Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

RareAcumen posted:

you'd think he was dead like Blast
WAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RareAcumen posted:

I like that as he's being punched he's still cutting.

Hopefully we get to see more of Drive/Engine Knight again too at some point. He's been out of this story so much you'd think he was dead like Blast or something.

Blast isn't' dead

THE SPIRIT OF JUSTICE CAN NEVER DIE.

Murata made the black sperm Atomic Samurai fight even cooler. And nice to see that Samurai is inflicting some real damage here... sadly he got cocky and punched

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blast either died years ago and they're covering it up or he's in a coma, this is three emergencies where he hasn't shown up once. :colbert: Who ever heard of a top hero that doesn't show up for any fights?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RareAcumen posted:

Blast either died years ago and they're covering it up or he's in a coma, this is three emergencies where he hasn't shown up once. :colbert: Who ever heard of a top hero that doesn't show up for any fights?

Watchdog Man might as well not exist for anything outside of City Q. King never responds to any summons to fight.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

OPM is just what's going on in Japan in the Venture Bros. world. "Blast" was Brock Samson on vacation.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Blast is just Saitama again, back when he was weaker and had spiky black hair.

Just like how Saitama's accomplishments were attributed to King.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 14, 2019

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

dipwood posted:

I was gonna respond but then I realized this is the manga thread.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RareAcumen posted:

This isn't an emergency big enough to call Blast, apparently.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wanna see the heroes who would be in S class if handsomely masked sweet mask didn't deny them for whatever petty reason

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I'm pretty sure Blast is just Saitama while he still had hair

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Reallycoolname posted:

I'm pretty sure Blast is just Saitama while he still had hair

Hasn't it been confirmed already that they're not?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

This isn't an emergency big enough to call Blast, apparently.

Neither was the alien invasion apparently.

I'm just sitting here getting really frustrated with Blast's precognition keeping out of all these fights so far.

skaianDestiny posted:

Watchdog Man might as well not exist for anything outside of City Q. King never responds to any summons to fight.

That's still more than we've seen of the top S-class hero so far and King's got a reputation to protect or else an angry tomato monster's gonna destroy him.

dipwood posted:

Last we heard of him that wasn't Elder Centipede talking about their battle 25 years ago was back in chapter 85

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

I wanna see the heroes who would be in S class if handsomely masked sweet mask didn't deny them for whatever petty reason

Iaian and the rest of Atomic Samurais disciples were said to be this, right?

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Crimpolioni posted:

Iaian and the rest of Atomic Samurais disciples were said to be this, right?

I would argue this means they're not S-Class because truly freakish strength gets thrown straight into S ala Genos.

Also imo Puri-Puri and Tank-Top Master made it in before Sweet Mask started squatting because they just feel weaker than him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

bacon flaps posted:

I would argue this means they're not S-Class because truly freakish strength gets thrown straight into S ala Genos.

Also imo Puri-Puri and Tank-Top Master made it in before Sweet Mask started squatting because they just feel weaker than him.

I think we've been told Amai is stronger than about 30% of the S-Class, which is part of why he does the squatting thing because he knows if he joined he wouldn't be able to keep out people like the ones he's already better than.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Eventually, we find out that the real Blast was inside us all along

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Eh, Puri and Tanktop Master are insanely superhuman, they just aren't quite as much so as several of the other S-Classes.

Puri is basically, like, Doc Samson level, and Tanktop Master is, like, mid-level Golden Age Superman. It's just that this is a Universe where if you train in martial arts long enough, you could potentially punch through Superman's invulnerability.

It's just that they're "only" superhumanly strong and tough, not "the platonic ideal of <attribute>" like Darkshine is with toughness or Saitama is with strength (and toughness, and speed, and...).

They're likely both tougher and stronger than Sweet Mask, but he also seems to have superhuman speed on his side, and some other raw power abilities (like the classic 'wave your hand at someone and they get torn apart a few feet away' bit) that transcend just "being super super strong".

The issue is really, how do you define someone as being worthy of, or meant to be in, S-Class? It's basically being something that the Hero Association looks at, and they blink a few times, and they just know this person isn't really a person, it's a weapon, and that belongs in S-Class. Sometimes they don't even have to see them perform, obviously, given King and Genos' placements. At the same time, clearly, it's possible to have been placed in another Class, and for it to be possible, in theory, to get promoted into S-Class. I mean, I doubt Child Emperor wowed everyone so much that the first time he showed up in public he got sent straight there, even with a recommendation from/the knowledge of being a protegee to, Metal Knight.

I mean, Sea King was a high Demon threat, so Puri being surprised and taken out because he held back against him isn't exactly an instant disqualification in my opinion, and poor Tanktop Master got embarrassed by both Tatsumaki (while still casually lifting A BUILDING in one hand to throw several hundred meters into the air) and Metal Knight's AT-AT, but that was as much for comedic purposes as anything else, and can we really say that being beaten up by Garou makes a person weak?

Eh, I don't know. It just seems a bit short-sighted to say they don't belong, just because they aren't casually tying physics into knots, rather than just bending them in half. But this post is already way too long, so I'll stop here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
They do explain how the rankings work a bit more in depth, but we already know that S-class are supposed to be able to 1v1 a demon level threat whereas it takes something like 5 a-class or 10+ B-Class to accomplish the same feat. Obviously there is a range of strength to Demon class threats as well and matchups are a factor too but someone like PPP can still walk up and bear hug a giant Porcupine nobody else could have dealt with so that's why he's in that class.

The thing is that the current system of promotions doesn't allow people to really get past Amai Mask unless you just have a reputation before the association gets to you. Which is why Genos made it in but Atomic Samurai's pupils are still the top of A-class despite the characters and Narrators saying they are worthy of being in S-class.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 14, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

dipwood posted:

It's a clever theory but I'm pretty sure you can't become the very top ranked hero by accident without even knowing about the hero association. They presumably had to establish communication with Blast at some point, like they did with King when they made him S class.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
blast is saitamas dad

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Blast is Saitama from the future.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Blast is Garou from the future.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Blast is just another dude who did 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats and 10km running. He only did 5 days a week though.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I assumed Blast had to be related to Bang and Bomb.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Blast is a spirit that is passed along to people who really care a lot about shopping for groceries with coupons.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Crimpolioni posted:

I assumed Blast had to be related to Bang and Bomb.

This was my thought as well. Blast being Bang and Bomb's mother would be a funny reveal.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Blast is Saitama from the future.

Saitama is a Blast from the Past

yota821
Sep 3, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

:golfclap:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I always assumed Blast just straight up wasn't real but it's hard to rectify that with Elder Centipede's backstory

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
As a webcomic reader is fun seeing y'all theorizing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Bleck posted:

I always assumed Blast just straight up wasn't real but it's hard to rectify that with Elder Centipede's backstory

Elder Centipede is just Abe Simpson after eating some monster cells.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blast is Keyser Soze.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Babe Magnet posted:

:drat:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blast is a grim hardened Mumen Rider from the post-apocalyptic future.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Blast is a grim hardened Mumen Rider from the post-apocalyptic future.

This would be amazing

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Blast was probably slapped into No. 1 by Tatsumaki since she's absurd even by S-class standards and she's shown to have a ton of pull in the Association.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Blast is us, the readers

We were the real heroes all along

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Blast is the manager at the grocery store Saitama shops at. He's just to busy planning the next sale to get involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blast is real, and strong, and my friend.