Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Will salt water corrode or otherwise gently caress up my watch? Black stainless steel s4 if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're just going swimming in the ocean, give it a rinse afterward and you should be fine.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Will salt water corrode or otherwise gently caress up my watch? Black stainless steel s4 if that makes a difference.

It’s been fine with my Space Grey S3. You’ll likely get salt crystallise around the button and crown - it’s a bit scary to do this with a piece of tech (but it’s in Apple’s docs), but run it directly under a warm tap while pressing the button/turning the crown.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Rinse it well afterward. Then there’s a water expulsion thing you do with the crown.

Apple markets it with triathletes, surfers, and open water swimmers so you should be golden as long as you follow best practices.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Anyone know what the Milanese loop knockoff du jour is?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Axiem posted:

Anyone know what the Milanese loop knockoff du jour is?

They're all pretty much the same (China special, made in the same factory).

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

UK people, have a look in Currys as they're having a clearance on Apple stuff. I got a magnetic charging dock for less than half price, and I saw a couple of straps marked down too.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

They're all pretty much the same (China special, made in the same factory).

How to they compare to the official Apple one? I know Apple poo poo is way overpriced but am still a bit suspicious of something that costs less than 10% as much.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

watch bands seem to be the exception to that rule

You probably couldn’t tell the difference in person

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't know about the Milanese but I bought a generic sports band and you can absolutely feel the difference.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The black Milanese knockoff band I bought had color wear off around the point where the magnet tended to latch/drag after a few month and it was pretty noticeable. I ended replacing it for another cheap one that I ended up not really using much because the sport loop rules. Haven't bought a milanese (or knockoff) for the 40mm series 4 I'm rolling with now but I've been thinking about just grabbing the real thing because I'm bad with money.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know about the Milanese but I bought a generic sports band and you can absolutely feel the difference.

Apple uses a very high quality silicone for the watch bands. The difference between them and randos on Amazon is night and day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

poo poo will I guess I was misled about watchbands then

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The black Milanese knockoff band I bought had color wear off around the point where the magnet tended to latch/drag after a few month and it was pretty noticeable. I ended replacing it for another cheap one that I ended up not really using much because the sport loop rules. Haven't bought a milanese (or knockoff) for the 40mm series 4 I'm rolling with now but I've been thinking about just grabbing the real thing because I'm bad with money.
Same here, colour is wearing off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

When Watch launched, way back when, I bought a Space Grey SS with the link band. Years later the band is still in amazing shape. The only wear is some very light scuffing on the bottom from where my wrist would rub against a desk or things like that. I still use the band with my new S4.

I wouldn't tell anyone how to spend their money, but sometimes, getting the good stuff is worth it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Best Buy does sell their own magnetic loop band for like 40 bucks if you want slightly more quality than whatever fly-by-night operation is selling them for ten bucks on Amazon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

Best Buy does sell their own magnetic loop band for like 40 bucks if you want slightly more quality than the exact same thing as whatever fly-by-night operation is selling them for ten bucks on Amazon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We compared a fake Milanese loop to a real one and the only difference was the rings were a slightly different size. Also the black wears off as mentioned. But it was $15 vs $150 so that pays for a lot of replacements.

The real sport loop is nicer than the fake ones but again it’s $5 vs $50.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Speaking of sport loops, I bought one the other day (nike black) and damned if it’s not the most comfortable watch strap that I’ve worn in my life.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Until this past year when I caved & got one of these "magical wrist computers", I hadn't worn a watch in 20+ years. So maybe this is just "forgot what watches are like". But boy howdy is the whole sweat thing really gross. I've got a sport loop and I'm pretty sure after only part of a Northeastern US summer it's about 30% sweat by weight.

I assume the ones more resistant to soaking it up are less comfortable (especially as someone with lots of arm hair, the rubber and metal style bands look incredibly painful).

Maybe I should get on that "embed magnets under your skin" body modification craze so I can wear the watch without any band at all! :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't find the silicone sport bands uncomfortable at all.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah dude has the textile variant. I think the silicone sports bands get gross-er by a wide margin. My white S0 silicone band has gross yellow stains. I don't wear it anymore. The textile ones are great though, just shower with them occasionally or throw them in the wash in a bra bag or closed pillowcase.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wear the watch (using a sport loop) into the shower once a week or so to clean it. But I'm pretty sweaty in the summer too and haven't really had issues with rancid gross watchbands, I just do it as a preventative measure.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I’ll be sweating in mine 5-6 days a week for an hour or two a day and if I’m walking around with a moist wristband all day... gross. It says it allows moisture to escape in the product description. Can you elaborate on that, specifically?

