Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Bearstein Bears don't get raptured then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheDCSentinel/status/1150711263783215104

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

B B posted:

Party Plane Jones is a pretty lovely moderator, yes.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
All the polls are made up. Bernie is winning. The ground game is in our hearts.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

The Bearstein Bears don't get raptured then?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/magazine/how-the-berenstain-bears-found-salvation.html

"The new volumes, “The Berenstain Bears: Do Not Fear, God Is Near” and “The Berenstain Bears Go to Sunday School,” had a markedly different cast than my son’s old favorites. "

The authors were (atleast one was) Jewish.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

gohmak posted:

pronouned stine or steen?

FRAU BUDGET!! [a horse neighs in the background. minutes later a disheveled looking Mike Pence enters from stage right]

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1150852176270508037

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm a volunteer for Bernie and honestly, lately I have not been feeling so good about his chances as a consequence of how he's been campaigning.

The first problem is that he just keeps giving the same drat stump speech, which is amazing and I agree with, but is not a real response to a lot of the questions and issues he uses it for, and after years of repetition is beginning to make people's eyes glaze over. The second is that decades in the Senate have decorum-poisoned him more than most people want to admit, and while he's happy to go after corporations, he hasn't shown the same willingness to go after other candidates. The third is that he has been less than willing to talk about his own personal history and record, which is a huge mistake because he has the best record of any candidate.

I think these three factors are killing his chances to defeat Biden and Warren and it's especially too bad because we all know he is capable of doing better – every once in a while he breaks out of this trench he's in and it's amazing. None of this will stop me from fighting for him, but if he actually wants to win, he needs to be a lot more dynamic, every drat day. I hear he hates D.C. hacks and like, me too, but I bet they are also telling him this and he needs to listen.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

In before somebody makes this post:

quote:

How do you do, fellow kids? I am a “volunteer” for Bernie and am totally on his side but just FYI he is not paying for my servitude, also he is losing support. If Bernie is the front runner why do I keep insisting he’s not?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why yes, the best thing for Bernie and this movement is to respond to gentle constructive criticism with :tinfoil:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

yronic heroism posted:

In before somebody makes this post:

The thing is I believe him, as opposed to the weirdos who say they support Bernie and then champion fucksteining numbers

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So remember Warren's "no big donors during the primary" pledge? Turns out it depends on how you define "no" and "pledge". Her campaign turned to a big donor to spend $100k to buy the DNC's voter files for her, and they're saying it's not a breach of the pledge because the money was solicited by her campaign rather than by her personally, because the money wasn't solicited at a fundraising event, and because no one-on-one time between Warren and the donor was set up in exchange for the donation.

https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/1150822033607012352

The campaign's argument appears to live up to the exact text of Warren's original no-big-donors pledge, which only prohibits Warren herself from devoting disproportionate time to soliciting big donors. But I don't think that argument is going to satisfy the people who were attracted by media coverage of her pledge, which often presented it as a blanket refusal of big money. If anything, it's just going to draw attention to the fact that it's not as much of a "small donors only" policy as was commonly believed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Eagerly awaiting people to come up with extremely nuanced reasons for why it's OK to be bought by the rich if it happens by proxy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Also, it looks like Sanders has released a new policy (or at least one I haven't heard of before) - establishing a fund to allow state and local governments to buy up hospitals that are being shut down, so that they can be operated as public services and continue to serve regions that are being deprived of hospital service in the current wave of hospital-industry consolidation. Worth noting is that he didn't announce this policy in a press release or a Medium post, he announced in person at a rally to save a hospital that's being shut down and sold off to real estate investors.

https://twitter.com/adamkelsey/status/1150836072735264772

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/15/bernie-sanders-hahnemann-university-hospital-rally-center-city/

quote:

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders joined in a big rally Monday to protest the closure of Hahnemann University Hospital. The Vermont senator was with hundreds of supporters outside of the hospital on Monday afternoon.

“It’s not a question of economics, it’s a question of basic human morality,” Sanders said.

Last month, the hospital announced plans to shut down in September, citing financial issues.

Sanders says health care should be a guaranteed right for all Americans and he used the hospital’s closure to drive home that point.

“The issue that brings us here today is not complicated. At a time when our country faces a major health care crisis, when 80 million Americans are either uninsured or underinsured, including tens of thousands of people here in the Philadelphia area, we should be moving, we must be moving forward to guarantee health care to all the people as a right,” the presidential candidate said.

