winner run?

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 14, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Does Goblin Punch take the element of my weapon into account? I assume no?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
A winner run is always blue/time/summoner/white

Winner berserkerrisk replaces the time mage with a berserker

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MagusDraco posted:

A winner run is always blue/time/summoner/white

Winner berserkerrisk replaces the time mage with a berserker

Okay, thanks - couldn't find what it was on the 4JF site. Think I'll stick with Advance and Pure Chaos for now

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Does Goblin Punch take the element of my weapon into account? I assume no?

No. It's a magic attack with power determined by your weapon's base power.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PureChaos BestChaos

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

My current run is Blue Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist. Super powerful obviously, but aside from Blue Mage, I've had every class in this set at least twice already. Since Gilgabot didn't give me a single Geomancer in ten runs, I was thinking about switching it in for one of the other jobs. The question is: Which one to replace? I'd like to keep the Blue Mage, but got no strong preferences regarding the rest. Any suggestions?

BisbyWorl posted:

The thing is that Neo Shinryu is made of three parts; the part that you actually attack, the part that exists to eat Rapid Fire hits, and the part that attacks you.

It looked like Slow does nothing because while the part you attack is vulnerable to it, the part that actually attacks couldn't give less of a poo poo.

That makes sense, thanks. I guess !Combine is still nice for Dragon Cannon, but nowhere near as useful as I'd hoped.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
touch choice between time mage and bard. Bard will let you get to 99 magic for the strongest wind slashes/succs while time mage has quick and meteor and haste a little bit before you get hermes.

I mean no matter what you toss you can still triple crown so up to you

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mega64 posted:

PureChaos BestChaos

I have to admit that I am upset 'winner' had no randomness in it. This is going to be a trivial win.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So by now you’ve probably heard about the GBA version item duplication glitch, which doesn’t have that much relevancy for fiesta runs since you need ninja or chemist and a source of stealing or beastmaster (the latter being needed for the really crazy stuff like 255 Ragnarok or whatever)

That’s boring. How would you like to save a bit on grinding chemist ingredients and get access to effects Chemist *doesn’t* already do with Mix by itself? (Yes that’s actually possible!)
This is GBA only, sorry mobile players (SNES players have other glitches to shatter the game anyways)
Step 1: get into a battle. Make sure the very first slot in your inventory (top left most one) is empty since you’ll lose it if you aren’t careful
Step 2: when it’s the Mix user’s turn, go into the item menu into the top right most column and press the L button (the item screen should now be looking at your weapon and shield slots for that character). Press B to back out of the menu.
Step 3: go into the mix menu and immediately back out of it with B
Step 4: go back into the item menu and swap the upper right item with the upper left item slot. If you had an item in the upper left item slot it will now disappear, but you can just swap again to get it back and then go back to your weapon and shield slots to fix the bug so you can move the items in question somewhere else. If you didn’t have anything in the item slot, nothing will appear to happen, so now you can go to the weapon and shield slots to fix your buggy item menu.
Step 5: that empty slot isn’t just nothing, it is 256 copies of nothing that are valid for Mix purposes! Go into the mix menu and mix away with your nothing.

So here’s what you can get by mixing with absolutely nothing!
Anything not mentioned here is a duplicate of another mix. Bear in mind that which item is selected first actually does matter, unlike with normal Mix usage (Nothing + anything is Dragon Cannon, for instance)

Nothing + Nothing: Dragon Cannon
215 ATK single target non elemental damage. All combine results you can get out of this still use the damage formula for Cannoneer’s combine results (level*level/256 +4), meaning that boosting level with Samson’s Might or Dragon Power is resulting in absurd quadratic scaling. Dragon Cannon specifically has double multiplier against Dragon type enemies, and with Dragon Blessing you can make any enemy into a dragon to tear them apart incredibly quickly.

Hi Potion + Nothing: Power Cannon
200 ATK, inflicts Berserk. You can skip Neo Exdeath with this if this finishes off the Tree form, and anything else with reaction scripts can be circumvented in this fashion (notably including Omega’s counterattacks, or Omniscient’s Reset)

Ether + Nothing: 30th Floor
Plays the cry of Syldra and a blackened version of the spellblade animation. Seems to do nothing, but will test further.

