Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pussy Quipped posted:

I DM'd my current campaign for almost a year before me and my players realized we were making this mistake. :doh:
I hate the way this is worded, but I guess it makes sense. I'm not sure how I would fix it.
"A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw."

It makes the most sense when you read how ranges and cubes work.

PHB posted:

Cube
You select a cube's point of origin, which lies anywhere on a face of the cubic effect. The cube's size is expressed as the length of each side.

A cube's point of origin is not included in the cube's area of effect, unless you decide otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't make the mistake I did for years. For Thunderwave you are not in the middle of the cube. You are at the edge and can freely position it.
Also shield will also protect you from ranged attacks.

Wait, what's the source for this? I have Thunderwave and almost never use it because RAW definitely sounds like the cube has you at the center.

fake edit: huh, I'll be damned.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pussy Quipped posted:

I hate the way this is worded, but I guess it makes sense. I'm not sure how I would fix it.

TBH I'd probably fix it by making it a cone instead of a cube.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Pussy Quipped posted:

I DM'd my current campaign for almost a year before me and my players realized we were making this mistake. :doh:
"A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw."

I think the fix is to not use the word cube to describe it. It's super non-intuitive for a cube to handle point-of-origin differently from spheres or cylinders, the other three dimensional shapes. You could even call the shape a "wave" or something to show that it originates at a point and moves in a single direction. There's also the implication here that a cube doesn't include height. Also, the diagonal handling of that makes no sense.

It should look something like:

Cube (also hits above and below)
code:
*P*
Wave going horizontally
code:
P***
Wave going diagonally
code:
P*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
In dnd's metric space, a cube is a sphere is a cylinder.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CobiWann posted:

May I take this quiz if my shield has the ability to cast Acid Splash upon my Fighter taking melee damage?

You could give me your opinion of how it’s going for your casters.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In dnd's metric space, a cube is a sphere is a cylinder.

Offset Cube, Centered Cube, Tall Cube

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DalaranJ posted:

Here’s my informal survey:
1. Do you play a wizard or another primary caster? Preferably a non-multiclassed one. If so, which class? What is your party’s level?
2. Do you usually spend all or most of your memorized spells in a day?
3. If not, why not? Are there specific types of spells that tend to go uncast? (Low level ones, or you’re just making poor guesses about utility?) Or does some other resource tend to be expended first?
4. How do you feel about the number of spells you can cast per day in relation to the game’s challenge?

Taking this based on my previous main, our current game started two weeks ago. Generally I play either roguish types or support casters.

1. Yes, a Trickery Cleric. I played her from level 1 to level 7 with more-or-less the same party (my teammates were a Paladin, Druid, Fighter, and Warlock).
2. Most, but not all.
3. Bless and Healing Word were my staple spells; I often used a level 3 slot on the former (to affect the entire party) and burned all my level 1 slots on the latter picking downed people up or doing a little triage with an otherwise-wasted bonus action. Level 2 was something of a "dead level"; the Trickery domain spells (Mirror Image and Pass Without Trace) were cool with the latter coming in major handy twice ever, but in practice I never cast spells like Mirror Image because pre-casting isn't really a thing with me and combats rarely lasted long (in terms of rounds) so spending one buffing my own survivability rarely felt "worth it" compared to attacking and helping to eliminate the threat.
4. I felt it was exactly enough, honestly. Much more (including if I were like, 8-10 levels higher) and the decision to use a spell slot wouldn't feel like it cost me anymore, while a more limited number would've made me feel like my character - as a classical "support" Cleric - wasn't helping after a round or two due to the generally weird and questionable nature of Trickery's first Channel Divinity (baby Mirror Image), my only real non-spell ability. Cleric cantrips didn't seem great.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 15, 2019

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DalaranJ posted:

You could give me your opinion of how it’s going for your casters.

Can do. We have two casters - an Evocation Wizard and a Cleric of the Grave domain and I checked with them today. Both are 20+ year veterans of role-playing as well.

X X X X X

1. Do you play a wizard or another primary caster? Preferably a non-multiclassed one. If so, which class? What is your party’s level?

- The party hit level nine between the last session and yesterday's. We have two Fighters (Champion and Gunslinger), a Barbarian (Totem), a Ranger (Monster Slayer) and the above mentioned Wizard and Cleric.

- Yes. Our DM will usually throw two-to-three encounters at us per long rest, and more often than not both are sucking fumes by the end, and this is with sprinkling cantrips/class abilities, and, for the Wizard, item use.

3. If not, why not? Are there specific types of spells that tend to go uncast? (Low level ones, or you’re just making poor guesses about utility?) Or does some other resource tend to be expended first?

- See above question.

