Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't think it's fair to judge Beto just because his father owned slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

:fork: this guy.

Frankly he’s been done for months. It’s just been even more clear since the debate.

B-but he's college educated! Clearly your intellectualism must allow him some ground to make it through the primary process, lest you turn out to be some dirty leftist.

One must think about all the tax credits for holding slaves Beto could offer!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Voluntary diversity hiring is the solution to racial wealth gap, and most companies are already doing it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Calibanibal posted:

Beto standing on an auction stage

:vince:

Also stfu BdB none of you actually have the spine to take on the Obama legacy head on.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Its Coke posted:

what if, instead of complaining about how college degree-holders are privileged, we make it so everyone with the desire and ability can go to college. maybe by making it free or something

It’s about making sure you have the piece of paper, not the skills or experience.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ogmius815 posted:

All of this of course dances around the real point, which is that you don’t think that a degree is a plus. Well, employers don’t agree with you. If you legislate away an employer’s ability to have that preference, you will only make hiring more arbitrary.

I understand you don’t really value education, hence, anti-intellectualism, like I said. Employers like education because it helps people see and understand nuance. You know what? I think I understand why leftists don’t see much use for it.

The nuance of whether your parents were rich enough to get you into Yale versus whether they weren't rich enough. It's fascinating you're dying on this hill just a few months after the academic scandal hit fever pitch.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Its Coke posted:

what if, instead of complaining about how college degree-holders are privileged, we make it so everyone with the desire and ability can go to college. maybe by making it free or something

how do you feel about tax breaks

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

:fork: this guy.

Frankly he’s been done for months. It’s just been even more clear since the debate.

Given that he's one of the only candidates explicitly supporting reparations I can't exactly see how admitting this should be a bad thing, really.

Edit: To be clear, I am all the gently caress away from being interested in him as a candidate, before this thread jumps on me for saying something not negative about a centrist

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Tir McDohl posted:

Given that he's one of the only candidates explicitly supporting reparations I can't exactly see how admitting this should be a bad thing, really.

Edit: To be clear, I am all the gently caress away from being interested in him as a candidate, before this thread jumps on me for saying something not negative about a centrist

It’s a ridiculous attempt to draw attention to himself by exploiting the fact that his ancestors were lovely people. It’s a desperate attempt by a fading candidate to change the conversation.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ogmius815 posted:

There’s a better solution to this problem than hiring under qualified non-grads though, and most companies are already using it: consider diversity as a plus in the hiring process.

What about having a degree in English makes me more qualified to do a basic data entry job

Or an entry level assistant manager position

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd bet on it. A lot of people saw Harris gain major ground by hitting Biden where he's weak, and they'll definitely try to engineer a similar moment.

But the risk is, her policies aside, Harris is a solid speaker. I could see the tactic backfiring if someone with a less effective verbal skewer goes after Biden.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ogmius815 posted:

All of this of course dances around the real point, which is that you don’t think that a degree is a plus. Well, employers don’t agree with you. If you legislate away an employer’s ability to have that preference, you will only make hiring more arbitrary.

I understand you don’t really value education, hence, anti-intellectualism, like I said. Employers like education because it helps people see and understand nuance. You know what? I think I understand why leftists don’t see much use for it.

Employers also don't agree that a coworker of mine who caught "kidney failure" should remain employed (dialysis causes you to miss shifts!), they don't believe in spending the $50/head per month to provide the PPE necessary to not die in 10-20 years, and they don't believe in things like "working less than 12 hours".

Ogmius815 posted:

There’s a better solution to this problem than hiring under qualified non-grads though, and most companies are already using it: consider diversity as a plus in the hiring process.

Are you an actual Joe Biden Elemental? "Actually, the free market will force employers to hire people they hate!"

Calibanibal posted:

Without credentialism how will I know how much I'm worth

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jesus christ, please. I'm sick of the people responsible for setting up the camps getting a pass because there's a drat D next to their name.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

But there's no logical reason to think that college is a necessary or even beneficial qualification for most jobs.

