Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

what's even the point of aging Jon up if time travel is in the works. just have the legion pick him up from like 2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I watched Linkara's retrospective on Cassandra Cain and he mentions that she retires from the super life at the end of the run in Detective Comics. While I'm not upset, I am curious why she's back in costume for Outsiders.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
She didn't retire, she just decided to essentially get therapy and start trying to learn to do non-fighting things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tales of the Dark Multiverse one shots. Elseworld versions of famous DC moments.
https://www.newsarama.com/46013-death-of-superman-and-batman-knightfall-retold-in-elseworlds-ish-dark-multiverse-titles.html

quote:

TALES FROM THE DARK MULTIVERSE: BATMAN: KNIGHTFALL #1

Co-written by Scott Snyder (DARK NIGHTS: METAL, JUSTICE LEAGUE, THE BATMAN WHO LAUGHS) and Kyle Higgins (DEATHSTROKE, BATMAN ETERNAL, NIGHTWING: THE NEW ORDER), with art by Javier Fernandez (JUSTICE LEAGUE) and a cover by Lee Weeks (BATMAN), this one-shot takes place in a Gotham City 30 years after a broken Bruce Wayne failed to take back the mantle of the Bat. In his place arose Jean-Paul Valley, also known as Saint Batman. Under his iron rule, Saint Batman has turned Gotham into the city of his dreams – killing has become commonplace and criminals live in constant fear—all in the name of justice.

But just when all seems lost, a new hope for Gotham rises: The Son of Bane.

quote:

TALES FROM THE DARK MULTIVERSE: THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN #1

The Dark Multiverse takes on the highest-selling comic book event of all time, courtesy of writer Jeff Loveness (Rick and Morty, DC’S NUCLEAR WINTER SPECIAL, DC’S MYSTERIES OF LOVE IN SPACE), with art by Brad Walker (DETECTIVE COMICS) and Andrew Hennessy (SINESTRO, THE DEMON: HELL IS EARTH, TITANS), with a cover by Lee Weeks.

In a broken world much like our own, Lois Lane, twisted by rage and grief over the Man of Steel’s death, becomes the Eradicator, taking revenge on those who let Superman die and the corrupt world he could never defeat. Now, with the power of a god, she’s going to end the “never-ending” battle by any means necessary, halting the Reign of the Supermen before it even begins.

edit: Also a new Metal Men series written by our pal, Dan Didio!
https://www.newsarama.com/46015-nth-metal-man-leads-new-metal-men-title-coming-this-fall.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 15, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow, finally Scott Snyder gets to write a Batman story!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It's like really edgy versions of Elseworlds. I'll be interested to see how they turn out.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't get it, what's going on in that Dark Multiverse Death of Superman comic?

Superman isn't Batman in the story, Lois Lane doesn't become Batman, Doomsday doesn't become Batman, and Evil Bruce Wayne doesn't become Lois Lane or Doomsday at least based on the press release.

Why is DC putting out a comic that doesn't star a version of Batman? This doesn't align with their general publishing plans at all!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has there ever only been the one Metal (Wo)Man?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

I watched Linkara's retrospective on Cassandra Cain and he mentions that she retires from the super life at the end of the run in Detective Comics. While I'm not upset, I am curious why she's back in costume for Outsiders.

Ooh, she's in Outsiders now? Who's writing it and is it any good?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Has there ever only been the one Metal (Wo)Man?

As far as I know, Platinum is the only one, yeah.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

As far as I know, Platinum is the only one, yeah.

Copper.

She was introduced in 2007 but then was basically removed from history when the Metal Men were rebooted alongside everything else.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Copper_(New_Earth)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's also a lady in the Amalgam Metal Men!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

They added a second female Metal Man (Copper) in the 2000s, or between two and six universal reboots ago.

She first appeared in a post-Loeb Superman/Batman arc.

Then she was in the Duncan Roleau Metal Men mini-series in 2007.

Then she was in the Metal Men back-ups to the Giffen Doom Patrol series for a little while but more or less her whole gimmick was that no one knew where she came from or why she was on the team.

I believe her only New 52/Rebirth appearance was in Legends of Tomorrow, where she was part of an ersatz team of Metal Men created by some government agency to capture or destroy the original Metal Men, and then the two Metal Men Teams work together to stop Chemo but all get destroyed and in the last page Dr. Magnus rebuilds the Metal Men and Copper is once again part of the team. Except no one has ever used these rebuilt Metal Men designs or acknowledge that this story happened in any subsequent comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bryan Hill. It's just okay. I quit it on issue #2. His Vertigo (now Black Label?) comic American Carnage is great, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm kinda intrigued by that Knightfall one, but these are really more DC's "What-if?" than Elseworlds. That Death of Superman one sounds hella lame though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think Copper came from the same notebook as the Alpha Lanterns from when DC was paying Morrison to be a consultant. The Duncan Roleau mini, which was quite good, borrowed heavily from his notes.

Gotta give Didio credit for always sticking by the Metal Men. When the market demands more Batman, he’s trying to slip a Metal Men, OMAC, or Jonah Hex in there.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
What happened to Renee Montoya in the New 52/Rebirth?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 15, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bryan Hill. It's just okay. I quit it on issue #2. His Vertigo (now Black Label?) comic American Carnage is great, though.

There was a real nice moment in #3 with Cass and Signal, but I totally get thinking it's just okay or uneven (or both).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OldMemes posted:

What happened to Renee Montoya in the New 52/Rebirth?