Eye Drops + Nothing: Quake Cannon
220 ATK, Earth element. Can be boosted with the Elemental Power mix or with the appropriate equipment (i.e Gaia robes)

Maiden’s Kiss + Nothing: Storehouse
Plays the scratch attack animation used by some enemies. Is the same as Holy mechanically (241 spellpower, single target, magic damage formula, can be reflected, Holy element). Can be boosted with the Elemental Power mix or with the appropriate equipment (I.e Sage’s Staff). Because Chemist wasn’t already broken enough, you now have the single best single target attack spell in the game available to you but better (since Silence doesn’t stop you from using it and the cost is much lower than MP would have been)

Holy Water + Nothing: Float
Not actually what it advertises at all; plays the Tidal Wave animation followed by the Megaflare animation. If the target is wielding a valid weapon, it is imbued with Thunder Spellblade (the basic one, not Thundara or Thundaga). Basically means more damage against Omega with physical attacks if you don’t have mystic knight.

In conclusion, ahahahaha Mix wasn’t already broken enough huh

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Mega64 posted:

PureChaos BestChaos

I will keep saying it forever, Pure Chaos Advance would be wonderful but in the meantime Pure Chaos is def the best

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, probably not doing that again.

Not because of Enuo, who for all his grandstanding turned out to be fairly manageable, but because the Sealed Temple itself is a tedious place to traverse. I don't know if Square lost all of its good level designers, if they rushed out the bonus content, or if there's simply no way to challenge high-level parties without it coming across like a grind. In any case, navigating a giant maze filled with repetitive and far too frequently occuring random encounters and containing lots of pointless treasure chests (Who gets excited about finding a Blitzshot?) is not my idea of fun. Especially since you have to backtrack quite a few times to complete everything. The bosses were a decent challenge though.

Speaking of the Force Shield, Omega Mark 2 was surprisingly disappointing. Aside from higher stats and the Barrier Change gimmick (which Cannoneers don't care about), he seemed to be an exact clone of the original one. Meaning I could apply the same strategy with no issues.

Class breakdown:

Thief was mandatory of course, but even if you didn't require Sprint, I'd still want one for the bonus dungeon. The combination of a guaranteed escape skill and back attack prevention cuts down on the tedium by a lot. I probably wouldn't have presevered if I had to fight everything in my way. And since !Mix and !Combine don't care much about your stats, the Thief was an excellent support unit as well.

The Beastmaster was the other required class and probably the weak link of the team. !Release at this stage only helped through releasing Crystelles for Mighty Guard, and !Control is generally too slow to help in random encounters. Still, I made good use of the Dragon Whisker in the Neo Shinryu fight, and even in the worst case the class was still doing okay with !Combine.

Chemist is easily the strongest class to have for the bonus bosses, and probably the only one that allows you to clear Neo Shinryu at a sub-50 level, barring some Freelancer shenanigans. Double HP, Protect, Shell, Haste, Reflect, Death Protection, and being able to reach level 99 was extremely important in most fights. I could also cheese Archeodemon by casting Reflect on him and Lifeshield on my party, rendering his entire gimmick moot.

As for Cannoneer, I think you could make the case for it being the best fourth class to take into the Sealed Temple. The Summoner gives you better defensive options through Golem and Carbuncle, the Time Mage more actions through Quick, but the Cannoneer has both excellent damage when combined with a Chemist and the only reliable way to slow. The ability to equip Shields (particularly the amazing Force Shield) also shouldn't be underestimated.

Now I don't know if I should attempt the Cloister of the Dead. I've never done it before, and a boss rush mode sounds like fun, but I'd probably have to farm some more monster ingredients, and I'm honestly kind of done with this team.

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Great write-up, and I definitely got a kick out of all of your experimentation in the Discord!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Maiden’s Kiss + Nothing: Storehouse
Plays the scratch attack animation used by some enemies. Is the same as Holy mechanically (241 spellpower, single target, magic damage formula, can be reflected, Holy element). Can be boosted with the Elemental Power mix or with the appropriate equipment (I.e Sage’s Staff). Because Chemist wasn’t already broken enough, you now have the single best single target attack spell in the game available to you but better (since Silence doesn’t stop you from using it and the cost is much lower than MP would have been)

But especially the forbidden technique Storehouse.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

the Orb of Zot posted:

In conclusion, ahahahaha Mix wasn’t already broken enough huh

:stare:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, Neo Shin is a coding nightmare, but the short form of it is that you were only slowing the part that swaps the main 'body' with the Rapid Fire dummy. So by slowing it, you actually make the fight harder for yourself.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Oh right I probably should do my victory post while I’m here
Winnerrisk yadda yadda yadda

I just did Shinryu on the way to Necrophobe without saving because it wasn’t even a challenge. Whoops.

