Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dammit. I'm going to miss ROR at Disneyland by a couple months. I figured November was late enough in the year for it to be open. Ah well. We have a giant family trip to WDW fall 2020 so there's that I guess. The new Mickey dark ride should be done by then, right? What about Ratatouille at Epcot? Have they said anything about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

They haven't given any official ETA on either of those, but they are wanting them ready for WDW's 50th anniversary in 2021. So who really knows at this point?

I suspect Runaway Railway will open in 2020, but no clue exactly when.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

They haven't given any official ETA on either of those, but they are wanting them ready for WDW's 50th anniversary in 2021. So who really knows at this point?

I suspect Runaway Railway will open in 2020, but no clue exactly when.

fwiw the last I'd heard about runaway railway was late jan-early march 2020. probably middling february, right before or right after the marathon.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I just want the Skyliner to open so I can soar and melt.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

oh man this makes my family trip for the Christmas Processional on the 14th of December a whole lot more exciting

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not Disney related. But today I learned there was a hard rock theme park that only lasted for 1 year but had a Led Zeppelin roller coaster and a knights in white satin dark ride

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

Not Disney related. But today I learned there was a hard rock theme park that only lasted for 1 year but had a Led Zeppelin roller coaster and a knights in white satin dark ride

the podcast the ride episodes about it:
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/forever-dog-podcast-network/podcast-the-ride/e/53911892
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/starburns-audio/podcast-the-ride/e/53995308

the theme park university articles:
https://themeparkuniversity.com/category/extinct-attractions/hard-rock-park-extinct-attractions/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those are pro clicks thanks. What a interesting park. Such a shame

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Those are pro clicks thanks. What a interesting park. Such a shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULsO-om-Wg

This is a good channel if you're a theme park junkie.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Leaked photo from Rise of the Resistance which looks like a creepy Westworld. Spoilering.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also these are rad as hell and I want the jungle cruise one

https://wdwnt.com/2019/07/photos-new-fantasyland-pixar-purple-wall-and-attractions-windbreakers-arrive-at-walt-disney-world/

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I need that Tiki Room rain jacket.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anyone got info on Disneyland Paris? We are roughing out a Christmas through early January 2021 Europe trip and will probably try and make a day trip over to the parks.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We're going to Disney Sea on October 7th. Should we expect the park to be Halloween themed? I'm really hoping so.

Also, Disney Sea runs on the old Fast Past system, correct? So once we're in at park opening, we just need to run to all the rides, grab the fast past tickets and we're good? There's no limit to the number you can collect?

Since we've done Toy Story Mania in the states, we can skip that one, and I read Raging Spirits has a loop as well as a single rider line. My wife can't do loops, so I'll skip a fast pass and do single rider for that.

So we'll pick up fast passes for:

Tower of Terror
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Indiana Jones

and if we're close by after picking up Indiana Jones, we'll pick up a Raging Spirits pass.

I think we'll skip Magic Lamp, Toy Story, and Nemo, and I read 20,000 Leagues is just a walk-on, so we'll do that too.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

couldcareless posted:

Anyone got info on Disneyland Paris? We are roughing out a Christmas through early January 2021 Europe trip and will probably try and make a day trip over to the parks.

Hey there, EuroGoon here with an annual Pass. Ask me anything! DLP is a 2 park set up. It has the main Parc Disneyland, which is basically your magic Kingdom, with Main Street and the other lands shooting off the end. The second park is Walt Disney Studios, and whilst it's shockingly lame in so many ways, a couple of the do not miss rides are in there, so a park hopping ticket is a must if you want to include those in your trip. With Rock and Roller coaster shut by the time you get there, a single Park ticket might do you fine tho.

Park closes around 6pm as well in the early winter off season months. DLP run a very old school fast pass system with you being required to be in the park, and go to the fast pass machines at each ride that supports. There are no online queues, or anything fancier that this paper ticket, unless you pay for Fast Pass plus which has different tiers and allows for multiple fast pass entries. I don't think you will need more than the standard old school fast passes given the time of year.

Hi-lights and must do's are in my opinion:

Parc Disneyland:
Thunder Mountain: It's a unique version, with a tunnel section to an island with the titular mountain, and it's a great really fun ride. It's also generally the busiest ride in the park with 75 min plus queues at high season, and also wins the most likely to break down award too. In Jan, can probably ride as often as you like as long as its running:)

(Hyper) Space Mountain. Totally different from the US version... its a launch coaster firing from a cannon up the first hill, and is currently draped in a rather excellent Star Wars mission with some cool effects and soundtrack. Strangely never too busy.. its too extreme for the kiddy crowd who spend their time on Thunder Mountain, so tend to do this one a few times in a row... abusing fast passes as we go! Star Tours is next door for a nice break in between.