I think she was only a cop and old flame of Batwoman in N52, but she just reappeared as Question in Rucka's Lois Lane.

edit: Assuming it's her. We didn't actually see who was under the no-face.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 15, 2019

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

There was a real nice moment in #3 with Cass and Signal, but I totally get thinking it's just okay or uneven (or both).

I've wanted to like the story and I do like the character moments, but I think it's really weird that he decided to start the book with a storyline focusing more on his do-not-steal OCs as opposed to the actual Outsiders.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Nat posted:

I've wanted to like the story and I do like the character moments, but I think it's really weird that he decided to start the book with a storyline focusing more on his do-not-steal OCs as opposed to the actual Outsiders.

That's also fair. If you were looking for an extension of Tynion's run, it probably won't work out so well.

And I swear Kaliber looks like post-apoc early 90's Johnny Blaze.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Wow, finally Scott Snyder gets to write a Batman story!

At some point on this forum or another I wrote "Scott Snyder will write Batman until DC pries the character from his cold dead hands" but I was kidding then, I didn't think he'd keep loving going, goddamn.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yvonmukluk posted:

It is... definitely a book that exists and is being published.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Loveness seemed to really like that Death of Superman job.
https://twitter.com/JeffLoveness/status/1150862244466442240

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Loveness seemed to really like that Death of Superman job.
https://twitter.com/JeffLoveness/status/1150862244466442240

I'm loving sold.

One of my earliest comic memories was finding a Return of Superman graphic novel in an airport bookstore and convincing my mom to buy it for me before a long flight. Id' heard about Superman dying and there being multiple Supermen for a bit but I hadn't read any of it. I'd seen some Max Fleischer cartoons and the Christopher Reeves movies, but had no idea about the comics status quo (Supergirl is some weird alien? and dating Lex Luthor? who has hair? and is pretending to be his son? Who the gently caress is this Guy Gardner rear end in a top hat?)

I loving loved it.

It's why I scoff when people say "oh, you have to read these 23 other books before you can understand this book."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I mean, it's not like you'd have understood why Supergirl was a weird blob alien even if you had read everything up until that point.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm loving sold.

One of my earliest comic memories was finding a Return of Superman graphic novel in an airport bookstore and convincing my mom to buy it for me before a long flight. Id' heard about Superman dying and there being multiple Supermen for a bit but I hadn't read any of it. I'd seen some Max Fleischer cartoons and the Christopher Reeves movies, but had no idea about the comics status quo (Supergirl is some weird alien? and dating Lex Luthor? who has hair? and is pretending to be his son? Who the gently caress is this Guy Gardner rear end in a top hat?)

I loving loved it.

It's why I scoff when people say "oh, you have to read these 23 other books before you can understand this book."

This is pretty much me as well.
A Justice League full of strange characters I'd never heard of being pummeled through a house is such a strong childhood memory for me.
It was neat when I started to read Jack Kirby's Fourth World stuff, saw the hippy bikers living in the woods and suddenly making a connection to a vague memory of them being used in DOS.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 16, 2019

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Who is Bloodwynd?! Uhh, I don't care let's get back to Doomsday.

Strong memories.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grem posted:

Who is Bloodwynd?! Uhh, I don't care let's get back to Doomsday.

A friend once commented the best thing Doomsday ever did was pave the way to get back to an actual Justice League.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We didn't get an actual JL for like 5 more years.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I flipped through the Funeral, Reign and Return collections on Comixology and a bunch of the issues (and the longest issues) are Bloodlines Annuals. You get to experience two events in one!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I flipped through the Funeral, Reign and Return collections on Comixology and a bunch of the issues (and the longest issues) are Bloodlines Annuals. You get to experience two events in one!

Loose Cannon should have been given a chance man.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

catlord posted:

I'm kinda intrigued by that Knightfall one, but these are really more DC's "What-if?" than Elseworlds. That Death of Superman one sounds hella lame though.

A number of Elseworlds were What If...?s though like Speeding Bullets or whatever the Batman who becomes a GL one is.

It's a shame they never made one where Kal-El (or, I guess Kara) lands on Themyscara

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

12 issue Warren Ellis/Bryan Hitch Batman comic announced.
https://twitter.com/warrenellis/status/1151161393569247232

I'd've taken Ellis as someone to take over from King on the regular series, but I guess this way he doesn't have to worry about tying into anything else (Also easier to delay for Hitch)

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I can't wait for DC to announce more Batman and/or Joker comics. There just aren't enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xelkelvos posted:

A number of Elseworlds were What If...?s though like Speeding Bullets or whatever the Batman who becomes a GL one is.

It's a shame they never made one where Kal-El (or, I guess Kara) lands on Themyscara

The Nail is another basically "What if...?" comic.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Darth Nat posted:

I can't wait for DC to announce more Batman and/or Joker comics. There just aren't enough.
Good news, they're branching out in Batman/Superman, which is all about Batman and Superman fighting Joker Batman who is making Joker Batman Shazams and Joker Batman Green Lanterns and wants to make everyone into a Joker Batman! Finally all the dogshit characters you don't care about get a double dose of fan interest by being turned into Joker Batmans.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

Good news, they're branching out in Batman/Superman, which is all about Batman and Superman fighting Joker Batman who is making Joker Batman Shazams and Joker Batman Green Lanterns and wants to make everyone into a Joker Batman! Finally all the dogshit characters you don't care about get a double dose of fan interest by being turned into Joker Batmans.

Oh no, I've gone crosseyed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Finally! Jade and Obsidian will be of worth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Darth Nat posted:

It’d help if they could just diversify into maybe some darker and grittier ones too, instead of all these lighthearted and fun ones they keep making.