Sanders took aim at Joel Freedman, the hospital CEO and owner.

“We’re sending a very loud and clear message to Mr. Joel Freedman, the investment banker from Los Angeles, and that message is as simple as one can imagine and that is do not shut down this hospital,” Sander said to a roaring crowd. “Work with local officials, work with the unions and the people of this city and keep this hospital open.”

Sanders added his voice to a growing chorus of those condemning Hahnemann University Hospital’s closure.

“It’s insane,” Sanders said in an exclusive interview with CBS3 prior to the rally. “If you look at this thing objectively and you say that in the midst of a health care crisis, a hospital is being converted into a real estate opportunity in order to make some wealthy guy even more money, ignoring the health care needs of thousands of people, that is pretty crazy.”

Hahnemann already shut down its maternity ward over the weekend and plans to close the entire facility by early September. However, Gov. Tom Wolf and Philadelphia city leaders announced Monday it secured $15 million in tax dollars for any new medical provider that plans to open at Hahnemann. The money would be used to fill in any gaps.

“Let’s make it clear — today the eyes of the nation are on Hahnemann Hospital right now,” Philadelphia City Councilwoman Helen Gym said.

Hahnemann’s nurses union believes that tax money is a good start but insists it is not enough. The union also wants lawmakers to push the hospital’s owners to sell the facility to a medical nonprofit.

“We do not want this to shut down,” nurses union president Maureen May said.

Sanders says the hospital is among 100 other medical facilities that have closed since 2010. He told supporters at the rally he wants to create a $20 billion emergency fund to help states and communities take over hospitals that are in financial distress.

More than 2,000 jobs are predicted to be lost when the hospital shuts down in early September.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

If anything, it's just going to draw attention to the fact that it's not as much of a "small donors only" policy as was commonly believed.

except it never was a "small donors only" policy, just a "no access in return for donations" policy, as this author literally says?

https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/1150825218392428545

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

By accepting the donation she has given a Silicon Valley leech access to her brainspace, whether they directly meet or not. Sorry Warren stans -- the capitalists are living in her head, and paying rent

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SymoneDSanders/status/1150858451343556609

This is a disgusting individual.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

eke out posted:

except it never was a "small donors only" policy, just a "no access in return for donations" policy, as this author literally says?

https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/1150825218392428545

Love to believe that my candidate is incapable of gratitude and won’t feel any pressure whatsoever to offer some kind of gift in kind.

You don’t take the money because the pressure to reciprocate exists at levels that we indoctrinate toddlers on.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Wasn't she a progressive of sorts in 2016?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pembroke Fuse posted:

she was the press secretary for some guy that was running in the primary that year, can't think of who

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

She was Bernie's press secretary.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

Gotta say I wasn't expecting the old "well it's OK to take bribes as long as you pinky swear that you won't give anything in return" argument, but here we are.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1150868129347768325

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

eke out posted:

"I have met the technical requirements of my stated policy while violating the spirit of it" is definitely a popular mainstream Democratic position, but it doesn't make it a good one.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Gotta say I wasn't expecting the old "well it's OK to take bribes as long as you pinky swear that you won't give anything in return" argument, but here we are.

gotcha: warren broke a promise i imagined that she made

checkmate, libs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1150863187174203392

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

She was Bernie's press secretary.

Interesting. How did she think she would have any credibility shilling for Biden then?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

checkmate, libs

To be perfectly honest I wasn't expecting the old "well obviously bribery is OK as long as you haven't promised not to take bribes" either, but here we are again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

eke out posted:

checkmate, libs

There was a lot of news sites that reported it as "Warren rejects big donors" or "Warren bets on small donors", so it's reasonable to assume that she was doing like Sanders and entirely rejecting big donors.

It turns out that she wasn't, she was actually doing some complicated thing that made for misleadingly positive headlines while still keeping the big money flowing her way.

Yay for Warren.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

eke out posted:

checkmate, libs

Her policy was obviously written in such a way that she could sell it publicly as disavowing wealthy donors while still taking their money behind closed doors, say by having them cover the costs of a major national voter list.

