Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is the erginus intro mission a time thing that you just wait out, or does he walk off after you've done x amount of damage? Same for when the giant armadillo comes in later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Damo posted:

is it just me or is the fencer just extremely op. it makes me wonder what the point of the ranger is when you could just have another fencer.

i always play ranger and my friend plays fencer. for a class whose upsides are 4 loving weapons that do devastating damage and give poo poo loads of options, 2 support slots, and the highest armor, while downsides are supposed to be "he slow" and "hard to aim precise" he sure seems to zoom around the map at mach 5, sometimes literally flying around -- just a million times more mobile than me. and, he is still able to aim precise as gently caress and destroy anything and everything way faster then me with his superior damage. he is always able and ready to take out any type of threat, or at least more prepared for anything than i could ever be with his 4 slots compared to my 2. he is always more ready to take out ships (super fast), any type of enemy, long range, short range, tank, evade trouble effortlessly, literally everything better than I can do. he practically never dies. if I bring one wrong weapon out of my 2 i am basically useless sometimes. seems like that class has actually no downside from my perspective.

it was like this in 4.1, it's still like this in 5. i mean ranger can still bring some stuff to the table but it seems useless in comparison. i was hoping that would have changed in 5 but the dynamic so far still seems to be there, even with the ranger buffs.

am i just bad or something? i really want to just play ranger, as the time i tried fencer i was immediately turned off. but it seems like , when i watch him do his thing, im just kicking myself in the dick for no reason. i honestly cant think of something i can do better than a fencer, other than call up vehicles now which i am not familiar enough with yet to factor in. he can do more damage from distance (like way loving further than my snipers), do more damage close up, do more damage to ships, more mobility, more survivability, better everything.

Fencers usually need some distance to work, they can run but they can't run and gun very well. Ranger is like the Sword and Shield from Monster Hunter, you need to actually bring the right tools.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm not sure what the point of the password-only game room is supposed to be. You can already make a room that only comes up for people on your friends list or people who search its exact name, so password rooms aren't doing anything but cluttering the pickup list like all those DONT JOIN OR KICK dipshits in 4.1.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 14, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still need to actually PLAY the remake despite buying it ASAP. But Ranger being my comfort zone keeps coming down to how solid they are at "You probably won't need to restart for a new weapon" and just the ultimate wingman all around.

Most Sniper rifles have reasonable ranges now, which means I have more ranges I can blow the leg then gun arm off a frog so wing divers and fencers have open season against them.

Shotguns all have penetration now (and don't all have the reload speed of frozen molasses). They are cool for you, and will also free that air raider being munched on ASAP. Or catch up to the above mentioned fencers and wing divers to give those alien bastards a shotgun surprise.

The new multi lock stacking accessory for rangers missile launchers is loving amazing :allears: (and has a tendency to pop both arms off alien soldiers real good no matter how much they dive roll). While rocket launchers do feel worse than 4.1 rocket launchers still have that very important trick of "Range = Draw distance" so you can destroy enemy spawners from a literal mile away on missions giving people trouble.

Everything I've always liked about rangers, can be turned towards making things better for teammates by proper application of firepower, and EDF5 made it even better at that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 14, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

Is the erginus intro mission a time thing that you just wait out, or does he walk off after you've done x amount of damage? Same for when the giant armadillo comes in later

I think it's always damage. Try to lead them to where NPC troops and vehicles can shoot them, they contribute a LOT of damage.

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
For the record, I am suggesting that the EDF shotguns go into the Shotgun Hall of Fame. It will sit next to the likes of DOOM's supershotty and Resident Evil's head popper as the most satisfying shotgun in gaming history. Nothing says I'm done with your Cosmonaught poo poo then jumping the Humanoid Aliens?! with 12 semiauto rounds into the chest and seeing them collapse before they can register the screams of the EDF.

