Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Edge & Christian posted:

Oh yeah I forgot, because it was the mid-1980s, David saw his adoptive dad he thought was his real dad get killed by Arab Terrorists and "got Autism" from it.

Yeah right I bet he got some vaccinations right around the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edge & Christian posted:

This was actually addressed in the original comics, though in a way that makes it clear that it's a Chris Claremont comic from 30+ years ago:

(Uncanny X-Men #161, the first mention/appearance of Gabrielle Haller)

(immediately after this kiss she is kidnapped by Nazis who know that she is the key to finding all of Hitler's lost gold. Magneto and Xavier team up to rescue her from Baron Von Strucker and his band of underground Nazis and the flashback ends)

She's next mentioned about a year later in New Mutants #1, where she appears for one page:

And then this plotline is dropped and left dangling for twenty four issues because that's how Chris Claremont plotted.

Oh yeah I forgot, because it was the mid-1980s, David saw his adoptive dad he thought was his real dad get killed by Arab Terrorists and "got Autism" from it.

:allears: Claremont:allears:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m still along for the ride till the end but spending a whole episode in your last season just to do a baby-David flashback with no real plot advancement or forward movement just feels like spinning wheels.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That's our Hawley!

*everyone starts laughing*

*freeze frame that slowly dissolves into psychedelic spinning colors while obscure '60s song plays in its entirety*

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Hawley's style works optimally as a binge watch but not as a weekly watch. I am, unfortunately, under auspicious circumstances to state this as his best works (Fargo seasons 1 and 2) are his only works I've binge watched. Past Legion season 1, I cannot recommend Legion S2 or Fargo S3 as anything other than binge watching... which is fortunate because they're already finished.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I dunno I watched all of Legion and Fargo week by week and enjoyed them all just fine

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Wafflecopper posted:

I dunno I watched all of Legion and Fargo week by week and enjoyed them all just fine
Right but if you binge any of them, you'll discover just how much better they are.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

beanieson posted:

Yeah right I bet he got some vaccinations right around the same time

Nah, the whole anti-vaxxer movement really picked up steam when Oprah had that piece of poo poo Jenny McCarthy talk about it on her show in the 2000s.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

My personal Xavier is the 90s X-men show one, who's generically pleasant and also has a girlfriend who is a bird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SardonicTyrant posted:

My personal Xavier is the 90s X-men show one, who's generically pleasant and also has a girlfriend who is a bird.

He doesn't go off into space to bang his bird girlfriend, leaving all the X-men and New Mutants to fend for themselves or have Magneto babysit them in that.

night slime
May 14, 2014
When I was a kid I thought Xavier was weird as poo poo cause there was this Ultimate X-Men panel that implied he was keeping Mystique tranformed as a pet cat. I read a bit ago that it ended up being just the cat's name.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

night slime posted:

When I was a kid I thought Xavier was weird as poo poo cause there was this Ultimate X-Men panel that implied he was keeping Mystique tranformed as a pet cat. I read a bit ago that it ended up being just the cat's name.

I realized a few years ago that outside of Spider-Man, Ultimate comics were pretty poo poo.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

twistedmentat posted:

I realized a few years ago that outside of Spider-Man, Ultimate comics were pretty poo poo.

First two volumes of Ultimates were great, there were also a few good limited series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oasx posted:

First two volumes of Ultimates were great, there were also a few good limited series.

Basically anything Loeb did was garbage. Most of Millar was trash too. Bendis was like the only one that wasn't just trying to be edgy.

You know understand old man, twins gently caress all the time in our world! Says Pietro to Captain America while he bangs Wanda with Wolverine watching.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
lmao I’m glad that my entire exposure to comics was from the awesome 90s cartoons

night slime
May 14, 2014
I think the idea of toying with character origins is cool but I do remember always being more interested in New X-Men at the time. I remember thinking the Ultimate Millar comics were supposed to be satire because Captain America was such an rear end in a top hat, then I read about Mark Millar as an adult and apparently it was sincere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's awesome when Aunt May slaps Cap at Peter's Funeral because he was directly responsible for Peter's death.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

One more thing to note, apparently Melanie's actress hasn't even been cast in this season. So, uh.... yeah.... that's a thing.

They wrote out Melanie and Oliver last season in the finale. They are living it up in the cube and no longer concern themselves with the petty squabbles of the world outside.

Generally a disappointing episode. I enjoyed the performances from David's parents but agree it feels like it didn't necessarily require 1/8th of the final season.

So we got the story of how his parents met which had some nice parallels and sweet moments but glaring questions as well. The other thing we got is David and Switch's attempt to go back in time and change things which either was what caused the issue in the first place or failed to change anything. I would have liked to seen the rest of the story up to when David is given away, maybe they'll get to it before the end.

I wonder if this was actually a budget bottle episode of sorts given the majority of the cast doesn't appear.

