Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Come to think of it, was it ever actually confirmed anywhere that Sothis and Rhea are the two spoilery wlw romance options mentioned by leaks/reviewers, or is that just speculation being repeated as fact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Zyxyz posted:

Come to think of it, was it ever actually confirmed anywhere that Sothis and Rhea are the two spoilery wlw romance options mentioned by leaks/reviewers, or is that just speculation being repeated as fact?

As far as I know, it's not confirmed, but they're about the only possibilities left among the known cast so far.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Zyxyz posted:

no, and tbh I think the screenshot of the other romance options is fake at this point because otherwise a few more would've popped up to back it up, including, you know, the feminine other half...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

no, and tbh I think the screenshot of the other romance options is fake at this point because otherwise a few more would've popped up to back it up, including, you know, the feminine other half...
A game reviewer faked a support log screen for the purposes of...???

Like if it was some rando 4chan post sure but the fact that someone put their name to it makes me think its real, esp. since it lines up with some other stuff

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zyxyz posted:

The first one was in the Leak That Was Right About Everything Else.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Because it was brought up a page or two ago, supposedly we actually do know the weapon skill rank up requirements now from somewhere. Serenes has the whole chart up, but the key number is going to be 680 points, because that's what it apparently takes in total to reach Rank B (starting from E rank, subtract 40/100 if starting at E+/D). B is important because it's apparently the target skill rank all those students looking for skill in a weapon for recruitment are looking for.

Points are going to be slow to accumulate too - an attack gets you 1/2/3 points (depending on dislike/neutral/like), instructing gets you 2/4/6, and those weekly seminars you can attend get you a whole ??/24/32. So yeah, if you want to recruit someone in order to actually use them for a decent amount of the school phase you're going to have to be hammering away at that skill basically from the word go - particularly magic skills. This is probably also why all the people who've played it are talking about managing to get at most like 2 extra students.

Caveat: I have no clue where they got their information from, so it could be false, but it's detailed enough that it seems pretty reasonable based on what we've seen so far.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I thought early reviews were saying everyone, or at least the vast majority, is bi? Since you can't have kids that would make sense AND please the most amount of people. Is that not true? Or do we just not know?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One reviewer posted some screenshots of Byleth's support list and that does not seem to be the case.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Because it was brought up a page or two ago, supposedly we actually do know the weapon skill rank up requirements now from somewhere. Serenes has the whole chart up, but the key number is going to be 680 points, because that's what it apparently takes in total to reach Rank B (starting from E rank, subtract 40/100 if starting at E+/D). B is important because it's apparently the target skill rank all those students looking for skill in a weapon for recruitment are looking for.

Points are going to be slow to accumulate too - an attack gets you 1/2/3 points (depending on dislike/neutral/like), instructing gets you 2/4/6, and those weekly seminars you can attend get you a whole ??/24/32. So yeah, if you want to recruit someone in order to actually use them for a decent amount of the school phase you're going to have to be hammering away at that skill basically from the word go - particularly magic skills. This is probably also why all the people who've played it are talking about managing to get at most like 2 extra students.

Caveat: I have no clue where they got their information from, so it could be false, but it's detailed enough that it seems pretty reasonable based on what we've seen so far.

With how slow weapon ranks are to raise, I wonder if NG+ might carry those over? To give more freedom in who you can grab and how many you can grab

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
everybody postin bs in this thread and not posting any evidence smh

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Eimi posted:

I thought early reviews were saying everyone, or at least the vast majority, is bi? Since you can't have kids that would make sense AND please the most amount of people. Is that not true? Or do we just not know?

There was one preview that said everyone was/can be really flirty with Byleth, regardless of gender, but Byleth's actual same-sex S ranks are pretty limited and I think I read somewhere that Byleth is the only character who even has S ranks?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't really like S ranks so that would be cool.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't really like S ranks so that would be cool.

I kind of agree. Awakening and especially Fates suffer when the writers have to contrive scenarios where every possible combination of characters can spontaneously fall in love after four conversations without ever impacting the plot. Since they aren’t making the Fates mistake of trying to shove kids into a narrative that doesn’t have room for them, why bother letting the player play dating simulator with everyone?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Geostomp posted:

I kind of agree. Awakening and especially Fates suffer when the writers have to contrive scenarios where every possible combination of characters can spontaneously fall in love after four conversations without ever impacting the plot. Since they aren’t making the Fates mistake of trying to shove kids into a narrative that doesn’t have room for them, why bother letting the player play dating simulator with everyone?

People love shipping.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

McTimmy posted:

People love shipping.

True, but it’s removes potential for the narrative to build relationships when they have to keep things blank enough to allow for the player to slap whatever couple they want together. Would you rather have a few romances that develop over time and flesh out both characters and effect the plot, or the old standard of “three conversations followed by spontaneous declaration of love”?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

one dumb reviewer talked about everyone having 'bi energies' without any actual specifics. that dude sucks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bileth

Geostomp posted:

True, but it’s removes potential for the narrative to build relationships when they have to keep things blank enough to allow for the player to slap whatever couple they want together. Would you rather have a few romances that develop over time and flesh out both characters and effect the plot, or the old standard of “three conversations followed by spontaneous declaration of love”?

