Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

packetmantis posted:

Same, dude was a total Young Republican.

“Oh I went to a decades party dressed like a decade from he 19th century, I’m so loving clever.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

Same, dude was a total Young Republican.

Hello bias my old friend.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, his wager was smart, he couldn’t outbid him so he bet on him getting it wrong, the best way to go. He could have bet everything, he would have still lost.

Almost positive that if he had doubled up he could have beaten the goober depending on what the goober wagered.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
No, the new champ covered the bet

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Hello bias my old friend.

What the poo poo is this supposed to mean?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I have no idea why Newsweek (remember when they were still relevant?) ran an article about James stans somehow upset that when the lineup for the ToC was announced, he wasn’t gonna be playing against Ken Jennings for whatever reason. Like, do these people have no idea how ToCs work? Probably a headline writer taking liberties and the like. https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-tournament-champions-james-holzhauer-emma-boettcher-ken-jennings-1448600

Complaints about Emma not earning a slot for only being a 3 game winner too, but I guess that’s somewhat understandable since they skipped over so many other eligible players (Jackie would’ve made good ToC viewing, amongst others). But I respect the Jeopardy producers for bringing her back for the tournament for a possible rematch for the ratings and all that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

What the poo poo is this supposed to mean?

I was a little drunk last night and I think read too much into what you posted, so I would just ignore it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Spokes posted:

yeah, i could see *maybe* not being able to pull the author but they didn't even ask for it!

I would have blown it because I thought they were asking for the author's name. Welp.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I was completely useless on either board tonight, good lord

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

How did “Murphy Brown” turn out to be a difficult question? I must watch too much tv :v:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The reboot wasn't very popular. I could see how Roseanne might come to mind over Murphy Brown.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zero One posted:

The reboot wasn't very popular. I could see how Roseanne might come to mind over Murphy Brown.

My parents really liked the Murphy Brown reboot. They insisted that I watch an episode with them over Christmas, and it was terrible

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I did not know there was a Murphy Brown reboot.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Do we have to have a Dan Quayle reboot now?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Basically the whole setup is that she's still Murphy Brown and is living with her Millennial YouTube (or was it blog) journalist son. It was just about as painful to watch as you would expect. My parents also really liked the dog for some reason.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

HookShot posted:

I know because I saw an advertisement for it on the side of a bus true story.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically the whole setup is that she's still Murphy Brown and is living with her Millennial YouTube (or was it blog) journalist son. It was just about as painful to watch as you would expect. My parents also really liked the dog for some reason.

I think he was working for a Fox News-ish type channel. But the show was painfully bad because it wasn't funny. It was a really weird choice to reboot. They're rebooting Designing Women soon and it's like who could this possibly be for in 2019? I watched Murphy Brown as a kid and maybe it was more political than I remember, but all the promos for the reboot were like "The voice we need is back at this important time!" and I was like do what now? Yeah sure, that one time Dan Quayle bitched about a fictional character over being an unmarried mother, but we seem to be far past that point and mostly it was a standard workplace sitcom.

But I got the answer right!

I also like that someone chose "Roseanne Connor" as their answer which was wrong in so many ways.

HookShot posted:

Apparently no one did.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not sure if I've ever seen the situation they were in near the end of the second round: the only $2,000 clue left has to be the Daily Double, and you'd have to be pretty confident based on what's happened in that category (Lieder) so far that no one is gonna get it right. Her $2,000 bet was pointless to me -- just bet $0, but I'm wondering if an even better play would be to go back to one of those $400 clues, keep your hand off the buzzer, and let someone else trap themselves with it, assuming that contestants are in general very reluctant to do the $0 bet even when they really should.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Not sure if I've ever seen the situation they were in near the end of the second round: the only $2,000 clue left has to be the Daily Double, and you'd have to be pretty confident based on what's happened in that category (Lieder) so far that no one is gonna get it right. Her $2,000 bet was pointless to me -- just bet $0, but I'm wondering if an even better play would be to go back to one of those $400 clues, keep your hand off the buzzer, and let someone else trap themselves with it, assuming that contestants are in general very reluctant to do the $0 bet even when they really should.

