Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I think the important thing to remember though is that Winnipeg sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

The dirty nil are budget sum41 and you should listen to them

You should listen to them but they aren't really like them no.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

They gave off that vibe during the one show I saw, at least musically; no idea what they're like as people :confused:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Bilirubin posted:

one great city is actually a thinly veiled love note to the city of winnipeg

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Bilirubin posted:

Raises hand to protest.
Opens mouth.
I notice I live in Winnipeg.
Put down hand and angrily stuff a chicken finger with honey dill sauce in my mouth.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

So is Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Some would say the honey dill almost makes it worth it

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

How bad is Winnipeg really? I've only visited briefly like a decade ago when i was training at Shilo, my impression was ok. However, even Brandon was good compared to Shilo. UofManitoba encouraged me to apply to a masters program there, and im curious if its really that bad there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

How bad is Winnipeg really? I've only visited briefly like a decade ago when i was training at Shilo, my impression was ok. However, even Brandon was good compared to Shilo. UofManitoba encouraged me to apply to a masters program there, and im curious if its really that bad there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Winnipeg: How bad could it really be?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I see

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
It's also haunted by a terrifying 10 year old

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
which deserves to be nuked more? Hamilton or Winnipeg?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

incontinence 100 posted:

Why do I only have one nuke in this situation?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

incontinence 100 posted:

Winnipeg. Is this even a question?

Hell nuking it might make it more habitable

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

incontinence 100 posted:

Hamilton because it will also hit Toronto

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bilirubin posted:

Actually it rules.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Actually it rules.

giant mosquito account detected

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DariusLikewise posted:

I dunno if I'd go that far but there's a pretty pointed contrast between the people saying "I hate Winnipeg" and the developer saying he loves it while destroying it for profit.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Virtual Russian posted:

It's fine. Maybe not as much stuff as other cities, but it's affordable and I definitely wouldn't be able to have my current QoL if I was living elsewhere. I also appreciate being able to commute by bike to anywhere in the city in a reasonable amount of time; the only time I ever use my car is when visiting my family in the sticks, and even then I can bike if I make a weekend of it.

The racism is because of Canada's inbuilt prejudice against Indigenous peoples, which is amplified because they make up a larger demographic portion of the population in Manitoba compared to the rest of the country. I think Winnipeg also has the highest total urban population of Indigenous people across the country, so the effects from generations of institutional racism are more visible here for ignorant bigots to latch onto.

The flip side of that is that the resurgence of Indigenous cultural practices seems to be really healthy and visible here compared to other cities in the country (mainly Ojibwe, Cree, and Metis), which is pretty cool and good.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's also haunted by a terrifying 10 year old

Nah, he's over in Brandon now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/brandon-crash-1.4345381

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Winnipeg is aggressively Okay. It's not bad enough to make people leave, but it constantly makes you wonder what life would be like in a place that wasn't Winnipeg. Cycling within city limits is good, but long-distance cycling is really lovely as there are really no good cycling routes that lead anywhere unless you love riding the shoulder of the highway. The city is full of people that loving love driving, though, but the city is slowly turning into something decent. Quality of life is...okay, I guess. If you're a fan of having material goods it's great but lifestyle wise it's kind of poo poo. Not a lot to do or see unless you like road trips and anywhere worth going to is at least a 2 hour drive away, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, the long distance routes out of the city are very samey because of being in the middle of the plains. Funny how the complete lack of elevation that makes recreational cycling so boring makes it ideal for active transportation, which is a trade-off I think I'm okay with when looking at the bigger picture. I was frikken blown away when I rode up my first real elevation changes in Japan, which I was able to afford to go to because of how cheap it is to live here.

Maybe it's because I'm pretty ethnic, but I haven't had a shortage of things to do here lifestyle-wise with friends, family and related communities. To be fair however I am notoriously uncool.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's only bad in comparison to other cities and past decade have improved this place a whole lot. I think that the only really good highway for cycling is the number 1, I tried going bikepacking out to Grand Beach and the trip out was great, the shoulder was dry and I made great time but it rained overnight and I think I made it 1/3rd of the way home before calling for a ride, I kept getting bogged down. If the province invested even a tiny amount of money into bicycle tourism it could be quite a draw, most of the tourist spots are right about a day's bike trip from the city.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's always stuff to do here though?

