Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I enjoyed the Royal Rumble commerical where Orton just showed off all his skull tattoos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFX_mJPga8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Who are the best guys/best examples of matches with guys (or gals) who get really talkative during the actual matches? Either with their opponent, the crowd, or both. It's one the things I've always felt missing (or at least seemingly, pointedly de-emphasized) in WWE, to the point that the guys that do it really stand out.

Kevin Owens is one of my favorites for this, as an example. Lance Archer's G1 this year so far has been really entertaining to me, and at least personally, that's a big reason why. It's just a real missing element of character building for me when it's absent.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Zack Gibson is good at this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FakePoet posted:

Who are the best guys/best examples of matches with guys (or gals) who get really talkative during the actual matches? Either with their opponent, the crowd, or both. It's one the things I've always felt missing (or at least seemingly, pointedly de-emphasized) in WWE, to the point that the guys that do it really stand out.

Kevin Owens is one of my favorites for this, as an example. Lance Archer's G1 this year so far has been really entertaining to me, and at least personally, that's a big reason why. It's just a real missing element of character building for me when it's absent.

MJF yelling at his partners (who he didn't care for) to "take notes" at Fight for the Fallen was great.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Halloween Jack posted:

Sometimes a move just becomes associated with a wrestler so much that no one else can do it without calling that person's style to mind. Can anyone do a crossface chickenwing without being a sadistic heel?

it always feels weird to see faces do camel clutches for this reason

even when a heel who isn't, specifically, an evil foreigner heel does one it stands out to me

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

FakePoet posted:

Jay White does this a lot during the match and makes him even more hateable

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Jay White does this a lot during the match and makes him even more hateable

Hah, I love Jay White, and that's a big reason why. Omega is the same, though his is more like an anime narrating how bad-rear end he (thinks he) is while doing his moves.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
YOU CANNOT ESCAPE

*proceeds to escape*

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

TheCool69 posted:

Any other good examples of someone established (not a jobber) clearly doing everything humanly possible to get their opponent over. And in the same time not trying to seem cool or keep their own heat. So basically being unselfish (so no Hogan/Warrior or HHH/Jericho)

Hall/Waltman comes to mind as well as Rock/Brock.

william regal had an amazing technical showcase on a European tour with daniel bryan after he lost in 18 seconds and made him look like a million bucks.

undertaker losing the streak to brock followed by cena losing to brock both selflessly made him look like the strongest wrestler ever.

bret hart vs mr perfect for the ic title when bret kicked out of the perfect plex.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hogan/Brock

A lot of guys on the list put over Brock selflessly that they never did before or since. Brock's just a once in a generation talent freak.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Didn't Hogan try like hell to get his win back on Brock, but WWE was smart enough not to let Hogan anywhere near him?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

TheCool69 posted:

Any other good examples of someone established (not a jobber) clearly doing everything humanly possible to get their opponent over. And in the same time not trying to seem cool or keep their own heat. So basically being unselfish (so no Hogan/Warrior or HHH/Jericho)

Hall/Waltman comes to mind as well as Rock/Brock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tdDHSYJ7g

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Undertaker won the match but he made Jeff Hardy look like a worldbeater in that ladder match.

Rock put over Hurricane massively over the span of several weeks. The payoff for that was HHH destroying Hurricane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Q_res posted:

Didn't Hogan try like hell to get his win back on Brock, but WWE was smart enough not to let Hogan anywhere near him?

I believe he agreed to the clean loss on the expectation he would get to have his win back later.

It was basically the flip side of that Hogan/HBK thing where it was supposed to be two matches with a win for each of them, which (from memory) became Hogan wanting a clean win in both, which then turned into a single match where HBK threw one of his old style tantrums and just turned the thing into a complete comedy match. Only in this case, they let Hogan think he'd be getting his win back but then just abandoned the feud once they'd gotten what they wanted from him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

I believe he agreed to the clean loss on the expectation he would get to have his win back later.

