Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm kinda shocked that Mike knows anything about KotR, he never struck me as someone who was all that into gaming or knew anything at all about video games in general. Maybe Rich clued him into it?

Hell I'm shocked were getting KOTOR movies at all. But I wouldn't get my hopes up that it's gonna be based on the games. I think it's just an excuse to make Star Wars movies set when the Order was at it's height, Which I don't have a problem with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

How bad would Mike's reaction be to both the KDF and Starfleet storylines of Star Trek Online?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

How bad would Mike's reaction be to both the KDF and Starfleet storylines of Star Trek Online?

[drunken mumble about “video game poo poo”]

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fabricated posted:

A podcast I listen to did a reading of Moviebob's book and I don't think I can make it through

I was loving dying during work listening to this podcast lmao

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Alaois posted:

Orphan is a great superhero name, it conveys so much pathos and relatability. What would you prefer, something like Ms. Sensitive?

Non-Binary Sadness Human

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah those all got thrown out the window. The only thing we know is definitely happening is the Rian Johnson trilogy which will be the 'main' trilogy, but there is nothing known about it. I'm sure we will hear more at either Comic-Con or D23 in the next couple of months.

Is that still happening? I had gotten the impression that the GoT dudes' project had replaced it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Motto posted:

Is that still happening? I had gotten the impression that the GoT dudes' project had replaced it.

Johnson and the GoT guys things have always been running parallel

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alaois posted:

Orphan is a great superhero name, it conveys so much pathos and relatability. What would you prefer, something like Ms. Sensitive?

There's already a Mr. Sensitive

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, Barbara's out of the wheelchair because they decided she should be The One True Batgirl again when DC did a big reboot. I'm not even personally sure how it happened.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Unless they sent her back to the wheelchair in the past couple years she hasn't been wheelchair bound since the New52 first started. With the kindaReboot she became The One And Only Batgirl and Steph and Cassandra didn't exist until... I wanna say Steph returned and became Spoiler in Batman Eternal?

All this while over the course of 5 years Batman went through all 4 main Robins, fully in their comfiest positions preReboot (except Tim was in a weird place), but Steph as Robin still never happened.

DC weirdly hates their legacy characters, so Cass and Steph were in limbo for a few years, and Wally was eventually remade into a completely separate character before they changed their minds and now there are 2 Wally Wests.

E: also Killing Joke DID happen but Barbara got better.

Yeah, like I said all I had was animated media, Arkham Asylum games and whatever word of mouth I'd catch here and there. My info on Barbara was her morally opposed to being able to walk again until that technology is freely available to everyone and not just her. I didn't know anything about the reboot.

Oh no, are Ivy and Harley still friends after the reboot struck? :ohdear:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah Harley and Ivy are friends at the moment.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I Before E posted:

There's already a Mr. Sensitive

That's a dumb name, they should call him The Orphan! Way more marketable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Just gals being pals. Wink.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I was loving dying during work listening to this podcast lmao
I had to skip like 15 seconds off and on just to survive it. I can't believe Bob thought the book was something anyone would want to read or something that he should share.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 16, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's a fella I've been following for a while now, SNESDRUNK. He does a lot of "is this game worth playing nowadays" videos with a calm, relaxed voice that breaks down the good and bad parts of various old games. Sometimes does recent stuff too. Also all of his videos start off with a goofy "SSSSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNESDRUNK" voice clip he records for each one.

due to this video I definitely want to check out Ruff 'n' Tumble, it looks like a fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcrX7-psjI&hd=1

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And Ivy is mostly a Swamp Thing villain now which kind of works.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are you confusing Disney with DreamWorks here? Even counting Pixar movies, Disney is very careful about what it sequelizes in full movies, especially after all the DTV trash from the late Eisner era. It's fine milking a cash cow when it finds one, particularly for merch, but we're only just now getting a second Frozen for a reason (the reason is merchandise sales falling off.)
It's easier to find Disney movies that don't have straight to dvd sequels/prequels than not.
The Mulan sequel is probably the most baffling sequel Disney has ever made. The entire movie centers around marriages but it's totally cool because non of them end up being arranged marriages!

Hey Pop Arena, thanks for recommending that Magical Girl retrospective on twitter.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I still find it weird that out of all the prequel things included there one of the things they DID put in was a member of Watto's own race as a store proprietor who specializes in mid to cheaply made toys and goods.

Because...well y'know...

