Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

300 hours later in the content everybody is loving and telling you to wait for you will still almost entirely be walking around and talking to npcs and going to specific spots where mobs spawn to kill and delivering items to people who need them. The story and world and context are what make the game so good.

Speaking for myself of course but I've never liked mmo combat and even if the music and visual splendor and dance dance revolution dodging of aoes are exciting and fun for me the actual act of press button combat in the game is tedium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
yeah, the leveling gameplay is mostly a substrate for the story and the set pieces like dungeons and boss fights — if the story doesn’t grab you because you’re turned off by the questing cycle then you probably won’t want to stick with it since it is fundamentally more of the same at higher levels, just with more abilities and more complex enemies to fight

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Hey no one told me the game gives you 15 days of playtime when you reach level 30. :3:

That’s only on preferred worlds. I made an alt on one of those and leveled it up to 28 and then forgot about it. By the time I’d remembered the world wasn’t preferred anymore. :negative:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

The Chairman posted:

yeah, the leveling gameplay is mostly a substrate for the story and the set pieces like dungeons and boss fights — if the story doesn’t grab you because you’re turned off by the questing cycle then you probably won’t want to stick with it since it is fundamentally more of the same at higher levels, just with more abilities and more complex enemies to fight

Part of the problem is that the story doesn't get better or interesting until later (mid 40s for me personally). I don't think anyone is being deceptive or trying to lead anyone on by recommending someone stick with it at least through ARR. While the fetch quests don't get better, everything else does.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if someone has only played for 3-4 20-minute periods, less than two hours in-game it is definitely not manipulative to suggest that the story gets significantly better than what they've seen. if they were asking that same question during the 2.X hell grind it'd probably be a different story but saying "if you arent into the story by level 10 its safe to say you never will be" is silly.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, it takes ff14 quite a while to up in complexity in pretty much every part of the game. I do agree that 35 trial is usually the part that helps you tell if you are going to dig the game, neat stuff does keep happening later on too, and heavensward does some incredibly cool stuff, but it takes a lot of the setup from all of the previous plot to be as cool as it is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

if someone has only played for 3-4 20-minute periods, less than two hours in-game it is definitely not manipulative to suggest that the story gets significantly better than what they've seen. if they were asking that same question during the 2.X hell grind it'd probably be a different story but saying "if you arent into the story by level 10 its safe to say you never will be" is silly.

If something already doesn't hold your attention you'll just make yourself more bored and frustrated trying to force it. The game is a ginormously long game now and even getting halfway through the original realm reborn story is a large time commitment.

The level 35 trial is a good thing for that reason. Life's short and theres so many games and other hobbies to invest in if a single game isn't doing it for you thats okay.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 14, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Minrad posted:

How many years have I waited for this moment...

For the one that stood alone against this fishing window...

For the one they called....

The Ruby Dragon...

*shadowbringers chorus kicks in with man yelling WE FIIIISH*

New Diadem where we fish up monsters and then switch to our combat jobs to fight them.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Emet-Selch was right

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

Emet-Selch was right

Only on the fundamental level that chopping up the world was a net bad. The mass death and destruction inherent to his solution is a problem and we'd be better served by looking for a way that didn't do that and also addressed the problems of Ascian-tier crafting that led to their apocalypse in the first place. Though I guess they were trying to do that with Zodiark?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

super sweet best pal posted:

Only on the fundamental level that chopping up the world was a net bad. The mass death and destruction inherent to his solution is a problem and we'd be better served by looking for a way that didn't do that and also addressed the problems of Ascian-tier crafting that led to their apocalypse in the first place. Though I guess they were trying to do that with Zodiark?

I agree with you I just liked him as a character honestly, one of the better villains they've ever done. I'm sad to see him gone.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My mandatory daily announcements that I've been slacking on in the thread because seriously who has time for this thread when you're playing ShB

:siren: Tanks, Arm's Length is a powerful trash pull mitigation cooldown. 15s of 20% SLOW on mobs. That's auto attacks and abilities both. :siren:

And the second big one. I changed this minor bit on my UI when I started playing a few months ago and it's the best drat change I've made period. Move the enemy cast bar under your feet. Odds are good you spend most of the fight looking at your bars, or the ground around you for aoes. Put the cast bar where your eyes are anyway. It doesn't matter for general overworld nonsense, but it's great on bosses. Also makes interrupting super trivial, but mostly I just appreciate the extra warning time for boss mechanics, especially on EX Trials.

System -> Hud Layout -> Click Target Info (enemy health bar up top by default) -> Click the configure cog -> Display Target Info Independently. Drag/resize to a position of your liking.

That's my PSA for the day (month), back to the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

victrix posted:

That's my PSA for the day (month), back to the game.

Don't use light skin you deviant.