4. How do you feel about the number of spells you can cast per day in relation to the game’s challenge?

- Both of them are satisfied, but that's because our DM has been running for 30+ years and in the five years this group has been playing together there have been maybe three encounters we as a party thought were incredibly unbalanced. More often than not the big fights come down to a razor's edge (in a good way, if that makes sense).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Also, someone mentioned free feats and no variants earlier, and one of my two 5e games went for that too:

Everyone got a free feat at level 1, and variant human was banned.

Instead we ended up with 3 half elves and a mountain dwarf. (Paladin, Hexblade, Sorcerer + Barbarian dwarf).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Without the free feat there's no mechanical reason to play human at all.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Help me flesh out a character for an upcoming campaign: a LG Half-Orc Zealot Barb with the Hermit background. He was ***this close*** to achieving enlightenment (or at least believes he was) when his hermitage was ransacked by bandits. Normally the most chill, peaceful guy - now every time he tries to connect with his god (praying for focus, calm) he remembers this offense and becomes incredibly angry and out of control. Questions: why did he become so devoted to his god in the first place? What is his relationship with other Half-Orcs?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Smashing Link posted:

Help me flesh out a character for an upcoming campaign: a LG Half-Orc Zealot Barb with the Hermit background. He was ***this close*** to achieving enlightenment (or at least believes he was) when his hermitage was ransacked by bandits. Normally the most chill, peaceful guy - now every time he tries to connect with his god (praying for focus, calm) he remembers this offense and becomes incredibly angry and out of control. Questions: why did he become so devoted to his god in the first place? What is his relationship with other Half-Orcs?
His god was the greatest warrior, and enlightenment is what allowed the god to be the greatest warrior. Followed in the god's footsteps (whether that's literally true or just mythologically true), and actually started pursuing some kind of focused, calming enlightenment... and now he's here. Whether being violent and berserk is the next step of the enlightenment path, or a regression... that's a plot hook. Other Half-orcs think he's a hippie weaboo for treating the god like a pacifist instead of a conqueror, until he shows them how badass enlightenment is.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Smashing Link posted:

he viewed the struggle against his own anger as the greatest battle he could fight. maybe his god sent the bandits in the first place to try and teach him that the road to enlightenment isn't to never be angry, but to be angry at the proper times.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is true, but with the feat there's basically no reason to play anything else. I just think it's funny how optimal Half Elf is for so many things.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

KittyEmpress posted:

This is true, but with the feat there's basically no reason to play anything else. I just think it's funny how optimal Half Elf is for so many things.

yeahhh i've played a few half-elf casters and a lore bard, they're great

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Thanks for the input, everyone. I appreciate it.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Conspiratiorist posted:

Vanilla human still gets a total of +6 of ability bonuses. More importantly, if you're playing with point buy, there's no difference between a +1 and a +2 racial bonus, since your modifier doesn't get better than a +3, so a vanilla human can get 16/16/16 in their three main stats, something I think only Half Elves can also do, since those are the only races with a bonus to three different stats.

So ironically, giving everyone a free bonus feat still makes humans pretty drat optimal at any non-Charisma-based caster.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KittyEmpress posted:

Our group is two half-elves, two humans, and a halfling (rogue of course).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

KittyEmpress posted:

Elven Accuracy

lightrook posted:

Vanilla human still gets a total of +6 of ability bonuses. More importantly, if you're playing with point buy, there's no difference between a +1 and a +2 racial bonus, since your modifier doesn't get better than a +3, so a vanilla human can get 16/16/16 in their three main stats, something I think only Half Elves can also do, since those are the only races with a bonus to three different stats.

So ironically, giving everyone a free bonus feat still makes humans pretty drat optimal at any non-Charisma-based caster.

Wrong because:

A) Few classes want 3 16s at the expense of a -1 mod on everything else.

and

B) +2/+1 races get 17 16 15, so even if you went that attributes equalize with the first ASI except non-humans get racial bonuses/skills on top.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Im DMing my first campaign with s group of all new players and it is a very very heavily modified dragon heist and im having a lot of fun!!!!!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ilikedirt posted:

Im DMing my first campaign with s group of all new players and it is a very very heavily modified dragon heist and im having a lot of fun!!!!!

Good luck! Hope you enjoy yourself.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Infinite Karma posted:

His god was the greatest warrior, and enlightenment is what allowed the god to be the greatest warrior. Followed in the god's footsteps (whether that's literally true or just mythologically true), and actually started pursuing some kind of focused, calming enlightenment... and now he's here. Whether being violent and berserk is the next step of the enlightenment path, or a regression... that's a plot hook. Other Half-orcs think he's a hippie weaboo for treating the god like a pacifist instead of a conqueror, until he shows them how badass enlightenment is.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

he viewed the struggle against his own anger as the greatest battle he could fight. maybe his god sent the bandits in the first place to try and teach him that the road to enlightenment isn't to never be angry, but to be angry at the proper times.