Tir McDohl posted:

Acknowledging it while not actually giving away the wealth that is now known to be ill-gotten (or at least initially ill-derived) is arguably worse than nothing, because it means he doesn't even have the excuse of ignorance.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Ogmius815 posted:

First off, while this may help with diversity in terms of gender/ethnicity, it does nothing to help with diversity in terms of economic class. More importantly though, the whole point is that having a bachelor's degree doesn't 'qualify you' to work a front desk or enter data into a spreadsheet in any meaningful way. The qualification is completely unrelated to the job. It's just a signifier of class.

I went to a prestigious four year college. I did a lot of drugs, went to a lot of parties, bullshitted my way through a bunch of humanities courses and got really good at Fox Only, Final Destination, No Items. In what possible way does this 'qualify' me to do entry-level data entry or front-desk reception over, say, a kid who graduated high school and spent four years working his rear end off in demanding retail positions?

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 15, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It just means they change the standards to totally incidentally require more 'well off white people' flags, like suddenly the focus on extracurriculars when Asians were topping the exam scores.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Nah Bernie’s an acceptable compromise candidate but unfortunately for him 80 percent of the primary electorate has a different preference.

Luckily since the field is so packed and our lovely ballot system, he doesn't need 50% + 1 this time.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It just means they change the standards to totally incidentally require more 'well off white people' flags, like suddenly the focus on extracurriculars when Asians were topping the exam scores.

I feel like this is much harder to do in the context of a job interview than a college admissions process

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Girbot posted:

Luckily since the field is so packed and our lovely ballot system, he doesn't need 50% + 1 this time.

Unluckily, he will need to get the Dem establishment on his side if he wants to pursue this strategy. Which he seems intent on not doing!

It also seems like the standards for Bernie are increasingly shrinking, like the expectations of him winning a commanding victory with a broad coalition are now "he can maybe squeak by with a factional victory"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Unluckily, he will need to get the Dem establishment on his side if he wants to pursue this strategy. Which he seems intent on not doing!

It also seems like the standards for Bernie are increasingly shrinking, like the expectations of him winning a commanding victory with a broad coalition are now "he can maybe squeak by with a factional victory"

He'll pick up support as other candidates waver and drop out.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

LinYutang posted:

Well at least his prospects are good enough that they could still be worse, which is more than I can say for your posts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Z. Autobahn posted:

I feel like this is much harder to do in the context of a job interview than a college admissions process

It's actually way easier!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LinYutang posted:

oh cool so his current path to victory is the same as everyone else's at the moment good to know

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I didn’t go to college because when I was young I took the “school isn’t cool and grown ups suck and just want to make you a slave” stuff too unironically. So I got a lot of grades you’d rather hide from your parents because I hated being there so much that I could barely even pay attention. Until colleges show no bias against kids whose report cards spent more ink printing “needs improvement / in danger of failing” over and over than they spent on the rest of it, college just isn’t for me.

I have tried, tried to get through my twenties not being a resentful poo poo among the people I consider friends who expect me to be able to relate with their college difficulties because I seem like a sharp white guy and so naturally I went to college right. And now in my thirties I’m trying not to be think of why I should want the people who went to college to have their debts forgiven. (At least on the latter, I can see it in the “building a better world for our children” perspective.)

What I don’t get is why at 37 my success metrics should be diminished by who I was at 17, but it’s cool that someone came through and explained that it’s because of some bullshit about nuance. Cool beans dude.

We need fewer colleges and more apprenticeships kthxgoal

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I took an advanced learning degree at college before I went into trade school and got my degree in electrical automation. You can do both an I absolutely recommend going to college just to learn poo poo because it helps you build perspective and I’m always using poo poo like media analysis or other things you wouldn’t think are directly applicable to life (like advanced math).

I didn’t start college until I was 26 and only because the financial crisis hit. If it hadn’t I’d still be driving fork lifts around a warehouse and my life would have taken a completely different direction.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
This may seem kinda obvious or even a tautology but a college degree should only be a requirement for a job when that job has requirements that can only be filled by a college degree. If the job has requirements that can be filled easily but not exclusively by a college degree, sure, prefer it, but if the job's duties don't require a degree, getting the job shouldn't either.

Folks who design airplanes and run nuclear power plants should probably have specialized education in those fields, sure! People who do lower level poo poo in a cubicle all day that they could be trained on in 80 hours probably don't need it. Doesn't seem that crazy.