To unhelpfully quibble, the minimum wager on a DD is $5

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm gonna play it safe. I'll wager zero dollars.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Until the $400 question was played I literally did not know what a lieder was. Music is my worst jeopardy area by far but I can’t remember being so stumped by any single category before.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ogmius815 posted:

Until the $400 question was played I literally did not know what a lieder was. Music is my worst jeopardy area by far but I can’t remember being so stumped by any single category before.

Conspiracy-theory me thinks that they are very desperately trying to avoid another James run. The categories and clues the last few weeks have been brutal.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It reminds me of when I started DVR-ing The Price Is Right a few years ago and noticed that the trips were to places like the Galapagos Islands or Micronesia or some other weird-rear end places that nobody could possibly know how much it costs to fly or stay there.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Timby posted:

Conspiracy-theory me thinks that they are very desperately trying to avoid another James run. The categories and clues the last few weeks have been brutal.

Yes, they desperately want to avoid huge ratings increases and people talking about the show

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

skaboomizzy posted:

It reminds me of when I started DVR-ing The Price Is Right a few years ago and noticed that the trips were to places like the Galapagos Islands or Micronesia or some other weird-rear end places that nobody could possibly know how much it costs to fly or stay there.

TPiR definitely increases the difficulty if they've given away too much; if you see Golden Road, you know they've been cleaned out recently. This article about how someone got the Showcase Showdown exactly right also goes into the pricing games: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a7922/price-is-right-perfect-bid-0810/

It wouldn't surprise if Jeopardy decided to throw more esoteric categories in to slow contestants down, as long as it doesn't turn into rigging the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it’s funny how terry kniess lied to every media outlet about how he won.

a price is right superfan in the audience gave him the prices. the guy made spreadsheets of all the prizes and prices and even coded his own computer version of the game to practice. he’s helped others win huge and it sucks for him because the time he got on he didn’t win huge.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 14, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ogmius815 posted:

:same:, this was probably one of the categories that the producers would’ve preferred people go from the top down with.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 15, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

a price is right superfan in the audience gave him the prices. the guy made spreadsheets of all the prizes and prices and even coded his own computer version of the game to practice. he’s helped others win huge and it sucks for him because the time he got on he didn’t win huge.

This feels like the exact utility of "the wheel" in terms of game design. Even if someone is capable of recalling every price on the spot, they still have to get past the phase of the game that is almost* entirely determined by luck.

It sucks that that guy, who is probably the best PiR player of all time, never got to the Showcase Showdown, but at least he seemed happy to be in the audience and help others!

(*: I guess technically someone could try to build a replica of it that matched it's dimensions and weight so that they'd know exactly how hard to spin it so that it lands on $1.00 no matter where the starting point is)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Groovelord Neato posted:

For anybody who hasn't watched "Perfect Bid", it's on netflix atm, highly recommended. I think it's also on amazon prime, but, you know, don't cross the picket line today or whatever.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Noted tree hater Woody Guthrie

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
"From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters 
This land was made for logging trees."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Captain von Trapp posted:

"From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters 
This land was made for logging trees."

lmaoooooooo

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Noted tree hater Woody Guthrie

I yelled at my TV after no one got it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I yelled at my TV after no one got it.

Me too, very frustrating.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that's gotta be one of the easiest clues i've seen be a triple stumper.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm just glad there's now a clip out there of Alex angrily saying "this machine kills fascists"

that was worth the rise in our collective blood pressure

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm just glad there's now a clip out there of Alex angrily saying "this machine kills fascists"

And yet the only machine to ever compete on Jeopardy! was built by a company that made tabulating machines for concentration camps

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

https://soundcloud.com/user-585377700-980805446/antifa-alex

if I wasn't an almost 40 year old professional I would make this my ringtone

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Someone put an Elizabethan collar on this fuckin parakeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Someone put an Elizabethan collar on this fuckin parakeet

Extremely strong Professor Frink energy