Also sending Beta's into orbit is really fun. The only downside to the shotgun's at my point in this game is that some of the Big Anchors are out of reach and forces me to go into some of the missions with only one shotgun instead of two.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

My personal favourite was that one of the late stage shotguns looks like someone just took a whole lot of piping and jammed it into a far more delveloped mechanism to fire it, presumably with every pipe just firing a few really really big pellets. It feels like the wrath of god, too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

Playing in the goon discord is funny because it's always 3 people playing air raider and 1 person matrix dodging spritefalls

Turns out that while air raider is a lot of fun, he's also really rear end at taking out transport ships, or most things in the sky with most loadouts

Air Raiders are nearly useless against dropships/fortress weak points in this one. Limpets are almost universally trash and a waste of a slot to even bring and no airstrikes can hit them barring some wizardry with steering cruise missiles under and into the open hatch, which I've done precisely once in all of my time playing because of the ridiculous level of timing involved. Vehicles are your only answer and most vehicles struggle mightily to do it because of slow movement/aiming speeds and difficulty traversing their guns high enough.

I really miss EDF 4 letting Satellite Blasters/Bulge Lasers punch through and hit the thing while they were open.

The Shame Boy posted:

Any tips for an aspiring Air Raider? I played him a bit back in 4.1 but that was a while ago now and with 5 out i've got the urge to blow everything up again. Playing through Co-op with my brother as an Wing Diver.

Also are you suppose to be switching the difficulty up a bunch or not? We've been going though the majority of the missions on normal so far and not not having a ton of trouble. How much harder are the harder modes and is it good for weapon drops?

Welcome, friend, to the world of explosions. Air Raider in 5 is dramatically changed from previous versions of Air Raider for two reasons. First, they changed most of the machine gun/cannon air strikes to reload weapons instead of ticket cost weapons, meaning that they're now your primary offense. Second, all vehicles only start half loaded now, which means that vehicles are much less viable and important as your main source of damage output than they were in the past.

Your job in a team is pretty much to solve the biggest problem the mission presents to your team. Is the problem shitloads of frogs? Bring autocannons/150s/spritefalls and massacre them. Is the problem shitloads of bugs? Bring Phobos runs and mortars. Is the problem a kaiju? Bring neutralize cannons and a robot and shoot that monster in the dick. Whatever you're not specialized to deal with is largely your friends' problems because Air Raider loadouts are generally very specialized at doing what they do really well and not good at all at dealing with stuff they're not prepped for. You've also got the worst mobility in the game and are nearly defenseless when swarmed regardless of loadout, so, uh, work on your positioning!

A brief rundown of notable equipment:
  • Autocannons/Miniguns: The most important weapon in your arsenal and the closest thing to a general purpose weapon you've got. Reloads almost instantly, shreds small bugs, drones, frogs, pretty much anything it can consistently hit. As a bonus, it'll put frogs into stagger lock so they can't shoot while being riddled. It's not uncommon for me to bring my current level autocannon and the previous level autocannon and just alternate firing them because they're that good.
  • 150mm cannons: Pretty strong and spammable, think of this as kind of like a giant semi-auto sniper rifle. Really good for frogs and drones, a little slow for most bugs. Also decent for kaiju.
  • Neutralize Cannons: Like a 150 but fires a shotgun spray of smaller bullets instead of one big bullet. Mostly crap except it has insane output against kaiju types like Erginus because they're so big all the bullets will hit.
  • Spritefall: The best ticket-based call-in in the entire game. Goes exactly where you point it and basically murders everything in the AoE. It's good against everything in the game that it can hit; it wrecks anchors, frogs, bugs, drones who bumble into the radius, everything. It does huge rear end damage and also reloads super quickly. I bring a Spritefall to almost every single stage, and sometimes I even bring two.
  • Bulge Laser: Kind of sucks in this game, honestly, but it's very precise so it can sometimes be useful, and it reloads on time instead of tickets which can be a major factor.
  • Phobos/Kamui bombing runs: You get a lot of bombing runs, but Phobos/Kamui-related ones are unmatched and extremely useful. They can be placed very precisely and safely, do huge damage and splash, and kill giant hordes of bugs dead. I'll always bring one of these on maps that involve a concentrated zerg rush.
  • Mortar barrages/Howitzers: These can be situationaly super good at clearing out bug piles, but they're very hard to aim and have a significant delay before the barrage starts so they require practice to get good with.
  • Limpets: A weapon of last resort that you'll mostly use in caves. Most of them are utterly terrible, but it's pretty much your only direct fire option. Standouts are snipers with a decent reload speed(because only snipers will generally kill bugs quickly), the Limpet Chain Guns(actually fire enough small limpets to kill reliably), and the Limpet Detector(can fill an entire cave with bouncing shrapnel that actually shreds).
  • Support Stuff: Life vendors/spout guns are situationally very useful and I bring them a lot in caves. Guide Beacon Guns can be very fun when paired with the right vehicle or allies with certain weapons. The buff posts are more difficult to give up a slot for in most cases.
  • Turrets: Actually super good in this one, but I find they're most effective if you bring two packs of them and deploy them all at once. Really great in cave missions and my usual cave loadout is 2x turret and a limpet or a life post.