These are good. Thanks guys.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
For my Curse of Strahd campaign, I told my players to use an array of "18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8" (they're heroes, but have things they're weak at) and that I didn't want to see everyone sinking Wisdom or Charisma. They also had to be different races and classes from each other. If there was something they were desperate to play, they could talk to me about "breaking" the character creation rules. They all worked it out just fine and have characters that they're having a lot of fun with!

No one was brave enough to sink Constitution, so I DID brand them as cowards, but mechanically speaking, I GET IT.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is your weekly reminder to merge str and con

e: "don't dump int or cha" basically means "don't play a strength based class"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'm the guy that thinks rolling a bucket of d6s for 3 hours is objectively less fun than just running the first session.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Razorwired posted:

I'm the guy that thinks rolling a bucket of d6s for 3 hours is objectively less fun than just running the first session.

Why play your character and face the possibility of its mortality, when you can spend your time fantasizing about how awesome it is?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Splicer posted:

Good thing I said I don't want to see EVERYONE sinking those and not NO ONE sink those.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arrrthritis posted:

Why play your character and face the possibility of its mortality, when you can spend your time fantasizing about how awesome it is?

I always get a chuckle when people ITT ask about characters others have played, and there's always like 2 guys who post about character concepts they haven't actually played but that would totes be awesome.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Splicer posted:

This is your weekly reminder to merge str and con

Can you expound on your reasoning here? Is it just that every strength class also needs con and strength classes are already weaker so making them need two different stats makes theme even worse? Or am I missing something else?

It’s not a bad idea, now that I think about it-or maybe make high strength scores have synergy with con? Above a 14 STR you can add your str ability mod to your con score or something?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Can you expound on your reasoning here? Is it just that every strength class also needs con and strength classes are already weaker so making them need two different stats makes theme even worse? Or am I missing something else?

It’s not a bad idea, now that I think about it-or maybe make high strength scores have synergy with con? Above a 14 STR you can add your str ability mod to your con score or something?
It's also that Con does nothing active. It increases your hit points and your Con save. So you get to trade the fun of actually doing something cool with your high stat (like you can with all the other ability scores) for more passive HP.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's because CON is a survival tax stat with hardly any gameplay aspects attached to it beyond "roll to not get crippled by an attack."

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is it just that every strength class also needs con and strength classes are already weaker so making them need two different stats makes theme even worse?

Dex too.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

DalaranJ posted:

Hi, if you have familiarity with my posting habits you may know that sometimes I get intensely curious about a specific piece of D&Ds design. So, stop talking about that controversial design topic and start talking about this one! (I fully expect everyone will ignore me.)

1. Currently spellcasting in 2 games:
- Paladin2/Sorcerer[Divine Soul]5 (Storm King's Thunder)
- Cleric[Life]7 (Curse of Strahd)

2./3. Since I'm mainly the healer in both games, I'm usually plinking away with cantrips for damage, and only occasionally use magic to overcome obstacles. So I don't typically run out, before a long rest. Our wizard in CoS is constantly begging for rests. My SKT character also has a Wand of Lightning Bolt, so that gets used as my multi-target weapon a lot, which saves on using spells for offense.

4. I'm pretty conservative with my slots, particularly since I have a better idea (than most people I play with) about the rest/encounter paradigm that the game runs on. On a rough outing, I maybe come up to a long rest with only 1 or 2 slots left; on campaign- or major arc-ending encounter or adventuring day, I know I would be very close to empty. So I think that puts the tension right about where it should be.

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's because CON is a survival tax stat with hardly any gameplay aspects attached to it beyond "roll to not get crippled by an attack."

This is why I say that if you're gonna roll stats, you should reroll any array that adds up to less than a +6 modifier.
You basically need a +3 (main stat) and two +2s (DEX, CON) just to make a baseline-adequate character IMO; if you make it to +6, you can at least hit those benchmarks once you factor in racial modifiers. It's just easier if you roll high enough to not need that.

I also recommend cutting out arrays that add up to more than +10.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 16, 2019

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

DalaranJ posted:

Hi, if you have familiarity with my posting habits you may know that sometimes I get intensely curious about a specific piece of D&Ds design. So, stop talking about that controversial design topic and start talking about this one! (I fully expect everyone will ignore me.)

1. Currently I'm playing a cleric in a 3rd level party.
2. I usually spend most of them, sometimes all.
3. I try to keep a Healing Word in pocket for if someone goes down, I use disguise self pretty often, and bless at the start of a big fight.
4. More spellsis the thing i look forward to most when leveling up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Can you expound on your reasoning here?
*scrambles out of the room and returns wheeling a board covered in string and spilling notes from an overstuffed binder* LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT STRENGTH AND C

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is it just that every strength class also needs con and strength classes are already weaker so making them need two different stats makes theme even worse?

