Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always gave Lilarcor to Minsc because they seemed made for each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
They just seemed so perfect together!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Especially since Lilacor protects from Charm and a Charmed Minsc can reduce Aerie or Imoen to paste in seconds.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

A berserker/mage with flail of ages and defender of east haven with grand mastery in flails and a simulacrum and both of you having improved haste for 8 attacks per round each is truly amazing.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Did you or are planning to run them through BG2 as well?

I do plan on it, but I already told them it's going to be a while longer before that's ready since it's more open ended and I have to be ready for whichever thing they decide to do first.

Since they're both Bhaalspawn, I didn't include Imoen at all during the first part, but I'm considering having her with a different background and tagging along through Irenicus' dungeon after freeing them. I've also considered that there's a high chance that they'd just want to go after Irenicus because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I could use her as insurance. I'm probably going to have her die in Spellhold just as she was originally supposed to, but I'm not sure if it would make my players feel too lovely if they failed to rescue her like that. I normally don't have the NPCs around for more than a bit because my players prefer to be on their own, and I'm not sure where they might dump Imoen without having to drag her through all of the Underdark.

A surfing dog?! fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 13, 2019

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

A surfing dog?! posted:

I do plan on it, but I already told them it's going to be a while longer before that's ready since it's more open ended and I have to be ready for whichever thing they decide to do first.

Since they're both Bhaalspawn, I didn't include Imoen at all during the first part, but I'm considering having her with a different background and tagging along through Irenicus' dungeon after freeing them. I've also considered that there's a high chance that they'd just want to go after Irenicus because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I could use her as insurance. I'm probably going to have her die in Spellhold just as she was originally supposed to, but I'm not sure if it would make my players feel too lovely if they failed to rescue her like that. I normally don't have the NPCs around for more than a bit because my players prefer to be on their own, and I'm not sure where they might dump Imoen without having to drag her through all of the Underdark.

Have her get separated from the party when the githyanki attack, and have her join back up temporarily when you take down Bodhi.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
If you sleepwalked through ToB, consider installing Ascension. If you had any difficulty at all at any point, do not install Ascension.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

Have her get separated from the party when the githyanki attack, and have her join back up temporarily when you take down Bodhi.

That's a good idea. If Saemon can get away, so can she.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Would you include happy-go-lucky BG1 Imoen, given she didn't get tortured by Irenicus? Or still grimdark BG2 Imoen?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As a teenager I would have said the latter because it's 'deeper', but now I find that I kind of like the trusting little sister character that Imoen is in BG1. Same reason I like Octavia in Pathfinder: Kingmaker, sometimes it's just refreshing to have a party member around who is good-natured in an uncomplicated way and who's got your back.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

In TOB Imoen largely reverts to her original personality. It's important to realize that pretty much all of Imoen's dialogue from SoA takes place in Irenicus's dungeon. Of course she's all emo there, everything she sees reminds her of what happened to her. But I think her personality would revert to form fairly quickly once she's out of that situation.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bioware really missed the mark on what players wanted from their npc companions.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Is it only from the Enhanced Editions onwards that the Int limit on spell levels? I don't remember Imoen or other sub-18 int mages not being able to cast 9th level spells.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That limit is only to scribe the scrolls. You can cast them fine, you just have to use some Int enhancer to scribe them.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The INT check for learning level 9 scrolls used to be bugged in that anyone would always have a 100% success rate no matter their INT score or if they already knew the spell or not.

Just chug a potion of genius before. All temples sell a stack of them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

The INT check for learning level 9 scrolls used to be bugged in that anyone would always have a 100% success rate no matter their INT score or if they already knew the spell or not.

You can also just throw the difficulty down when scribing spells so that you have no chance of failure. Kinda cheesy to do I guess so it would depend on whether you're the type of player who will just reload if they fail to scribe a spell. If you are, then just throw the difficulty down while you scribe spells and save yourself some time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just play on Normal difficulty. I don't like the reduction in incoming damage, but I'll be damned if I'm going to deal with losing valuable scrolls to chance, lovely HP rolls at level up and having party members literally explode into nothingness with no recourse even though Resurrection should, by the rules, bring them back. They really should have made a lot of the above rules tick boxes instead of all-or-nothing difficulty settings. I also play with minimal to no resting in dungeons for added "realism", so things like lovely HP rolls can really hurt.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You can turn on maximum hp rolls at least.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tweak pack has you covered on a la cart QOL improvements

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Replaying the trilogy again and using some techniques I’ve never bothered with before. Been using more blinding/crippling spells than just sleep. Glitterdust in particular is amazing, as well as command and blindness. Also been turning Imoen invisible and having her scout entire area, disabling traps, and marking encounters on my map. Is this how you Ironman nerds do this game?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yes, stacking debuffs is very useful in ironman runs, especially things like blind or wand of paralysis which just end the fight when they stick.

No need to scout when you know the games by heart though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm doing a bg2 run where I try not to break the game in half with cheese. Telling myself I'm not allowed to steal really hurts my wallet and just a simple thing like being short on cash forces me to get way more creative in how I approach things. Can't outfit my entire party with the best gear and need to scrape by.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious posted:

Also worth noting that potions of genius stack with themselves. You need 24 Int to have perfect learning rate so 2 potions is enough for anyone. In BG1 there aren't that many potions of genius, but you can also stack genius & mind focusing for +7 Int and every mage has at least 17 Int naturally.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

bike tory posted:

Would you include happy-go-lucky BG1 Imoen, given she didn't get tortured by Irenicus? Or still grimdark BG2 Imoen?

