Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Shazam and SoundHound both have widgets that should launch a song identification. Also force touching the icon should do the same. Couldn't find any app-free shortcuts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
e: nm

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 12, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Boris Galerkin posted:

How and/or which widget?

Anyway not related but for anyone thinking of putting iOS 13 on any device it seems like a really bad idea because of the stuff they are doing to iCloud. I was thinking of updating my iPad but the fact that it can cause me to lose iCloud data on my non-beta devices is no bueno.

So I should turn off iCloud data backup on my beta iPhone then? That sounds awful so thanks for the heads up!

e: now that I think about it there’s not a massive amount of stuff I worry about losing. Has anyone itt experienced these issues?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 12, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah tbh I'll miss dark mode, but between the visual glitches, the risk of iCloud data loss, the dropped inputs and the keyboard glitches I think I'll restore my iPad back to 12.x until the public beta is good enough to be used by the public.

edit: So aparently my iPad was on 12.4, but the latest version of iOS is 12.3.1 and since the iPad is up to date I can't even restore from my iTunes backup. I'm guessing 12.4 was a public beta thing from a profile I was still on but drat, I sure miss the days of "It Just Works" with Apple. At least an error hinting at what I can do to get my stuff back would be nice from them. I'll try getting back onto the 12.x public beta and hoping that works, lest I have to go back to 13.x, restore from my iCloud backup, then re-remove the profile and wait for 12.4.1 to come out to update back to that.

edit2: Turns out my backup is corrupt? Thanks Apple. :( Gonna have to go back to iOS 13 I guess.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 12, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there a way to see what I'm using iCloud data for? I THINK I'm only using it for photos/videos (are those at risk?) and image backups. I'm pretty sure if I nuked the only thing I would get from iCloud are my logins to the apps, but hard to know off-hand.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yeah tbh I'll miss dark mode, but between the visual glitches, the risk of iCloud data loss, the dropped inputs and the keyboard glitches I think I'll restore my iPad back to 12.x until the public beta is good enough to be used by the public.

edit: So aparently my iPad was on 12.4, but the latest version of iOS is 12.3.1 and since the iPad is up to date I can't even restore from my iTunes backup. I'm guessing 12.4 was a public beta thing from a profile I was still on but drat, I sure miss the days of "It Just Works" with Apple. At least an error hinting at what I can do to get my stuff back would be nice from them. I'll try getting back onto the 12.x public beta and hoping that works, lest I have to go back to 13.x, restore from my iCloud backup, then re-remove the profile and wait for 12.4.1 to come out to update back to that.

edit2: Turns out my backup is corrupt? Thanks Apple. :( Gonna have to go back to iOS 13 I guess.

I had that issue last year. You don't want to use a new iOS public beta if you are already on the current iOS's latest beta. It messes everything up so you can't revert back.

I found the iPad beta pretty good. Far fewer glitches than the iPhone and I haven't seen any problems with iCloud syncing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I feel we all made that mistake once

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TraderStav posted:

Is there a way to see what I'm using iCloud data for? I THINK I'm only using it for photos/videos (are those at risk?) and image backups. I'm pretty sure if I nuked the only thing I would get from iCloud are my logins to the apps, but hard to know off-hand.

Settings, tap your name up top, iCloud, manage storage. It won’t tell you why an app is using x storage space, but it’ll tell you which apps are using it.

Some apps create app directories for storing stuff in iCloud as well. These ones you can see by going into Files and poking around the top level of iCloud Drive. Drafts for example created its own directory for storing backups.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 12, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

<--- never install a beta crew

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

Settings, tap your name up top, iCloud, manage storage. It won’t tell you why an app is using x storage space, but it’ll tell you which apps are using it.

Some apps create app directories for storing stuff in iCloud as well. These ones you can see by going into Files and poking around the top level of iCloud Drive. Drafts for example created its own directory for storing backups.

I'll roll the dice on the beta going forward. Only thing I'm at risk losing are my shortcuts and Solitarica progress.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

colachute posted:

Left ear to restart a song or go to a previous song, right ear to go to the next song.

The only other thing I need is siri and I use my watch for that, otherwise I’d have my left ear set to Siri.
I'm late but how well does this work out for you? Lack of dedicated play/pause seems like it'd be awkward so I'm curious as to how it plays out in real life. Do you just pull it out of your ear every time?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Minidust posted:

I'm late but how well does this work out for you? Lack of dedicated play/pause seems like it'd be awkward so I'm curious as to how it plays out in real life. Do you just pull it out of your ear every time?

Yeah. If I need to pause it then I probably don’t need it in my ear at that moment anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

:same:

If the reversion process worked better I'd be willing to experiment but I really don't want a fucky phone for three months.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

xzzy posted:

If the reversion process worked better I'd be willing to experiment but I really don't want a fucky phone for three months.

The reversion process is to download the 12.3.1 IPSW and shift restore in iTunes. You can only do this moving from beta to stable.

Edit: To be clear, this leaves you on 12.3.1 with all your stuff. You don’t have to set up as new and restore from backup.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 12, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

bobfather posted:

The reversion process is to download the 12.3.1 IPSW and shift restore in iTunes. You can only do this moving from beta to stable.