As far as paying back loans: I had 50k and I paid mine back in 3 years because I habitually live dirt cheap and my passion happened to be in a field that gets overpaid. Sure, forgive debts, that'll help people who badly need help, but the bigger and more important issue is unfucking the state of college education in the country because it's way too much of a racket, as the thrust of the conversation in this thread's been pointing at. One-time vs. Perpetual loan forgiveness, means testing, whatever, all that's kinda... secondary to the real problem. Once the higher education system isn't a raging tire fire then doing that kind of thing will be easier, so the best plan is a short term patch to keep people from going bankrupt or homeless right now because of their debt and then quickly doing a broader educational reform, such as nationalizing all the Ivies. :v:

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 15, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A noun, a verb, and Obama

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1150706984490020864

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lmao Biden is finished. Who is the audience for this video? Democrats overwhelmingly support M4A

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

lmao Biden is finished. Who is the audience for this video? Democrats overwhelmingly support M4A

You say that, but Democrats also overwhelmingly support Obama signed Obamacare into law becoming Obama's signature policy and Biden was there with Obama when Obama did Obamacare.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

"I'm gonna protect and build on Obamacare in office" - Joe Biden

"The same Republicans who have been trying to gut and repeal Obamacare since before it started are gonna work with me to build on that policy because cooperation and decorum" - also Joe Biden

:psyduck:

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

He sounds like he’s having a stroke.

Ruminahui fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 15, 2019

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

We live in the hellworld timeline so this video is going to age very well when the court strike down Obamacare in couple of days. I would be interested in how they're going to sell the individual mandate again after all the polls that shows it's the most unpopular part of the ACA.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

So, in other words, take the plan that's been shredded by GOP courts and executive branch for almost a decade, try to build it back up to what it once was, then improve it by making it into what it was supposed to be when it was a House bill 10 years ago.

Brilliant plan, Joe. I am in awe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

volts5000 posted:

So, in other words, take the plan that's been shredded by GOP courts and executive branch for almost a decade, try to build it back up to what it once was, then improve it by making it into what it was supposed to be when it was a House bill 10 years ago.

Brilliant plan, Joe. I am in awe.

But my god, do you remember what it was supposed to be 10 years ago? That glorious dream, that beautiful notion of a better world just within our grasp?

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1150750255752843264

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Change we can believe in. Biden-san :love:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think my rhetorical mission is to make Biden and his ilk turn to salt whenever they suggest a plan with the words "access", "incentive" or "tax credit".

Sometimes it astounds me how narrow minded they are.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What about having a degree in English makes me more qualified to do a basic data entry job

Or an entry level assistant manager position

The fact that there's five openings in the data entry department and two hundred people applying for them, and the pay can't be lowered any further because it's already at local minimum wage with no benefits, so they're just applying all sorts of barely-applicable measures in order to whittle down the applicant pool to something small enough that they can pretend they're actually doing real decision-making in order to satisfy bosses who demand only the best of the best disposable worker drones.

The degree requirements are just yet another symptom of our increasingly dysfunctional economy and the slow progressive breakdown of the key assumptions it relies on. In an economy that's no longer able to employ everyone, our political classes have attempted to avoid that uncomfortable fact by focusing more and more on dividing American workers into castes, which tend to correlate with class but aren't completely tied to it. That way, unemployment is concentrated into a distinct group, and they can then prevent most unrest from that group by distracting them with offers of "access" and "opportunity" to move into the more employable castes. Still, that only works for so long, and the system is starting to fray at the seams as the underlying problem continues to worsen.

Ultimately, it's not really about degrees. It's about an economy that keeps needing fewer and fewer workers to do real work, and the fact that capitalism desperately needs workers to believe that unemployment is the fault of the unemployed workers rather than the fault of the capitalist system.

Z. Autobahn posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bpopken/status/1054350949739827202

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
capitalism is breaking down in america lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess it didn’t work out so well for Jared Fogle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
guys what if we structure our entire economy around being the only industrial power outside the communist bloc post-ww2 while also setting up an international finance system that requires the development of additional industrial powers. the inherent contradictions surely can't screw us over by oh lets say the 1970s