Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I thought Monster: The Zodiac Killer was a pretty decent true crime podcast. 22 Hours is only three or four episodes in but it seems pretty good as well.

Dirty John is a couple years old but it got made into a Dateline episode (as well as a Bravo TV series) so it's probably up her alley.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

My wife loves true crime tv shows like Dateline and 48 hours. She is marathon training and I am getting her into podcasts. She liked serial season 1 and past that I am striking out. Did not like season 2, S-town, or the wonderland murders. What should I have her try?

Seconding In the Dark and Criminal, the later of which is a bit different since it's episodic, it might be about a specific crime, a criminal, a victim, or investigator. They vary from tragic, weird, or just hilarious.

Another one to check out is Ear Hustle which is produced inside of San Quinton State Prison where one of the hosts is incarcerated.

Lastly there's Dr. Death which is in the more normal true crime format, and about a criminally negligent (or possibly homicidal) spinal surgeon and is one of the most :gonk: things I've ever heard of.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Awesome! I got the first 2 episodes of all of those!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looking for extremely under produced comedy podcasts with at least three people and at least one female regular. What a time to be alive would be my gold standard here.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Is there a podcast that investigates the structures of things like large scale tax evasion or the CumEx-Files or similar economical/political crime schemes? Basically a true crime podcast for white collar crime?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I would love that, too. I think that's going to be (an admittedly less interesting) part of the Epstein story, if he was e.g. kind of a shell entity for Les Wexner to avoid taxes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Splicer posted:

Looking for extremely under produced comedy podcasts with at least three people and at least one female regular. What a time to be alive would be my gold standard here.

Cum town.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey y'all, looking for a podcast that's about dumb tech stuff, i tried trashfuture but it didnt really click with me & audio issues made me give up.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

cebrail posted:

Is there a podcast that investigates the structures of things like large scale tax evasion or the CumEx-Files or similar economical/political crime schemes? Basically a true crime podcast for white collar crime?

Gangster Capitalism, first season is about college admission scandal.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Argona posted:

Hey y'all, looking for a podcast that's about dumb tech stuff, i tried trashfuture but it didnt really click with me & audio issues made me give up.

Sh!tpost

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

My wife loves true crime tv shows like Dateline and 48 hours. She is marathon training and I am getting her into podcasts. She liked serial season 1 and past that I am striking out. Did not like season 2, S-town, or the wonderland murders. What should I have her try?

Murderville, GA. It's by Intercept studio so quality of production and journalism is higher than most true crime.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

evilpicard posted:

Murderville, GA. It's by Intercept studio so quality of production and journalism is higher than most true crime.

Thanks!

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
Anybody else enjoy Benjamin Walker's Theory of Everything?

It's a blend of real political and social discussion with some (frequently absurdist) fiction. Generally it's pretty funny, but usually attacks serious issues or discusses real philosophical questions.

I find it to be well-produced content that has good interviews, appropriately chosen music, and critical commentary.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Everyone should check out marc maron's interview with david lee roth, it's somewhere between cat drugs and galaxy brain. Roth is like a character from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the gonzo spirit is strong in this one.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

cebrail posted:

I didn't know I wanted this, but I do.

evilpicard posted:

Gangster Capitalism, first season is about college admission scandal.

This is really good. I also liked Against the Rules (not as specific, but great), and The Dream (about pyramid schemes).

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Any good podcasts about cults in general? I like less true-crimey stuff but I'm not totally against it as long as it's more Last Poscast on the Left Style rather than Sword and Scale.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Heaven's Gate team has done a lot of great audio journalism.

There's a couple cult of the week podcasts but I hate the production and narration.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Dream is about MLMs and it's culty as gently caress

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Speaking of cults, are there any podcasts about improv? I don't mean podcasts where people are doing improvised comedy but like a primer or history of the different groups and schools, as I listen to more podcasts people toss references to things like The Groundlings and Upright Citizens Brigade out with zero explanation and it's made even more puzzling by the way that some comedians speak of them glowingly while others accuse them of being cults and scams and referencing a bunch of controversies.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Any good podcasts about cults in general? I like less true-crimey stuff but I'm not totally against it as long as it's more Last Poscast on the Left Style rather than Sword and Scale.

