Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

imagine being so god drat small-brained that you actually believe pacifism is at all a rational, realistic, or sane ideology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wheeee posted:

imagine being so god drat small-brained that you actually believe pacifism is at all a rational, realistic, or sane ideology

Are you saying Gundam Wing is not a coherent ideology?

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Liberals get really, really mad about podcasts and can never provide even a single example as to why. Like, a snippet or anything.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/07/04/meet-the-anti-woke-left/

Plenty of choice snippets here :tipshat:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Wheeee posted:

pacifism means "i would like the state to wield violence on my behalf"

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
pacifism is a liberal fantasy but everybody here already knows that

I mean yeah it would be nice if it worked, but it doesn't.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

the thing that gets me about pacifism is that it's not just wrong on a single level, like it's not just misconceiving economics or whatever

if you understand anything about human psychology, or social group dynamics, or ideology, or bureaucracy, or hierarchical systems, or history, or anthropology, or biology, or nature, or a thousand loving things the entire idea falls apart

pacifism is literally a religion

THS
Sep 15, 2017

non-violence as a tactic is usually the best approach to most political situations but yeah pacifism as a blanket no-exceptions thing is stupid

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

non-violence as a tactic is usually the best approach to most political situations but yeah pacifism as a blanket no-exceptions thing is stupid

Yeah we shouldn't just start swinging fists as our go-to but once you declare yourself a pacifist you may as well just roll on your back and hold up a sign that says "victimise me with impunity"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/1150509338668089344

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DieselbrainArt/status/1150468132949168128?s=19

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

THS posted:

oh yea i'm not saying walking into work and shooting your boss is a good idea, even in primitive societies poo poo was/is generally dealt with non-violently.

but now, pics for the pic thread

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Alobar posted:

RIP to the old guy, but I'm not reading his "manifesto" that he didn't even use the shift key for. My heroes get shot, they don't shoot people. That said, this is the kind of music I listen to:

posting this in cspam

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Wheeee posted:

the thing that gets me about pacifism is that it's not just wrong on a single level, like it's not just misconceiving economics or whatever

if you understand anything about human psychology, or social group dynamics, or ideology, or bureaucracy, or hierarchical systems, or history, or anthropology, or biology, or nature, or a thousand loving things the entire idea falls apart

pacifism is literally a religion

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/the-importance-of-pacifism

maybe you're just a retard who doesn't value human life

see i can overgeneralize too

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
where the gently caress did the participation trophy poo poo come from? i never got one as a kid. seems like some rich kid poo poo.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ross DaouThot posted:

Oh nooo the fancy little handkerchief dweeb doesn't like violence, what a loss to our cause his strength will be

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
that said i would like a participation trophy for participating in society thank you

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Ross DaouThot posted:

lol you're so stupid you thought linking a bad article on current affairs was in any way a refutation of the dismissal of your religious beliefs

if anything you've reinforced the point in my post

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The pretend british writer of articles like "I like flowers" and "roundabouts? Good idea!" thinks pacifism is the way to go because world war one was bad. Well I'm convinced

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

where the gently caress did the participation trophy poo poo come from? i never got one as a kid. seems like some rich kid poo poo.
I think I got some kind of trophy for participation in soccer at the end of the season when I was 10 or so.

I definitely didn't confuse it with being any good at soccer though.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

if any of you edgelords saw a single person get shot in the head wouldn't leave your house ever again, that is if you do as it is

if you actually read the fancy lad article you'd see that i don't think violence is never necessary, just that 99% of the time the rationalization for violence is just an excuse to do evil

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
literally no kid has ever been proud to get a participation trophy.

it’s just a thing that exists for people who pine for the past to get mad at

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ross DaouThot posted:

if any of you edgelords saw a single person get shot in the head wouldn't leave your house ever again, that is if you do as it is

if you actually read the fancy lad article you'd see that i don't think violence is never necessary, just that 99% of the time the rationalization for violence is just an excuse to do evil

Please tell us more about your experience of seeing people get murked oh hardest of the hardcore, we are all new to the idea of violence

I mean it's not like 90% of us CSPAM posters are disaffected military dudes or anything

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I used to get them in baseball or whatever when I was a kid. But I would've been just fine with never getting one.