Omega required grinding to level 40 or so and like 70 minutes of waiting on the successful attempt for him to reflect Search onto himself so I could slightly damage him. It sucked and took ages and I hated it but it was also incredibly easy since the only actual risk was Maelstrom shenanigans ruining me

Neo Exdeath got off exactly one Almagest that immediately got healed from White Wind before that piece died horribly and the Grand Cross piece didn’t even fire Grand Cross off once before it got killed. What a loving joke I thought, this team is just too powerful!

so I too, did Sealed Temple
I only switched to Beastmaster for the one required catch and only switched to Thief for the waterfall; neither gained any job levels at all. Outside of that, it was just the winnerrisk jobs.

Gil Turtle did a grand total of zero damage to the party before dying and thus doesn’t even get the honor of a picture. Thanks Golem!

Grand Aevis did some zombie stuff before Bahamut spam and boosted Holy tore it apart.

So you know that Omega Mk2 has the weakness swapping gimmick between fire, ice, and lightning, right? And you know how Atomic Ray is reflectable? Having it reflect Atomic Ray off your entire party while it’s fire weak is 9999 damage. Unironically easier and less time consuming than regular Omega, somehow.

So you know how this team is almost entirely based around magic outside of a berserker stuck dealing with dummy targets? And you know how Neo Shinryu casts Mute once he drops below 20k HP?
Thank god for having blink on everyone and Golem before that point and just emptying the lamp and breaking rods and in general doing everything I could do to force that last 20k damage through, because holy poo poo that’s absolutely horrid to deal with and even with a team this absurdly broken it took me an asine number of attempts to pull off. I did do a for fun test with a zombified beastmaster with a reflect ring, the fire lash, and a hiding bard and turns out that can cheese the fight despite common belief it can’t.

Archeodemon exploded to Bahamut spam while every single attack he made either did nothing (Curse) or just reflected into his face for more damage (Flare, Mega Flare) except for Drain Touches and I think one Meteor maybe?

Guardian exploded without doing much of anything thanks to constant AOE nukes and boosted Holy.

Enuo was basically difficulty wise for this team what NED would have been to a normal
party, maybe a bit harder. Actually having to deal with Grand Cross, instant death and zombie counterattacks, 2k damage Almagest through Shell, Dimension Zero being Vacuum Wave on steroids, permanent Protect and Shell once I hit phase 2, and an AI script that actually frequently took breaks from hammering me with hard attacks to use much less relevant stuff like level 2 Old or Drain Touch so the party could catch a breather and get everything back together after some bad luck. Pretty fun fight all in all.

In conclusion, Sealed Temple is a goddamn Hellmaze and you’re better off just using codes to fight the bosses rather than actually navigate it (do make sure to fight Exorays so you can see why I wiped to those more than anything but Omega Mk2 or Neo Shinryu, and do fight a Hades since he’s basically a boss as a random encounter statwise). It was fun because this team is broken as hell (although not broken enough to handle Neo Shinryu without serious luck), but I would not recommend doing it unless you are willing to accept a slog of random encounters that at least help level you enough to handle the bosses and incredibly evil geometry.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mad props for doing it on actual hardware. Sealed Temple without a fast-forward button sounds like hell. What were your levels by the end?

MagusDraco posted:

touch choice between time mage and bard. Bard will let you get to 99 magic for the strongest wind slashes/succs while time mage has quick and meteor and haste a little bit before you get hermes.

I mean no matter what you toss you can still triple crown so up to you

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll probably keep Chemist because it lets you do some funky stuff with !Blue. Between Time Mage and Bard, Bard might be more fun, if only for Apollo's Harp shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Enuo is generally just a joke by the time you get to him, FJF or no. He's got Almagest and Grand Cross, sure, but he's only got 3 parts and like 60k HP per the two sections. Have a defense against zombie, maybe some Coral Rings or Sandals. Hit him.

e: also iirc you need to have a Beastmaster to get to Enuo anyway!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 14, 2019