The rest of the advice is good though.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Light skin is thematically appropriate for this expansion

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Light mode is great. I switched just to check it out and was immediately converted.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mulva posted:

As a side note on rejoinings and the 13th: We know multiple people from the 13th, including their Warrior, and it's entirely possible there are more out there. It's entirely possible when they saw the 13th was going to be lost they just grabbed the souls they cared about.

who’s the Warrior from the 13th?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Badger of Basra posted:

Unukalhai. the guy from the warring triad quests

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Unukalhai, from the Warring Triad storyline, is basically a Luneth from a FFIII where the Cloud of Darkness got loose years before he was adventuring age.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Re: the 13th My pet theory is that the ascians are counting on the 12fold source being able to take all of the aether of the 13th. Obviously the complete source was able to contain everything, so they might figure that the problem they caused in the 13th is too much dark aether for the baby source to take at once.

Although really it seems like they’re just wingin it on that one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hogama posted:

Unukalhai, from the Warring Triad storyline, is basically a Luneth from a FFIII where the Cloud of Darkness got loose years before he was adventuring age.

Kurieg posted:

Unukalhai. the guy from the warring triad quests

This isn't correct.

The Warrior from the 13th knows him, but is actually the last member of Ardbert's adventurer crew Cyella, the elven woman who also was the Shadowkeeper. She was the one who failed the 13th and she comes to the 1st in an attempt to stop the Flood of Light by creating-and-then-killing the Warriors of Light and whoops they accidentally succeed and also kill two Ascians in the process.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Post msq revelation: We can't be tempered by Hydaelyn because we are her mother/father/creator.

Zenos is going to eat Darkdad and we are going to fuse with Lightmom to have the ultimate animu battle. I wouldn't be surprised if we and the arena became cosmic in size with the source and the other shards depicted as small orbs in the background. This would also be the perfect time for XIV to put its spin on super nova.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tekne posted:

Post msq revelation: We can't be tempered by Hydaelyn because we are her mother/father/creator.

(post-MSQ) The Ascians made Zodiark, but that didn't keep them from being tempered. If we aren't tempered, then it's likely because a desire for control or power over others wasn't part of the original conception of Hydaelyn, in much the same way as how Shiva never appears to do any tempering because Ysayle's personal conception of Shiva - and one subsequently adopted by the heretics - is that she's a liberator and peacemaker, not a ruler.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I’m playing the free trial as a conjuror - is the only upper-level class I can play really a white mage/healer? I’m at 11 or so, can I change to a different class now? I hated playing healer in WoW and while it hasn’t been bad so far I reaaaaally don’t want to get stuck in that role if I end up purchasing the full game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just ran Holminster Switch as whm. The tank single pulled and never used any cooldowns at all. I did the majority of the damage on trash pulls and nobody died unless they stood in poo poo during a boss fight. I even rescued one out of eating poo poo the same way a second time. Nobody else said a word other than the blm who asked for bigger pulls once.

No comms.

Now there's the LLDR I remember.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Labes for days posted:

I’m playing the free trial as a conjuror - is the only upper-level class I can play really a white mage/healer? I’m at 11 or so, can I change to a different class now? I hated playing healer in WoW and while it hasn’t been bad so far I reaaaaally don’t want to get stuck in that role if I end up purchasing the full game.

you can switch classes at any time! and yes, each class is locked to a single job/role - the only exception to this is Arcanist, which unlocks both a healer job and a caster dps job (scholar and summoner)

edit: if you're brand new you might have to wait until level 15 or so to unlock the other starting cities first, it's been so long I can't remember the details.

edit 2: acception is not a word

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 14, 2019

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Labes for days posted:

Once you hit level 10 you can join the other guilds and learn the other classes. In Gridiania you can also be a Lancer and Archer but ultimately you can learn every single class/job on that character.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Labes for days posted:

you can change your clasd to whatever you want, whenever you want. You may need to unlock it, but you are never locked out of any options for good. And this might be obvious but you keep your levels when you switch classes.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Vermain posted:

(post-MSQ) The Ascians made Zodiark, but that didn't keep them from being tempered. If we aren't tempered, then it's likely because a desire for control or power over others wasn't part of the original conception of Hydaelyn, in much the same way as how Shiva never appears to do any tempering because Ysayle's personal conception of Shiva - and one subsequently adopted by the heretics - is that she's a liberator and peacemaker, not a ruler.
Yeah, what I meant is I don't think our original Amaurotine self and allies would create a god that's just an alignment-shifted Zodiark. Hydaelyn's favorite line is "hear, feel, think" not "submit to the light". She may have not been completely upfront about her/our role in the scheme of things, but the last thing I expect from this game is the tired rear end we're the baddies poo poo.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Labes for days posted:

as has been said, you can change your class pretty much any time except in combat. specifically, this is available upon completing your level 10 class quest and unlocking the "armoury system." you can refer to this list for other things that become available as you level https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tekne posted:

Zenos is going to eat Darkdad and we are going to fuse with Lightmom to have the ultimate animu battle. I wouldn't be surprised if we and the arena became cosmic in size with the source and the other shards depicted as small orbs in the background. This would also be the perfect time for XIV to put its spin on super nova.