Ross DaouThot posted:

It's best not to make assumptions about other posters' life experiences.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

literally no kid has ever been proud to get a participation trophy.

it’s just a thing that exists for people who pine for the past to get mad at

boomers came up with the idea in the first place

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
using violence to rationalize evil doesn’t make a lot of sense. Violence has been used to accomplish bad things but your personal feelings on that doesn’t really change or effect that

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Zeroisanumber posted:

I used to get them in baseball or whatever when I was a kid. But I would've been just fine with never getting one.

It's best not to make assumptions about other posters' life experiences.

i'm not trying to paint with too broad a brush here, like i'm speaking to the whole thread, but gently caress me if "boo hoo WWI was baaad" doesn't come across as sheltered

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Oh you think violence is a necessary tool against fascism? Then I guess you must be indifferent to the plight of the children who died in Hiroshima! Checkmate."
-Nathan J. Robinson, quite literally

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Crane Fist posted:

"Oh you think violence is a necessary tool against fascism? Then I guess you must be indifferent to the plight of the children who died in Hiroshima! Checkmate."
-Nathan J. Robinson, quite literally

i didn't realize the article i linked was a screed against antifa

oh wait it wasn't

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ross DaouThot posted:

i'm not trying to paint with too broad a brush here, like i'm speaking to the whole thread, but gently caress me if "boo hoo WWI was baaad" doesn't come across as sheltered

You loving what now

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ross DaouThot posted:

i didn't realize the article i linked was a screed against antifa

oh wait it wasn't

But antifa use violence, I'm sure this nurse from WW1 would agree they are bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

wait I just read the argument the opposite of how it was intended to be and that WW1 was bad so pacifism rules is weird.

like WW1 showed how toothless and useless pacifism is

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Crane Fist posted:

But antifa use violence, I'm sure this nurse from WW1 would agree they are bad

america using violence against fascists has been used as cultural pretext for those world savers to murder millions in the last 80 years

antifa also use a wide range of non violent strategies, and the only reason they don't get the job done is because of the appeasement of liberals

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ross DaouThot posted:

america using violence against fascists has been used as cultural pretext for those world savers to murder millions in the last 80 years

What

Whaaaat

e: in case anyone feels like torturing themselves, here's NJR wringing his hands about those nasty old antifa being violent to a small, gay and alone "journalist"

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Jul 15, 2019

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

i guess i'll stop talking about or identifying myself as pacifist since apparently this thread's running definition is "being completely inert"

Crane Fist posted:

What

Whaaaat

e: in case anyone feels like torturing themselves, here's NJR wringing his hands about those nasty old antifa being violent to a small, gay and alone "journalist"

you don't think that america fighting the nazis has been used to brainwash americans into supporting military action ever since? axis

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

there are a lot of Central American Countries that would disagree.

The height of direct American imperialism was in the 20s

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

pacifism is dumb under any definition

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ross DaouThot posted:

i guess i'll stop talking about or identifying myself as pacifist since apparently this thread's running definition is "being completely inert"

No gently caress you don't try and squirm away without explaining what the gently caress this is referring to

Ross DaouThot posted:

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Crane Fist posted:

No gently caress you don't try and squirm away without explaining what the gently caress this is referring to

i'm saying that loving random chuds watch saving private ryan and think gently caress yeah we gonna defeat saddam hoosein and the axis of evil

fighting the nazis was one of the few good acts of american military intervention... ever, but they didn't do it to rescue people from auschwitz they did it because hitler threatened america's empire

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314cbwZ-70A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

”Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Ethics” posted:

“Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matt. 5.10). This does not refer to the righteousness of God; it does not refer to perfection for Jesus Christ’s sake. It is the beatification of those who are persecuted for the sake of a just cause, and, as we may now add, for the sake of a true, good and human cause.