Conspiratiorist posted:

Infinite Karma posted:

It's also that Con does nothing active. It increases your hit points and your Con save. So you get to trade the fun of actually doing something cool with your high stat (like you can with all the other ability scores) for more passive HP.
The other half is that Strength itself is trash. Wis and Dex are the good stats because they carry both active and passive benefits both in and out of combat. A few points in wis makes you fail fewer surprise checks, save more will saves, find random stuff, spot people lying etc. It's good, arguably mandatory, splash. A few points in dex is equally useful, getting you initiative benefits, dex saves, AC, not falling off stuff, and sneaking. Even if you never voluntarily choose to take a wis or dex based action you're going to be cooler both in and out of combat by having them.

Int and cha have the same problem with being easy dump stats, but they make better primary class scores than str because they come with a bunch of skills with a wide range of utility. Dex and Wis of course also have a bunch of cool active things to do. Strength just gets Athletics.

There's a some lesser stuff like how dex being so good devalues strength further since you'll never be meleeing with str and dex simultaneously so str isn't even good splash for emergency stabbing, and as you said paying effectively double points leaves them with no points for putting into RP stats, but that's the main thrust.

tl;dr if you lay out all the stuff wis or dex get, then write out everything str AND con get combined, you'll see they together cover the same approximate range and utility of one of those good stats.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 16, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Splicer posted:

*scrambles out of the room and returns wheeling a board covered in string and spilling notes from an overstuffed binder* LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT STRENGTH AND C

The other half is that Strength itself is trash. Wis and Dex are the good stats because they carry both active and passive benefits both in and out of combat. A few points in wis makes you fail fewer surprise checks, save more will saves, find random stuff, spot people lying etc. It's good, arguably mandatory, splash. A few points in dex is equally useful, getting you initiative benefits, dex saves, AC, not falling off stuff, and sneaking. Even if you never voluntarily choose to take a wis or dex based action you're going to be cooler both in and out of combat by having them.

Int and cha have the same problem with being easy dump stats, but they make better primary class scores than str because they come with a bunch of skills with a wide range of utility. Dex and Wis of course also have a bunch of cool active things to do. Strength just gets Athletics.

There's a some lesser stuff like how dex being so good devalues strength further since you'll never be meleeing with str and dex simultaneously so str isn't even good splash for emergency stabbing, and as you said paying effectively double points leaves them with no points for putting into RP stats, but that's the main thrust.

tl;dr if you lay out all the stuff wis or dex get, then write out everything str AND con get combined, you'll see they together cover the same approximate range and utility of one of those good stats.

As a start, if Str/Con and arguably Int/Wis were combined, you would get to a more even keel on a lot of things.

- Less weird balance problems that pop up from designers arbitrarily tying things to an ability score.

- Less problems with saving throws that are worthless 90% of the time because designers didn't have the foresight to spread out save tests equally across the monster manual.

- Easier to plan and visualize what your character is good at. Never again the strange indignity of playing a stronk warrior with anemia and an autoimmune deficiency.

- Less obnoxious tropes unique to D&D, like "well my character is intelligent, but not wise, so I gently caress the chicken!"

- Character concepts combine more easily. Never again worry about struggling to make a character with Int AND Wis abilities work correctly.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Splicer posted:

I feel they could have probably brought back "INT mod gives you extra languages" from 3.5, without really breaking anything.
Skill points can stay dead (although I have had one or two people pine for the old ways.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.d0t posted:

I feel they could have probably brought back "INT mod gives you extra languages" from 3.5, without really breaking anything.
Skill points can stay dead (although I have had one or two people pine for the old ways.)

"Extra languages" are one of those "bonuses" D&D is so fond of that in normal play do not matter at all.

The test of this is, if you run into a situation where no one can do it, does the game stop? If the answer is no, it's more or less an irrelevant ability or something that should have been handled in another way by the game. Languages are a big "no."

About the only thing that's worse are the micro-situational bonuses that appear in some race descriptions from earlier editions/Pathfinder. "As a Ysoki, I can shove a whole gun in my mouth!!!" "As a gnome, I can talk to normie animals (not influence or control) once a day!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The ability score folding thing - treating Str/Con, Dex/Int, and Wis/Cha as interchangeable for some specific purposes - is yet another of the things 4E was right about that it's insane they didn't preserve. The "six saves" thing in 5E, for example, is bewildering. And that alone would make the "dump stats" more generically useful. The decision to dump Wis and have a +1 or +2 Cha bonus on a non-Cha primary character would be much easier for me if that was my will save.

It's probably a good thing in the game as-is that Wizard is the only Int class, tho. It makes a lot of sense for Warlock to be one - the fictional archetype of the lock, imo, is a character with high Int and low Wis/Cha, the put-upon nerd or weirdo who takes the cheater's path to power - but then it's a lot easier for Wizards to get involved in the Sorclock Eldritch Blast Thing and gently caress all that.