Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Survivor Prime: subscribe now to get unlimited access to the night vision feeds of all the gross orgies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rarity posted:

The answer is exactly what you think it is

IDK, there was a couple a few seasons ago that are still married or whatever, though I guess they didn't hook up on show so much as just look like an awful couple.

Also wtf this first boot is weird. Mari seems like a random target and really seems like getting hot girl or her boy toy out first was most sensible move to cripple that alliance core. Hannah is a n anxious spaz, but like, not in the endearing or charming way, just the kind of irritating way.

precision posted:

Survivor Prime: subscribe now to get unlimited access to the night vision feeds of all the gross orgies

this link is broken fyi

edit: Hahaha Mari's exit talk was really gamer. "Salty" "I got sniped from a mile away"

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 14, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This season is fun, Jeff is enjoying the theme. He just brought up spelling "you" to the Gen Xers in the context of millennials using "u" because it's more efficient. The only person I ever text with you spells it "u" is my grandma lol

episode preview has cemented Michaela as my favorite for this season.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 14, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Survivor Extreme: contestants have access to all the alcohol, cigarettes and weed they want, but can only drink coffee and orange juice and no food

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

Okay, so it's Aubrey, Tai, some woman, and Cydney.

Ah, michelle is her name and she wins finally immunity. Guess she gets to pick which 2 people beat her lol.

Ha.

Khanstant posted:

That's what I hate. If the jury picks a pack of screaming howler monkeys to be winner, you gotta just throw ur hands up and accept "oh well by virtue of the fact that they got the most votes, they played the game the best."

No, that's not how Survivor works. You don't win Survivor by "playing the best", you win by getting the most jury votes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well yes and no. You have to play well in order to make it to the final 3 at all.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think it's less whether or not the jury likes you and more whether or not they respect you. I do think liking you makes it easier for them to respect you, but good gameplay and showing agency can overcome someone else being a Really Nice Dude.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

precision posted:

Well yes and no. You have to play well in order to make it to the final 3 at all.

That's not true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that by definition if you top 3 or win you did something right

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

precision posted:

Counterpoint: Gabon.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Does your performance in the orgy affect final tribal votes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One would certainly presume so!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

precision posted:

Survivor Extreme: contestants have access to all the alcohol, cigarettes and weed they want, but can only drink coffee and orange juice and no food

Oh man I would clean up at this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The metrics of what qualifies as 'good' Survivor play are entirely defined by the cast members of the season and thus what is good Survivor play changes from season to season.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I get really passionate about this much to the chagrin of my Survivor watching friends but it’s the truth! I work with juries as a profession so I’m biased in some way but also it provides insight.

The fundamental reason Survivor works as a long lasting game is the jury. The reason the game is so interesting is because you have to convince the people you’ve treated badly in some form to give you money.

If they ever made concrete criteria for winning (win X challenges, build fire against your F2 opponent, etc.), the entire game would fall apart and the show probably would have been cancelled.

“Resume building” works if a player has correctly identified that a majority of the jury (who they generally have spent time with and gotten to know) thinks that’s important. In many recent seasons, it is! Likeability works if a player has identified that’s what’s important to the other players.

Russell never figured this out and it’s why he lost constantly. Other winners have stumbled into it by chance, and good for them. Really sharp players like Sandra and Kim zeroed in on it early and won because they fundamentally understand Survivor.

People complain about “bitter juries,” but you have up to 39 days to feel out who is going to be bitter and who isn’t. If you end up in a game with potentially “bitter” people, you should know that when you vote them out and have a plan to deal with it.

Once the jury is gone, Survivor is a game show that doesn’t last more than a year or two.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah honestly having gone through nearly every season in the last year, its really obvious the jury system is why the entire game is even interesting to begin with and works at all. The jury system also pretty much guarantees drama is going to be generated (Whether with jury reaction shots, people making the jury or not, Final Tribal Council itself etc.), and if nothing else television cameras eat up drama.

It really is a winning formula they've created.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

precision posted:

precision posted:

You'd be mistaken. There are plenty of people who were dragged to final 3 and then had zero chance to win. It was their entire reason for being brought there. I'd argue that there are even a few winners who didn't play well (defined by being good at strategy or whatever the gently caress you think wins games).