Buzz Lightyear: Dark ride with laser guns.. so much bloody fun!!!!

Phantom Manor: DLPs riff on haunted Mansion. Nuff said:) Just reopened after a very extended refurb.

Studios:
Aerosmith Rock and Roller Coaster: My go to in the studios would be this. Firstly because its rather awesome, with a different theme that its US counterparts, but it's about to be closed down and become Iron Man generic Rollercoaster 5, when it reopens some time next year or so.

Tower of Terror: it's just perfect, theming, build up, the drops... it's a must ride even if you have done it a thousand times at the other parks. Different than Florida, and probably same as what is now Mission Breakout.

Ratatouille: 3d Dark ride that is being replicated in Florida soon I believe.. worth a ride to see what the fuss is about. Sometimes love it.. sometimes..its meh

Crushes Coaster!. Fun Spinning coaster in the dark. But only if the queues are short.

Mostly in the studios its the lack of theming that lets it down.. something the new lands they are going to build there will hopefully be the end of.

Back in Parc Disneyland, each Themed area is up to Disney Standard, with some saying main street and the castle being one of the best globally. There is an indoor arcade running parallel which is great for the colder days. It has back doors to all the shops from Main street, and is lit and warmed by gaslights along its lengths.

The castle is fully explorable, and there is a nice easter egg of sorts if you wander to its lower levels. Inside the middle level there are shops where custom wands can be purchased.

You can definitely see a lot of it.. if not actually do everything in one day, but on a quiet winter season day, a good dent could be made in the rides there:)

Absolute Zeroes fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 14, 2019

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Nanigans posted:

We're going to Disney Sea on October 7th. Should we expect the park to be Halloween themed? I'm really hoping so.

Also, Disney Sea runs on the old Fast Past system, correct? So once we're in at park opening, we just need to run to all the rides, grab the fast past tickets and we're good? There's no limit to the number you can collect?

Since we've done Toy Story Mania in the states, we can skip that one, and I read Raging Spirits has a loop as well as a single rider line. My wife can't do loops, so I'll skip a fast pass and do single rider for that.

So we'll pick up fast passes for:

Tower of Terror
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Indiana Jones

and if we're close by after picking up Indiana Jones, we'll pick up a Raging Spirits pass.

I think we'll skip Magic Lamp, Toy Story, and Nemo, and I read 20,000 Leagues is just a walk-on, so we'll do that too.

There is a limit to Fast Passes. I dont know the exact rules, but it is similar to other parks. Ie you get a fast pass and then you cant get the next one until the minimum of:
- the return time for your current one,
- or 2 hours later

Indiana Jones also has single rider.

Also, you MUST ride Sinbad. It is my favorite ride at DisneySea by far.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

BlueBayou posted:

There is a limit to Fast Passes. I dont know the exact rules, but it is similar to other parks. Ie you get a fast pass and then you cant get the next one until the minimum of:
- the return time for your current one,
- or 2 hours later

Indiana Jones also has single rider.

Also, you MUST ride Sinbad. It is my favorite ride at DisneySea by far.

Oh, I definitely want to Ride Sinbad, but I don't think it has a Fast Pass, right?

Okay, so of the rides I listed, which one is the best use of the very first Fastpass I can grab? Journey to the Center of the Earth seems like the coolest.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Nanigans posted:

Oh, I definitely want to Ride Sinbad, but I don't think it has a Fast Pass, right?

Okay, so of the rides I listed, which one is the best use of the very first Fastpass I can grab? Journey to the Center of the Earth seems like the coolest.

Sinbad has no FP and is often a walk-on.

Do Tower and Journey first. Get a fastpass for one and then go do the other standby.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I went to grad school in Myrtle and went in 2009 when it was rebranded as Freestyle Music Park before it closed forever that year. I got to go on a day when students got in free but for general admission they were charging Six Flags prices for a VERY sub-Six Flags park. There weren’t a ton of attractions and only two coasters. The Led Zeppelin coaster (Time Machine when I visited) was a decent hypercoaster and had the same gimmick as the Rippin Rocket in Universal where you could pick your own music. The other coaster whose name I can’t remember was a smaller was a fun smaller ride (about the size of Primeval Whirl) and had a cool mechanism where instead of a lift hill a rotating drum cycled cars up to the top of the first drop. I honestly don’t remember doing much else but it was very unimpressive. I got a sweet souvenir water bottle that was literally the Hard Rock guitar with the sticker ripped off and replaced with the Freestyle Music Park sticker.

They had the attendance— Family Kingdom is a small amusement park in Myrtle that’s very popular. Hard Rock was just horribly managed.

Zeppelin/Time Machine actually stood for a while and was very visible off Hwy 501 on your way into the beach. They only finished tearing it down a few years ago.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I watched a bunch of stuff about it and it seemed like a ok park but yeah not much to do. If anything I would’ve loved to go on the nights in white satin ride.

