Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It seems like most previews had Byleth as a merc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

And Ike.

And he’s the only Tellius character.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I know we've seen all the generic classes but I will be astounded if Byleth and the three house leaders don't all have exclusive master classes.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Since I was bored, I threw together a sheet based on all known information for all the units. The first sheet is weapon proficiencies with preferences, and the second is skills and crests

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wlM9QLtT2txGR9gB503AA4GvGAJcF0euh2OpXBCc_qA/edit?usp=sharing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

yeah mage byleth doesnt really seem like a thing they want you to do, and you get byleth's magic sword pretty early and theres an entire option in the monastery for restoring uses to it so i imagine thief or mercenary are their only real options

Bit of a shame to not have the option.

I kinda expect at least one or two of the mage students require Byleth to train in magic to recruit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, you do have the option.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Maybe the RNG will just give you a high MAG

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Since I was bored, I threw together a sheet based on all known information for all the units. The first sheet is weapon proficiencies with preferences, and the second is skills and crests

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wlM9QLtT2txGR9gB503AA4GvGAJcF0euh2OpXBCc_qA/edit?usp=sharing
Couple things, Felix's crest is actually major, not minor. I think a couple of the others are, too. One of Lysithea's? Also I think Dedue and Linhardt's skills work if they move then wait.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 14, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, it's not even like Byleth has bad starting magic. Of all the students, there is precisely one that starts with more than 6 magic outside the obvious mages (it's Lorenz, who's almost perfectly balanced - STR 8, MAG 7), and most start with less. So combine that with Byleth not disliking either type of magic and it's certainly feasible to turn them into a decent mage if their MAG growth rate isn't terrible (and/or you get good RNG). And as pointed out Byleth has a budding talent in Faith magic, so there's at least some unique benefit to boosting it anyways.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Endorph posted:

Couple things, Felix's crest is actually major, not minor. I think a couple of the others are, too. One of Lysithea's? Also I think Dedue and Linhardt's skills work if they move then wait.

Good catches, I'll edit those

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Also, it's probably better to have uniform colors for all three houses so it's less bothersome to read.

e: Oh they're supposed to correspond to the house colors. I guess that's fine then

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 15, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carlosologist posted:

Good catches, I'll edit those

This is really cool, thanks for the good work! I just want to point out that the weapon table for the Black Eagles says "Yellow highlight: Unit's preferred skill", yet the actual color used is red. Also, it's Seiros, not Serios.

I'm also getting more conflicted over which house I should start with. I still generally think the Golden Deer characters are better, but I like the stat/weapon proficiency distribution of the Blue Lions a bit more. And seeing how often the Crest of Gloucester shows up in various places, it seems like it would be pretty good to have Sylvain in your roster. But on the other hand, Lysithea apparently has the major Crest of Gloucester? And Sylvain only has the minor crest? And Sylvain had an older brother who was disinherited because he lacked a crest? Wtf is going on here? One thing's for sure, whether I choose Golden Deer of Blue Lions, I will do my best to recruit Sylvain or Lysithea, respectively.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

We know crests in this game don't work like holy blood in FE4, despite the similarities. Only some kids in the family get crests, all stronger blood does is improve the odds. And very rarely crests can manifest in people with seemingly no ancestry.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Torrannor posted:

This is really cool, thanks for the good work! I just want to point out that the weapon table for the Black Eagles says "Yellow highlight: Unit's preferred skill", yet the actual color used is red. Also, it's Seiros, not Serios.

I'm also getting more conflicted over which house I should start with. I still generally think the Golden Deer characters are better, but I like the stat/weapon proficiency distribution of the Blue Lions a bit more. And seeing how often the Crest of Gloucester shows up in various places, it seems like it would be pretty good to have Sylvain in your roster. But on the other hand, Lysithea apparently has the major Crest of Gloucester? And Sylvain only has the minor crest? And Sylvain had an older brother who was disinherited because he lacked a crest? Wtf is going on here? One thing's for sure, whether I choose Golden Deer of Blue Lions, I will do my best to recruit Sylvain or Lysithea, respectively.