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I only know The Movie Robert through his godawful tweets, so I decided to check out one of his videos.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/06/20/watch-dogs-legion-and-the-political-cowardice-of-ubisoft/

Cool to see that in addition to having terrible opinions, his videos are sub-Channel-Awesome-In-2011 quality. If you can make it through the entire thing, you're a stronger person than I am.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I still find it weird that out of all the prequel things included there one of the things they DID put in was a member of Watto's own race as a store proprietor who specializes in mid to cheaply made toys and goods.

Because...well y'know...

Too bad they missed the opportunity to have a Panda Express staffed by those aliens who ran the space station.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sarcopenia posted:

It's easier to find Disney movies that don't have straight to dvd sequels/prequels than not.
The Mulan sequel is probably the most baffling sequel Disney has ever made. The entire movie centers around marriages but it's totally cool because non of them end up being arranged marriages!

Hey Pop Arena, thanks for recommending that Magical Girl retrospective on twitter.

I never disputed there weren't sequels? I was saying that Disney found other ways to make eternal profits off of animated movies that means they only have to crank out a sequel to them every 5-10 years. They don't have to worry about actors aging out of animated roles or getting tired of all the filming the same way as live action stuff.

Disney didn't buy Star Wars with the primary goal of churning out 5 or 10 or 50 movie sequels. They bought it so they could resuscitate the brand and integrate it and all its tertiary material into a constant source of merchandising revenue, just like the MCU. When the bubble finally bursts on either franchise's movies, they'll let them lie fallow for a few years and come back with a "triumphant reboot" until the heat death of the universe. They'll still be selling Star Wars poo poo in stores the whole time.

Also the most baffling sequel is either The Hunchback of Notre Dame II (because we really needed a plot about Quasimodo finding a girlfriend?) or Pocahontas II just for thinking they should make a Pocahontas sequel where they do an offensively vague impression of her time in England.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
no, the most baffling sequel is the fox and the hound 2, where the fox and the hound join a band and end the movie by saying they'll always be friends no matter what

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

god, what a trainwreck of a game. I literally cannot believe this is a product that was made by humans, it is such a mess.
edit: WRONG GAME gently caress

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 16, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TGLT posted:

I mean, it's actually pretty easy to believe when you check into any postmortem on it. Sega only started it in late 2004, they wanted it on the 15th anniversary and they were locked into that date by a contract with Microsoft, Yuji Naka resigned and took a chunk of the team with him, and then the team had to be split again because the Wii couldn't handle 06 so they needed to make a new game for it. All this for new rear end consoles they hadn't really messed with before. Plus they couldn't really cut back on the scope.

He's talking about Sonic Forces, though?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

He's talking about Sonic Forces, though?

Oh gently caress me I see bad Sonic game I think Sonic 06 immediately.

Yeah Sonic Forces is loving baffling. That game was in development alongside Sonic Mania. I'd love to know why they ended up reusing so many assets and still made so little actual game despite the 3-4 year development time.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 16, 2019

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pocahontas II
Oh god I forgot about that one yikes.

corn in the bible posted:

no, the most baffling sequel is the fox and the hound 2, where the fox and the hound join a band and end the movie by saying they'll always be friends no matter what
Not a sequel.:colbert:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I only know The Movie Robert through his godawful tweets, so I decided to check out one of his videos.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/06/20/watch-dogs-legion-and-the-political-cowardice-of-ubisoft/

Cool to see that in addition to having terrible opinions, his videos are sub-Channel-Awesome-In-2011 quality. If you can make it through the entire thing, you're a stronger person than I am.

I remember watching some of his videos all the way back in the early Escapist days. It seems his production values haven't improved much since then.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Because...well y'know...

This blatant anti-Italian racism will not stand!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The new Jim Sterling video is another one covering a BBC story about kids cleaning out their parents' money for microtransactions, but this one is about mobile games like Clash of Clans and a "find the object in a picture" game. That latter one was particularly egregious because it took advantage of a 21-year-old with multiple developmental disabilities who didn't know any better. I walked away from that with two things:

1. Why is the BBC doing this expose and not a games news website like Kotaku or Polygon? When your best sources of game industry news are from mainstream news outlets and Forbes, something is wrong. And it also undermines a point in one of Jim's videos about said games news outlets reviewing Game of Thrones and things that are very much not video games: that the unrelated stuff pays for the good content.