Whoever posted that expedition YouTube page though is mvp what a great channel.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Absolute Zeroes posted:

Hey there, EuroGoon here with an annual Pass. Ask me anything! DLP is a 2 park set up. It has the main Parc Disneyland, which is basically your magic Kingdom, with Main Street and the other lands shooting off the end. The second park is Walt Disney Studios, and whilst it's shockingly lame in so many ways, a couple of the do not miss rides are in there, so a park hopping ticket is a must if you want to include those in your trip. With Rock and Roller coaster shut by the time you get there, a single Park ticket might do you fine tho.

Park closes around 6pm as well in the early winter off season months. DLP run a very old school fast pass system with you being required to be in the park, and go to the fast pass machines at each ride that supports. There are no online queues, or anything fancier that this paper ticket, unless you pay for Fast Pass plus which has different tiers and allows for multiple fast pass entries. I don't think you will need more than the standard old school fast passes given the time of year.

Hi-lights and must do's are in my opinion:

Parc Disneyland:
Thunder Mountain: It's a unique version, with a tunnel section to an island with the titular mountain, and it's a great really fun ride. It's also generally the busiest ride in the park with 75 min plus queues at high season, and also wins the most likely to break down award too. In Jan, can probably ride as often as you like as long as its running:)

(Hyper) Space Mountain. Totally different from the US version... its a launch coaster firing from a cannon up the first hill, and is currently draped in a rather excellent Star Wars mission with some cool effects and soundtrack. Strangely never too busy.. its too extreme for the kiddy crowd who spend their time on Thunder Mountain, so tend to do this one a few times in a row... abusing fast passes as we go! Star Tours is next door for a nice break in between.

Buzz Lightyear: Dark ride with laser guns.. so much bloody fun!!!!

Phantom Manor: DLPs riff on haunted Mansion. Nuff said:) Just reopened after a very extended refurb.

Studios:
Aerosmith Rock and Roller Coaster: My go to in the studios would be this. Firstly because its rather awesome, with a different theme that its US counterparts, but it's about to be closed down and become Iron Man generic Rollercoaster 5, when it reopens some time next year or so.

Tower of Terror: it's just perfect, theming, build up, the drops... it's a must ride even if you have done it a thousand times at the other parks. Different than Florida, and probably same as what is now Mission Breakout.

Ratatouille: 3d Dark ride that is being replicated in Florida soon I believe.. worth a ride to see what the fuss is about. Sometimes love it.. sometimes..its meh

Crushes Coaster!. Fun Spinning coaster in the dark. But only if the queues are short.

Mostly in the studios its the lack of theming that lets it down.. something the new lands they are going to build there will hopefully be the end of.

Back in Parc Disneyland, each Themed area is up to Disney Standard, with some saying main street and the castle being one of the best globally. There is an indoor arcade running parallel which is great for the colder days. It has back doors to all the shops from Main street, and is lit and warmed by gaslights along its lengths.

The castle is fully explorable, and there is a nice easter egg of sorts if you wander to its lower levels. Inside the middle level there are shops where custom wands can be purchased.

You can definitely see a lot of it.. if not actually do everything in one day, but on a quiet winter season day, a good dent could be made in the rides there:)

This is all super useful. I'm going to throw it in our travel docs for later when we are looking at seriously planning this. How are the parks with weather during that time? I'm from southern US so I'm pretty used to temps akin to WDW where summer is hot and winter is just less hot, sometimes chilly.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've watched videos on the Disney Paris version of Space Mountain and I want to ride it so loving bad.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I went to DIsneyland Paris in late 2017 before I had really gotten into the Disney parks. Thought the Ratatouille restaurant was pretty dang good. Phantom Manor was real cool because it was the first time I realized that they really do care about the story about the rides in regards to lore/story. And since Pirates had just finished a huge refurbishment there was an awesome movie-related animatronic that I won't spoil.

Edit: There's a pretty good statue of Wall-E and Eve next to Tomorrowland. That stuck out to me because I was excited to see them.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 15, 2019

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

couldcareless posted:

This is all super useful. I'm going to throw it in our travel docs for later when we are looking at seriously planning this. How are the parks with weather during that time? I'm from southern US so I'm pretty used to temps akin to WDW where summer is hot and winter is just less hot, sometimes chilly.

You will possibly find it very cold. Disneyland Paris got significant snow back in early Febuary this year. You can expect low single digit temps (in C) in the evenings and at night, probably not rising as high as 10c during the day. Be prepared for random rain showers.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

RedTeam posted:

You will possibly find it very cold. Disneyland Paris got significant snow back in early Febuary this year. You can expect low single digit temps (in C) in the evenings and at night, probably not rising as high as 10c during the day. Be prepared for random rain showers.