Well since Byleth can still romance everyone*, it doesn't seem that that will be a thing that happens either

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Geostomp posted:

What I want is irrelevant (now and forever). People want shipping so they'll get shipping then start shipping things not supported in-game anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

Bileth

Well since Byleth can still romance everyone*, it doesn't seem that that will be a thing that happens either

I'd be pretty happy if certain A ranks lock Byleth's ability to get an S rank with someone but that's probably wishful thinking.

Also, shipping is fine and it's dumb to be mad about it. People shipped characters before they introduced S ranks and some characters from previous games had multiple paired endings and it was less awkward than the Fateswakening system.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ike and Soren were a couple, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The real reason Dimitri goes all anti-establishment is to protect his commoner-born lover Dedue

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

McTimmy posted:

People want shipping so they'll get shipping then start shipping things not supported in-game anyway.
yeah, and it owns hard

shipping is the best thing in the world

source: idolmaster yuri doujins

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I hope I can make Hilde and Raphael kiss.

Not like, actually kiss, just smooching their big plate visors together.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Folks in this fandom have been arguing for like 16 years over who Hector and Lyn shack up with

Shipping wars are a long and proud tradition here

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

They were arguing about who Lachesis shacks up with even before that.

Nerds gonna ship.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hector: farina
lyn: florina
lachesis: uhhhhhhh dew

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

hector: farina
lyn: florina
lachesis: uhhhhhhh dew

Isn't Lachesis' debate exclusively between Fin and Beowulf due to apparently having children from both canonically?

Also, I agree with the FE7 picks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Isn't Lachesis' debate exclusively between Fin and Beowulf due to apparently having children from both canonically?

Also, I agree with the FE7 picks.
Other way around. The shipping debate started with FE4 (to the point that even the official mangaka were taking sides, not just picking one for obvious reasons but actively trying to push down the other option), and when Thracia came out they decided to make both sort of canon in order to not piss off any one side. (of course the implication that Lachesis cheated on Finn and that Beowulf was just a sidepiece meant that nobody was happy, but at least it made for lots of angsty fanart.)

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
i mean idk, i like s-ranks because it definitely adds another layer for these relationships keeping it only for byleth is kinda lame. I'm mostly hoping for 2 sets of supports, one for pre time skip and one for post tho.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i low key kinda hope some characters hook up in the five year skip so B can't s-rank them or something just for the outrage from the creepy fans

Endorph posted:

A game reviewer faked a support log screen for the purposes of...???

Like if it was some rando 4chan post sure but the fact that someone put their name to it makes me think its real, esp. since it lines up with some other stuff

views, I guess? who knows what lurks in the hearts of men

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

GenericMartini posted:

i mean idk, i like s-ranks because it definitely adds another layer for these relationships keeping it only for byleth is kinda lame. I'm mostly hoping for 2 sets of supports, one for pre time skip and one for post tho.

They could have gone with DA's method of characters having set relationships when not in a romance with the player character. Or a certain combination of characters who could romance one another. That way the devs would have more direction and could write stuff that made sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meallan posted:

They could have gone with DA's method of characters having set relationships when not in a romance with the player character. Or a certain combination of characters who could romance one another. That way the devs would have more direction and could write stuff that made sense.
that just makes it feel like the player is stomping in and destroying the 'canon' relationships tho, and the latter option is what fe's already done before

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Spanish Eurogamer article seems to suggest that there are four routes.

quote:

Nintendo speaks of completely independent stories, new scenarios and up to four games in one 

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sounds like that confirms the leak for about four routes for the game:

• Blue Lions route
  • Golden Deer route
  • Black Eagles but you tell Edelgard she needs to be less tyrannical
  • Black Eagles but you tell Edelgard she needs to be more tyrannical

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The fourth route is Revelations but Good

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Going to start my first run on Hard i think, the 3ds games got way too easy on normal after promoting.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Carlosologist posted:

The fourth route is Revelations but Good

I will take any route that does not involve Invisible Enemies (but you cannot talk about them or else you'll die.)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the secret route is just the teachers forming an union

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Four routes was so obvious that I'm surprised it counts as a points for the leaker. There's always some sort of true/alt route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, it's pretty reasonable to assume that most/all A-ranks between characters will function effectively the same as S-ranks for Byleth - with Byleth getting the extra rank both for a bit extra for the PC, plus letting you get the same mechanical bonuses before the timeskip as everyone else (since S is locked until afterwards). Particularly since a bunch of the same sex characters only go up to B rank - though not all of them.

And while preexisting relationships would be interesting, it would kind of remove one of the reasons to have cross house supports, since it'd be hard to do any preexisting relationship endings for that, what with probably killing them if you don't recruit them.