The jury doesn't reward whoever played the winning game. They determine who played the winning game. There is a big difference.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 15, 2019

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Lol

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-season-40-to-include-controversial-twist-39160

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ahahaha gently caress off Survivor

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Title alone. :jerkbag:

Rest of the article. :jerkbag::jerkbag:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Duh, they want to get Boston Rob as much screen time as possible no matter how his game plays out.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I hope they at least scale the re-entry time back to something like F8 or 7.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Max posted:

I hope they at least scale the re-entry time back to something like F8 or 7.

There's no way that will happen unless the finale starts at F8 or 7.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah in my heart I know it’ll be the same late game addition.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I hope they at least make it so that not everyone one EoE feels like they can just stick around forever. Have air raid sirens go off every 15 minutes 24/7 or something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinterest Mom posted:

I hope they at least make it so that not everyone one EoE feels like they can just stick around forever. Have air raid sirens go off every 15 minutes 24/7 or something.

Have Reem there with no explaination just bitching everyone out 24/7

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Remember to put S40 stuff in spoiler tags!

Also: AUS Survivor starts up soon, and I may be the only person who's not excited for the Return of Luke.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

ApplesandOranges posted:

Remember to put S40 stuff in spoiler tags!

Also: AUS Survivor starts up soon, and I may be the only person who's not excited for the Return of Luke.

I'd genuinely love to know, just for science, what it is you don't like about Luke? Also, who did you like from that season? He seemed like a nice enough guy and was cognizant enough to know that he's there to bring entertainment, which he did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The 'big personality arrogant joker' types have never really worked well for me (see: Tyson). Nothing against people who like him though, he's just not my cup of tea.

I went to double check the cast of that season, and I'd probably say... Anneliese, Michelle, Tessa and Locky. The last one admittedly is for entirely shallow reasons.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I like Tyson as an entertaining player but he really waltzed his way to victory in Blood vs. Water.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To me Tyson's like, an amusing side character to make some jokes, walk the line of being contemptible, and then flame out in a funny way.

Him winning totally broke him for me.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

precision posted:

Also Shane is in the woods with a baggie of cocaine.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also Shane is in the woods with a baggie of cocaine.

No voting; you’re given a pack of cigarettes and if Shane manages to steal them from you, you have to leave.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Exile Island is just a lovely apartment, and Shane will find you there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

To me Tyson's like, an amusing side character to make some jokes, walk the line of being contemptible, and then flame out in a funny way.

Him winning totally broke him for me.

If you can't win by your third game, your win on 4th or 5th time out won't be impressive.

Ozzy and Cirie in Game Changers were my worst case scenario winners. On Game Changers.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
But Cirie's social game

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

If you can't win by your third game, your win on 4th or 5th time out won't be impressive.

Ozzy and Cirie in Game Changers were my worst case scenario winners. On Game Changers.

How do you feel about Rob possibly winning on both his 4th and 5th games?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

ApplesandOranges posted:

How do you feel about Rob possibly winning on both his 4th and 5th games?

4th, 5th, and 6th, God willing. I hope there's some challenge where he and Sandra get to join the game. It would be about on par for the previous and next seasons

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This is why a few seasons ago I was saying, "at least if the US version drives Survivor into the ground, we still have Australian Survivor!" Because... Probst doesn't seem to want to let Survivor be Survivor anymore.

Bigass Moth posted:

Duh, they want to get Boston Rob as much screen time as possible no matter how his game plays out.
Absolutely right, it's a total ratings gambit in this case imo. When they bring back returnees they wanna get the bang for their buck -- Redemption Island began in the Rob vs. Russell season, right? -- and with Extinction they can try to keep all the fans with a particular favorite player hooked on the line by way of the longshot chance their fave gets to come back into the game.

If they're bringing back Extinction for that season though, they should have invited Chris!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
They should put a giant statue of Chris' head on Extinction like the Rob/Sandra ones for this upcoming season and then refuse to explain it to the S40 players.

(I know it already filmed.)