Winter's are all over the place these years, and milder than usual, but it's a complete crap shoot, and if it is mild, it tends to really loving rain instead. Single digits temps are guaranteed. But you can luck out, and as long as you wrap up, it's still enjoyable. DLP in the snow is really gorgeous if you luck out.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It will probably be one of the few times I can see a Disney park with actual snow (sorry Christmas Party, bubbles don't count) so I'm sort of excited just based on that. I also presume we will be pretty accustomed to bundling up at that point anyway since this will be smack dab in the middle of my wife's "Olsen Twins" trip as she has dubbed it ("Winning London", "Passport to Paris", "When in Rome")

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Re: Hard Rock Park. I had a few friends who worked there the first year.

It's real problem was that they spent a lot of money anticipating that they would get Orlando levels of attendance. It turns out that people don't go to Myrtle Beach for theme parks. They go to spend time at the Beach.

It's a real shame too because from all reports (I never got there myself) they did an amazing job building the park. It was designed by some of the people who did Islands of Adventure and you could see the influence throughout the park. The Moody Blues dark ride was incredible and their nightly lagoon fireworks show was set to "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zero One posted:

Re: Hard Rock Park. I had a few friends who worked there the first year.

It's real problem was that they spent a lot of money anticipating that they would get Orlando levels of attendance. It turns out that people don't go to Myrtle Beach for theme parks. They go to spend time at the Beach.

It's a real shame too because from all reports (I never got there myself) they did an amazing job building the park. It was designed by some of the people who did Islands of Adventure and you could see the influence throughout the park. The Moody Blues dark ride was incredible and their nightly lagoon fireworks show was set to "Bohemian Rhapsody".
Oh wow this jarred loose a memory! I did see the Queen fireworks show and it was fantastic.

Really the park itself was underwhelming but very well designed. It was just out of place because, like you said, Myrtle is where you go for cheap beach time, playing golf, and getting drunk at strip clubs.

The park was also built directly adjacent to Medieval Times, a popular waterside bar, and a megachurch. So like, there were a lot of confusing energies in those few acres.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Skyliner opens on September 29th. I will probably spend a day riding it because I am so excited.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

couldcareless posted:

What Absolute Zeroes said, plus: don't forget the shows and parades that will be happening at Christmas. In the past few years DLP have really been upping their live entertainment game, and currently, for the Lion King & Jungle Festival, we have a West End/Broadway-quality production of The Lion King, and a Bollywood-inspired Jungle Book show in Central Plaza (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awg9w5ZzP1A).

Last Christmas we had a lovely tree-lighting ceremony and an absolutely unmissable Christmas version of Big Band Beat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk3-zPQNBeY) - I don't think it's been confirmed what's coming this year but I'd keep an eye on this page: http://seasons.disneylandparis.com/en-gb/christmas-at-disneyland-paris

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Cais posted:

Skyliner opens on September 29th. I will probably spend a day riding it because I am so excited.

I'm actually super curious how the airflow and heat will be in those. Please report back.

RE Disneyland paris, wife and I love shows so that's awesome to hear. We are actually going to just miss Christmas and we leave for the trip the day after Christmas. There will probably be a good bit of Christmas decoration up still so that plus the possibility of snow will probably be extra magical

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We’re at Epcot today and they’re running continuously. Looks like they have an ac unit on top of each one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bottom Liner posted:

We’re at Epcot today and they’re running continuously. Looks like they have an ac unit on top of each one.

They don't. There's some onboard power for internal lighting and possibly music/announcements, but it's been confirmed a dozen times they are not going to be air conditioned.

I don't think they'll be that bad. A 5 minute ride at 11 mph through the air beats walking or standing around for 20 minutes waiting on a bus. They're ventilated pretty well. It won't be the most comfortable thing, but it won't be terrible.

I refuse to link to wdwnt, but DFB has a decent article about them.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2019/...tions-answered/

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Can do. If they do any cast previews I’ll probably do that too.

A few friends of mine went to Hong Kong last year and rode a similar gondola from the same company. Humidity sucks about as much as Florida and they said it was fine and comfortable, so I think it’ll be fine. The true test is when they EStop and you’re stuck dangling without moving.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Currently stuck on SOARIN. Broke mid take off with a loud bang and we rocked back and forth pretty hard and the screen and lights went out. Currently dangling feet about 12 feet up for 15 minutes now. I can see my water bottle behind me on the ground :(

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh snap. That's crazy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They just announced that we’re going to be here a while lol. Ground crew here and can’t get us down because of a power outage.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That reminds me did you guys see the video of that India spinner ride that broke in half?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They can’t restore power so they’re going to manually release the brakes. “There will be a slight drop”. Wee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Probably more exciting than the actual ride!