A rundown on notable vehicles:
  • Blacker series: Super reliable, cheap, no frills, and fast. These are a great "I don't know what to bring to this mission" choice and are also the premier way for you to get around the map at a decent rate for most of the game. Their guns tend to fall firmly in the "good enough, could be better" column. If you want your vehicle to kill a lot of stuff, Blackers aren't where you should look, but they do decently enough and are easy to use.
  • Naegling series: How the mighty have fallen. These lads used to be one of the best vehicles in 4 and 4.1, but not starting with your vehicle loaded in 5 makes them super tricky to use because they need to be placed far, far away from the battle to not die immediately. That said, if you can get one deployed in a safe spot, they're great missile bombardment vehicles with fantastic range and good damage against small targets. If you can get a guide beacon stuck to something important the Naegling becomes a single target murder engine, as well.
  • Depth Crawlers: Your only option for caves, but they're actually good vehicles in general in this one. Modest speed, has no issue with terrain, and generally has good firepower. Not a bad choice for general purpose use.
  • Nyx series: The Nyx series is the most important in your arsenal because they generally are the best at combat. That said, there's several Nyx sub families that work entirely differently despite appearing similar, so some delineation is needed.
    • Gen-purpose Nyxes: Great if you don't know what the hell to bring because they're good against every target and generally have good mobility.
    • Nyx Grenadiers: Generally good for killing walls of bugs with tons of explosions at the cost of speed and range; not great against bigger targets. Probably the least useful Nyx.
    • Nyx Red series: The fastest Nyx and specialized for close quarters, usually carrying flamethrowers and canister shot(read: giant shotgun) cannons. These are really good for fighting bugs as well, and the canister shot is actually usually pretty good at murdering bigger stuff as well. A good general purpose pick.
    • Nyx Buster Arms series: Usually featuring revolver cannons in the arms and howitzers in the shoulders, this thing moves like a drugged snail and can't turn to save its life but in exchange has utterly unmatched firepower and range and is thus indispensible. Probably the highest DPS vehicle the Air Raider has and unmatched at killing big scary targets like frogs/queens, but requires careful positioning because of its terrible mobility. Very, very important but situational.
    • Nyx Missile Gun series: Revolver cannons in the arms, missile pods in the shoulders; this thing is the best anti-aircraft vehicle in your arsenal and is super good at killing many other targets as well. Another good gen purpose pick.
  • Titan series: These have come a long, long way since their trash appearance in 4.1. Expensive to call in and slow as poo poo, but worth every penny. Titans have insane firepower in the form of a monstrously powerful Requiem Cannon in the main seat and side seats with guns generally on par with most other on-level vehicles. They also have a frankly ridiculous level of durability which means that they're largely immune to anything short of being swarmed by ants and spiders(which will kill you in almost any vehicle). The Titan is a great pick for almost any of the big setpiece open field battle missions.
  • Proteus: Just bring a Titan.
  • GIGANTIC UNLOADER BARGA: This game's giant punchy robot and much stronger than its venerable older brother the Balam. Absolutely massacres anything frog-size and up if it gets into range and has an almost bottomless pool of HP. The tradeoffs are that you are slow and you are helpless against flying enemies or being swarmed by bugs, but that's your friends' job. Important attacks are the uppercut(left, left, right) which knocks kaiju on their rear end, and the two charge up attacks which are really good at killing frogs/cosmos.