E: I mostly want to know how quick it dries as opposed to if it stinks from sweat

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

xzzy posted:

I wear the watch (using a sport loop) into the shower once a week or so to clean it. But I'm pretty sweaty in the summer too and haven't really had issues with rancid gross watchbands, I just do it as a preventative measure.

This is the correct answer here...

One thing I've noticed with the new S4 back is that it'll get gunky as well so a quick shower and you're good to go for both watch and band. I'm firmly in the Sir Mix-a-lot camp that silicone parts are made for toys so sport bands are out for me but the old nylon bands and sport loops have been fine with a little care.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I run every day in mine (and shower with them) and so far no smell. They usually dry up fast, too - I don’t think they ever have been wet just from running.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just shower with the sport loop and it’ll be fine. Maybe scrub it with soap every week or two while you’re in there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The nike style silicone band with all the holes is great for summer heat. Breathes better than solid silicone and doesn't absorb sweat like sport loop.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The nike style silicone band with all the holes is great for summer heat. Breathes better than solid silicone and doesn't absorb sweat like sport loop.

Nike band best band. By a country mile.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Think I have around 5~ bands or so, the only bands I can ever wear are these Nike ones; living in a hot and humid climate ...

Went to a wedding in a far colder state and was able to wear Leather! Was glad to return the classic buckle in time so it was effectively free though.

Apple should probably adjust the range for the climate or I’m just a very sweaty person.. the Sport Loop is extremely comfortable, but not for a humid or sweaty workout.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Has cellular pricing gotten any better? When the S3 came out it was like $15 per month on ATT after fees and taxes which I refuse to do on principle. Have things gotten better since then?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Violator posted:

Has cellular pricing gotten any better? When the S3 came out it was like $15 per month on ATT after fees and taxes which I refuse to do on principle. Have things gotten better since then?

T-Mobile charges me $10/mo to add it to my One Plus account (total of $80 for unlimited everything). I feel that's worth it so I don't have to carry my phone around when I'm walking the hiking trail by my house.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Violator posted:

:lol: gently caress no. It’s still almost $15 per.

I’m ashamed to say I pay for it. Mostly because even though it’s a waste of money 98% of the time, it’s super worth it the 2% of the time I’m out on a run and can stream music. Or checking to make sure my wife isn’t dead in a ditch when she’s out running.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

gently caress are those kind of phone prices normal in the US? I pay like £10 a month for 3GB data, unlimited everything else, If I wanted unlimited data and unlimited everything else it would cost me like £25 a month ($31 USD). That's without a contract.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

AT&T and Verizon are probably the most expensive. If you’re the only one on your plan you’re probably paying $70+/mo (I pay $80-90 after discounts on AT&T). I have unlimited everything AAAAAAAAAND HBO!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
T-Mobile does a $40 unlimited text/call and 10GB LTE plan, no contract needed.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Oh yeah I forgot to mention contracts aren’t a thing anymore.*

*but you still have to lease the phone for several years if you don’t buy it outright. Not a contract, they swear!!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

colachute posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention contracts aren’t a thing anymore.*

*but you still have to lease the phone for several years if you don’t buy it outright. Not a contract, they swear!!

Aren’t they more like unsubsidized 0% loans for the phone now? Ie $10/month for 10 months for your $100 phone (just using simple numbers here) and you can just pay $90 the second month in and you’re done? That’s how I understood it and tbh that doesn’t seem like a bad deal except for the fact that you need to deal with a lovely phone company rep instead of Apple.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well this is a little like the time I found out Americans get charged for ambulance rides and I am thankful for cheaper phone bills but don’t get too jealous yank goons, you still get the devices for a hell of a lot cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

Aren’t they more like unsubsidized 0% loans for the phone now? Ie $10/month for 10 months for your $100 phone (just using simple numbers here) and you can just pay $90 the second month in and you’re done? That’s how I understood it and tbh that doesn’t seem like a bad deal except for the fact that you need to deal with a lovely phone company rep instead of Apple.

Yeah. And they let you trade the phone in every year or two (depending on how much you want to pay every month). It’s not a horrible system I just think it’s a little dishonest to say there’s no contracts.