Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Motto posted:

before SS you couldn't sprint at all, just roll and not be quite sure if you were actually going faster or placebo-ing yourself

All about them side leaps. Hop hop hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Motto posted:

before SS you couldn't sprint at all, just roll and not be quite sure if you were actually going faster or placebo-ing yourself

walk backwards

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Macaluso posted:

This is basically what the defense of these two bad things whenever this topic come up sounds like

i'm not being sarcastic. I believe games should be carefully designed to be frustrating and inconvenient more often.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have an Apple airport extreme literally 10 feet from my bed where I play, so I think my switch is extra hosed for WiFi
I am not at all shocked that an Apple & Nintendo product don't want to talk to each other as devices from both companies don't ever want to talk to anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the airport modems are loving amazing tho

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

2.4G or 5G? The switch's wireless receiver is much better with 5G signals than 2.4G which it indeed sucks rear end with. I had to go through similar problems until I bought a network rebroadcaster that works on both 2.4G and 5G, forcing the switch to use the 5G network fixed all the connection issues.

Huh, I think I can make a separate 5g network on the airport, I’ll try that! Thanks!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Never use 2.4g unless you live in a country home at least a mile from anyone else.
I use 5g with lovely Canadian internet in an apartment complex, and have yet to experience a single problem people complain about.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I hope that's the issue. I've been on 5ghz since forever and never have WiFi troubles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was letting the airport auto negotiate the 2.4 or 5ghz on a per-device basis, so I have no idea which one my switch was using.

I broke the 5ghz out on a separate network now, and I’ll try it out.

Here’s to hoping because I have the battle pass for Fortnite this season and it’s hard to check things off the list when the game is constant lag and the red X for a bad connection never leaves the screen

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I'm guessing you guys would say to go for mario maker over NSMB right? Do the premade levels actually pan out to be a pretty fun 2D mario game? I don't really know how deep I'd get in the level creation or playing other peoples levels so the base game being good is pretty make or break for me.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Yes get MM2 over NSMBWIIUD

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

veni veni veni posted:

So I'm guessing you guys would say to go for mario maker over NSMB right? Do the premade levels actually pan out to be a pretty fun 2D mario game? I don't really know how deep I'd get in the level creation or playing other peoples levels so the base game being good is pretty make or break for me.

As an NSMBUD owner, I say go for MM2. The former is a disappointment.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think NSMBU is a good game that’s worth playing but I’d definitely choose Mario Maker over it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you can only get one, get Mario maker

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Worth noting that "playing other peoples levels" in Mario Maker doesn't necessarily mean going out and seeking specific levels, you can just hit a button and it'll stream new levels to you endlessly. Even if you never make a level Mario Maker is just a Mario game where you'll never see the same level twice.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only thing I’ll say is that while the story mode levels in SMM2 are really good, they’re not really standard Mario levels like you’d see in a regular Mario game. They’re gimmicky, illustrating some of the mechanics you can use in making a level. That doesn’t mean they’re less fun, (I actually find them MORE fun), but they are different. Having said that, SMM2 is the better buy, just don’t expect run of the mill Mario levels.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You people wanting to make Link sprint everywhere without giving him the chance to catch his breath are monsters. It's right there in the name of the game for god sake.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

He's catching too much breath, that's why whistlesprinting works.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

2.4G or 5G? The switch's wireless receiver is much better with 5G signals than 2.4G which it indeed sucks rear end with. I had to go through similar problems until I bought a network rebroadcaster that works on both 2.4G and 5G, forcing the switch to use the 5G network fixed all the connection issues.

Same. Using both bands at the same time drops the range of both, so a repeater is recommended. I had great luck with the one I linked in my previous post.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

The Switch would be better with Animal Crossing.

:hmmyes:

edit: I intend to send the loving moon to my neighbors so they have to throw away furniture to make it fit in their homes.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 14, 2019

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The reason the original is called a Switch is because you can switch from handheld mode to console mode. But this version doesn’t have that capability so wouldn’t it make sense to call it something else? They could’ve just called it the Nintendo Lite or something and put on the box ‘Plays Nintendo Switch Games!’ or something so the casuals wouldn’t be confused

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Worth noting that "playing other peoples levels" in Mario Maker doesn't necessarily mean going out and seeking specific levels, you can just hit a button and it'll stream new levels to you endlessly. Even if you never make a level Mario Maker is just a Mario game where you'll never see the same level twice.

