Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

babypolis posted:

why is he so disliked?
among the media, because they're firmly on the side of Gov. Cuomo, who is constantly standing in his way for no real reason other than history. NYC journos are a bunch of entitled snobs who take everything personally and they've all decided that BdB is thumbing his nose at them at all times

among the citizens, that depends on who you ask. de Blasio is unpopular among white voters, fairly popular among black voters, and somewhere in between among hispanic voters. speaking from a left-wing perspective: while he's put some good things into law (universal pre-K, five sick days for everyone who works in NYC, banning credit checks as a condition of employment), he hasn't tackled the core issues of inequality. that's really come into focus regarding housing. he picked up where Bloomberg left off in using neighborhood rezoning as a way to usher in development that's actively harmful to its longtime residents. because Bloomberg mostly cleaned up Manhattan with this technique, BdB set his sights on the outer boroughs. most of the neighborhoods that have been rezoned have been neighborhoods that are poorer and black and/or Hispanic. his affordable housing program is laughable and is the result of rolling over to real estate, and that isn't getting into how he's handled the public housing system

on policing, he's a drat sight better than Bloomberg- he ended stop-and-frisk, decriminalized practically all marijuana possession (you get ticketed for any amount of weed that most people will carry, although i don't think i need to say which people have been ticketed the most), and even won a staring contest with the head of the largest police "union" early in his first term. but just like his economic inequality policies, it fails to go deep into the issue. "broken windows" policing, the finest example of "correlation does not equal causation," is still going strong, and he's very hesitant to speak out against police brutality if he does so at all

generally, he's better than your average incrementalist democrat, but still comes up woefully short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The mayor of New York City is always one of the most hated people in the country because 1) they get blamed for everything that sucks about NYC (and something always sucks) and 2) all the powerful and famous media people live in New York so they all have various personal grudges against the mayor.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

The mayor of New York City is always one of the most hated people in the country because 1) they get blamed for everything that sucks about NYC (and something always sucks) and 2) all the powerful and famous media people live in New York so they all have various personal grudges against the mayor.

yeah i do remember that matt christman had a good point about this other day that despite being one of the most powerful positions in the country, no NYC mayor has ever ascended to higher office

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
de blasio sucks

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cuomo sucking more and the New York media being bad does not make de blasio not suck

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
More like de Blowsio

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

im on the net me boys posted:

More like de Blowsio

shes gone from succ to blowsio!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

oh yeah, most people hate the mayor of NYC by default no matter who it is. rudy giuliani talks a big game about his post-9/11 popularity but he was widely reviled before then, and he honestly wasn't that well-liked after 9/11 either

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

didn't rudy guliani like totally gently caress up the emergency response system before 9/11

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

didn't rudy guliani like totally gently caress up the emergency response system before 9/11

he's directly responsible for a shitload of the first responder deaths thanks to beefing with the fdny and refusing to let them have radios that are able communicate within large structures

also after the wtc bombing attempt he moved the disaster hq there lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
remember when Rudy Guliani said we didn't have any terrorist attacks under G W Bush?

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

jib jab's bush vs kerry video

not that it was itself funny, but like, lol that it was made

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

dude I swear to god I was thinking about this like, maybe a month ago, and quietly lol’n

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've just remembered Anthony Weiner and Huma Abedin were groomed by top Dem eugenicists to breed a line of perfect Democratic aristocracy.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

every election since i’ve always seen cnn or whoever covering THE LATEST JIB JAB and i wonder if there’s a single person out there who gives a poo poo

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I've just remembered Anthony Weiner and Huma Abedin were groomed by top Dem eugenicists to breed a line of perfect Democratic aristocracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zKKVOwaDBY

watch to the end lol

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

every election since i’ve always seen cnn or whoever covering THE LATEST JIB JAB and i wonder if there’s a single person out there who gives a poo poo

"This Land" was a formative moment for a certain kind of personality that is overrepresented in political campaigning and reporting, and for almost no one else.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

I just seriously can't believe he let the cameras keep rolling

Everybody should watch the Weiner documentary

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
mitt romney and rick scott are currently senators

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

noted rapist donald trump is currently president

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

Rick Snyder was given a fellowship at Harvard

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

that time when less than 50,000 people in NYC lost power and the media breathlessly reported on it like it was the most important story in the world even though at the same time more than twice that many people in Louisiana had lost power and they got far less coverage.

oh wait that's right now lol

the thread going into a nyc tangent right after this post is pretty good

Comrayn has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Jul 14, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

speaking of guliani, when Time chickened out of giving bin laden the man of the year award and gave it to him instead.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

speaking of guliani, when Time chickened out of giving bin laden the man of the year award and gave it to him instead.

fitting considering which one was responsible for more deaths on 9/11

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Hillary Clinton had slaves.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

old.flv posted:

I just seriously can't believe he let the cameras keep rolling

Everybody should watch the Weiner documentary

I watch wiener documentaries all the time

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Oh, konnichiwa

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ralph Northram

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

StashAugustine posted:

Ralph Northram

he wanted to moonwalk

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Ralph Northram

he started the "who among us didn't do blackface" news cycle

Dec 26, 2012

Sticky Nate posted:

he started the "who among us didn't do blackface" news cycle

his lieutenant governor didnt! he was an alleged rapist instead

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

StashAugustine posted:

Ralph Northram

was he the one who couldn't remember if he was the one in blackface or in the KKK hood

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
yea

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Rex-Goliath posted:

they're still making more? lmao

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

JibJab did the video for Weird Al's CNR

https://youtu.be/xLnapb-30hA

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

really queer Christmas posted:

they're still making more? lmao

TheWeepingHorse posted:

JibJab did the video for Weird Al's CNR

https://youtu.be/xLnapb-30hA

I'm not contaminating my watch history with that, thanks

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

fitting considering which one was responsible for more deaths on 9/11

haha holy poo poo

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

the term """toxic asset""" and how it basically erased any trace of, or responsibility for, wrongdoing on the part of the banks that intentionally created them

and then that "this american life" did an episode about buying a """toxic asset""" and named it toxie jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

related to that: Rick Santelli having a not-at-all staged freakout on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange blaming bad homeowners for the financial crisis and that's why they shouldn't get any government assistance (although bailing out the banks was completely fine!). within minutes, dormant websites with domains registered months before with references to Tea Party and the like sprung to life

that shouldn't be a thing that people forget. Santelli should be dropped in Lake Michigan with cement shoes