Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Keith Atherton posted:

I live in Seattle right under the northern approach to SeaTac and the Flightradar24 app is fun

A320s are the only “noisy” jets that fly over regularly

There was a gas station right at the threshold of 14R at O'Hare where I used to go all the time. Seeing and hearing (and feeling) a laden Atlas Air 744 on takeoff from the 32L end displacing the air as it flew overhead while getting gas never got old.

Also, can confirm that hush kits are only in name. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I went to college right next to McChord AFB in the late 80s and early 90s and never got used to the C 141s. Holy poo poo those things were loud

i knew we were getting close to actual war in January 1991 when it seemed like it was non stop idling and takeoff noise

Sound of freedom :911:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Finger Prince posted:

They should just adopt software version style nomenclature and call it the 737 Max 8.1 (or go the android route and call it the 737 Banana Split or something)

Model 737 Mk X bis.

New 737™

767 Mini

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Xenoborg posted:

On B-52s 2 of 6 crew stations still eject down. They dont have a great reputation. But its still better than the other 1-4 people who don't have a seat and get to try and jump out!
The other four seats all eject through the top of the B-52. Are you confused and thinking of an Avro Vulcan or something?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Model 737 Mk X bis.

New 737™

767 Mini

737 Ausf M

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

drgitlin posted:

The other four seats all eject through the top of the B-52. Are you confused and thinking of an Avro Vulcan or something?

I was just saying that whichever plane he was thinking of that used to but no longer had downward seats wasn’t the B-52.

The Other 1-4 didn’t refer to the the people in the upper ejection seats. For the usual crew of 6-10, there are only 6 ejection seats. Anyone without a seat in a bailing situation gets to just jump out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That ejection from the CF-18 that had a low altitude compressor stall at the Lethbridge airshow a few years back hosed that pilots back up big time. Saw an article a little while ago and I think it said he hasn't flown since due to it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 16, 2019

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Lots of guys in the initial pred/reaper community were fighter pilots who had ejected and it hosed them up so much they couldn’t fly real airplanes anymore. I knew a guy who went from 5’11 to 5’10 after his ejection.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
737 Airbus

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
737 Flat because its pitch is downnnnnn

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

e.pilot posted:

Ejection seats: Slightly better than death!™

Maybe you won’t die.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

7Green7 EcoSafe.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Model 737 Mk X bis.

New 737™

767 Mini

757 with “Tuned by Everett” lowered sport suspension

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The L-39 itself is late-1960s tech, and while later Soviet designed seats are apparently pretty good, I doubt that one is much more advanced that what you'd get in a MiG-15.

Edit: found this lovely thread while looking in vain for details on the L-39s seats:

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79877&start=30

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 16, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you're going to buy a stupid trainer jet, get a yak 130. :3:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wasn't there a group of millionaires who had their own civilian L39 squadron or something?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The US senate.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

e.pilot posted:

757 with “Tuned by Everett” lowered sport suspension

Wouldn't "Tuned by Everett" be a massive lift kit and mud tires?

Ola posted:

7Green7 EcoSafe.

You're hired!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

A family member was friends with a wealthy guy who eventually bought an L-39 and trained to race at Reno. He had grown up motorcycle racing and I think even did NASCAR racing. He was a super nice guy and helped them through their college years when he owned some car dealerships and would let them borrow a car and gas card to come visit our family during holidays. I was told if I could manage to meet up I would get a ride.

When he got the L-39 his wife joked that she had to learn how to pack lightly since she no longer had room for luggage. I don't remember what he had before that, but it was some kind of twin prop he traveled around in, primarily between homes in Wyoming and Florida. He also went in on making one of those private airport communities where you live next to the runway as well as started a FBO.

But he crashed in his first race.
https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/wyo-pilot-dies-in-race-crash/article_f5513b9c-713c-53ab-b326-893c3235c53d.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Finger Prince posted:

Wouldn't "Tuned by Everett" be a massive lift kit and mud tires?

So a -100 with a gravel kit?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

priznat posted:

737 Flat because its pitch is downnnnnn

:pusheen:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

quote:

After experiments with instrumented dummies, Fulton continued to experiment with live pigs, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 miles per hour (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured but in a disoriented state.[2]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfMKBEegpvM

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

So a -100 with a gravel kit?

Soot filled exhaust, probably runs on red diesel... so far it's all checking out...

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

tag urself, i'm "the spooky skymaster"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
737-blockchain

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

azflyboy posted:

737-blockchain

Block-and-tackle is more the level of tech they're working with.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Model 737 Mk X bis.

New 737™

767 Mini

Given how this MAX-thing is shaping up, I propose the same naming scheme grad students apply to papers shortly before the deadline. This can be iterated while the 737 goes through several revisions:

737-final
737-final2
737-final2-last-edits
737-final2-last-edits-for-real
737-final-final

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
"are we looking at the file with the number 3 in the file name, or where three is spelled out"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s the one that’s exactly the same as the one below it but it has two spaces to make it sort first.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wait, so which version was compatible with the newest MCAS patch? Guys I'm concerned.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Given how this MAX-thing is shaping up, I propose the same naming scheme grad students apply to papers shortly before the deadline. This can be iterated while the 737 goes through several revisions:

737-final
737-final2
737-final2-last-edits
737-final2-last-edits-for-real
737-final-final

737-Ultim8

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I can definitely imagine Boeing's and airline management deciding that branding is their most pressing problem.

Can't wait for a 737-8200 to lawndart itself and the general flying public to refuse to get on any 737

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

I can definitely imagine Boeing's and airline management deciding that branding is their most pressing problem.

Can't wait for a 737-8200 to lawndart itself and the general flying public to refuse to get on any 737

Marketing is pretty much all they do in house these days so it makes sense

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Just rename poo poo. The old Rollercoaster Tycoon method.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
737-100%

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

737 Titanium Edition

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Boeing 370neo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Imagine a world where Boeing releases an A390 airliner.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

Wait, so which version was compatible with the newest MCAS patch? Guys I'm concerned.

None of them.

poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
737 evo.

Or something involving X'es and mixed case.

It was kinda funny how a bunch of kit planes and LSA's did that about 15 years after it got played out with cars.