Levin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 13, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I doubt david's time travel shenannigans are going to stop after one botched attempt. We'll be back for those actors I'm pretty sure.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I got the distinct impression we haven't seen the last of the past. I imagine we'll be getting the aftermath of Xavier's return home and some more of Xavier vs Farouk

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
we didnt even see him go bald from being too drat psychic

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Farouk didn't break his back either.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Time demons? Better call the Legends.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the entire Daddy thing made this whole cult somehow more hosed up, which i did not think was likely

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Okay, using a clip from The Shield's pilot was loving genius

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

lmao it took me a minute to realize what just happened

also okay, yes, those are not cats

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 16, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

david simply needed to remember that he's god

easily the best episode of the season - the most emotional, the creepiest, and featuring the coolest cinematography

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

howe_sam posted:

Imagine if they'd used the FX apartment. Jeff Probst introducing a Mission: Impossible rerun and poo poo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I liked this episode overall, but I'm still unsatisfied with how they've dealt with Syd assaulting her mom's boyfriend. It feels like the writers are trying to convince us that she wasn't a victimizer in that situation, when she absolutely was. I do like how she describes how violated she feels when she switches bodies with someone, though - that at least adds some layers to a character who I think has been very poorly served over the last couple seasons.

The scene with Faroukh, Kerry, and Clark was so cool.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Majorian posted:

I liked this episode overall, but I'm still unsatisfied with how they've dealt with Syd assaulting her mom's boyfriend. It feels like the writers are trying to convince us that she wasn't a victimizer in that situation, when she absolutely was. I do like how she describes how violated she feels when she switches bodies with someone, though - that at least adds some layers to a character who I think has been very poorly served over the last couple seasons.

i think they wanted to remind us that she was also traumatized by that incident, because she was a child with no real comprehension of what sex would be like. but they may have lost sight of the other part, where she was simultaneously someone who, out of curiosity and carelessness, did something profoundly bad with her powers with ramifications to others she didn't really understand.

if you squint hard enough, you can almost see the show moving towards some kind of personal growth where Syd realizes part of the reason she can't get over what David did to her is because she's never really confronted (and reckoned with her guilt over) how she analogously used her powers on others.

we might be on our way to something along those lines, but I'm still afraid we're not going to get there because none of this plot has been handled particularly gracefully

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 16, 2019

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

eke out posted:

i think they wanted to remind us that she was also traumatized by that incident, because she was a child with no real comprehension of what sex would be like. but they may have lost sight of the other part, where she was simultaneously someone who, out of curiosity and carelessness, did something profoundly bad with her powers with ramifications to others she didn't really understand.

if you squint hard enough, you can almost see the show moving towards some kind of personal growth where Syd realizes part of the reason she can't get over what David did to her is because she's never really confronted (and reckoned with her guilt over) how she analogously used her powers on others.

we might be on our way to something along those lines, but I'm still afraid we're not going to get there because none of this plot has been handled particularly gracefully

The only reason I could see some growth being possible (in however few episodes remain), but at the same time doubt it, is Syd's description of what sex was like in comparison to what David did was so out of whack it emphasizes the disconnect that would suggest later revelation. At this point my gut feeling is that the S2 writers liked the idea of David being confronted with the idea that his form of help could be construed by the audience as negative (mind-wiping Syd) and everyone in and out of the show turning on him, but wrote themselves into a corner by having Farouk being so manipulative and evil (and Syd's actions being clearly wrong from the audience perspective) that mind-wiping would come across as too sympathetic, so the mind-wipe also being a (accidental?) roofie got bolted on to shove David into a non-sympathetic position.

I wish the last two seasons were like this episode, though. The forward plot progress with contained story was great, to say nothing of the visuals/storytelling.

I thought the time eaters looked a lot like Blue Meanies.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
here's a cool behind the scenes special effects article.

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/legion-marvel-FX-behind-the-scenes-KNB-Howard-Berger

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
You know when you start scaring the poo poo out of forces that exist beyond space and time it might be a sign you've gone off the deep end. At the same time drat I loved David explaining that things that hurt him aren't real.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 16, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Zachack posted:

I thought the time eaters looked a lot like Blue Meanies.

:lol: Yes! 100% this! They looked familiar to me but I was having trouble putting my finger on it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
the time eaters were loving awesome

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yes! this is the mindfuckery I signed up for.

The Lenny scenes were terrifying in a good way and having her be the only person whose mind David would not violate can us to some interesting places.
David officially declaring war is of course absolutely not a sign of his declining self restraint, he is just as sane and wise as he ever was!

And lastly those Blue Meanies worked a lot better then I'd have imagined.

E: searching for Time Eaters got me to an interview with the FX guy which contains spoilers for things yet to appear, so take this is a warning.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 16, 2019

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was an allround amazing episode.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Oasx posted:

That was an allround amazing episode.

It was vintage Legion, on par with S01E07 (or whatever ep it was where everybody was frozen in the astral plane). The time eaters and cinematography were awesome.

So I guess David now has the confidence/capability to manipulate time himself now that he's remembered his godlike status? Also, what was that last thing he said at the end of the episode?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

such a disparity in quality with the last episode I practically got whiplash injury.

there's definitely a need for an episode guide that can recommend a new watcher the only episodes worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

By popular demand posted:

there's definitely a need for an episode guide that can recommend a new watcher the only episodes worth watching.

I couldn’t disagree more, telling people what episodes of a tv show to watch is terrible, and should never be done. You wouldn’t tell people to skip chapters of a book either.

I agree that last weeks episode was a little weak, but it wasn’t bad, and it is certainly important to the overall story.