Have fun!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

lets hang out posted:

I think it's always damage. Try to lead them to where NPC troops and vehicles can shoot them, they contribute a LOT of damage.
They defeated Erginus after what felt like forever, but only after he knocked half of them around. Player 2 appeared and quickly wiped out the rest and my group wiped from his shotgun attacks. Erginus almost ran out the boundary on the opposite end and still had enough strength to come back for more. He was Barney colored for a long time.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Managed to fix my chat wheel.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have loadout suggestions for doing mission 109 as a lone Ranger (941 Armor)? I and the dozen or so NPCs still left keep dying to the floating purple laser cannons once I get to the final faster spinning ring around the ship after taking down transport ships, ground troops, the big cannon, all outer rings and both shields.
It's almost like the damage output doubles towards the end and I can't take out the whatever is shooting me fast enough. The entire mission up to that point works fine with my NPC deathball and I just rolling around and wiping things while I pick up the occassional health pack for them, but they just melt away in less than two minutes in that final phase.

I've mostly been trying the E9 Hornet rocket launcher and either the T1 Stork LS assault rifle or the Slaughter E22 GA shotgun as my weapons, with the Lightweight Protector E2 as support gear for running to/from health pickups or enemies faster.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So someone mentioned a goon discord for edf, where can i find that? The op is very old now so its still talking about 2025, as you would expect.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Zoig posted:

So someone mentioned a goon discord for edf, where can i find that? The op is very old now so its still talking about 2025, as you would expect.

https://discordapp.com/channels/597919023706931210/597919023706931214 but they're end-game so I'm not playing with them

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

parabolic posted:

Managed to fix my chat wheel.

Literally did this day 1 of 4.1 launch. Good work, soldier!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Air raider guard posts are actually super good if you know that you won't be leaving the immediate area and need to tank hits. Not really a typical situation, but incredibly helpful if mounted on your vehicle, or if you really need to keep an npc horde alive

Also the grape is a great vehicle this time around, mostly because air raider out of vehicle is so much better. You're spamming out so much firepower with your gunship calls and spritefalls that you don't really need a vehicle for offense, in which case something that lets you get around quickly and has an alright amount of health is very useful. Its gun kinda sucks but if you're on the move let's face it, you're not hitting much anyway, and if you're not on the move you can get out to kill stuff. It can kill ants ok and can stun lock a frog, it does its job. Very useful in single player, where the speed helps round you out a lot, and in mp still useful for when some idiot dies on the other side of the map (that idiot is definitely never ever me, I'm far too good at video games for that to happen), or you need some health pickups and all the pickups are next to frogs

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

Air raider guard posts are actually super good if you know that you won't be leaving the immediate area and need to tank hits. Not really a typical situation, but incredibly helpful if mounted on your vehicle, or if you really need to keep an npc horde alive

Also the grape is a great vehicle this time around, mostly because air raider out of vehicle is so much better. You're spamming out so much firepower with your gunship calls and spritefalls that you don't really need a vehicle for offense, in which case something that lets you get around quickly and has an alright amount of health is very useful. Its gun kinda sucks but if you're on the move let's face it, you're not hitting much anyway, and if you're not on the move you can get out to kill stuff. It can kill ants ok and can stun lock a frog, it does its job. Very useful in single player, where the speed helps round you out a lot, and in mp still useful for when some idiot dies on the other side of the map (that idiot is definitely never ever me, I'm far too good at video games for that to happen), or you need some health pickups and all the pickups are next to frogs

You can do all of that stuff that the Grape does with a Blacker and have a decent gun that actually traverses properly, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gamerofthegame posted:

is whale's gunner still really good

Oh my god yes it is.

e: wow I must've left this tab open a long time ago.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zoig posted:

https://discord.gg/FHbXFCt

We're getting more and more users in, including newbs, so stick around and tag yourself with the Looking for Bugs role to find some people your level.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

https://discord.gg/FHbXFCt

We're getting more and more users in, including newbs, so stick around and tag yourself with the Looking for Bugs role to find some people your level.