Sylvain doesn't have a Crest of Gloucester at all, he's got a minor Crest of Gautier. The other student with Gloucester is Lorenz, who is also in Golden Deer. And Lysithea apparently having that major crest is likely going to be some sort of plot point, given all the official material released has only mentioned her having a minor Crest of Charon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How possible will it be to teach all my children to be Ikes and how possible will it be to expel any failson who is bad at Iking

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How possible will it be to teach all my children to be Ikes and how possible will it be to expel any failson who is bad at Iking
mercenary and hero are male only

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endorph posted:

I believe in ikequality this is an outrage

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m going for Swordmaster FByleth and my daughter Petra will also be a Swordmaster

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
*looks at Dorothea’s preferences* so the game wants me to turn her into Celica right

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

*looks at Dorothea’s preferences* so the game wants me to turn her into Celica right

Yes, if Celica could dance, because dancers are swords and magic in this game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So Dancer Byleth might be a decent idea.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Geralt alt account spotted

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its still super weird to me we've confirmed that men get exclusive access to Dark mages/Bishops and Mercenaries/Heroes while women only get Pegasus Knights. Especially after Fates finally got rid of gender locked classes and we saw the traditionally men only warriors were open. :(

Were any of the Master Classes gender locked? I haven't had a chance to review the video.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I hope the weapon ranks aren't Fates esque in how absurdly slow it is. I spammed heal like crazy with Felicia and she only barely got max staff rank despite doing most of the paralogues.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tae posted:

I hope the weapon ranks aren't Fates esque in how absurdly slow it is. I spammed heal like crazy with Felicia and she only barely got max staff rank despite doing most of the paralogues.

tutoring will speed it up if nothing else.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Zore posted:

Its still super weird to me we've confirmed that men get exclusive access to Dark mages/Bishops and Mercenaries/Heroes while women only get Pegasus Knights. Especially after Fates finally got rid of gender locked classes and we saw the traditionally men only warriors were open. :(

Were any of the Master Classes gender locked? I haven't had a chance to review the video.

Falcon Knight and Gremory are female only and War Master is male only. The only class that's possibly a good idea as a gender locked one is Pegasus Knight as a way to reduce flying units at the early parts of the game. Other than that it's really silly.

I'm not really sure what's going on with the magic classes either as Dark Bishop is advanced level class that's gender locked to males and Gremory is the master level dedicated magic class and that's gender locked to females.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fates weapon rank gains definitely felt balanced with a worry that without weapon durability it was the only limiting factor left on slapping great weapons on everyone at all times

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't understand why they'd let women be brigands and warriors if war master is male only.

Ugh, this class system is weird as hell.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Mokinokaro posted:

So Dancer Byleth might be a decent idea.
This actually has me interested.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
How many units can you usually field at once? Looks like most of the previews have their whole class on the map in any given mission.

Also, can anyone clarify how adjutants work? From what I understand there's no more pair up during battle, you assign them before deployment and there's no separating. Is that the case, and if so what happens to the adjutant if the lead unit dies?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Made additional edits based on what you guys have been saying. Once the game comes out let me know what else I should add!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wait, can males be dancers?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
What do weapon ranks like "E+" and "D+" mean anyway? Has that ever been explained?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's just a new intermediary rank. Gives you more abilities/Combat Arts, but doesn't let you use new weapons (well, I think).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jawdins posted:

Also, can anyone clarify how adjutants work? From what I understand there's no more pair up during battle, you assign them before deployment and there's no separating. Is that the case, and if so what happens to the adjutant if the lead unit dies?

Afaik, adjutants are just a way to share xp. They don't add new attacks or anything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Basically, you will always have everyone on par with levels SoV style since your roster is relatively small for each route.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

We don't know yet.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The final house video is up now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK5doMgxxc0

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

It’s weird because Hero is male only but I’m pretty sure Mercenary isn’t gender locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

marshmallow creep posted:

If they can’t be... well, at least I have FFXIV, but I’ll still be disappointed.