Escaping NXIVM is spectacular, and more about the process of exiting a cult then the cult itself. There are a ton of great cult-themed episodes of the wonderful (now defunct, I think?) podcast Here Be Monsters. And The Gateway is a good recent one about a phony YouTube spiritual cult guru lady.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Since apparently every comedian now has a podcast, I'd like to draw some attention to Gettin' Better with Ron Funches. In today's hellworld of negativity, he's a bright light of positivity and good vibes. I also think he's pretty funny, and seems like a cool guy with a good attitude. It's a nice pallette cleanser for when the world's got you down.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Sleeveless posted:

Speaking of cults, are there any podcasts about improv? I don't mean podcasts where people are doing improvised comedy but like a primer or history of the different groups and schools, as I listen to more podcasts people toss references to things like The Groundlings and Upright Citizens Brigade out with zero explanation and it's made even more puzzling by the way that some comedians speak of them glowingly while others accuse them of being cults and scams and referencing a bunch of controversies.
Matt Besser -- one of the founders of UCB -- runs the Improv4Humans podcast and has occasionally done some interesting "behind the scenes" episodes that describe UCB's founding and approach, and has occasionally contrasted/critiqued it with other schools' approaches, and responded to some badmouthing of UCB by other schools. Here's some:
Unfortunately, all of the older issues of the podcast with this content have been shoved behind a "Stitcher Premium" paywall.

It looks like there's a free trial for Stitcher, so you could probably grab the episodes that interest you if it crosses your :effort: threshold.

\/\/ The Patreon is news to me and sounds interesting. I bought the UCB Manual for someone else and thought it was good after reading through it. One of the points I found worth reading/hearing about was that the improv trope of "yes, and" is better expressed as "if this thing is true, then what else is true?" That nuance explained why some of the funnier bits I heard in improv worked because they actually challenged the premise instead of just accepting it.

onionradish fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 17, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

onionradish posted:

Matt Besser -- one of the founders of UCB -- runs the Improv4Humans podcast and has occasionally done some interesting "behind the scenes" episodes that describe UCB's founding and approach, and has occasionally contrasted/critiqued it with other schools' approaches, and responded to some badmouthing of UCB by other schools. Here's some:
Unfortunately, all of the older issues of the podcast with this content have been shoved behind a "Stitcher Premium" paywall.

It looks like there's a free trial for Stitcher, so you could probably grab the episodes that interest you if it crosses your :effort: threshold.

He also has his Patreon show about learning comedy called Professor Besser.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Any recomendations for good boardgame podcasts? I more or less stumbled over Tom Chick's boardgame podcast, mainly because I read his movie reviews, but there are probably other ones out there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

mike12345 posted:

Any recomendations for good boardgame podcasts? I more or less stumbled over Tom Chick's boardgame podcast, mainly because I read his movie reviews, but there are probably other ones out there.

Shut Up and Sit Down's podcast is pretty amusing, and they've got 98 episodes in the can so you won't run out anytime soon.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Shut Up and Sit Down's podcast is pretty amusing, and they've got 98 episodes in the can so you won't run out anytime soon.

yeah that's really excellent, also love their youtube channel. other 'casts I picked up:

* Board Game Barrage
* So Very Wrong About Games
* Heavy Cardboard
* Ludology
* The Dice Tower

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Robert Evans of Behind The Bastards confirmed goon.

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1156982092850274304

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
We're still alive, you cretins! :argh:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Doppelganger posted:

Robert Evans of Behind The Bastards confirmed goon.

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1156982092850274304

Come back and post!

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
A while ago, I think people in here were talking about Missing Richard Simmons, It was really popular but there were reservations about the host butting into Simmons' private life. I might be combining a few conversations about it into this thread, but I know it was mentioned. Even though Im behind the times does someone wanna fill me in on the general opinion?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I bought archives (and plat and an av) recently, I think. Not for any real reason other than i wanted to contribute something to the site that has informed and entertained me for years now, for almost nothing.

Anyway back on topic, I'm looking for a podcast of funny clever British people talking about cool stuff. British because I already listen to loads of US shows and the three UK shows I listen to (these being the crate and crowbar, PC gamer podcast, and the Jim and Dave (and Burns) podcast) are mostly focused on gaming and or entertainment media, and their release schedules are spotty at best.

I'm not arsed if it's yet another gaming podcast or if it's about Brexit or space or whatever, I just want to listen to people from my country having interesting discussions about things - and sometimes having a laugh while doing it - on a reliably regular basis.

Oh, and I already have gossip mongers subscribed, just to pre-empt the incoming posts saying that if I hadn't said this. Can't wait for that to come back.

Lastly, I'll make a recommendation of my own:
Daniel and Jorge explain the universe.

Daniel is a particle physicist and Jorge is a cartoonist who acts as an audience surrogate while Daniel explains the topic of the week to him. Topics cover all the usual things you would expect from a science podcast.

The reason I like the show, though, isn't particularly for the content, although that is very good. Anyone that watches channels like vsauce, answers with Joe, john michael goiter, Fraser cane and all those lot will probably already know most of what's covered in any given episode that is about a topic that already interests them.

No, for me, this makes it the ideal material to fall asleep to. They have calm, dreamy music during the interludes and they speak with really soothing voices. But really it's the dad-joke nerdy humour that keeps me coming back. It is brutally cringey and it's excellent. Like I'm pretty sure they know how uncool and groanworthy they are and they shamelessly lean into it, and for me it just works. Plus, daniel really does seem like he knows his stuff, and Jorge has a knack of honing in on the question the viewer probably has in their head if Daniel isn't explaining something clearly enough.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 3, 2019

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

You should listen to the Beef and Dairy Network podcast. It's British and for people involved with, or just interested in, the production of beef animals and dairy herds.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
There's always the BBC stuff. I like the Friday Night Comedy podcast. Though the new one isn't that great, I think it might grow on me.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Azathoth posted:

You should listen to the Beef and Dairy Network podcast. It's British and for people involved with, or just interested in, the production of beef animals and dairy herds.

+1 subscribed

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Haha I'll give it a go. I mean how bad can it be.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Huh I had heard of that beef and dairy podcast but somehow never realized it was comedy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Snowy posted:

Huh I had heard of that beef and dairy podcast but somehow never realized it was comedy

it's not, beef is no laughing matter. It's not like it's some foolish meat like pork. :colbert:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

life is a joke posted:

A while ago, I think people in here were talking about Missing Richard Simmons, It was really popular but there were reservations about the host butting into Simmons' private life. I might be combining a few conversations about it into this thread, but I know it was mentioned. Even though Im behind the times does someone wanna fill me in on the general opinion?

Consensus seemed to be that the host was being weirdly invasive into the life of a stranger who hadn’t done anything wrong and just decided to leave the public spotlight for his own reasons, and he doesn’t have to explain himself to the host.

I didn’t listen but sounds like the host thought he was going to be breaking a big story about Simmons, gradually realized that Simmons just wanted to be left alone, and the host released it anyway to get attention.

quote:

Richard Simmons, by his own account, and by the accounts of his brother, his manager, his publicist, and officers in the Los Angeles Police Department, is fine. The former home-fitness guru and television personality is not being held hostage by his housekeeper, nor is he suffering from debilitating depressive episodes. But he does want to be left alone, to live quietly and privately, out of the public eye.

quote:

Taberski, a producer who previously worked on The Daily Show, doesn’t seem to think of himself as a journalist, but he undertook journalistic work in investigating why Simmons might have decided to recede from public life, interviewing family, friends, and hardcore fans over the course of several months. He ambushed Simmons’s brother at his home in New Orleans. He showed up uninvited at Simmons’s own house, asking to see him, and was turned away. (“I’m creepy. I’m a creepy friend,” he confessed during the stunt.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/03/the-ethical-minefield-of-missing-richard-simmons/520407/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The Digs last episode on hourly work is really loving good