Like this tweet:

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1102632567931576322

Yes, letting a Silicon Valley millionaire effectively donate six figures to your campaign doesn't technically violate anything here (until that Silicon Valley millionaire does get special access that we don't get told about, anyways), but it clearly violates the message and its intent. Keep big money out of politics! (unless I find it personally advantageous)

Or more succinctly:

Cerebral Bore posted:

To be perfectly honest I wasn't expecting the old "well obviously bribery is OK as long as you haven't promised not to take bribes" either, but here we are again.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Interesting. How did she think she would have any credibility shilling for Biden then?

she probably got tired of being rick santorum's punching bag every night on cnn

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Is he an invited speaker or attending as a member?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Every D.C. slimeball operates on a mutual understanding that the things you say while being a paid shill don't have to have any grounding in reality or your personal beliefs for you to remain credible in that context. Also, basically no voters know or care who she is, even people in this thread didn't know she was Bernie's head flack in 2016!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

It turns out that she wasn't, she was actually doing some complicated thing that made for misleadingly positive headlines while still keeping the big money flowing her way.

Oh no, I hope that doesn't become a pattern for her.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/AliceOllstein/status/1150870764884832256

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The funniest part is that while Biden is up there telling seniors how Medicare For All will kill cancer patients, the Biden Cancer Initiative is shutting down as a direct result of Biden's presidential campaign.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1150830684082249728

The organization itself says that it simply couldn't keep the attention of fundraisers, corporations, or political organizations without Biden's direct involvement, and therefore the organization has seen its progress grind to a halt after Biden stepped down to run for president. Every reporter that's noticed the shutdown, however, also seemed to think that it might have had something to do with ethics concerns for a possible Biden presidency, given the organization's close ties to corporate interests.

Either way, it cracks me up that the presidential candidate who's promising to cure cancer has caused the collapse of their own anti-cancer initiative by abandoning it to run for president.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Being anti-cancer is too divisive.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm a volunteer for Bernie and honestly, lately I have not been feeling so good about his chances as a consequence of how he's been campaigning.

The first problem is that he just keeps giving the same drat stump speech, which is amazing and I agree with, but is not a real response to a lot of the questions and issues he uses it for, and after years of repetition is beginning to make people's eyes glaze over. The second is that decades in the Senate have decorum-poisoned him more than most people want to admit, and while he's happy to go after corporations, he hasn't shown the same willingness to go after other candidates. The third is that he has been less than willing to talk about his own personal history and record, which is a huge mistake because he has the best record of any candidate.

I think these three factors are killing his chances to defeat Biden and Warren and it's especially too bad because we all know he is capable of doing better – every once in a while he breaks out of this trench he's in and it's amazing. None of this will stop me from fighting for him, but if he actually wants to win, he needs to be a lot more dynamic, every drat day. I hear he hates D.C. hacks and like, me too, but I bet they are also telling him this and he needs to listen.

While I don't exactly disagree that it would be good for him to improve on those things, I disagree that he really has much power over improving his chances. The main thing that drives (mostly older) voters from Bernie is the simple existence of other candidates who are more subjectively "likeable" to them; you can't make those people vote on the actual issues. In 2016 the only other real option was Clinton, who was not perceived that well by many voters, but now you have people like Warren (or even Harris) who, to laypeople, appear to have the same values as Bernie while being a younger and more "likeable" person.

I feel like if Sanders went after a candidate like Warren or Harris, it could backfire because the people who support those candidates are generally unwilling to view them negatively and will react with hostility towards attacks on them (heck, just look at the response in D&D to people attacking Warren, even from people who prefer Sanders).

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ytlaya posted:

While I don't exactly disagree that it would be good for him to improve on those things, I disagree that he really has much power over improving his chances. The main thing that drives (mostly older) voters from Bernie is the simple existence of other candidates who are more subjectively "likeable" to them; you can't make those people vote on the actual issues. In 2016 the only other real option was Clinton, who was not perceived that well by many voters, but now you have people like Warren (or even Harris) who, to laypeople, appear to have the same values as Bernie while being a younger and more "likeable" person.

I feel like if Sanders went after a candidate like Warren or Harris, it could backfire because the people who support those candidates are generally unwilling to view them negatively and will react with hostility towards attacks on them (heck, just look at the response in D&D to people attacking Warren, even from people who prefer Sanders).

sounds to me like improving "likability" and "connecting" with voters is actually extremely important in an election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Balderdash! Nobody ever won by being popular