Tons of good restaurants around for whatever palate. Tons of good shows every week. Great parks to be in in the summer. Winter has a giant ice trail and plenty to go see.

People who say there is nothing to do are lazy.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Vintersorg posted:

There's always stuff to do here though?

Tons of good restaurants around for whatever palate. Tons of good shows every week. Great parks to be in in the summer. Winter has a giant ice trail and plenty to go see.

People who say there is nothing to do are lazy.

Everycityintheworld.txt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

autism ZX spectrum posted:

It's only bad in comparison to other cities

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:carol:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Jun 16, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's only bad in comparison to other cities and past decade have improved this place a whole lot. I think that the only really good highway for cycling is the number 1, I tried going bikepacking out to Grand Beach and the trip out was great, the shoulder was dry and I made great time but it rained overnight and I think I made it 1/3rd of the way home before calling for a ride, I kept getting bogged down. If the province invested even a tiny amount of money into bicycle tourism it could be quite a draw, most of the tourist spots are right about a day's bike trip from the city.

I think the Trans-Canada Trail goes up there, and is near a lot of paved roads. Around ten years ago I rode up to Grand Beach, and from there hit up Sagkeeng, Lac du Bonnet, and from there went around the Whiteshell which was lovely. You're right that it really wouldn't take much work to make it more accessible and widely known.

One of these days I'm gonna try doing it again on the actual TCT with my fatbike.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:captainpop:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Jun 16, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

also was it Grand Beach or Victoria Beach that had the strict No Jews policy, lol

Victoria Beach

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/mb_history/32/manitobaantisemitism.shtml

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I moved from Brandon to Winnipeg to Calgary.. Winnipeg is better.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Venetian Snares

Venetian Snares is a perennial favourite of mine due to his well-known and critically-acclaimed album, Winnipeg Is a Frozen Shithole

eta that was obviously a joke but I can't not say that Rossz is among the best albums ever created

xtal has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Jul 16, 2019

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
imagine thinking winnipeg is renowned for ska

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

apatheticman posted:

I moved from Brandon to Winnipeg to Calgary.. Winnipeg is better.

Hey nobody is defending my town ITT but comparing Calgary now to what it was in the early 90s, its a pretty dramatic improvement

Winnipeg has some cool spots for sure, I'm mostly joking around of course. Found an amazing Ethiopian restaurant downtown on my last trip. Really wish folks were just a tad less breathless about their praise for pickerel (reminds me of the Saskatoon berry love, but I digress).

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

incontinence 100 posted:

imagine thinking winnipeg is renowned for ska

Was it JFK and the Conspirators that were the big ska band here? I want to say it was them and one other band making up the bulk of the ska "scene"

Winnipeg also apparently had a mod scene in the 90s but I'm 85% sure it was like 4 people and maybe a few milk crates full of records.

A lot of really good venues closed down in recent years and beer has gone up in price to the point I can't even go to the Windsor and get 2 standards for under ten bucks, so why bother going out.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

A lot of really good venues closed down in recent years and beer has gone up in price to the point I can't even go to the Windsor and get 2 standards for under ten bucks, so why bother going out.

I kinda feel like this can be said about anywhere.

Overall though I'm gathering its not as bad as everyone says. But its not great.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Time shifting is a mistake. End of Global Maritimes News is 5 minutes of short "happy birthday to Doreen of Admiral bay who is 90 years old" ads

I just want to watch Colbert and get to bed at a decent hour but I am now literally drowning in the twee

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bilirubin posted:

Time shifting is a mistake. End of Global Maritimes News is 5 minutes of short "happy birthday to Doreen of Admiral bay who is 90 years old" ads

I just want to watch Colbert and get to bed at a decent hour but I am now literally drowning in the twee

I grew up in Victoria and moved to greater Vancouver but I prefer watching the victoria channel (CHEK) because the news and the commercials are very low budget and kind of have a weird oldschool
charm.

there’s one ad that is just a dentist rambling for 30 seconds on why you should go to him with zero forethought put into it, it owns.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

priznat posted:

I grew up in Victoria and moved to greater Vancouver but I prefer watching the victoria channel (CHEK) because the news and the commercials are very low budget and kind of have a weird oldschool
charm.

there’s one ad that is just a dentist rambling for 30 seconds on why you should go to him with zero forethought put into it, it owns.

SCTV is documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Come to Bill and Edna Boyle's House of Teeth and Budgie Emporium