It was basically the flip side of that Hogan/HBK thing where it was supposed to be two matches with a win for each of them, which (from memory) became Hogan wanting a clean win in both, which then turned into a single match where HBK threw one of his old style tantrums and just turned the thing into a complete comedy match. Only in this case, they let Hogan think he'd be getting his win back but then just abandoned the feud once they'd gotten what they wanted from him.

Hogan only wanted a clean win in both because HBK wanted to win the first one, and was bitching and moaning about it. Hogan isn't stupid when it comes to wrestling politics, so he knew if he did, Shawn wouldn't ever do the job in return. (All of this is according to Meltzer)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HBK was never 1/10 of the star Hogan was and Hogan had no reason to job to him

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

HBK was never 1/10 of the star Hogan was and Hogan had no reason to job to him

Hogan was a draw, at least. HBK didn't draw poo poo when he was on top.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah and this was in what, 2006? It’s not even like putting over the hot young thing in Lesnar. Putting another old dude over who’s not anywhere near as big of a star makes no sense

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

Yeah and this was in what, 2006? It’s not even like putting over the hot young thing in Lesnar. Putting another old dude over who’s not anywhere near as big of a star makes no sense

It was even funnier since HBK had played politics basically forever, then he got schooled by the master.

Edit: I think HBK's gimmick pre-original DX run was holding him back a bit. Dudes in the audience: "A male stripper... yay?"

Edit 2: Remember when MSG turned on him for Sid, of all people? lol

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 16, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randaconda posted:

It was even funnier since HBK had played politics basically forever, then he got schooled by the master.

Shawn had basically gotten away forever with Vince siding with him over everybody else so it was kinda hilarious that he ran headfirst directly into The Great Orange Goblin.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Okay so I was in some dark YouTube hole last night and it was another wrestling pop video. One of the entries was for “Say My Name” between Black and Velveteen Dream.

What was the premise of this feud? It looks different from the usual wwe formula but I’ve seen little to nothing about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh it was so good, Velveteen Dream decided he wanted a shot at Black who just completely ignored him/considered him so completely inferior that it wasn't even worth learning/saying his name. Suffice to say that Dream freaked out about this lack of respect and became obsessed with proving Black wrong. When they finally fought they had a hell of a match which Black eventually won, but afterwards he finally deigned to acknowledge him and say his name and the crowd went loving nuts like Dream had just won the main event of Wrestlemania.

It was so, so, so cool. I had hoped that Dream/Black might have actually played around with the idea of being a tag team in one of the Dusty Classics or something but nothing more ever really came of it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 16, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They left money on the table by not having one of them get beat up by a dastardly tag team only for the other’s music to hit for the jesusest of jesus pops

E: Black even went straight into a feud with Adam Cole! They had the perfect chance to do it

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Edit: I think HBK's gimmick pre-original DX run was holding him back a bit. Dudes in the audience: "A male stripper... yay?"

Edit 2: Remember when MSG turned on him for Sid, of all people? lol

you say that like sid wasnt beloved in ny. (he was.)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Puckish Rogue posted:

Okay so I was in some dark YouTube hole last night and it was another wrestling pop video. One of the entries was for “Say My Name” between Black and Velveteen Dream.

What was the premise of this feud? It looks different from the usual wwe formula but I’ve seen little to nothing about it.

The premise was "How To Get Someone Over In Defeat 101"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AkumaHokoru posted:

you say that like sid wasnt beloved in ny. (he was.)

I love Sid, tbh :kiddo:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

NXT has repeatedly done a great job of having people lose in a way that makes you desperate for them to win next time, it’s probably the thing they’re best at

Sami Zayn
Becky Lynch
Bayley
Johnny Gargano
Ember Moon
Bianca Belair

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kairi Sane

:sigh:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hey I didn’t say they’re best at giving you the big win, just at making you want it! :v:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh it was so good, Velveteen Dream decided he wanted a shot at Black who just completely ignored him/considered him so completely inferior that it wasn't even worth learning/saying his name. Suffice to say that Dream freaked out about this lack of respect and became obsessed with proving Black wrong. When they finally fought they had a hell of a match which Black eventually won, but afterwards he finally deigned to acknowledge him and say his name and the crowd went loving nuts like Dream had just won the main event of Wrestlemania.