Somehow, It seems like this cutscene has already been datamined.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Live Free posted:

And this might be obvious but you keep your levels when you switch classes.

To be more clear you keep your levels in that job. Leveling to 20 on Conjurer and switching to Thaumaturge doesn't mean you start a level 20 THM, it just means you'll still be level 20 when you go back to Conjurer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I really appreciate in Shadowbringers is how none of the MSQ trial fights feel shoehorned in. It's pretty standard now that we'll get two trials plus a final boss trial with each expansion, and I really felt like they were straining a bit to fit two primal trials in Stormblood (Susano felt kinda thrown in, especially). This time, the trials felt like extremely natural parts of the story, with lots of build-up and fun surprises involved.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
They should compress 1.0 and 2.0 into one expac, so you'd have slower 25 levels until Dalamud and then 25 more levels until the Praetorium.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
FFXIV's ARR experience would be a lot better for new players if it just ditched all the fetch and fedex quests. That's it!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Note Block posted:

FFXIV's ARR experience would be a lot better for new players if it just ditched all the fetch and fedex quests. That's it!

Reconnecting all those quests would be a major undertaking.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Reconnecting all those quests would be a major undertaking.

Yes, and it should still be done.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tekne posted:

She may have not been completely upfront about her/our role in the scheme of things, but the last thing I expect from this game is the tired rear end we're the baddies poo poo.

Here's something to think about (post-MSQ spoilers ahoy): I don't think she was necessarily lying beforehand when she said that Zodiark and her used to exist in perfect harmony together before, and that an irreconcilable split drove them apart. I don't think Emet-Selch is lying, either, but both of them are omitting the other's details. Isn't it peculiar that attempting to manifest the supposed "will of the star" only created a purely dark-aspected being, in a universe where the need for aetheric balance is repeatedly hammered home?

My running theory is that Hydaelyn and Zodiark actually existed before they were properly engendered, living in the idea space of the Interdimensional Rift, and that Zodiark, for whatever reason, endeavored to gain power in real space. I speculate that the Amaurotians depended on a connection to the idea space of the Rift for their creation magic (similar to the Platonic realm of forms), which allowed Zodiark to exert influence over the process of creation. By calling a creator's deepest fears up as the creator accessed the Rift, their subsequent creation became a malformed representation of deepest horror, something that would psychically reflect on other Amaurotians and warp their creations, creating the crisis of the Final Days. The Ascians decided to create a being that could reshape the world. In doing so, they were forced to reach into the Rift for the purest form of power and control they possibly could, and what they necessarily ended up getting was Zodiark.

I think that the Echo is a remnant that results from having touched an idea as pure and as powerful as Zodiark or Hydaleyn, leaving a lasting connection to the Rift. It explains a lot about the Echo's power: you can see the past and predict the future because you have access to a timeless realm of pure thought; you can rescue your soul from death by shunting its existence into the Rift until you find a new host; you can resist the influence of primals because you've already borne witness to an idea more powerful and pure than them; and you can hijack primals (like Zenos, Ysayle, and Thordan do) because they're only thought-forms, something that you have a direct connection and control over.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Tekne posted:

Yeah, what I meant is I don't think our original Amaurotine self and allies would create a god that's just an alignment-shifted Zodiark. Hydaelyn's favorite line is "hear, feel, think" not "submit to the light". She may have not been completely upfront about her/our role in the scheme of things, but the last thing I expect from this game is the tired rear end we're the baddies poo poo.
Is it really more (MSQ spoilers) tired rear end than Zodiark turning out to be the sinister laughing big bad villain of darkness? A big theme of this entire expansion was casting doubt on preconceived notions. The light isn't just a force of good; a deluge of light is just as bad as a flood of darkness, the conflict between Zodiark and Hydaelyn being more complicated than we thought, Ascian tempering etc. If Zodiark can temper the ascians then there's probably good reason to examine what exactly Hydaelyn is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It feels weirdly arrogant but as someone who has played White Mage 90% of his time in this game, leveling a DPS and seeing the kinds of healers you get has made me appreciate my own healing more.

You're level 74, have you LOOKED at the damage of Afflatus Misery, please use your free instant Cure IIs that feed your nuclear explosions. At least cast more Assizes or Tetragrammatons or even a single Asylum! No don't spam 1 Cure stop it please I can't :negative: