Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katt posted:

Nobody that is not a smoker wants someone smoking within smelling distance of them, at any time, ever. :v:

Like how is this not obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Like half my friend circle are smokers, and I’ve no idea why it’s as common as it is. They strike me as decently considerate smokers, but I’m not sure I’m the greatest judge since I haven’t been bothered by people smoking around me for years.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I’m an American in Oslo and the smoking doesn’t seem that crazy compared to elsewhere in Europe but the amount of those little snus pouches everywhere on the ground is loving disgusting and also the amount of people who are like “yeah cigarettes are gross and bad for you” while putting a pouch in baffles me.

Yeah I know this is a kebab shop, I’ll have a #2 without corn.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Katt posted:

Nobody that is not a smoker wants someone smoking within smelling distance of them, at any time, ever. :v:
Yeah. From the point of view of a non-smoker, someone deciding to smoke in a public space has pretty much already signaled that they don't give a poo poo, so why even bother complaining? Smelling distance is incidentally pretty loving far unless the smoker is downwind, like, you can be annoying people who are far enough away that you can't even really make out their faces.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gaukler posted:

I know this is a bit of a derail, but if there's any place where you shouldn't need some lame-duck excuse as a pre-response to an especially idiotic meme, it's D&D on SA.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah. From the point of view of a non-smoker, someone deciding to smoke in a public space has pretty much already signaled that they don't give a poo poo, so why even bother complaining? Smelling distance is incidentally pretty loving far unless the smoker is downwind, like, you can be annoying people who are far enough away that you can't even really make out their faces.
What pisses me off is when smokers smokers will have a cigarette ready to light up the second they step out of the bus as if they can't possibly expected to restrain themselves from sucking cancer dickssticks straight into their lungs the very second they have the option, they'll stand (usually in groups, so it's impossible to get between them without getting a lungful of cancer) right next to a door (that's usually open so they don't get quite so cold, completely ignoring the fact that the smoke often drifts in the door), or when they they think that just because a place that serves food has open-air seats that suddenly gives them the right to ruin the meals of everyone else around them by lighting up before, during, and after their meal.

I've had cancer once already, there is absolutely nothing good about it. I don't want to have it again because some inconsiderate fuckwad.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I sure hope all of you bike or ride public transit exclusively or you can get hosed. I quit full-stop a few months ago, although I haven't smoked with any sort of regularity for years, but there's really nothing like sanctimonious anti-smoking militancy to make you want to light up again. I'm all for blanket indoor bans, price hikes, age restrictions, putting people who litter in the stocks and executing tobacco executives, but I'm simply amazed that people still trot out the incredulous "Don't they know it's bad for them?!" line in 2019. Of course they loving do. Maybe there's a host of complex societal and psychological issues at work that still drive people, especially poor people, to smoke cigarettes. Nicotine is typically grouped with the likes of heroin in terms of addictiveness and difficulty quitting, so perhaps be glad of the headway made in the past decades and stop throwing a tantrum every time you catch a whiff of tobacco smoke on main street.

Edit: I had the reply window open, this wasn't in response to the previous post, just FYI. Smokers should be considerate within reason, obviously.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 15, 2019

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

I sure hope all of you bike or ride public transit exclusively or you can get hosed. I quit full-stop a few months ago, although I haven't smoked with any sort of regularity for years, but there's really nothing like sanctimonious anti-smoking militancy to make you want to light up again. I'm all for blanket indoor bans, price hikes, age restrictions, putting people who litter in the stocks and executing tobacco executives, but I'm simply amazed that people still trot out the incredulous "Don't they know it's bad for them?!" line in 2019. Of course they loving do. Maybe there's a host of complex societal and psychological issues at work that still drive people, especially poor people, to smoke cigarettes. Nicotine is typically grouped with the likes of heroin in terms of addictiveness and difficulty quitting, so perhaps be glad of the headway made in the past decades and stop throwing a tantrum every time you catch a whiff of tobacco smoke on main street.
This is the third type of liberalism.

e: More generously, I think you're seeing stronger criticism than people are putting forward. My point about being able to smell smoke from far away isn't that it's necessarily a huge bother at those distances, more to illustrate that stepping a few feet away isn't a solution to you bothering people within talking distance.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 15, 2019

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I hate inconsiderate people who smoke at the bus stop, people who are drenched in so much perfume you can smell them across the room, people in conversation blocking the aisle with a loaded shopping cart, loud motorcyclists, people who honk to say hello, and people who put their garbage outside the miljöstation because they forgot the key, a whole lot less than I hate people with sticks so far up their self-absorbed asses they develop prejudices and whine about it on political debate forums.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Edit: I had the reply window open, this wasn't in response to the previous post, just FYI. Smokers should be considerate within reason, obviously.
Yeah, that's fair - my post really should've come with the 'smokers = some smokers' caveat emptor, because obviously it's not all smokers, nor probably even most smokers nowadays. It's likely just a minority that are downright lacking in civility and respect for other people. It's not even as if I'm one of those sanctimoneous anti-smokers, I'm way too loving shy around strangers to say anything - it's just that sometimes we (all, evidently :v:) have a need to rant.
I only ride my bike or take public transport, as my eyes are so bad I'm not allowed a drivers license in Denmark.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sorry about your eyesight and the cancer. Let's unite in our mutual disdain for inconsiderate people, be they smokers or non.

I don't have a license because I get sufficiently agitated with other drivers as a passenger. Can't do anything about bus drivers, unfortunately.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Sorry about your eyesight and the cancer. Let's unite in our mutual disdain for inconsiderate people, be they smokers or non.

I don't have a license because I get sufficiently agitated with other drivers as a passenger. Can't do anything about bus drivers, unfortunately.
No need to feel sorry for me; I don't even notice the first problem anymore, and I'm trying to get used to the idea of not worrying about cancer.
Instead, we can glare balefully at all the inconsiderate people!
Incidentally, the word 'olm' is a really good one.

Yeah, the few times a year I have to go to Aarhus to get examined and get the scan results from my oncologist, I get to call kørselskontoret and order what's essentially a taxi-ride down there, and I get the joy of spending about an hour and a half on route 11 and E45 and being an absolute nerve-wreck from both worrying about the driver (and all the other drivers), as well as the results of the scan. And then I get to go home which is almost as bad.
gently caress having an over-active imagination that lets you imagine a car crash in the time it takes the driver to correct something.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gaukler posted:

I’m an American in Oslo and the smoking doesn’t seem that crazy compared to elsewhere in Europe but the amount of those little snus pouches everywhere on the ground is loving disgusting and also the amount of people who are like “yeah cigarettes are gross and bad for you” while putting a pouch in baffles me.

In Norway at least there has been a concurrent rise in the use of snus, especially among young people, while smoking cigarettes has gone down. They are kind of right though, it doesn't really carry the same risk of cancer as smoking does, though it will gently caress up your teeth and your gums, and it is really addictive (and it is really disgusting especially when put on store aisles, dinner plates and in not quite empty coffe cups), at least judging by the number of my friends who use it and how many times they've tried and failed to quit.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's a complete and utter loving mystery to me how young people pick up smoking in 2019, or for that matter in the last 10 if not 20 years.

I once worked at an institute focused on cancer research where 1/3 of the staff (PhDs, postdocs, technicians and professors)all went out smoking in the breaks.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Many people try snus as an attempt to quit smoking and then just end up doing both instead.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katt posted:

Many people try snus as an attempt to quit smoking and then just end up doing both instead.

The problem with moving from cigarettes to nicotine of any other form is that you lose the ritual, especially in social terms. It's really incredible on how many levels the brain will gently caress you for trying to quit smoking. Still easier than going cold turkey though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ask me about my previous concurrent use of cigs, gum and (rarely) vape. :suicide:

I'd probably quit the gum if there was a nicotine-free analogue to Nicorette Fruitmint that held the taste as long. Can't do anything about my hosed up jaw, though, but at least I never touched that nasty-rear end snus.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Still easier than going cold turkey though.
Is it? When I quit cold turkey was the only thing that felt remotely doable.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Smoking is a great loving ice breaker.
I

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Generally speaking.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Katt posted:

A friend of mine somehow took up smoking in one of his attempts to quit snus. Now he's doing both.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

... people who put their garbage outside the miljöstation because they forgot the key...

And dump plastic bags and wires in the common compost mulcher.

To them:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yooouuuuuuuuu

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Summary execution for those who leave their dog poo poo bagged on the ground.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm ok with 20 years of hard labor for those, executions would be for those that don't even wrap their dogs poo poo in plastic. Also, all teenagers that break bottles of glass on the playground and leaves the shards all over should be forced to pick dogshit for a summer.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Neither is tolerable, but at least I can kind of follow the mindset of "I'm lazy and it's biodegradable :downs:", but if you already brought something for the express purpose of carrying it away and take the time to wrap it up, why would you leave it there? Goddamn savages.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i have walked dogs who took many small shits and run out of bags in the past

it's a shameful experience to be sure, never getting a dog of my own

fnox
May 19, 2013

I notice a bunch of loving kids smoking in Malmö. Seems like it's all peer pressure? Everyone's trying to be way too cool in this city. Möllevången used to have a ton of people smoking outside on Fridays.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Neither is tolerable, but at least I can kind of follow the mindset of "I'm lazy and it's biodegradable :downs:", but if you already brought something for the express purpose of carrying it away and take the time to wrap it up, why would you leave it there? Goddamn savages.

"Biodegradable" plastic is a scam anyway.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

fnox posted:

I notice a bunch of loving kids smoking in Malmö. Seems like it's all peer pressure? Everyone's trying to be way too cool in this city. Möllevången used to have a ton of people smoking outside on Fridays.

Kids started smoking at around 12-13 years 25 years ago in Malmö, so younger than that?
Haven’t you heard about Rökrutan at schools?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
How the gently caress are you people still talking about this? Yall like to forbid stuff, we get it. It obviously impossible to talk to you guys/gals about this, you have actually continue this derail with a lot of circle jerk. Its been like 3 pages now, we get it, can we get back to politics now? This last page has been the most swedes.txt I have ever seen.

I mean you all come back to the same argument :smokers are stupid, well homeboys, yall are stupid as hell as well, most humans are.

Sorry for the attitude, just frustrating when one of the best forums for scandi politics descends into this poo poo.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 16, 2019

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Zombiepop posted:

How the gently caress are you people still talking about this? Yall like to forbid stuff, we get it. It obviously impossible to talk to you guys/gals about this, you have actually continue this derail with a lot of circle jerk. Its been like 3 pages now, we get it, can we get back to politics now? This last page has been the most swedes.txt I have ever seen.

I mean you all come back to the same argument :smokers are stupid, well homeboys, yall are stupid as hell as well, most humans are.

Card-carrying LUF member identified.

It's summer. There's gently caress all going on in politics, except for KD and SD making out behind the barn. Not even Sabuni taking over L makes any waves, as she hasn't said anything about what she plans to do with the party.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evil_bunnY posted:

My dad quit cold turkey, but that was pipe smoking, not cigarettes, and he also had a heart attack for additional motivation.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lima posted:

"Biodegradable" plastic is a scam anyway.

I was talking about the turds.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The green bio bags we get for compostable/bio waste in Copenhagen are actually biodegradable, as anyone who's forgotten to take the bag out for a week will tell you :v:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

KozmoNaut posted:

The green bio bags we get for compostable/bio waste in Copenhagen are actually biodegradable, as anyone who's forgotten to take the bag out for a week will tell you :v:

Nemlig.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I wonder how widespread the "dump everything into the same chamber, nullifying all your sorting efforts" thing from Vordingborg municipality actually is. Probably very.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

lilljonas posted:

It's summer. There's gently caress all going on in politics, except for KD and SD making out behind the barn. Not even Sabuni taking over L makes any waves, as she hasn't said anything about what she plans to do with the party.

Yeah, it's silly season.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

There's renewed interest in the case of the Danish state allowing the Taliban to stone a kid to death for being the wrong ethnicity. DF is, unsurprisingly, totally cool with it.

You could basically follow the decision to have the kid murdered in real time. The two brothers were on TV before the deportation, outlining their fears and hopes for the future. The murdered kid wanted to be a doctor. Then he was deported and almost immediately killed, while the elder brother escaped to one of Iran's lovely refugee camps. Their deportation was decided under Thorning, but effectuated by Støjberg. Reason being that the Hazara aren't personally persecuted.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Good one, tjomme identified. The left will eat itself etc.

Regarding politics, hm idk there is some discussion about nuclear power and ringhals, The Swedish prison are full, e-scooters cant be stopped because of lacking regulation.

But I guess none of that is politics, compared to a anti-smoking circle jerk.

I would like to ask the local danes how the it comes you are one of Europas top consumers of cocain? Lax laws or just an appetite?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zombiepop posted:

Good one, tjomme identified. The left will eat itself etc.

Regarding politics, hm idk there is some discussion about nuclear power and ringhals, The Swedish prison are full, e-scooters cant be stopped because of lacking regulation.

But I guess none of that is politics, compared to a anti-smoking circle jerk.

I would like to ask the local danes how the it comes you are one of Europas top consumers of cocain? Lax laws or just an appetite?

i mean if you want to discuss those things you can bring them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm guessing those are made from bioplastic which actually works :v:

Zombiepop posted:

More chefs/journalists/politicians per capita.

Real answer: Do you have any data on nicotine-stained hand newer than the 2017 UN report?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_prevalence_of_cocaine_use