Edit: To be clear, this leaves you on 12.3.1 with all your stuff. You don’t have to set up as new and restore from backup.
gently caress! Why didn’t I think of this before going back to the 13 beta? :doh:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Wish this was me right now.

have the iOS13 beta on my iPhone 7, and I just got an iPhone XS. I want to do a clean slate start on my XS, but I need to download all my message photos locally. It doesn't seem like there is a way to select multiple images when you go to the "Info" tab in a text like there is in iOS12, unless I'm just missing something. Any ideas on how to get my picture messages?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

xzzy posted:

It's really not bad now. PB1 was fuckier, but PB2 has been fine for me. It's not like the springboard is constantly crashing/restarting or anything. In fact, that hasn't happened to me once with either PB1 or PB2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

Wish this was me right now.

have the iOS13 beta on my iPhone 7, and I just got an iPhone XS. I want to do a clean slate start on my XS, but I need to download all my message photos locally. It doesn't seem like there is a way to select multiple images when you go to the "Info" tab in a text like there is in iOS12, unless I'm just missing something. Any ideas on how to get my picture messages?

Why don't you just turn on Messages in iCloud? All the images should still be there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
PB1 is always a smoking crater. If you can survive the 2 weeks to PB2 you're usually okay. If you've made it this far you might as well stay and enjoy the dark mode.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Why don't you just turn on Messages in iCloud? All the images should still be there.

Mostly because I also downsized in storage (from 128 to 64) and was also the type of person to never delete messages. Just the text thread for me and my wife is like 4GB. I don't really care about the texts themselves, just a lot of baby pictures and all that jazz.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone else run into a bug where screenshots aren’t saving? It’s not consistent but every so often a SS won’t save and I 100% saved it.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Usually on the iPad, reboot fixes it. Weirder—the reboot Cheat Code doesn’t work; and ill need to shutdown via the settings menu. Or once had to let it run out of battery which was quite frustrating...

They save for me but I lose the interstitial markup part, but the screenshots end up in the photo album like before the screenshot tools era...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stirlo posted:

Usually on the iPad, reboot fixes it. Weirder—the reboot Cheat Code doesn’t work; and ill need to shutdown via the settings menu. Or once had to let it run out of battery which was quite frustrating...

They save for me but I lose the interstitial markup part, but the screenshots end up in the photo album like before the screenshot tools era...

Oh weird I’ll try that.

Yeah I’ve marked some up and saved them and they didn’t save. Made me think I was going crazy.

Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Mostly because I also downsized in storage (from 128 to 64) and was also the type of person to never delete messages. Just the text thread for me and my wife is like 4GB. I don't really care about the texts themselves, just a lot of baby pictures and all that jazz.

Save the pics to google photos for free.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It has been a LOOONG time since I backed my phone up to my iTunes (or synced there).
I have some .M4R's I made to be tones. I see them in Tones in iTunes. When I plug my iPhone XS MAX in, I cannot drag nor drop nor otherwise get those new Tones on my phone. What am I doing wrong? (or what should I do right?)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

It has been a LOOONG time since I backed my phone up to my iTunes (or synced there).
I have some .M4R's I made to be tones. I see them in Tones in iTunes. When I plug my iPhone XS MAX in, I cannot drag nor drop nor otherwise get those new Tones on my phone. What am I doing wrong? (or what should I do right?)

Mine sync with my iCloud Music Library, but before I used that, they would sync with my music library. I don't recall if "Sync Ringtones" was a specific checkbox, but either way, look at your sync settings.

edit: Or was that the old behaviour? I don't know - they appear in the Tones list and they're greyed out like I can't edit them, so I'm assuming they're synced.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 13, 2019

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Feenix posted:

They took out the normal syncing a while back. I THINK what you have to do is go into iTunes, select the device's library, select tones (if it's visible, I think music will work otherwise), then drag the M4R from Finder/Explorer onto the iPhone's library. Dragging from a file that's already in iTunes doesn't work.

There was a time when they left an old version of iTunes with the normal tone syncing available, but I have no idea if it's still around or if it even works with current versions of iOS.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TVs Ian posted:

They took out the normal syncing a while back. I THINK what you have to do is go into iTunes, select the device's library, select tones (if it's visible, I think music will work otherwise), then drag the M4R from Finder/Explorer onto the iPhone's library. Dragging from a file that's already in iTunes doesn't work.

There was a time when they left an old version of iTunes with the normal tone syncing available, but I have no idea if it's still around or if it even works with current versions of iOS.

This worked 3000.
Thank you! :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ufarn posted:

It's going to be interesting to see what prolonged Qi charging will do to batteries. Honestly, it sounds like a lot of grief for Apple not to make it easier to replace batteries.
Wouldn’t the slower charging rate be friendlier to batteries? Or do you just mean people leaving their batteries topped off constantly? (In which case, yeah the new battery conditioning thing)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When is iTunes scheduled to die?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

When is iTunes scheduled to die?

For macOS, mid-to-late September when Catalina is released. For Windows, it’s sticking around for the time being.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 15, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't cross the picket line.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Amazon Prime day Itunes $50 gift card for $40, though I think it’s physical only

Endless Mike posted:

Don't cross the picket line.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ohh right

Alexa play despacito

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

eBay has $100 cards for $85

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How can I stop web pages from being full screen when I do add to home screen on my XS? They are like an app, which I don’t want.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

KKKLIP ART posted:

How can I stop web pages from being full screen when I do add to home screen on my XS? They are like an app, which I don’t want.

It's a PWA thing I think, and as far as I know you can't stop it from doing that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Liking the 13 beta but they extended the distance you have to swipe to close stuff on my 6s. Can I fix this?

Also man being able to switch BT and WiFi connections from the dock is top poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Anyone with a touchID phone in the iOS 13 beta having serious issues getting Apple Pay to come up reliably? The phone unlocks to the home screen before I can even get the second tap on the home button.

On an 8+ of that makes a difference.