This is me. I’ve never touched the maker portion of Mario maker. I just work my way through the campaign, check the hot levels chart, set some record times on the new levels tab, play some endless, repeat. Maybe someday I’ll make a Mario, but for now I just enjoy playing it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

a.lo posted:

The reason the original is called a Switch is because you can switch from handheld mode to console mode. But this version doesn’t have that capability so wouldn’t it make sense to call it something else? They could’ve just called it the Nintendo Lite or something and put on the box ‘Plays Nintendo Switch Games!’ or something so the casuals wouldn’t be confused

Nintendo called their next-gen console follow-up to the Wii the Wii

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a.lo posted:

Yes, after the Wii-u the thing Nintendo definitely wants to do is confuse people with naming.

It plays switch games, it’s a switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

a.lo posted:

The casuals totally would have been confused by that. It’s smart they kept the same name imo.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Whether the name makes sense or not, they wouldn't gain anything by calling it something that people don't already recognize.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It switches on and off so ipso facto its a Switch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a.lo posted:

They could’ve just called it the Nintendo Lite or something and put on the box ‘Plays Nintendo Switch Games!’ or something so the casuals wouldn’t be confused

This is insanely loving stupid

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fallom posted:

Nintendo called their next-gen console follow-up to the Wii the Wii

Nintendo 3DS -> Nintendo NEW 3DS

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Steve2911 posted:

I smashed my GBC the day I got a GBA because I was curious about what it looked like inside. My dad was pissed.

Kids are often lovely destructive beasts without meaning to be.

The only other game I had for Game Boy besides Tetris was Castlevania. It used to make me so mad, I'd put the Game Boy on the floor face-up, align my heel with the screen, and stand on it. I did this more than once. Game Boy obviously won the war, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Ninten-No Switch

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

a.lo posted:

For the company that brought us "Wii U" and "New 3DS", "Switch Lite" is a surprisingly clear and transparent name.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zat posted:

For a company that brought us "Wii U" and "New 3DS", "Switch Lite" is a surprisingly clear and transparent name.

doug bowser already loving his job up

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Did anyone buy Lethal League Blaze? How does it run in handheld mode vs. docked?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

a.lo posted:

The nintendo "This"
Then everyone can endlessly repeat "oh man x would be perfect on This" with reason

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Nintendo 3DS -> Nintendo NEW 3DS

God help you if you try to buy a second-hand one like I did.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

a.lo posted:

A totally new, different Nintendo branded console that only plays Switch games is definitely more confusing than Switch Lite, which is clearly Switch but less.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I don’t play the switched undocked almost ever. Why? Because it’s too wide, and hurts my hands. The smaller size might actually work for that. In my case, if I can transfer saves easily, I may grab a switch lite for when I’m on planes and for coffee shops, but still have my main switch at home. (I need to try one out first, and I need them to come out with a better limited addition color. Purple, a sick see through red, or Zelda limited addition and I’ll buy it in a heartbeat

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is insanely loving stupid
I'm sensing a pattern here...

a.lo posted:

I hope they learned their lesson on weapon durability and stamina

a.lo posted:

Why can’t I just sprint? Let me just sprint. There was no problem until Skyward Sword. It doesn’t make the game better it makes it worse. Just let me sprint

a.lo posted:

BOTW would be better without stamina bar and weapon durability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

LionArcher posted:

I don’t play the switched undocked almost ever. Why? Because it’s too wide, and hurts my hands. The smaller size might actually work for that. In my case, if I can transfer saves easily, I may grab a switch lite for when I’m on planes and for coffee shops, but still have my main switch at home. (I need to try one out first, and I need them to come out with a better limited addition color. Purple, a sick see through red, or Zelda limited addition and I’ll buy it in a heartbeat

You can take the joycons off on the go you know