Thanks, trying to do coop with randos can sometimes be fun but usually is just mildly annoying.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zoig posted:

Thanks, trying to do coop with randos can sometimes be fun but usually is just mildly annoying.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What thread did that even come from, I've seen it in so many coop oriented game threads now.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Payday 2, I think

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Quicksilver6 posted:

Payday 2, I think

That context makes it make way more sense compared to seeing it related to warframe, a game where pubbies would have to actively try to not help. I don't think I have ever had a good public game of payday 2.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Do unlocks in single player carry over to online multiplayer?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Zoig posted:

That context makes it make way more sense compared to seeing it related to warframe, a game where pubbies would have to actively try to not help. I don't think I have ever had a good public game of payday 2.

There was a goon on the payday 2 development team and later on they made sure that when players got a customizeable safehouse, every stove you could have in the kitchen was "PUBSTOVE" brand.

Regrettably no option to press a button and slam your face on it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Little Mac posted:

Weapons and armor carry over. Actual mission progress does not. Yesterday I went back and did a bunch of missions in singleplayer to catch up to where I was in multiplayer with my friend group.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Little Mac posted:

armor and weapons, yes. mission progress, no.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
gently caress this particular spider (excuse the loud mic)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Took a break after coming across the mission where you fight several queens at once. That is really harsh with Normal weapons.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Took a break after coming across the mission where you fight several queens at once. That is really harsh with Normal weapons.

Which one? Cave invasion?

The safest place to fight a queen is either:

a) A billion miles away while the NPCs distract them or
b) Almost directly underneath them where the the acid spray jet is still narrow enough to avoid

Ideally in an open space so the acid doesn't bounce around and frag you like a Bound Gun

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Scalding Coffee posted:

Toast them with Napalm.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello, I have just bought this game after a recommendation in the Steam thread a few days ago. Did a few missions, am having fun, but one major question:

Single player and multiplayer progress is separated right? And multiplayer has a few more missions? Is there any con to me playing in multiplayer solo? Like just opening a room and playing it like a single player game, maybe locking it if I don't feel like having a rando jump in.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I can tell you for a fact that there is a heavy difference in the scale or rate in which monsters get stronger, between solo and MP. It gets harder a lot quicker in MP.

I could solo level 19 with relative ease (once I had a good strategy) on Hard/Solo, but me and my friends couldn't beat the first red ant level, together.

If that's okay with you, then there isn't really an issue, no.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you friend I have heard your words and I will run into the beautiful world of single player

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So the EMC is stupidly good on missions with Anchors.

Hop in, point at Anchor, pull trigger and hop out to deal with any bugs that got close while the tank continues to fire. Repeat one or two more times and it falls.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Hwurmp posted:

I'm not sure what the point of the password-only game room is supposed to be. You can already make a room that only comes up for people on your friends list or people who search its exact name, so password rooms aren't doing anything but cluttering the pickup list like all those DONT JOIN OR KICK dipshits in 4.1.

It doesn't really answer the question as to why they exist but you can filter rooms and hide all the lobbies locked with passwords so you don't have to look at them.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Anybody else getting constant freezes in EDF 5 pc? Works fine on my desktop but freezing constantly on my laptop. Did all the usual stuff like fresh install game and drivers, turn off all video options, and run in windowed mode.

Laptop hits the minimum specs so I’m really out of ideas

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Good Citizen posted:

Anybody else getting constant freezes in EDF 5 pc? Works fine on my desktop but freezing constantly on my laptop. Did all the usual stuff like fresh install game and drivers, turn off all video options, and run in windowed mode.

Laptop hits the minimum specs so I’m really out of ideas

Disable gsync if it has it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I love edf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Nalesh posted:

Disable gsync if it has it.

Oddly the pc has gsync forced on and has no issues and the laptop has all vsync forced off (and doesn’t even support gsync) and is the one having problems