It was so, so, so cool. I had hoped that Dream/Black might have actually played around with the idea of being a tag team in one of the Dusty Classics or something but nothing more ever really came of it.

I figured it was semi-recent so didn’t ask if the feud led anywhere as Black got poached by Vince. Still, from what you guys have said they missed out big.

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah that was part of the attraction. It cut in with Black on the microphone so it was clear he’d lost, by the massive pop was clearly for Dream getting recognised so I was really intrigued about the history.

Cheers guys. I’ll see if I can find more of it because at the very least the match should be a banger judging from what reaction I’ve seen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I randomly watched the clip of Flair inducting Piper into the Hall of Fame and holy poo poo was it uncomfortable hearing him make constant references to sexually harassing and assaulting women, especially the Plane Ride from Hell where WWE actually had to financially settle with the flight attendants that complained about him.

EDIT: poo poo, that wasn't a question. Um, who is the most disappointing second generation wrestler? I don't count someone like David Flair because it seems he was forced into it and he always would have rather been a police officer.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 16, 2019

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I randomly watched the clip of Flair inducting Piper into the Hall of Fame and holy poo poo was it uncomfortable hearing him make constant references to sexually harassing and assaulting women, especially the Plane Ride from Hell where WWE actually had to financially settle with the flight attendants that complained about him.

EDIT: poo poo, that wasn't a question. Um, who is the most disappointing second generation wrestler? I don't count someone like David Flair because it seems he was forced into it and he always would have rather been a police officer.

Cody Hall? Curtis Axel?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

im always a little bummed out thinking about ricky steamboat's son richie, who had a couple of matches in really early nxt then had to retire due to injury. dude's only 32 today.

ted dibiase jr. was far and away the least successful of wwe's "kids of guys you know" stable in the mid-00s.

e: the right answer is cody hall actually. he's so unremarkable i even forgot he existed. i think tama tonga was roasting him on twitter saying something like "you've got a famous name and you're 6'5" and you still can't get bookings??"

e2: billed at 6'10" good lord he must be awful lol

shiksa fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 16, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

David Sammartino, if we look at the heights his father reached.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Cody Hall? I had no idea Scott's son had gotten into wrestling. Is it a charisma thing or an in-ring issue with him?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cody Hall? I had no idea Scott's son had gotten into wrestling. Is it a charisma thing or an in-ring issue with him?

It's an attitude thing. He's been bodied on twitter a couple times by Joey Janela, NJPW and NOAH both cut him for his attitude, and as Janela pointed out when you're a 6'9 son of Scott Hall, there's hypothetically no reason for a total lack of interest like there is for Cody.

He's also not good in the ring, but you can at least sorta excuse that by pointing out he's greener than hell.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's an attitude thing. He's been bodied on twitter a couple times by Joey Janela, NJPW and NOAH both cut him for his attitude, and as Janela pointed out when you're a 6'9 son of Scott Hall, there's hypothetically no reason for a total lack of interest like there is for Cody.

He's also not good in the ring, but you can at least sorta excuse that by pointing out he's greener than hell.

he started in the njpw dojo six years ago

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Another interesting question is to look at the other side, kids who eclipsed their parents careers.

Bray Wyatt has had a more important career than IRS for example. Randy Orton as well.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dacap posted:

Another interesting question is to look at the other side, kids who eclipsed their parents careers.

Bray Wyatt has had a more important career than IRS for example. Randy Orton as well.

Just think how much bigger Bray could have been if he had ever won a feud when it was important. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

STONE COLD 64 posted:

he started in the njpw dojo six years ago

He also got a “huge” push as Bullet Club’s first/only Young Lion. Granted, that meant just eating pins in multi-man tags, but it still should’ve been a huge boon to his career. Pretty disappointing that he went nowhere fast after his injury/departure from NJPW. It’s a shame he never evolved past “Scott Hall’s kid that does Scott Hall things but not as good as Scott Hall.”

Has any wrestler’s kid EVER succeeded while just rehashing their parent’s gimmick/mannerisms?

Edit: Charlotte Flair might count, I suppose, since she leans into “WOOOO”ing and such.