I think happy-go-lucky Imoen is the way to go if I want to make the PCs care enough about her to rescue her. I've only got until the end of Irenicus' dungeon to do that rather than the entirety of BG1, but I think it'll be enough.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

A surfing dog?! posted:

I think happy-go-lucky Imoen is the way to go if I want to make the PCs care enough about her to rescue her. I've only got until the end of Irenicus' dungeon to do that rather than the entirety of BG1, but I think it'll be enough.

I have a very similar problem in the LP of BG1 I'm doing right now. I have an evil party, so Imoen doesn't really fit in, but I want her to be a part of any potential BG2 content I do. So I've had to be inventive in ways to get her into the narrative, even though she isn't in the party. One suggestion, you could use Irenicus' torture scenes to create flashbacks to Imoen in Candlekeep, then when she shows up to rescue them they have some vague idea of who she is. Then you can have Irenicus imply that he lured Imoen there intentionally.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve never played as an evil character in any of the times I’ve played these games

Is it a viable option? I just imagine it to be a pain in the rear end with everyone hating you

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Keith Atherton posted:

I’ve never played as an evil character in any of the times I’ve played these games

Is it a viable option? I just imagine it to be a pain in the rear end with everyone hating you

You have to manage your reputation so that it's not so high that your evil party members leave you, but not so low that Flaming Fists (BG) or Amnian Legionaries, an Amnian Centurion, and two Cowled Wizards (BG2) start randomly spawning and attacking your party (reputation 4 and below). Also, the lower your reputation, the higher shop prices will be, as high as 900% of base price at 1 rep. Although, this can be modified with an option in the EE Tweaks mod to grant lower store prices at low reputation.

In BG2 you can't use the Holy Avenger or Azuredge, two of the best weapons in the game. There are decent evil weapon options when you get to Throne of Bhaal, but not a whole lot before that aside from Blackrazor and maybe a few others.

I've only ever played evil alignment to run the game with evil NPCs like Korgan, Edwin, etc. But I still play through the dialog choices and quests as "good" for the most because the rewards are better, then gank some rando or kill Drizzt or Firebead Elvenhair to drop my rep back down.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

I have a very similar problem in the LP of BG1 I'm doing right now. I have an evil party, so Imoen doesn't really fit in, but I want her to be a part of any potential BG2 content I do. So I've had to be inventive in ways to get her into the narrative, even though she isn't in the party. One suggestion, you could use Irenicus' torture scenes to create flashbacks to Imoen in Candlekeep, then when she shows up to rescue them they have some vague idea of who she is. Then you can have Irenicus imply that he lured Imoen there intentionally.

If you're doing an evil LP with narrative license why not have Imoen join up with Khalid and Jaheira after you boot her, and start her own adventuring party. They would tail you to the mines anyway since J+K had to investigate, then you could cross paths with them again at various points. Then in BG2 it would explain why Minsc and Jaheira were in Irenicus' dungeon.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 15, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Keith Atherton posted:

Its viable and fun. The thing to keep in mind is that evil doesn’t mean hated or insane. Sarevok was (for a bit) loved by the people because he was manipulative. I play it the same way where I’m looking to get people to like me while robbing them blind and killing off the occasional mouthy peasant as well.

Another way to play is to start as relatively good but as the games progress you become more and more inclined to evil acts, representing the taint of Bhaal spreading.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also get the Valen mod for BG2 so you have the option for an evil Thief

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
If you're playing the Enhanced Editions, Hexxat is a Thief.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
edit: found the answer with some more googling

Often Abbreviated fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 15, 2019

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bike tory posted:

If you're doing an evil LP with narrative license why not have Imoen join up with Khalid and Jaheira after you boot her, and start her own adventuring party. They would tail you to the mines anyway since J+K had to investigate, then you could cross paths with them again at various points. Then in BG2 it would explain why Minsc and Jaheira were in Irenicus' dungeon.

Oh, it's a problem I solved. I kept Imoen through the Naskel mines, and she's currently in Beregost, but she's going to roam a bit, with the aid of the console.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In the big city of BG in my current playthrough and making it a habit to visit all the houses and mark what I've found on my map. I had no idea there was so much unmarked poo poo in this city and I've been playing since the game came out. It's insane!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

In the big city of BG in my current playthrough and making it a habit to visit all the houses and mark what I've found on my map. I had no idea there was so much unmarked poo poo in this city and I've been playing since the game came out. It's insane!

I highly recommend Dudleyville. There's so much poo poo in this game you can easily miss every single playthrough, and not just in the city itself

http://forgottenwars.com/bg1/

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bike tory posted:

I highly recommend Dudleyville. There's so much poo poo in this game you can easily miss every single playthrough, and not just in the city itself

I've been trying to avoid those guides as much as possible over the years, unless I got stuck on a particular quest. It's exciting!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

bike tory posted:

Gamebanshee supremacy

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
For throughness you might prefer Dudley because he lists every single item in every single container in every single map.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Zeerust posted:

Is it only from the Enhanced Editions onwards that the Int limit on spell levels? I don't remember Imoen or other sub-18 int mages not being able to cast 9th level spells.

She goes back to normal just like Picard did 1 episode after he was also tortured by David Warner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Gamebanshee is invaluable just for the quality maps and trap locations.