2. Remember when mobile gaming was the future of video games? Good times.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Disney didn't buy Star Wars with the primary goal of churning out 5 or 10 or 50 movie sequels. They bought it so they could resuscitate the brand and integrate it and all its tertiary material into a constant source of merchandising revenue, just like the MCU. When the bubble finally bursts on either franchise's movies, they'll let them lie fallow for a few years and come back with a "triumphant reboot" until the heat death of the universe. They'll still be selling Star Wars poo poo in stores the whole time.
I can see the bottom falling out of Star Wars pretty quickly, to the point where it could be a footnote in Disney's ever-growing catalog of IPs in a few years. It seems to resonate far less with kids these days than Marvel does. I'd go as far as to say the main audience for new Star Wars movies are millennials and Gen X, and it feels like it has a bigger following among the latter generation because we grew up with the prequels and increasingly CGI-filled redos of the classic trilogy, followed by years of critiques telling us how bad those were.

Also, Marvel has a treasure trove of storylines and characters to mine. While it's possible to make a Star Wars story that isn't the usual, it's hard. And they're not going to go to the extended universe because those have been declared to be non-canonical.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

get that OUT of my face posted:

Also, Marvel has a treasure trove of storylines and characters to mine. While it's possible to make a Star Wars story that isn't the usual, it's hard. And they're not going to go to the extended universe because those have been declared to be non-canonical.

Not quite; While Legends continuity is indeed non-canon, writers are already lifting the better parts of it into Disney canon. Star Wars: Rebels had Thrawn to contend with for three seasons, and he was fantastic in it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The new Jim Sterling video is another one covering a BBC story about kids cleaning out their parents' money for microtransactions, but this one is about mobile games like Clash of Clans and a "find the object in a picture" game. That latter one was particularly egregious because it took advantage of a 21-year-old with multiple developmental disabilities who didn't know any better. I walked away from that with two things:

1. Why is the BBC doing this expose and not a games news website like Kotaku or Polygon? When your best sources of game industry news are from mainstream news outlets and Forbes, something is wrong. And it also undermines a point in one of Jim's videos about said games news outlets reviewing Game of Thrones and things that are very much not video games: that the unrelated stuff pays for the good content.

2. Remember when mobile gaming was the future of video games? Good times.
This problem has gone beyond being just a gamer problem, it's a problem for pretty much everyone now. It's being reported by the BBC because normal people follow the BBC. People who understand the many things you can do with water.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; While Legends continuity is indeed non-canon, writers are already lifting the better parts of it into Disney canon. Star Wars: Rebels had Thrawn to contend with for three seasons, and he was fantastic in it.

I even see them pick stuff that came out of the old West End Games RPG.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shame that you have to put up with the rest of the show's bullshit if you want to see Thrawn.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

I'd go as far as to say the main audience for new Star Wars movies are millennials and Gen X, and it feels like it has a bigger following among the latter generation because we grew up with the prequels and increasingly CGI-filled redos of the classic trilogy, followed by years of critiques telling us how bad those were.

Millennial here, and my first time seeing SW was the special edition theater releases. I was 11 when TPM was released. We're all in the same boat.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dabir posted:

This problem has gone beyond being just a gamer problem, it's a problem for pretty much everyone now.
Ain't that the truth. Access is more important than the truth in journalism.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

After Civvie became friend of the retro fps thread he attempts to become a friend of the Rougelike thread with Nightmare Reaper.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ain't that the truth. Access is more important than the truth in journalism.

I meant the microtransaction problem but you're probably not wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Hell I'm shocked were getting KOTOR movies at all. But I wouldn't get my hopes up that it's gonna be based on the games. I think it's just an excuse to make Star Wars movies set when the Order was at it's height, Which I don't have a problem with.

Eh, we're getting KOTOR movies?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

If nothing else a KotOR trilogy would finally wrap up the missing third part of that story that BioWare numb-balled on when they jumped ship to work on Mass Effect and then came back to after the fact with a couple of books no one read and one quest line in the Old Republic MMO that even fewer people played.

Unfortunately it's going to be handled by Dan Weiss and Dave Bennioff, so the Exile's going to go crazy at the sound of an alarm beeping and nuke Coruscant in the final ten minutes of the third movie because she just kind of forgot about the Sith armada :negative:

Wait they're making a moving of KotOR?

I guess I'll actually step in a theatre for the first time since becoming an adult and watch it so I can bitter about the things they did wrong from the game.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair with Lucas now not involved they can do the takes on the Jedi and the force from Kotor that he hated so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think you mean the Kotor 2 critical take. Kotor 1 and Old Republic are love letters to the films.